AnarkyXtra
BF2s EU Server Admin
+67|6780|Hanging onto the UAV
A law has just been passed allowing UK pubs and clubs to open for longer if they wish - even all day and all night.

For those who don't know the deal, all bars and pubs used to have to stop serving alcohol at 11pm, Monday to Saturday, and 10pm on Sunday. Nightclubs could serve until 1.30 or 2pm. If a landlord wanted an extension over and above the usual drinking hours on any given night, they'd have to go to a magistrates court to apply for the extension well in advance.

A few bars in my neighbourhood have increased their opening hours as a result of the new law - but only by a few hours at the most (e.g. used to shut at 11pm, now shutting at 12am or 1am). I don't know if any local nightclubs have applied to increase their opening hours past 2pm.

The debate currently runs on two sides:

1): Lax licensing laws will mean an increase in alcohol-fuelled violence and an eventual increase in alcohol-related illness;

2): The lax laws will result in a drop in alcohol-related violence/crime, because the bars won't all be shutting at the same time and thus won't be turfing out customers at the same time. Alcohol-related illnesses will eventually drop because customers will no longer be inclined to 'binge drink' in order to have their fill by 11pm (in the instance of a pub).

Incidentally, the old law of having the bars shut at 11pm dates back to the First World War, when the government wanted to ensure that factory workers wouldn't get too hammered the night before and be unable to work toward the war-effort.

Anyone have any views? What're the drinking laws like where you live?
hurricane2oo5
Do One Ya Mug !!!
+176|6757|mansfield
i think its fu*king brilliant. more beer, more aftershock and more pussy

mansfield rocks people
fdcp_elmo
Rules over Sesamestreet
+5|6748|The Netherlands
whats your problem man it goes allright in the rest of the world so why not in the UK
AnarkyXtra
BF2s EU Server Admin
I never said I had a problem with it. And 24hour drinking isn't the law in every country - hence why I asked what people thought of it, and the debates that go with it.
alf.ha
+5|6733|Berlin/Germany
No problem for us, for example here in Germany, but possibly a problem for the uks......   ;-b
Oh they can drink............................................
No no, i think it is no problem, it is absolutely normal in other countries.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6830
The world is Easing into 24 hour mode. people work nights weekends etc .  there is a whole Class off people that only wake up at 1:00 am. From a Party aspect, in New york City, Aspen Etc only kids and losers go out before 11pm. Most of the cool places open after 1pm. that way you dont have to see sharkey mcshark Anrakyxtr etc

when they come out of bowling allys
jag1973
Bushwhacker
+1|6837|Tegucigalpa, Honduras
I think that it may create problems at first, because people will abuse their new right, YES! patrons will get pissed in every sense of the word. maybe after a couple of months it will move towards what seems like before the new law. It will stabilize, with new rules new problems arise, like geting to work later, people will lose their jobs, i think that for some people it is hard to keep control of themselfs, other have what seems as a natural abillity to hold their liquor. In general life will just carry on, as a thorn or as a petal the new rule is here to stay and everyone will have to adapt.

Last edited by jag1973 (2005-11-24 12:36:45)

AnarkyXtra
BF2s EU Server Admin

Horseman 77 wrote:

that way you dont have to see sharkey mcshark Anrakyxtr etc when they come out of bowling allys
Shoulda known you'd add something like that on the end. Thankfully, you and I will never actually meet. Except hopefully on the electronic battlefield, where a cursory glance through your stats reveals that I don't think I've anything to worry about.
thinner44
+1|6802
There are a couple of ways to look at this. The UK currently stands at the very top in Europe for drink related illnesses, of that, cirrhosis of the liver being the main theme. Approximately 6,500 people in the UK die each year through drink. Drink related crime is at an all time high, be it, anti-social, sexual assult or assault, it's all on the 'up'.
However, this is now, just before the new licensing laws. After 'now' comes the real test, having said that, there are very few pubs/bars/clubs that have actually applied for the new licence. Most of the new licenses have gone to supermarkets and local shops. Where I live, there are no pubs/clubs applying because they can't find the staff to fill the positions... who wants to work all night in a pub for £5.50 an hour.

I'm not in favour of 24 hour drinking, which doesn't mean I'm against it. I believe in a free society where people can drink when they want to and enjoy themselves at any hour of the day or night, but our past record is against us. We don't have the 'cafe' style streets of the continent, we have piles of vomit, streams of piss, broken glass, bodies strewn here and there... acts of extreme violence, rape and other sexual assaults. So if you do want a drink at 3am, go for it, enjoy it, have a blast, but remember you have a responsibility, not just to yourself, but to others.

Think also, how long did it take until you were sober enough to drive to work the next day.... would it be the same if you did go for a drink at 3am ?

I'm all for fun, fun is great, but the reality is very different.

Edit: This being very much on topic. George Best : The former Northern Ireland star had a liver transplant after his own failed following years of alcohol abuse.
He's now in intensive care on life support, unlikely to last the day after multple internal bleeds, organ failure and multiple organ infection. People like George Best die every day under these conditions through years of alcohol abuse. Sobering thought isn't it.

Last edit: George Best died today 12:55pm London time. Another statistic to a drink related death.

Last edited by thinner44 (2005-11-25 10:06:54)

dirtyepics
+19|6725|England
I think with any luck it'll mean that people don't go out so early and don't binge drink.  The biggest problem is 15-20 yr olds but that'll never change I was the same.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6830

AnarkyXtra wrote:

Horseman 77 wrote:

that way you dont have to see sharkey mcshark Anrakyxtr etc when they come out of bowling allys
Shoulda known you'd add something like that on the end. Thankfully, you and I will never actually meet. Except hopefully on the electronic battlefield, where a cursory glance through your stats reveals that I don't think I've anything to worry about.
hey I looked at your stats*. Wow you click your left mouse button really good !

* No I didn't I could care less, But you do Realize your just clicking a mouse button Right?
Hakula
+1|6737|Turku - Finland
BAD! Who the *BEEEB* whants to work with drunken morons 24/7?
I don't... it's enough to when you watch them 6-8 hours a day.
AnarkyXtra
BF2s EU Server Admin

Horseman 77 wrote:

* No I didn't I could care less, But you do Realize your just clicking a mouse button Right?
Am I? Am I really? Oh jesus I wondered what this thing on my desk was! Thanks for clearing that up.
-=Meshekal=-
+2|6734|United Kingdom
I agree with argument 2), AnarkyXtra.

I'm from UK as well, and I quite like it that we now have the freedom to stay out as long as we damn well want to . And it might actually help with the violence...but...I guess we'll have to see on that one. Dirty Chavs (Scallies etc, they seemed to be called differently in other areas) still exist, after all.
FeloniousMonk
+0|6728
If someone dies from a liver disease due to alcohol abuse they have only themselves to blame. George Best, whatever he was, made his own choices. No one forced him to drink, no one forced him to abuse the drug. Anyone that gets so hammered they're late for work the next day has no one else to blame. If people want to abuse a drug, let them. It's not my body, I don't care what they do with theirs. It's only when someone else gets hurt should the government take action; if a man beats another man to within an inch of his life because he's drunk, let him waste away the rest of his life in a jail cell. If he kills the man, fry the fucker. People make their own choices in life, let them face the consequences.

Hakula wrote:

BAD! Who the *BEEEB* whants to work with drunken morons 24/7?
I don't... it's enough to when you watch them 6-8 hours a day.
Where the hell do you work that allows people to come in to work drunk? I'd say it's a problem with your company/country if you have people boozing it up on the clock.

Last edited by FeloniousMonk (2005-11-25 11:51:14)

Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6830

AnarkyXtra wrote:

Horseman 77 wrote:

Am I? Am I really? Oh jesus I wondered what this thing on my desk was! Thanks for clearing that up.
Lol your pretty funny i was just joking anyway, Baiting you.
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6763|AUS, Canberra
canberra brought some law in a few yrs ago that after 4 am clubs and bars couldnt sell grog but i think its not in action anymore as the club i do security at sells drinks up till about 9am, i know a few others that do too.

there isnt really a prob with it here

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard