xX[Elangbam]Xx
+107|6710
Today something very disastrous has happened. My computer didn't work so I did the System Recovery option. This happened before but not with the same results like now...over 200 picutres or so are gone. Those that remembered my sister's crisis a while back....yes those are gone too. I'm in a state of emotional breakdown here. I just can't function anymore because I just feel so guilty for not being patient.
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6590|Florida
sorry man, i dont have a clue as of what your sisters crisis was.  Sorry for your troubles
JG1567JG
+110|6601|United States of America
You may be able to go back into system restore and undo the last system restore to your computer.  I would think you could get the pics back that way but it will also probably bring back your old problems.  Maybe try that and if you get the pics back, back them up to disk.
instakill
+3|6637|Canberra ACT
most data deleted or removed from your pc is still there untill it is written over, you can find many data recovery tools through google. These should find most pictures deleted. At a quick glance i found http://www.pctools.com/file-recover/?ref=google_fr , but if it does not work there are many more out there

edit: sorry ignore that one it is just a trial and you can only find but not recover files. search google for data recovery.... youll find one

Last edited by instakill (2006-08-01 21:03:37)

xX[Elangbam]Xx
+107|6710

JG1567JG wrote:

You may be able to go back into system restore and undo the last system restore to your computer.  I would think you could get the pics back that way but it will also probably bring back your old problems.  Maybe try that and if you get the pics back, back them up to disk.
Sadly, after system recovery it wipes out all other restore points. It makes no sense, I did the same exact thing the last time this happened. Well actually I put a recovery CD in as last ditch effort before I restarted but I had already done a System Recovery before that. HP is full of crap, I tried online chat support and stupid Shaman A. said: I'm afraid you may have lost all your picture due to a mistaken destructive recovery. But I didn't do that...but its all gone. Next time I'm backing every single image up.
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6562|Southeastern USA
bite the bullet and pay someone nerdier than thou to try to dig them up, alot of times (especially with sys restore) files will still be hidden away in cache folders and such, I've managed to dig some up a couple of times but am afraid I can't provide instructions, just one of those trial and error things i do sometimes
xX[Elangbam]Xx
+107|6710
Thats what I'm trying to do. If I've gotten any boost today its from the help from these forums, once again. Hopefully this won't be a fake boost that leads to nowhere. Maybe I might be able to get the pictures back but until then I'll keep checking around the internet for someway to retrive those pictures and myself.

Edit:

Son of a bitch! Shaman A (the HP support guy...this guy better not be Indian, probably is though) told me I had a destructive recovery. I just checked and I didn't do that (no i didn't recover all over again, just checked what I clicked more in depth. There may still be hope but  I don't want to jinx it)

Last edited by xX[Elangbam]Xx (2006-08-01 21:33:19)

King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6609|Seattle

GIS undelete
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6539|Portland, OR USA
all I can say is for the love of all things good and decent and even a few things foul and immoral, NEVER USE SYSTEM RESTORE.

EVER.

Don't do it.

Friends don't let friends use system restore.

Do a search for *.jpg or whatever extension your pics were.  Make sure you set your searching options to include hidden folders, system folders, and subfolders.  It probably won't work, but it's something.  In theory system restore shouldn't mess with data files.  All the more evidence to not use it.  Ever.  Seriously.
xX[Elangbam]Xx
+107|6710

PuckMercury wrote:

all I can say is for the love of all things good and decent and even a few things foul and immoral, NEVER USE SYSTEM RESTORE.

EVER.

Don't do it.

Friends don't let friends use system restore.

Do a search for *.jpg or whatever extension your pics were.  Make sure you set your searching options to include hidden folders, system folders, and subfolders.  It probably won't work, but it's something.  In theory system restore shouldn't mess with data files.  All the more evidence to not use it.  Ever.  Seriously.
System restore is a lot better than System recovery but when I tried to use....freeze up. Now I have to download these photo recovery things and it seems that there's over 600 currently found. I tried the search already but you know what I get? Yeah, those default XP pics with the Taj Mahal, Zebra and all that.

Take that back, alot of that 600 stuff (now well over 1500) was junk stuff like icons and symbols that make up skins

Last edited by xX[Elangbam]Xx (2006-08-01 21:36:48)

PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6539|Portland, OR USA
if your system gets to the point that you need to do a system restore or recovery or whatever, there is but one prudent course of action.  Back up your data.  Format.  Reload.  Your system can probably use it.  It can CERTAINLY use it at this point.  Good luck on your recovery efforts.
JG1567JG
+110|6601|United States of America

xX[Elangbam]Xx wrote:

JG1567JG wrote:

Sadly, after system recovery it wipes out all other restore points. It makes no sense, I did the same exact thing the last time this happened. Well actually I put a recovery CD in as last ditch effort before I restarted but I had already done a System Recovery before that. HP is full of crap, I tried online chat support and stupid Shaman A. said: I'm afraid you may have lost all your picture due to a mistaken destructive recovery. But I didn't do that...but its all gone. Next time I'm backing every single image up.
I just used system restore a couple of weeks ago and I know for a fact that when you go into system restore after you restored your computer it gives you an option to undo your last restore point. I have used this when I didn't go back far enough or didn't get the desired results.  The number of restore points depends on the amount of disk space that you have allotted to this. I do suppose that if you have the absolute minimum amount of disk space allotted to system restore then you may not be able to undo a restore point.

Last edited by JG1567JG (2006-08-01 22:12:28)

Maj.Do
+85|6764|good old CA
Wow i had a similar scenario, lost  old pictures on my computer from the 20's (grandparents stuff) that i scanned because the picture paper seemed to be well "falling apart".  I went to best buy and asked the geek squad if they could somehow bring them back, and it worked.  So maybe you could do the same? 

PS:  This happend on my laptop and the hard drive disk actually got scrapped up pretty bad from the reader somehow.  I lost everything else on it.
bakeshow
B|Unit
+8|6661|Grand ol' Ohio
Hey man, this happened to me a few months ago.. same exact situation except I lost ~20 gigs of music.  Or so I thought.  Look into Runtime Software, they have a program called GetDataBack.  You run it and it comes back with the data that was lost, then you can copy it from there and put it either on the HD it was on, or a disk/storage.  I got just about everything back, made copies, formatted the drive and she's back to normal.  Good luck man.
Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6764|Toronto, ON
Begin solution:

Just get a program called

"Final Data"

End of solution.
Alpha as fuck.
ShotYourSix
Boldly going nowhere...
+196|6731|Las Vegas
Honestly, after reading all of the posts from xX[Elangbam]Xx (here and in his other thread), it seems like he is more interested in supporting his convictions that his data is lost than in actually taking the required steps to recover it. 

Not trying to be a dick here, but thats just the way I see it given the comments he's made.  The data may well be gone, but until he enlists the help of a professional data recovery tech. he will never know for sure.  I don't know, some people are just stubborn I guess.

Last edited by ShotYourSix (2006-08-02 00:04:49)

jkohlc
2142th Whore
+214|6539|Singapore
my comp got fucked too last week and i did a system recovery and all my MSN messenger's smilies are gone and all my games, files, microsoft word/powerpoint/etc. became unworkable and now i dont even have a friggin service pack 2 cuz i cant fucking install it
EvilMonkeySlayer
+82|6664
BartPE.

If you want help send me a message.
De_Jappe
Triarii
+432|6540|Belgium

you know, not all your files are lost, it's not because you don't see them anymore, they are gone, use a program that recovers deleted files (and don't install too much things now or you will overwrite your 'deleted files' .
xX[Elangbam]Xx
+107|6710
WOOT thanks to instakiller and sgt gene and everyone else! I HAVE THEM BACK1 AND MY AP BIO REPORT! Too bad band camp is next week
BurlySmurf
+1|6767|Nellis AFB
That is the reason I keep all of the photos and movies of my wife and children on an external hard drive.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Invest one to keep this from happening in the future.

EDIT: Helps to read the entire thread. Grats on the recovery. Get an external drive to safe guard from future mishaps.

Last edited by BurlySmurf (2006-08-02 18:29:12)

SnobbyBoss
SAS Medic
+18|6752

xX[Elangbam]Xx wrote:

Thats what I'm trying to do. If I've gotten any boost today its from the help from these forums, once again. Hopefully this won't be a fake boost that leads to nowhere. Maybe I might be able to get the pictures back but until then I'll keep checking around the internet for someway to retrive those pictures and myself.

Edit:

Son of a bitch! Shaman A (the HP support guy...this guy better not be Indian, probably is though) told me I had a destructive recovery. I just checked and I didn't do that (no i didn't recover all over again, just checked what I clicked more in depth. There may still be hope but  I don't want to jinx it)
Racist, whats wrong with Indians! Indians do alot of stuff you Idiot Americans are too lazy to do or just don't know how to do. This does not refer to all Americans just the idiot ones like this guy. You made the mistake idiot, I think the words systme backup means in American language ( Delete all files and come back to factory settings) If u still don't get it I don't know what to do. Also i bet he told you " you had done a destructive recovery" not you have a destructive recovery. Also for some reasons Indians do better in most american tests, I know the guy that met president Bush because he either got a 100 on the SAT or did really good, Now i dont see you up there, do I?.I end with this, RACIST.

jkohlc wrote:

my comp got fucked too last week and i did a system recovery and all my MSN messenger's smilies are gone and all my games, files, microsoft word/powerpoint/etc. became unworkable and now i dont even have a friggin service pack 2 cuz i cant fucking install it
Now for you, do a destructive recovery, I had the same problem but I fixed it myself.

Last edited by SnobbyBoss (2006-08-02 18:34:11)

InnerMonkey
+62|6731
Glad you got the pics back.  I've used filescavenger to recover lots of files off of other people's computers.  It's always great to see the look on their face when I hand them a disc with 90%+ of their stuff.
wws4029
+5|6500|WALES UK
try tune up utilities, it has an undelete programme included in it. It also has many other tools that are very handy.
RicardoBlanco
The English
+177|6581|Oxford
The police recover 'erased' images all the time from sex offenders' computers and there are plenty of data recovery companies out there. All is not lost as they say..

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard