GotMex?
$623,493,674,868,715.98 in Debt
+193|6733

I just had to switch the motherboard on my custom built desktop and haven't been able to get my gear working again. I switched the motherboard because I wanted one that would support Intel Core 2 chips later on. I installed everything just like it was before with the old mother board, plugged all my stuff in etc, and when I went to turn on the computer, it wouldn't start. I removed a lot of components, unplugged everything, and left only the motherboard with the processor, the ram, and the HD's plugged in. When I did this, I got the computer to start, but it'll power for like .5 seconds and then shut off. Then it'll go into this infinite cycle where it powers up for a few seconds, and then stops once again.

I thought it might be that the chip was getting too hot, but I got my water cooling system rigged up correctly and can see the water flowing so I know this isn't an issue. I also thought maybe the water pump went bad so I unplugged it to see if the computer would start for longer but it was the same story. One weird detail is that I have this set of UV lights, and when I plug those in, they never turn on, even while the fans start running and the water pump starts going.

Please someone tell me what could be going on. I can't really give more details since I don't even know what the heck is happening. My only guess is that something is wrong with the power supply, but it was working fine before, I don't see how it could go bad.

Btw, I have a Pentium D 805 processor, and a Gigabyte 965P-S3 motherboard. I will +1129810985 karma whoever helps me out.
The Stillhouse Kid
Licensed Televulcanologist
+126|6612|Deep In The South Of Texas
Take the mobo out of the case, lay it on a piece of cardboard and just use cpu, hard drive, 1 stick of memory, keyboard and video card and see if it boots. If it boots it's likely that it's shorting out in the case somehow.
GotMex?
+193|6733

Thanks for the reply. I gave that a try and I have still been unable to get the computer to boot up properly. It kept doing the boot for .5 seconds, then go into infinite loop off on for 5 secs then restart. I even went as far as cleaning the processor, placing it in the socket again, putting a clean layer of thermal paste, reverting to the standard intel fan they provided, and testing once again. No luck. It does seem like something is getting shorted out but I have no idea where to look.

Any ideas on how to test the power supply to see if it is fucked up? I'll probably go get one of those power supply testers but I'd love to get that fixed tonight for some BF2ing.
Brasso
+1,549|6601

How about resetting the CMOS?  Remove the mobo battery and put it back again, or if you have those little black doodads you can use those too.  Google "resetting CMOS."
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

It has occured to me that perhaps your memory settings are incorrect in your BIOS.
AD_Kensan
+7|6755
My wild guess would be that your power supply is damaged or does not have enough power. Try to switch it to a different one.
GotMex?
+193|6733

I tried resetting the CMOS and everything that could be reset per haffeysucks' suggestion. On one hand, it didn't help out since I still have the problem, on the other, when I finally get things working, everything will be nice and fresh ready to go :-)

I thought about the memory/processor setting being incorrect in the bios but I don't think that'd be an issue since it is a completelly new board with factory settings. And I'm pretty sure the timings/over clock settings that I had on my other mobo don't transfer to this one. But thanks anyway.

So I'll just have to buy a new power supply tomorrow and give that a try to see if the computer boots up. If it doesn't, Mobo is probably fucked up. If it does, well then I'll have to pray the store takes back the broken power supply as a replacement.
Brasso
+1,549|6601

GotMex? wrote:

I tried resetting the CMOS and everything that could be reset per haffeysucks' suggestion. On one hand, it didn't help out since I still have the problem, on the other, when I finally get things working, everything will be nice and fresh ready to go :-)
Sorry it didn't help, that's about as far as my computer knowledge goes, hope you get it fixed.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

GotMex? wrote:

I thought about the memory/processor setting being incorrect in the bios but I don't think that'd be an issue since it is a completelly new board with factory settings. And I'm pretty sure the timings/over clock settings that I had on my other mobo don't transfer to this one. But thanks anyway.
Because it is a completely new board, check anyway. A motherboard doesn't always automatically set itself to the correct timings. You might have to adjust it manually. Nine times out of ten, looping reboots are a memory problem...or a malicious batch file from my electronics class.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-08-01 20:33:09)

GotMex?
+193|6733

Problem is, I can't even access the BIOS settings because the power up doesn't even get that far enough. I don't even get a DVI signal in the time it powers up to reboot. It is literally 3-5 seconds.

I did try having only the big power connector hooked up to the mother board and nothing else. (The 12 pin one or whatever that is, just the really long and big one). It did the same little .5 second start/reboot... but then for some reason, when it powered on again the cpu fan stayed on and the power supply fan stayed on as well. Only when I plug in that 12v 4 pin plug or whatever that thing is, does the complete reboot cycle start up. So I have no idea what to think about this. I guess I just have to wait for my power supply tester, and then I'll start blaming the mobo.

Regardless, thanks for the help fellas.
Ziggy_79x
+4|6656
Check that you have all your connectors in the right place. The wires that connect into the power button, HD light, reset button ect. I've built a few where I had these in the wrong spot and got similar problems. The only other things I can think of are misplaced jumpers or incompatable memory. Check the manual for jumper positions for your cpu and the net for compatible memory.

Now that I think about it, it pretty much HAS to be your connections that I talked about or your power supply. If it was your memory I think you would get beeps from the mobo and all your fans and such would still be running.
Check to make sure you have all the power connections in the right places because that sounds to me like what is wrong.

Last edited by Ziggy_79x (2006-08-01 20:59:26)

GotMex?
+193|6733

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. As of now, I have found out that the computer will not boot up when the 12v 4pin connector is plugged into the system. I believe this is the connector that supplies power to the CPU and thus something is wrong with either the connector, the processor, or the motherboard. My money is on the mobo, since the power supply seems to be doing fine.

What's really odd is that the video card fan will power up during those brief moments of power up, but the cpu fan won't. Once it reboots, the cpu seems to get power or something and starts spinning up. Very odd, but I'll know for sure once I test the power supply. If that's ok, that mobo is going straight back to meet it's maker.
MECtallica
+73|6475|jalalabad
after all that its gotta be your PSU, or mobo

mobo could be broke, PSU could be broke

most likely PSU, if your CPU fan doesnt go , but your GPU does, its the PSU, GPU fans dont require as much as a CPU fan, uh I think....
The Stillhouse Kid
Licensed Televulcanologist
+126|6612|Deep In The South Of Texas
Agreed, PSU sounds suspect.
GotMex?
+193|6733

I've definatelly narrowed things down to PSU or mobo like the suggestions above, so I bought a power supply tester and that said that the PSU was working fine. I'm gonna go return the mobo and try a new one and see how that works out. If that fucks up, I'll switch the PSU as well.
a fly
+105|6615|The netherlands

GotMex? wrote:

I've definatelly narrowed things down to PSU or mobo like the suggestions above, so I bought a power supply tester and that said that the PSU was working fine. I'm gonna go return the mobo and try a new one and see how that works out. If that fucks up, I'll switch the PSU as well.
have you tried if it works on the old mobo? then you can see if its the new mobo or not
ShellShock.PwN
+31|6758|Barrie Ontario
Step 1: Grab Hammer
Step 2: Pull back
Steo 3: Swing Forward.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6706|Salt Lake City

Just a thought, because I've done this myself.

If your current PSU is 24-pin on the main connector, and the motherboard you are using is only 20-pin, this can be a problem.  Many PSUs require an adapter for converting the 20-24 pin configurations, but many PSUs just use a detachable 4-pin segment from the main connector.  DO NOT try to use this in the standalone 4-pin power connector; yes it does fit.  Your PSU will have a separate 4-pin connector for this function.
GotMex?
+193|6733

I took the mobo back to the store and they were able to make it run fine. I bought a new sweet power supply, and tried it out back at home and that didn't do the trick either. The mobo won't even POST when I turn it on, just complete failure at life. I even ruled out the RAM/video card because those seem to run fine on a friends computer. So that only left me with one final possible source... which would unfortunatelly be the processor.

So per ShellSheck's suggestion... Grabbed hammer, pulled back, and swung forward on the processor.

Ok no jk, i'm gonna go get it tested out tomorrow... so if it's that, i'll have to buy a new one. Any one have any ideas on what to do to the fucked up processor? I'm thinking about taking it to the shooting range with my barrett and ripping a .50 cal through hehe.
Subliminal_Sub
+12|6524|Arizona
Quote: I'm thinking about taking it to the shooting range with my barrett and ripping a .50 cal through hehe.

Been There and done that, is very fullfilling to destroy an unworking computer like that-- only thing is with only the processor your shooting at,,   wheres the fun in it since there will be no shrapnel
-=5TON3D
+42|6505|u.k
my mates had probs with a new system of parts he'd just braught & it wouldnt boot,sounds bit like your situation seeing as he couldnt get to bios stage either.
turned out the new case he'd got had a dodgy reset switch on it,so try unplugging the reset switch & check the pins on the case switch itself & also the pins to the plug that powers it.
-=raska=-
Canada's French Frog
+123|6596|Quebec city, Canada
Are you sure Core 2 mobo supports current pentium cpu ?

on Asus site they do not state that their new Core 2 mobo supports "old" Pentium S775 series

I dont know for gigabyte though
GotMex?
+193|6733

-=raska=- wrote:

Are you sure Core 2 mobo supports current pentium cpu ?

on Asus site they do not state that their new Core 2 mobo supports "old" Pentium S775 series

I dont know for gigabyte though
That's what it seems it's all boiled down to. I've basically rebought every single component again, tested everything out, and never did the thing worked correctly. Finally I bought another 805 processor and had the exact same problem. I'm guessing they don't support the 805 even though gigabyte's site says it does.

Thank god I waited before I ripped a .50 through the processor... that would've been the most expensive target ever.

Gonna go switch motherboards once again, see what happens... thanks for all the help once again.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard