tF-voodoochild
Pew Pew!
+216|6848|San Francisco

Absinthe wrote:

A commaner IS an experienced player, that *must not* move/stick his head  out of the CO screen - just to save himself.. basically thats what it is you say.
Not at all, when I play as commander and I see someone coming towards whichever base I may be closest to I will always spot him, drop my CO screen, go kick his ass, and then go back to tending my commander duties. This is a very different thing than running around the front lines dropping UAV's from the quick menu.
sgz22
+0|6729
I really don't command all that much myself, but if nobody steps up to the plate then I will take on the role.

For me though the command role takes up every bit of attention I have to spare.

I was in a server the other day and the commander on our team quit. I went ahead and applied and took up a spot in a rear base that was safe from arty, but after about ten minutes of commanding a couple of retards started griping about how I was doing it and tried to mutiny.

I just went ahead and resigned and told them "Here ya go show me what you want done - you command". Yet after being called out they never stepped up to the plate. I'm always open for some constructive criticism, but hey you suck at command really doesn't tell me much LOL.

Some people that play and use the "hey you suck at command " thing don't realize that you may be supporting other squads (like the squad that has worked it's way back to the enemy's main and is capping it or taking away there armor, helo, arty, uav, etc...). Some just think you should be catering to them at the front lines full time.

They just don't see the big picture. If I take a command role I feal it is my responsiblity to help us win the battle as a team. In the commanders seat the last thing I worry about is points - I just want us to win that round.

All it ever takes to win a round (usually) is 1 good squad working as a team, if you have more than that working together it becomes almost too easy LOL.

I think that to be a good commander you need to be able to do just 6 things
   1 - spot the sneaky ones that try to get past the front lines (and hope someone will kill them before they turn flags behind the front)
   2 - keep supplies available for your armor/well dug in AT guys
   3 - keep the UAVs flying at the locations that do your team the most good
   4 - try to save your arty for the best tactical times (not just dropping it on the most red dots every time it lights up)
   5 - keep your head down and stay alive your no good to the team if your dead
   6 - give reasonable orders to squads (lol dont order the sniper to go blow a bridge)

But that is just my opinion.
lush-kil
+0|6729
I just like it when there's no commander when i join a server. So I'll take commander then sure enough some guy does the vote to remove me. It's like dude you been playing the round for 10 mins with no commander. But soon as someone takes commander they want to boot the guy. And they smacked asses  who are pounding pagedown soon as they are tk'd. Even if it's thier own stupid fault.
andy31419
+1|6749|Savannah - GA
I have tried both and the commander that stays put definatly gets more done.  However, my biggest complaint is the squads not working together and listening to commands and people not in squads.  A definate patch plus would be servers that forced players into squads.  When the team works together it is awsome and they kick it on the map.
warco3
+1|6729|Orlando, FL
As commander I try to stay in one spot and fully commit myself to my duty. But I have to say fellas, on maps where you dont have an uncapturable main I'm often forced to go into the fray and defend my base to the death, since NO ONE EVER STAYS BEHIND TO DEFEND. This is particularly true in maps like Songhua Stalemate. I also have to take action when an enemy spec ops wants to cause trouble and blow up my assets. Otherwise I will spot everything for my team, drop supplies, communicate, and arty the hell out of my enemy.
RedFiercare
The Kid
+2|6743
When I play as commander, this is what I do.

If I see armor/helicopter/etc.  I'll spot it.  When it dissapears, I spot it again.  I do that until it gets to my troops.  This takes 100% of my time being in the CO screen.  Besides, if you die, your team gets no help for 15 seconds.
Absinthe
+18|6756

Tigg@lot wrote:

If your "allmighty brigade" falls it indicates that you´re not doing your job correct.
NO !
maybe the team sucks.. ? Have you thought of that ?
SunTzu-CR-
+0|6729
Many good points listed here for being commander!.  Should you be 'passive' and just command? Or 'Active' and participate in the battle?  Both have there time and place.  Depending on how fluid the battle is going, I will either do one or the other and sometimes both, as the tempo changes.
     On larger maps (with 40+ players) I may generally sit back and just command and direct troops to 'hot spots.'  Unfortunately, players don't (or can't) sometimes respond to commanders orders, given their particular battlefield awareness.  To counter this problem, I may change to active and repond.  For example: say I am at the main PSP and it's under attack.  All my troops are too far away to react. So, I have no choice but to repond, or face being overrun.  One thing I absolutely don't want to happen, is to see my 'main' psp taken over.  When this happens, the opposing force has gained a clear advantage, and can destroy my equipment at will. 
     On smaller maps (under 40 player) I will be active as long as the tempo and battlefield dynamics are in my favor.  There have been many many times, that I've contributed to wins, by attacking and pushing the opposing forces to annihilation.  Do I die sometimes? Yes! But I always contribute to the 'team.'
     Now the question is, 'do I win more than I lose, while playing commander?'   Yes, I do. And that's only because I can view and assist my team.  One of the 'key' elements to this ( and one all  should know by now, some still don't) join or create a squad!  It does noone or your team any good to be running around as a lonewolf.
     Lastly, It really depends on how good the player is, and whether they can do the commander job and fight.  Some can, some can't.  I personally believe in leading by example.  That's my two cents.
[url]http://bf2s.com/player/43543978/[/url]

Last edited by SunTzu-CR- (2005-11-24 21:25:17)

Tigg@lot
noob on tour
+1|6774|NRW,Germany

Absinthe wrote:

Tigg@lot wrote:

If your "allmighty brigade" falls it indicates that you´re not doing your job correct.
NO !
maybe the team sucks.. ? Have you thought of that ?
If your team sucks it´s even more important to be a good commander!
If you know that your team sucks you have to spend even more time thinking about ways to send your guys around the enemy to flank him or take undefended bases.
VirtuaLResistancE
ArmChair Warrior
+4|6756|NH - USA

Absinthe wrote:

Hey
sorry for the crude title, but this describes how I feel right now.

WHY, oh why people are voting against "playing" commanders ?
I am a good commander, helps allot to my entire team. I switch to engineer if needed, and support. That truely help the battle for my team. Almost every time I decide to take an active role of the commander, Almost on the spot I see folks voting a mutiny against me. I never got turned away from my position (succesful mutiny vote) but HEY !! it removes ll the fun of being an acting commander.

I want to open a discussion, that will clear this thing once and for all..
lets see what you folks think of that. I bet this happens to ya'll commanders.
I am aware of the fact that commanders should stay behind and mannage the battle. But what if a commander is acting outstanding both as a commander AND a soldier ? what then ??
I think its been mentioned in here somewhere, but I think they vote a commander down because it often takes the top 2 places (gold and silver) on the awards. That reflects the frame of mind of those who are voting you down. It has happened to me also, but I have not been successfully defrocked yet. I just ignore it, but am leary about taking the position the next round on the same server.

As far as comanding and fighting - I think a commander should 1) command 2) protect your own life 3) protect/repair your assets when possible. None of this running around unless its to evade the opposing commanders artillery strike, if your up against one of those types. (I hate those types) If the base Im camping at gets taken over and its clear of enemies, I'll grab the flag real quick and go back to hiding.

Thats my take in a  nut-shell.

Last edited by VirtuaLResistancE (2005-11-24 22:42:50)

Coolbeano
Level 13.5 BF2S Ninja Penguin Sensei
+378|6763

KB77Hell wrote:

I've gotta go with the majority on this one...commanders should stay put as it's definitely a full time job.  There's a lot of shit going on at all times and as imdead said, a dead commander is a useless commander.  The only exception should be to repair your trailers and arty should they be destroyed.
although i agree with the staying put, a dead commander is not a useless one. well dead ones are, but critically wounded commanders can still command. press capslock and double right click, and you'll get your console back.
CRIMS0N_W0LF
+21|6739
I hate freaking noobs commanders that fly insteasd of commanding!!
cablecopulate
+449|6738|Massachusetts.
Flying commanders are the worst. 1) they can't concentrate on both, 2) they are taking a vehicle away from someone who can fully concentrate on it. It's dentrimental to the whole team. I saw one commander who took an attack helicopter so he could fly somewhere and hide! Luckily I was in it also so I could take over flying, but he was about to fly off alone, so he'd have an unused attack helicopter!

When I command, I find a place arty can't get me and command. I'll fight if my base is being taken or if they really need me to, but usually there's enough people so I'm not needed. Recently I was commanding on Wake Island and nobody would join a squad. I repeatedly said "Join squads please!" "Join a squad and we can win!" but nobody did. Literally, not a single person! I was more of a hands on commander then, but that was because I had to be. I had nobody I could send. Man that was a frustrating round.
-=256=-Evo_Wales
The New Evolution in gaming...
+14|6757|Cardiff, Wales
Personally think Commanders should stay somewhere hidden and command. It can be done while fighting, but in my experiance it isn't as good, you invariably end up with a team asking for orders etc when you do that. Have no problems though if a commander decides to fight as long as they carry out their job as well. But a Commander should NEVER be flying a plane, that is the biggest wase of assets ever
bgthigfist
+0|6805
This crap happens all the time.  I only play commander when I notice that the job is vacant and has been so for some time.  Because of this, I'm not a very experienced commander, but I try.  I don't fly while commanding, usually find a nice sequestered spot, etc...  Seems like, especially when I play on pub servers, we can go for rounds with no commander.  I text type "someone please command" several times.  When I finally apply and get accepted, I can't go for 5 minutes without a mutiny vote.  I have responded "would somebody else like to command" and never get a response.  I have even resigned, and then no one else will step up.  Just back to no commander.  Sad.
imdead
Death StatPadder
+228|6769|Human Meat Shield
It's funny when they try to mutinize me, Especially when we are winning 124-20 and I am spotting even the non-UAV spots that other armies are trying capture flags.  I comment back often asking --why? What more do you need, you didn't ask for anything, I don't have ESP. I guess I should have given them a bullet proof vest in that crate I dunno.  One person was mad because he was on MEC's main in Kark and almost there and got blasted by a tank, Hey buttmunch I spotted the tank, did you want me to kill it for you too??
hoad47
+2|6743|Sydney
yeh i gotta say i totally agree with the 100% camping commander on large maps and just to add something i think one of the most important tools as commander is a microphone.. say in wake, you happen to loose the airfield (which sux) and u have no uav and no scan for a brief moment while supplies are reloading or whatever a microphone is a very important tool, by zooming in on one of ur squads reclaiming a flag u can spot and direct a SL to take the flag. and to add, the buck doesnt stop at commanding i have been commanding, again, say wake, and i have spotted enemies, taking the airfield talking to the squads and letting them know whats going on, and you can have 5 ppl on your team just unable to pull themselves away from the runway or helipad waiting... thats very.. VERY annoying.. u can talk till ur blue in the face but sometimes u just find urself on a Non-teamworking team
Also.. If you get the commander job and you notice people are putting up a mutiny vote.. just ignore it.. the chances are it wont go thru and just keep doing ur job, dont just quit because someone puts a vote up.. i can't remember a round starting without some sort of vote

Last edited by hoad47 (2005-11-25 07:53:33)

HellSibling
+0|6802
i think one of absinthe's point in his original note is important, and someone else kind of mentioned it, but when you are commander and someone is attacking your base, 9 time sout 9f 10, you the only one nearest to help defend it and so in that case you must take an active role.  it doesn't matter if you send your squads an order to defend this postion, because unless you have a really good team you are are usually ignored.  there is no way a good commander can support a shitty team...no way in hell because if they do not listen to you, you might as well do the fighting yourself.   same idea as being a commander/engineer, if you can repair the damaged stuff yourself, then it saves a supply drop for someone that truly needs it.  now, i have never played as a commander, and likely never will (darn, i won't get all the badges...big deal it's still fun)
because its just not what i like doing, i like the frontline havoc.  most commanders are underappreciated, in my mind and i think it's just pettiness for the most part when people do the mutanty vote.  if someone really really wanted to be commander, instead of a mutiny vote, they should mabye ask nicely?  i need practice in a helo, and sometimes will ask if i can fly for a bit...lo and behold it actually works sometimes...not all the time because in general people just ignore you, but it never hurts to ask.
Absinthe
+18|6756

Chard_Wreck wrote:

I've said it before. I still think EA should make the CO be inside the COM trailer to open their COM screen.
That's a DAMN SMART idea mate !

This way, the commander who choose to fight, will not have their CO screen. This solution seems the best, but I dont think EA will go that far in changing the game's engine. BF2 is by far the most advanced online battle game -  The way it came out, give or take minor changes through patches. This will definately make me think twice before runing into battle.
again - the fact that your team looses in 90% of the time - DOES NOT - mean you are a bad commander. It means that they do not follow orders, or just suck.

GTKtino (when I read your name I automatically HAVE to say GTA )  - you wrote "..and your point is.. ??"
well, my point is that my fairly large commander score came from about 40% active commanding. And as you can see, the time I've played as a commander is about 55+ hrs with 7K+ score. "analyse" the figures, and you'll see that active commander is not that hard/impossible - for the ONES WHO CAN.

and this is *exactly* my point of the whole thread. ppl vote blind on active commanders, without first see if they could contribute to the active battle.

Last edited by Absinthe (2005-11-25 12:14:21)

Dilligas
+6|6782

d4rkph03n1x wrote:

You do realise you dont get points for killing people as commander? This would really nullify the attempt to 'make a difference'. As tf-voodoochild said, being a commander is a full time job, normally you have to spend most of your time staring into the screen, ordering people to attack flags when you dont have any UAV, Scan, Supplies or Artillery. At least, thats what I find aswell.
I do not think that is true...as commander I have gotten my vet badge in SF for killing on the global side, same with BF2.  You do not get points for Caps, but then again I always go and help cap..most are to busy being lame to go and fight for a base.
badgerfroth
+0|6730
First off, if people are killing or voting you off to get the X2 score I'm sure they're wasting their time, as the X2 is only based on final commander score, therefore the points you accumulate as commander are due to you only. They will NOT receive X2 bonus, even if you are voted out at the last minute. (please check as I'm sure this is the case, but may have got my wires crossed).
Secondly, I NEVER NEVER NEVER vote to kick commander unless they do a deliberate arty on the team. I will never knock a first time commander, as everyone has to start somewhere, and I don't feel that I have the right to vote a commander out as I may not be able to do a better job myself.

Best thing to do....Ignore it, be a good commander and win the game. Nuff said. Don't let the minority grind you down.
SlickWRX
+6|6743
Voting is stupid period.  I have never seen anyone successfully voted kicked or voted of commander role.  Even if the guy has a -60 score its nearly impossible to get everyone to vote to kick him.
OUROBOROS
+0|6758
long post. scan the colors for section topics

there is no definite rule( well... one exception ). what you do depends on situation/team/map/number of players/skill of your team/tactical tendencies of the enemy.

as with all game play you gotta adapt.

If the game is a high player number game then you have a tactical advantage by keeping your eye on the whole battlefield, spot, and dispatch squads where needed. camp it out and put the attention where its needed. If its a small pop., or small map, one UAV can cover 2 bases and a scan is much quicker. toss an arty and crate or send notice of them availible, and you have time to cart yourself to a close undefended base and cap it before things are ready for use again. you having the scan equates to a UAV for yourself. that all you need to watch your back and cap an extra base yourself. A close flag with a few already rushing is good too. cart in there, help grab the flag. spot any remaining defenders and the flag is yours.

sometimes you gotta defend. being at a cappable base, all you need is yourself to defend. example: karland you UAV the front lines. Use the Scan and you can protect suburbs from footers coming from the high side. it only takes one man to drop a unsuspecting squad. again SCAN = your friend. You can also Anti Tank at the train wreck ( car rushing the wreckage a standard USMC tac. ). most of the time you already know they're coming. there are a lot of options.

big maps like daqing. There’s not much you can do on the ground as an attacking commander. its too far to ride to a base. its too easy to get bombed/arty'd. if you got an enemy commander that likes to arty or likes to arty the lone red dot that never moves. hide well.

repairs might fall onto you. if the enemy spec ops like to pop your assets you might be the only one willing to fix them. sometimes no one else will. it's up to you to defend and repair them.

your skilled gun can change a rush. low pop. or desperately need a base? one good extra gun can save a squad from getting ambushed. flanks are devastating. picking off the flanker or spotting them can save your men. sometimes more of you killing them = good.

rushing out head first is not good. if you're dead you cant do anything. if you're dead and there's nothing to really do anyways. eh whatever. sometimes you've just already won.

nothing wrong with a commander in an armor. 1) you're hard to arty. 2) defending is easier. ( armors do well in defending and supporting the ones capping. capping armor = spec ops breakfast usually anyways) Being a frontline armor takes away from commander time while you’re watching out for spec ops and anti tanks. Frontline armor busy commanding, sitting there not aware is spec op fodder.

THE EXCEPTION: Commanders should not fly. its too easy to crash. its too easy to get shot out of the sky. if you’re dogging it out you wasting asset time. when you die you waste asset time. we all know you're using the SCAN to bomb. its not about you, its about the team. a good lone bomber wont win the game, because you can't cap bases, and you can't defend them all. without the team you're nothing.

How well you do as a commander reflects how well you're doing as a team. if you got a team that doesnt do anything, you've lost no matter what you do. if your team is better then the other then you've already won. you might think this means that im saying it doesnt matter about the commander. You are wrong. a bad team doesnt know how to use the commander as an asset. they dont know how to ask for a UAV if they know where the enemies are hiding out waiting to recapture the base when your team moves on to the next flag leaving it usually undefended. they dont know that youre telling them to attack a certain flag because no one is defending it and rush straight into the current hot zone instead. A good team will know how to work with you. If the team can win without a commander, then lucky you.

i rarely play commander. I’m sorry to say this but i gotta enter every game assuming im playing with idiots. cuz they will TK you, vote kick you, mutiny you, be a smacktard, ect. THE MOMENT THEY JOIN. ignore it. i always play around a little and hopefully theres a good commander or a good squad follow. if there's one or the other i try to fill in the missing half. if theres no commander and it's a tight game i'll jump in and hope we can pull it around. if someone mutinies and were losing, well no duh, were losing. it rarely ever succeeds anyways. i'll ask if anyone want to command. were already losing anyways if you can bring the team around for the win you deserve the 2x, and it doesnt mean that i still can't get the gold. on public servers half the time no one wants it. who can blame them. no one listens.

to be a better commander you have to be fluid with your style of play. it doesnt matter if your a commander, a grunt, or some variation of the "whore". it all depends how the battle is going. know thy enemy. know the terrain. know how your team plays. the majority or players with a basic understanding of the game can default to setting UAVs where attacks or defends are needed, and sending artillery at the enemy. it's not much but it works. if you can do more then that, i hope were on the same team.

theres a lot i could say, but you should see where im going. pardon the grammar,spelling, ect.

yes im a lurker. sue me.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard