d11fdj
+3|6742|Athens
Hi everyone,

Please help beause i don't really know much about technical computer issues.

I recently bought a Geforce 6600GT, which (in theory) goes well with my P4 2,7 and my 1gig of ram.  My connection is 512 ADSL, which means i usually play BF2 on a ping of around 80-90. 

The problem is:  occasionally i get awful lag, sometimes my computer freezes, sometimes it restarts, sometimes i get kicked out of BF2. 

I've thought of a couple of potential problems :
          1) either the graphics card is faulty
          2) or my power unit is not powerful enough (300W)

PLEASE PLEASE help - you understand how frustrating it is to be flying and then find yourself in the sea counting down from 15, again.....
GTKtino
+0|6762

d11fdj wrote:

I recently bought a Geforce 6600GT, which (in theory) goes well with my P4 2,7 and my 1gig of ram.  My connection is 512 ADSL, which means i usually play BF2 on a ping of around 80-90. 

2) or my power unit is not powerful enough (300W)
you said it your self, get more watts, because yes in theory it should work fine with you specs, but not with the power supply.
d11fdj
+3|6742|Athens
But are you sure that 300W are not enough?  I don't want to have to fork out 100euros on something that isn't absolutely necessary!
GTKtino
+0|6762
you dont have to fork out 100 euros man, you can get a good quality ps for about 60-70 bucks, (problaly 50 euros?)

oh and tell me what other things you have connected to your pc, like usb things, and drives, etc. things that dont have their own power supply.(like printers and monitors have their own power)

Last edited by GTKtino (2005-11-23 23:42:06)

d11fdj
+3|6742|Athens
Thanks dude for your help

ok I don't really have that much - just the graphics card, DVD player, CDRW, 80GB hard drive, 1gig RAM, and some shitty sound card. 

Obviously i have other USB stuff connected to my PC but i'm pretty sure they have their own supply.

Any ideas what might be going wrong?  The lag is awful sometimes - and yes i have the newest drivers for my 6600GT etc...

One more question for you - if i buy a new power unit, is it easy to install it myself?  I'm not too bad at simple stuff, like i can put my graphics card in no probs etc.  But never done a power unit, don't think it's too difficult though.
[DDS]Monkey_boy
+-3|6753
Hi,

I'm having similar problems, Ive got an AMD XP 3000, 1.5 gig of ram, a 512k connection and a 6600GT. Its been happening since I installed the graphics card. I thought it may be a power supply problem, because i had  6 bits that needed power (2 optical drives, 2 hard drives, CPU fan and graphics card) so i upgraded to a 550w from a 300w (which is, buy the way, quite easy), but it has not made a difference. I've upgraded to the latest mainboard drivers and graphics card drivers, but thats had no effect.

Help...please?

Cheers

Russ
d11fdj
+3|6742|Athens

[DDS]Monkey_boy wrote:

Hi,

I'm having similar problems, Ive got an AMD XP 3000, 1.5 gig of ram, a 512k connection and a 6600GT. Its been happening since I installed the graphics card. I thought it may be a power supply problem, because i had  6 bits that needed power (2 optical drives, 2 hard drives, CPU fan and graphics card) so i upgraded to a 550w from a 300w (which is, buy the way, quite easy), but it has not made a difference. I've upgraded to the latest mainboard drivers and graphics card drivers, but thats had no effect.

Help...please?

Cheers

Russ
Hey Russ - so what do you reckon is the problem then?  Faulty graphics card?  It's driving me crazy!  Does it ever freeze up on you, or completely chuck you out etc?
[DDS]Monkey_boy
+-3|6753

d11fdj wrote:

Hey Russ - so what do you reckon is the problem then?  Faulty graphics card?  It's driving me crazy!  Does it ever freeze up on you, or completely chuck you out etc?
I wish i knew. Last night it kicked me out of BF2 3 times, back to the desk top. Windows hangs, and occationally reboots. I've changed motherboard, RAM and power supply, and it still happens. The manual for the graphics card says somthing like 'if you experiance crashes, hanging or reboots, upgrade the AGP miniport drives' (mine is the AGP version of the card) Ive done this, but is seems to have made little difference. Im going to try flashing the BIOS and see if that helps.

Cheers

Russ
d11fdj
+3|6742|Athens

[DDS]Monkey_boy wrote:

d11fdj wrote:

I wish i knew. Last night it kicked me out of BF2 3 times, back to the desk top. Windows hangs, and occationally reboots. I've changed motherboard, RAM and power supply, and it still happens. The manual for the graphics card says somthing like 'if you experiance crashes, hanging or reboots, upgrade the AGP miniport drives' (mine is the AGP version of the card) Ive done this, but is seems to have made little difference. Im going to try flashing the BIOS and see if that helps.

Cheers

Russ
Well let me know what happens - i have the AGP version too.
Kirks
+0|6840|Portland, OR USA
d11fdj, does your machine have issues when you play local?  Not as entertaining but it would isolate problems with your PC vs. problems with your connection.  When you play on line, do you look for a server that is near you?  Early on I was picking servers based on ping, but connecting to a UK server from the west coast of the US did bring me a lot of lag.

Russ, seems kinda simplistic, but did you completely remove any previous video drivers before upgrading to the 6600GT?

-Kirks
CC-Marley
+407|6821
Try lowering your bf2 sound quality to low. Sometimes that can be a problem

Last edited by CC-Marley (2005-11-24 13:03:33)

oberst_enzian
+234|6735|melb.au
I get this lag problem, but only occasionaly and when I stray from my local 'favorite' servers... I always thought it was a client-server connection issue, because it only happens with some servers while others are absolutely fine, and hence nothing at all to do with video or sound cards.
Cruiser
+0|6722|Australia
I have a 2.6 processor and a 6800gt.

Ihad the same problem until I upgraded my video driver to 81.95. I read the changes and they seem to be haveing trouble with AA turned off. I put it to x2 and it works sweet now.
[DDS]Monkey_boy
+-3|6753

Kirks wrote:

Russ, seems kinda simplistic, but did you completely remove any previous video drivers before upgrading to the 6600GT?
Yes, I even reinstalled windows, so there were no drivers at all. I'm thinking of a complete format and reinstall between xmas and new year. Ive got a bit of time off work then.

I went to flash my bios last night until i descovered that i already have the latest version released by the manufacturer, so it wasn't worth doing.

It shouldnt be a connection problem, I'm not connecting to a server that is the other side of the atlantic, the main one I connect to is 15 miles down the road...!!(and i connect to it with a pind of under 100 every time)

Cruiser wrote:

Ihad the same problem until I upgraded my video driver to 81.95. I read the changes and they seem to be haveing trouble with AA turned off. I put it to x2 and it works sweet now
Cheers, I'll try that. I've got the 81.95 driver.

CC-Marley wrote:

Try lowering your bf2 sound quality to low
i'll try that as well.

Cheers

Russ
Teh_Stu
+0|6721
I can almost guarantee it's your power supply.  Replace it ASAP, I ended up frying a mobo about a year ago under about the same conditions.  (2 HDs + CDRW rather than 1HD + DVD + CDRW)  It was also a 300w supply with the 6600 GT.  Bumped to 450 and it's flying fine now.  And catch it early before it draws too hard off the mobo and renders it useless.
andy31419
+1|6742|Savannah - GA
I just put the new patch on 1.12 and now have all kinds of lag.  I have an Nvidia FX 5950 Ultra the is a new update out there that I haven't applied yet but plan on it.  All settings are at Med.  Any ideas?  It worked fine on my fav servers before the update.  Tks
d11fdj
+3|6742|Athens
Ok, whole new set of problems now!! 

Have bought the expansion and installed the patch, and now the game crashes even more often than before, and more importantly, on the few occasions it doesn't crash i get artifacts all over the screen!!  Seriously weird shit, black lines everywhere, makes it absolutely impossible to play.  I'd post a pic but i'm at work.

So what's at fault now? 

Any serious techy help will be greatly appreciated.
RedFiercare
The Kid
+2|6736
Yipes!  GET A NEW POWER SUPPLY!  I've got a 350 watt, and I play BF2 on all low settings (radeon 9500)... but WOW, 300?  I got a 500-watt for... 75 USD I think...
BoxheaDed
+0|6718
Silly question really, which graphic setting you are using? My setting are low/medium, no AA/AF, dynamic light turned off, lightning low, shadows low, texture and geometry are medium. Basically less than medium setting. And this is the maxinum I can set it without gameplay getting laggy. Power supply might be a problem. But not really sure as 6600 GT consumes max 55W loaded.

Check your FPS (framespersecond) while playing:

Type this into the console (bring up console with ยง or ~) renderer.drawFps 1 (type renderer.drawFps 0 to get rid of it). Anything under 30 FPS is pretty much useless. 

I got X800XL on 400W, AMD 3400+, 1G RAM and 2Mb ADSL connection. So avoid servers with ping over 100 and try lowering your graphic settings (sorry to say that). And make sure you do not have any other programs running. BF2 is very demanding on memory. Make sure you have the Cable option selected in the BF2 options (T1 is for LAN parties). I must say 512 connection is little slow, if you do not have servers close to you.

I believe X800 or GT6600 are mininum gards to play BF2. Anything below you are bound to have problems. Just my experience.

and if you have time read this:

http://www.tweakguides.com/BF2_1.html
CC-Marley
+407|6821
My 9700 pro on one rig does just fine at med/low.
CC-Marley
+407|6821

d11fdj wrote:

Have bought the expansion and installed the patch, and now the game crashes even more often than before, and more importantly, on the few occasions it doesn't crash i get artifacts all over the screen!!  Seriously weird shit, black lines everywhere, makes it absolutely impossible to play.  I'd post a pic but i'm at work.

So what's at fault now? 

Any luck bro?
d11fdj
+3|6742|Athens

CC-Marley wrote:

d11fdj wrote:

So what's at fault now? 

Any luck bro?
Well, no not really.  Basically whenever i get artifacts, i can only get rid of them if i restart my computer.  Yep restart the whole thing.  Doesn't get rid of them if i disconnect, restart bf2, only when i restart the whole crappy pc.
So i'm guessing maybe my graphics card overheats, which means that i need a new power supply, but i have an old motherboard so i don't know if it'll support it.....  Arrggggh this is the reason people buy consoles....
On the other hand, i've turned all my settings on low, which is the only way to reduce lag (reduce, not remove).  Gd luck guys, i've already spent over 400 euros upgrading my pc for the sole purpose of playing bf2, and i still have low settings.
uk_japeye
+10|6707|UK
try this for your lag http://forums.filefront.com/showthread. … did=217620 i noticed improvements on my shity comp straight away p4 512mem 6600le, still get kicked for high ping but thats tiscali for ya

Last edited by uk_japeye (2005-12-09 15:01:10)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard