-[Silver.Inc*
BF2s AU Server Admin
+315|6616|Melbourne, Australia.
G'day,

I hooked up my wireless ADSL today (moved house, originally had cable-new location doesn't support cable) and every now and then (especially while playing bf2) my internet just drops out.
More annoying though, while in BF2, about every 5 mins or so I get massive lag spikes (usully only last half a second or so) which makes my screen jump and my ping goes up to about 700 and then drops.
What could be causing this problem? What can fix it?
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6845|NÃ¥rvei

Call your provider and ask him to check your log !
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
scottomus0
Teh forum ghey!
+172|6672|Wigan. Manchester. England.
i was the same mate with my wireless.

i just plugged in a RJ45 cable in my router to pc and it solved everything

Last edited by scottomus0 (2006-08-04 05:22:50)

mavrick 3399
EA GAMES PATCH EVERYTHING
+102|6577|Doncaster UK
give me the names and numbers of the 2 chicks in your sig and i will think about helping you

go with the Rj45 cable helped me!

Last edited by mavrick 3399 (2006-08-04 05:21:40)

-[Silver.Inc*
BF2s AU Server Admin

scottomus0 wrote:

i was the same mate with my wireless.

i just plugged in a RJ45 cable in my router to pc and it solved everything
Which basically makes the wireless modem, no-so-wireless? I was thinking of doing that-but theres a problem with it.
The new house I moved into, we're renting, which means we haev to go through all the shit to get permission to drill holes into the walls etc. I'm pretty sure it will fix the problem though, anyway i'll see how the wireless goes for another few days and then I mite think about getting cords into this .
Mr.E
HakLaw in the house
+103|6596
-[Silver.Inc*
BF2s AU Server Admin
G'day, when following your instructions, when I set it to 'stop' my internet disconnects.
SkoobyDu
'CLICK JOIN NOW'... OK lets go... BOOM!!!! =FFS=
+120|6597|Cheshire, UK

mavrick 3399 wrote:

give me the names and numbers of the 2 chicks in your sig and i will think about helping you
Agreed...

Without knowing what all you settings are set to Its very hard to diagnose a problem, All I can say Is that I run BF2 on a DR laptop over a wireless connection and have no problems at all.
SkoobyDu
+120|6597|Cheshire, UK
What make is your laptop? - is it completely up to date? If its running the intel centrino processor then there has been an update to the drivers recently. Have you updated the firmware in the router recently? Have you added software or changed any configurations recently?

Have you done ping tests or tracert's to see if its on your network or outside that the problem?

The slightest and simplest thing could be affecting it.
motherdear
+25|6687|Denmark/Minnesota (depends)
i have exactly the same problem at the moment and i can tell you that a reformat is worthless here or at least when i do it to my pc so it must be a configuration.
SkoobyDu
+120|6597|Cheshire, UK
A format should be absolute last option once everything else has failed. Make sure all of your drivers/firmware is up to date and check again.

How old is the router?
shaga_delik
+8|6701|Brighton, UK
You could try changing the channel the wireless router is using?  Might be something in the buidling that is interfering with it.
-[Silver.Inc*
BF2s AU Server Admin
What make is your laptop? - is it completely up to date?

'tis not a laptop, its a PC yes its completly up-to-date.

Have you done ping tests or tracert's to see if its on your network or outside that the problem? Nope.

I formatted my computer about a week ago.

How old is the router?

about 2 days

How do I change the channel?

Last edited by -[Silver.Inc* (2006-08-04 07:33:40)

Brasso
+1,549|6666

-[Silver.Inc* wrote:

G'day, when following your instructions, when I set it to 'stop' my internet disconnects.
I think it only works if you have an unsecured connection.  I used to, and that tip worked a lot, but now I'm encrypted and it does what you said.  Welcome to wireless.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
SkoobyDu
+120|6597|Cheshire, UK
I think it only works if you have an unsecured connection.  I used to, and that tip worked a lot, but now I'm encrypted and it does what you said.  Welcome to wireless.
Sorry mate not true - I wouldn't recommend anyone use a wireless connection that wasn't hidden or encrypted, as if it was lagging when it was then it would certainly would be after you opened it up so that every tom dick or harry could connect to your network.

Mine is well and truely hidden and encrypted with no problems and I can see 2 other open wireless connections on my street which is always handy if you wish to download films and stuff, as its not on my connection.

Is your desktop set up with a static IP on the network? And if so have you added that IP as a dedicated connection on your router?

I know you said that you have only had the router a couple of days but have you check that it does have the mosrt recent firmware on it? A lot of routers have the ability to update from the web browser control panel.

Edited for spelling - Doh!

Last edited by SkoobyDu (2006-08-04 07:54:49)

shaga_delik
+8|6701|Brighton, UK
You can change the channel in the router setup.  Look at the instructions and it should tell you how to configure it.  Usually it's done through a web browser (like explorer) by typing in the IP address of the router.  Then enter the password, if it's a new router then it will have the standard one, then you should get a menu up.  There will be an option to change channel.  Somewhere....
-[Silver.Inc*
BF2s AU Server Admin
Is your desktop set up with a static IP on the network? And if so have you added that IP as a dedicated connection on your router?

Don't know how to do that

I know you said that you have only had the router a couple of days but have you check that it does have the mosrt recent firmware on it? A lot of routers have the ability to update from the web browser control panel.

Yep my modem is up-to-date
-[Silver.Inc*
BF2s AU Server Admin
G'day, Just tried that again and after 2 rounds so far I havnt lagged at all (usually get 5-6 a round, which means silver crashes his jet )

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard