Obiwan
Go Cards !!
+196|6702|The Ville
To start it off my computer was running really slow for a bout 2 weeks. Then all of the sudden it won't even let me go into windows. It says ....win32 file needs to be repaired. So I'm like ok I'll do this and maybe it will take me to the desktop so I can reinstall windows. It wouldn't even let me repair the file. ??? I'm thinking there is a virus on there or something ?

2. Is there anyway I can reisntall windows threw doss or the command prompt ? If so please dumb it down a lil bit so I can do it succesfully without messing anything else up. +1 for really good tips and advice.

3. One of my friends said it could be my hard drive fried but I want at least see if I can reinstall windows.

4. It won't even let me start it in safe mode either.

5. I think I'm just Fuc*ed.

6. PLEASE HELP !!!!

https://f10.putfile.com/thumb/8/21820102255.jpg

Last edited by Obiwan (2006-08-07 17:29:10)

RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6572|Area 51

Obiwan wrote:

To start it off my computer was running really slow for a bout 2 weeks. Then all of the sudden it won't even let me go into windows. It says ....win32 file needs to be repaired. So I'm like ok I'll do this and maybe it will take me to the desktop so I can reinstall windows. It wouldn't even let me repair the file. ??? I'm thinking there is a virus on there or something ?

2. Is there anyway I can reisntall windows threw doss or the command prompt ? If so please dumb it down a lil bit so I can do it succesfully without messing anything else. +1 for really good tips and advice.

3. One of my friends said it could be my hard drive fried but I want at least see if I can reinstall windows.

4. It won't even let me start it in safe mode either.

5. I think I'm just Fuc*ed.

6. PLEASE HELP !!!!
7. I think u should first try to reinstall windows, and else it might be a hardware flaw..
BTW if it is ur HD that aint working anymore that it will give a other message then ''the win32 files needs to be repaired''

Last edited by RDMC(2) (2006-08-07 16:40:40)

PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6535|Portland, OR USA
I've seen this happen a number of times actually.  The only solution I've found is to re-install Windows.  DO NOT format and re-install Windows, just re-install Windows.  This will get you back up and running and able to access your files.  Back everything up, and THEN format and reload Windows again.  Don't just leave it on a Windows over Windows install - badness.  Really really badness.

You'll be all back up w/ no more than about 3 hours - depending on you.
Obiwan
Go Cards !!
+196|6702|The Ville
It won't even let me go into windows .....how can I riesntall threw doss ? IT won't let em select any options threw my keyboard either (yes its plugged in right.
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
put your windows CD in the drive.  It should prompt you to press the any key to start windows install.  Find the any key, press it - and then install windows.  If your disk is already in the drive, then your BIOS is not set up properly with its boot order.  Check your  boot order and make sure that the CD and floppy are higher in priority to your hard drive.  I'd recommend floppy, then CD, then hard drive.
Obiwan
Go Cards !!
+196|6702|The Ville

PuckMercury wrote:

put your windows CD in the drive.  It should prompt you to press the any key to start windows install.  Find the any key, press it - and then install windows.  If your disk is already in the drive, then your BIOS is not set up properly with its boot order.  Check your  boot order and make sure that the CD and floppy are higher in priority to your hard drive.  I'd recommend floppy, then CD, then hard drive.
+1
CookieMonster117
+0|6642
Put windows and reboot your pc and when it restarts keep pressing F2 and that will boot directly to windows.
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6605|Seattle

I would try hooking up your hard drive to another, working computer (just unplug the cd rom on the good computer and put the questionable hard drive there) when you get into windows (on the good machine) go to My Computer and make sure you can see the second hard drive (I'll assume the drive letter will be D: ) Then go to start-->run  type    cmd    and press enter. once in the command prompt, type     chkdsk d: /F

This will run a test and if it finds errors on the hard drive, you should replace it.

Last edited by King_County_Downy (2006-08-07 16:55:02)

Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
psh, my idea is like SO much better ...
Obiwan
Go Cards !!
+196|6702|The Ville
I'm going to try them all one will work lol. This is so agervating, the picture is there. Click it for full size.

Last edited by Obiwan (2006-08-07 17:17:26)

PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
if you're getting that message, you've gone too far.  If you are booting to your CDROM drive, you will never get to that point.  Is your Windows install CD in the CDROM drive and your boot priority set right?  Sometimes F12 will bring up a boot menu which will allow you to manually select your boot device as well.
Obiwan
Go Cards !!
+196|6702|The Ville
Yes, window's cd is in my drive and the proritys are set right.. F12 didn't do anything
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
what kind of windows CD is this?

There's no way to get to the screen you've posted without passing by the part where you should have seen a windows install prompt
Obiwan
Go Cards !!
+196|6702|The Ville
Window's pro.
Brasso
+1,549|6638

PuckMercury wrote:

lmao the any key.  gotta love that any key! +1
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42

Obiwan wrote:

Window's pro.
is it a retail full install, an upgrade CD (look closely) an OEM disk (Dell, HP, etc) ...

EDIT:

haffeysucks wrote:

lmao the any key.  gotta love that any key! +1
I was rather disapointed that no one commented - thanks 

Last edited by PuckMercury (2006-08-07 17:45:59)

Obiwan
Go Cards !!
+196|6702|The Ville
Well, It's a burnt version so.... Full install. It does work because I used the same cd to insall windows. Should I try a true copy ?
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
put that CD in another computer and reboot it and see if that other computer then tries to install Windows ... verify boot settings on that other computer too, blah blah blah - you get the drill.
Obiwan
Go Cards !!
+196|6702|The Ville
Awesome, I will try. I'm having a friend come over tommorow who is a computer wiz so hopefully he can get it up and running. I just called him and he said he could come over and help me. I will post here later on all what we did. Puck your awesome dude thanks for all the advice, another +1 coming your way when my 24 hour period is up.
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
good luck, glad to help - hope it ends up doing some good.

The point of the previous suggestion in case it wasn't clear was to verify the viability of that disk as a boot disk.  If the second computer also ignores it and goes straight into windows, you know it is a problem with that CD.

Happy installing.
Point&Shoot
Tank Whore
+52|6554|Canada

Obiwan wrote:

2. Is there anyway I can reisntall windows threw doss or the command prompt ? If so please dumb it down a lil bit so I can do it succesfully without messing anything else up. +1 for really good tips and advice.
http://f10.putfile.com/thumb/8/21820102255.jpg
I'm sorry if nobody else is going to say anything, I will.  It is "through" not "threw" if you took you computer and sent it flying out your window, you could say you threw it.  Not a biggy but now you know.

But "doss"???  Doss???  DOSS???  I know you couldn't find a clue with a map, compass, and orange smoke, so I'll give you one.  On the house...the acronym in which you are attempting to refer to is for Disk Operating System or DOS.  Technically any operating system that allows to access and write information to a drive is a DOS ie: Windows, Linux, BSD, Unix, Mac O/S, etc...  The more common version in which you are attempting to allude to is MS-DOS, or Microsoft Dos which previously PC-DOS which Billy bought from Seattle Computer Products as QDOS for 50k and then turn it around and sold it to Big Blue (IBM).  The rest is history.  What you seem to be getting at is using command prompt which is the text based interface that allows a user to access the OS in a fashion similar to the original MS-DOS pre-GUI days.

Sorry just had to get that off my chest.
It's a damn good thing that Chuy took -karma out.
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
dude, he's probably 12 - chill
Obiwan
Go Cards !!
+196|6702|The Ville
I am not 12 and I don't know that much about computers.
DeadJim
+19|6756|Valencia, California
quick note: when you boot off the CD, it may offer a 'R' repair option - try it, but don't hold your breath.  If it doesn't clear it up for you, boot off the CD again - don't select that repair option - it will then scan and should find an existing windows installation - it will then offer again to repair windows.. at this point, you can smile.

Let it try to ressurect your OS - it will replace the system files with those on the CD.

Should all go well, you'll launch back into windows.  Forget BF2 at this point - you need to re-activate windows and spend the next 3 hours installing updates.

Should windows refuse to authorize, don't worry too much - just call the toll free number, deal with the automated system, and than a friendly voice from India will ask you some additional questions.  When they ask, tell them that this copy of windows is installed on only one compuer and you simply had suffered a harddrive failure.

grab updated audio and video drivers, and let us know how it goes.

DeadJim

Last edited by DeadJim (2006-08-07 18:51:42)

PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
lol, wasn't meant to be insulting, just trying to make a point, obiwan

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard