Poll

How many Americans know of the burning of Washington D.C.?

Yes, you do know about the event.75%75% - 109
No, you didn't know.24%24% - 35
Total: 144
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6734|SE London

redhawk454 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Would you trust a country that had been kidnapping your citizens and putting them in their armed services when they said they'd stop?
They did stop. Trust was not even an issue as the Americans hadn't even heard of the cessation, the embargoes had been officially ended, they were over.

Towards the end of the war, at which point you seem to think the British were losing, the British had just triumphed over Napoleon (a dangerous adversary, not like the US) and sent reinforcements to the Navy, who then won every engagement they were involved in. More troops had been freed up to go and fight the US, but they couldn't be bothered. So they burnt down your capital and went home. I've never heard anything about the Americans marching on London.

You lost - face it.
Ok, you got us. Our government is yours. Come and get it. Reeeealy come and get IT. lmfao
You seem to be quite badly informed on what constitutes winning a war. Let me put it into contempory terms for you.

When Saddam annexed Kuwait he was driven out by American led UN forces. This was a victory for the UN.

When the Americans tried to annex Canada they were driven out by the British. This was a victory for the British.

The two incidents are not entirely parallel, but there are undeniable similarities.

Also, I thought we did come and get your government when the British burnt down the US capital.
redhawk454
+50|6701|Divided States of America

jonsimon wrote:

redhawk454 wrote:

This guy contradicts himself. Above he says "to invade you need to conquer",  then says Americas invasion was repelled?
He isn't contradicting himself. What he meant is that an airplane flying over land is not invading. Where as a soldier marching over land is. The plane can't stop wherever he wants and set up a basecamp, the soldier can.
So when Americas bombers flew over Baghdad and bobed the hell out of them. We didnt "Invade" them. Not until Americas troops crossed the border.
jonsimon
+224|6648

redhawk454 wrote:

jonsimon wrote:

redhawk454 wrote:

This guy contradicts himself. Above he says "to invade you need to conquer",  then says Americas invasion was repelled?
He isn't contradicting himself. What he meant is that an airplane flying over land is not invading. Where as a soldier marching over land is. The plane can't stop wherever he wants and set up a basecamp, the soldier can.
So when Americas bombers flew over Baghdad and bobed the hell out of them. We didnt "Invade" them. Not until Americas troops crossed the border.
Correct. We attacked them, perhaps brutally, but one has not invaded until land is occupied.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6734|SE London

kr@cker wrote:

you're applying bf2 "win/lose" black & white logic to warfare, there are many possible outcomes to entire wars and individual battles, each acheived goals they set out for, not all of them, as the US did not gain territory, and the treaty of Ghent put the US on the fast track to becoming a world power, which was less than desirable for......king george was it?, that status being all but written in stone with the louisiana purchase
Not entirely true.

The Treaty of Ghent was a Status quo ante bellum treaty. It didn't set anyone on the road to anything.
America's display of military prowess in the war DID help them, but was not an initial goal.

America lost the war, but got a lot of respect for doing as well as they did.
redhawk454

jonsimon wrote:

redhawk454 wrote:

jonsimon wrote:

Correct. We attacked them, perhaps brutally, but one has not invaded until land is occupied.
In your copy of the dictionary what was #2?
jonsimon
+224|6648

redhawk454 wrote:

jonsimon wrote:

redhawk454 wrote:

In your copy of the dictionary what was #2?
I don't know about my dictionary, but in my copy of wikipedia it states, "An invasion is a military action consisting of armed forces of one geopolitical entity entering territory controlled by another such entity, generally with the objective of conquering territory or altering the established government."
redhawk454
(Definition of invasion from dictionary.com "The act of invading, especially the entrance of an armed force into a territory to conquer."

Invading :
in·vade   Audio pronunciation of "invading" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (n-vd)
v. in·vad·ed, in·vad·ing, in·vades
v. tr.

1. To enter by force in order to conquer or pillage.
   2. To encroach or intrude on; violate: “The principal of the trusts could not be invaded without trustee approval” (Barbara Goldsmith).
   3. To overrun as if by invading; infest: “About 1917 the shipworm invaded the harbor of San Francisco” (Rachel Carson).
   4. To enter and permeate, especially harmfully.)
USARANGER01
+35|6801|America
hey, um, does anyone remember when britian was getting their asses kicked in WWII then we came in and saved them?? and u cant say u were doing good by urself, because almost every single piece of military equiptment u had during the battle of britian, and almost all the food and supplies u had was comming directually from us
redhawk454
An encroachment of airspace by military aircraft Is considered an invasion by many countries.
jonsimon
+224|6648

redhawk454 wrote:

(Definition of invasion from dictionary.com "The act of invading, especially the entrance of an armed force into a territory to conquer."

Invading :
v. tr.

2. To encroach or intrude on; violate: “The principal of the trusts could not be invaded without trustee approval” (Barbara Goldsmith).
   3. To overrun as if by invading; infest: “About 1917 the shipworm invaded the harbor of San Francisco” (Rachel Carson).
Not every definition of ivade in the dictionary refers to a military invasion. The wikipedia article, however, refers purely to military invasions.
redhawk454

USARANGER01 wrote:

hey, um, does anyone remember when britian was getting their asses kicked in WWII then we came in and saved them?? and u cant say u were doing good by urself, because almost every single piece of military equiptment u had during the battle of britian, and almost all the food and supplies u had was comming directually from us
Dont get em started, our food was bad and we didnt include any tea.
redhawk454

jonsimon wrote:

redhawk454 wrote:

Invading :
v. tr.

Not every definition of ivade in the dictionary refers to a military invasion. The wikipedia article, however, refers purely to military invasions.
Ok name some other forms of "invasion" that that doesnt apply to.
EDIT: when was the last time a trustee was on a war council?

Last edited by redhawk454 (2006-08-07 10:14:40)

Eagle
Togs8896 is my evil alter ego
+567|6784|New Hampshire, USA
Did any one know about the battle in New Orleans?  America lost a few hundred guys and Britain lost a couple thousand.  The funny thing, though, is that this battle happened a few days after the treaty was signed and neither side knew about it.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/14407/Sig_Pats.jpg
Widow_Warrior
+7|6641|SOUTH ENGLAND
http://www.funnyjunk.com/funny_pictures … ican+women
your navy may be better , but who cares when we have things like this

Last edited by Widow_Warrior (2006-08-07 10:20:02)

redhawk454

Widow_Warrior wrote:

http://www.funnyjunk.com/funny_pictures/752/European+women+vs+American+women
Good one. I guess thats why American servicemen take European wives away from European men. My uncles wife is British.
redhawk454
American women are for the most part lazy. They dont feel they should have to work.
Widow_Warrior
+7|6641|SOUTH ENGLAND

redhawk454 wrote:

Widow_Warrior wrote:

http://www.funnyjunk.com/funny_pictures/752/European+women+vs+American+women
Good one. I guess thats why American servicemen take European wives away from European men. My uncles wife is British.
yeah that may be , but its only the sluts , slappers , ho's, whores and pigs left , by the time we have finished .LMAO
Widow_Warrior
+7|6641|SOUTH ENGLAND

redhawk454 wrote:

American women are for the most part lazy. They dont feel they should have to work.
I know , and when they do work , its burger king right
redhawk454

Widow_Warrior wrote:

redhawk454 wrote:

I know , and when they do work , its burger king right
Not even. They feel it should be behind a Desk in air conditioning.
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6702|Southeastern USA
haha! warrior!! I've missed you guys, had to quit bf2 and trying to recruit with you cuzza work, just started playing again a couple of weeks ago

they won't let me use the "jesusfuckingchrist" pic on here

I hope i dont start feeding off your energy and get banned, think i've been on the edge for a while

Last edited by kr@cker (2006-08-07 10:30:25)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6734|SE London

redhawk454 wrote:

An encroachment of airspace by military aircraft Is considered an invasion by many countries.
No it isn't.

It's considered an act of war by many countries - that is a totally different thing.

To invade you need to occupy
Smaug
This space for rent
+117|6730|Arlen, Texas
Hey didja know Britain burned Washington?
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6919|UK

redhawk454 wrote:

Vilham wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

If I remember correctly I think it was repelled, and I know the US won a series of naval battles as well. The US didn't sit on their duffs asking Britain to sign a treaty.
Well the americans nearly lost about 10 times. Just gunna get my book about it and ill list them.
The key word is "nearly".  Hitler NEARLY bombed the bloody hell out of London didnt he?
Yes nearly lost it ALL. Ie you lost all 10 things, but you nearly completely lost. The British forces suffered one defeat of note at Yorktown. Ill post the first part of my long post in a second.

O and btw Hilter DID bomb the bloody hell out of London, just like most cities in England.

Last edited by Vilham (2006-08-07 11:07:59)

Smaug
This space for rent
+117|6730|Arlen, Texas

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

On January 8, 1815, American forces, under General Jackson, decisively defeat the British forces trying to capture New Orleans. The battle, which takes place after the Treaty of Ghent has been signed, is the most decisive American victory of the war.

From the same site.

I agree that many were misinformed, but it is easy to see why they were incorrect.
The Battle of New Orleans

Well, in eighteen and fourteen we took a little trip
along with Colonel Jackson down the mighty Mississip.
We took a little bacon and we took a little beans,
And we caught the bloody British near the town of New Orleans.

We fired our guns and the British kept a'comin.
There wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago.
We fired once more and they began to runnin'
down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico.

Well, I see'd Mars Jackson walkin down the street
talkin' to a pirate by the name of Jean Lafayette [pronounced La-feet]
He gave Jean a drink that he brung from Tennessee
and the pirate said he'd help us drive the British in the sea.

The French said Andrew, you'd better run,
for Packingham's a comin' with a bullet in his gun.
Old Hickory said he didn't give a dang,
he's gonna whip the britches off of Colonel Packingham.

Well, we looked down the river and we see'd the British come,
and there must have been a hundred of 'em beatin' on the drum.
They stepped so high and they made their bugles ring
while we stood by our cotton bales and didn't say a thing.

Old Hickory said we could take 'em by surprise
if we didn't fire a musket til we looked 'em in the eyes.
We held our fire til we see'd their faces well,
then we opened up with squirrel guns and really gave a yell.

Well, we fired our cannon til the barrel melted down,
so we grabbed an alligator and we fought another round.
We filled his head with cannon balls and powdered his behind,
and when they tetched the powder off, the gator lost his mind.

We'll march back home but we'll never be content
till we make Old Hickory the people's President.
And every time we think about the bacon and the beans,
we'll think about the fun we had way down in New Orleans.

We fired our guns and the British kept a'comin,
But there wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago.

Well, they ran through the briars and they ran through the brambles
And they ran through the bushes where a rabbit couldn't go.
They ran so fast the hounds couldn't catch 'em

But there wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago.
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!
+271|6909|United States of America
Up until WWII I would say Britain was the largest military power in the world.  Most anyone could have invaded and probably won.  The only reason we are the super power now is because of our build up of arms in WWII and we have stayed prepared so we don't have to drop nukes again, so we don't have to kill thousands and millions.  We are proud of our victory in the Revolution. Who wouldn't be?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard