boarder4592
+0|6483
I have a nice computer I build 1.5 yr ago, for 2000$, Geforce 6800 Ultra vid card, etc, but i have strange lag.

It just started 2-3 days ago but i can barely play now, i turned all my settings down to medium...
I think its my video card changing the settings automatically (although i changed it so it wouldnt do that) or my internet connection.  Can anyone help me?
[BBF*EF]Stuka
Junkers Ju 87
+58|6584|Phoenix, AZ
Does your FPS drop, or what? Is your ping normal? Check temps? Try other games?
BigmacK
Back from the Dead.
+628|6757|Chicago.
1) Done Windows updates recently?
2) Update anything with display hardware recently?
3) Change ISP recently?

Answers will help us determine the problem.
Capt.CupoNoodles
+18|6772|Southampton, PA
Cable/DSL...?
topthrill05
+125|6584|Rochester NY USA
It might not even be you. Just un-install BF2.

You know the drill.
My_pet_squirrel
Have you seen my nutz?
+126|6626
run bf2 windowed you'll get better fps and its alot easier to alt tab
boarder4592
+0|6483
FPS drops, Ping raises, Cable, reformatted my comp 2 weeks ago, only games i have atm is BF2/1942
Redback00
+51|6580

My_pet_squirrel wrote:

How do you do that? Please explain.
boarder4592
+0|6483
any advice?
topthrill05
+125|6584|Rochester NY USA

Redback00 wrote:

My_pet_squirrel wrote:

boarder4592
+0|6483
helloooo
mavrick 3399
EA GAMES PATCH EVERYTHING
+102|6548|Doncaster UK

topthrill05 wrote:

Redback00 wrote:

My_pet_squirrel wrote:

Brasso
+1,549|6636

mavrick 3399 wrote:

topthrill05 wrote:

Redback00 wrote:

I want to know too.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
DrM
+33|6627
Lag is normally one of four things.
It sounds like you are getting video slow down rather than the other options, so I will focus on that, but try them out to be sure.

Your graphics card [GPU] cannot handle all the work being thrown at it.
Test this with the console command        renderer.drawFps 1
If the number in the top left corner in below 30 then you are getting GPU slow down \ lag.
Try opening the Nvidia control panel and getting the temp the GPU is running at window open, then at random points during BF2 play [when you are dead works well!] switch back to the desktop and see how hot it is. If it is running within 20 degree of the max temp the fan may be going [it is 18 months old].
Try different drivers. In general the latest drivers are the best, but not always. I have not heard any bad news about the latest Nvidia drivers so give them a try http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_91.31.html

Your ping is too high. If your ping is consistently above 150 then you get lag caused by your game not being in sync with the server. If you are getting high ping then try stopping other internet based applications [P2P and file sharing are very bad for BF2], or play on a server geographically closer to you.
This should be a general, and more random type of lag.

Not enough of your memory is RAM, and too much is pagefile.
BF2 loads around 1.5Gb of data into memory, this is the map, the player, vehicles, guns and every other object it could require. The more of this data that is in RAM the better.
If there is any data in pagefile then you could experience slow down \ lag as BF2 has to get data from the slow hard disk.
If you have less than 2Gb of RAM [remember XP needs some too] get up to 2Gb as soon as you can afford to.

Your CPU is maxing out.
Start task manager, then when you have a free second ALT + TAB to take a look at it.
If it is running at 100% then you could get slow down \ lag when the BF2 engine needs to calculate more, this could include zooming in.
Close any programs that you don't need.
If you are getting this then try upgrading your CPU as soon as you can afford to.

I hope this info helps.

DrM
boarder4592
+0|6483

DrM wrote:

Lag is normally one of four things.
It sounds like you are getting video slow down rather than the other options, so I will focus on that, but try them out to be sure.

Your graphics card [GPU] cannot handle all the work being thrown at it.
Test this with the console command        renderer.drawFps 1
If the number in the top left corner in below 30 then you are getting GPU slow down \ lag.
Try opening the Nvidia control panel and getting the temp the GPU is running at window open, then at random points during BF2 play [when you are dead works well!] switch back to the desktop and see how hot it is. If it is running within 20 degree of the max temp the fan may be going [it is 18 months old].
Try different drivers. In general the latest drivers are the best, but not always. I have not heard any bad news about the latest Nvidia drivers so give them a try http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_91.31.html

Your ping is too high. If your ping is consistently above 150 then you get lag caused by your game not being in sync with the server. If you are getting high ping then try stopping other internet based applications [P2P and file sharing are very bad for BF2], or play on a server geographically closer to you.
This should be a general, and more random type of lag.

Not enough of your memory is RAM, and too much is pagefile.
BF2 loads around 1.5Gb of data into memory, this is the map, the player, vehicles, guns and every other object it could require. The more of this data that is in RAM the better.
If there is any data in pagefile then you could experience slow down \ lag as BF2 has to get data from the slow hard disk.
If you have less than 2Gb of RAM [remember XP needs some too] get up to 2Gb as soon as you can afford to.

Your CPU is maxing out.
Start task manager, then when you have a free second ALT + TAB to take a look at it.
If it is running at 100% then you could get slow down \ lag when the BF2 engine needs to calculate more, this could include zooming in.
Close any programs that you don't need.
If you are getting this then try upgrading your CPU as soon as you can afford to.

I hope this info helps.

DrM
1. ill try that

2. I have high ping, maybe its because of the internet server?

3. got 2g ram

4. it has like 20% or something low like that

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard