elite
+89|6716|Sheffield, England
Yeah i know theres been alot of topics over tanks and shit.....just thought for those who like tanks would like to see this, it was shown on tv just a few weeks ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqaVIcUa … ger%20tank

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eopNXS8z … ger%20tank

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsnDUT7o … ger%20tank

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2MnKe_E … ger%20tank
Kontrolfreq
+50|6606|Cambridge UK
I saw that documentary on tv a few weeks ago... woot uk tanks are the best!
elite
i know
KnowMeByTrailOfDead
Jackass of all Trades
+62|6683|Dayton, Ohio
Just curious why they never compare with any other modern tanks.  At least not past the canada Challenges.  I would love to see how they copare with US, Israeli, Russian and others.  It was sweet that the crew survived that onslaught.
elite
No modern tanks can compare to another modern tank...they need to fight to truly see
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6551|Southeastern USA
I don't have time to watch tonight, but doesn't the rifled bore actually limit the types of rounds it can use? Damn we need a tanker on the forums, but it seems like the abrams, merkava (look it up, you will dirty your pants), and the challenger would be a give and take sort of battle, the abrams training is supposed to be the best in the world, while the merks have seen the most action, and the challenger is from what I remember the newest.
elite
merkava sucks dude....honestly who thinks that is good??
DoNER90
+14|6519|South Africa
the challenger was poorly moddled in BF2"EF
elite
i would like to hear about a tank with better armour n sht than the challanger..
Deaths_hand
+3|6529|Canada
Elite, i hate to say this but you're wrong, the Merkava is one of the greatest tanks, name another tank of its class that can carry a section of troops as well as fight effectively in Urban terrian, after all its was built to fight in the Gaza strip. but as far as i know the FCS on the Challenger 2 is second to none, after all its the same FCS on the Leopard II(well more or less) as for the Armour, most MLBs today have the exact same armour.

just to add more umph, i am a tanker in the Canadian Armed forces, i've driven just about every tank ever made, including my childhood dream, the Tiger. i have to say though i prefure cruising in a Leopard II any day.
Maj.Do
+85|6754|good old CA
so youve been in a abrams??
elite
WAIT WAIT....canada has tanks...what they called? m4a3 sharman tank???
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!

elite wrote:

do you even know what it is? it is easily the most battle hardened armour platform on the planet, the only drawback is the lack of info on it because everything is so secret, but the design philosophy says it all, a good tank crew is better than a good tank, so build the tank to protect the crew

designed for urban combat, and has modular armor, meaning it can not only be repaired in field by only replacing the damaged sections, but can be refitted before each mission with armor suited for the available threat

I hate wiki, but the links at the bottom are good

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merkava

it has 300 more horses than your challenger
challenger top speed : 37 mph
merkava mk4 top speed: 60 mph
not to mention it's airconditioned, how many tanks have you ever seen with AC?
Deaths_hand
+3|6529|Canada

elite wrote:

WAIT WAIT....canada has tanks...what they called? m4a3 sharman tank???
Canada has over 200 Leopard II tanks, and over 100 Leopard I Tanks, as well as about 20 Scimitars. not mentions more LAVs of different varients then i can count.

on another note, Canada is one of the first countries to stop the use of the MBTs, so it looks like i will be outta the job soon, any one here work for a british armoured regiment and looking for a new Tank Commander?

Last edited by Deaths_hand (2006-08-02 20:18:35)

Deaths_hand
+3|6529|Canada

Maj.Do wrote:

so youve been in a abrams??
yep, i've had the honour of fighting with(first Gulf war) and Against(war games) the A-1, i've even had a chance to drive, fire, and command one. it a really nice tank, the men driving those are some of the most hot headed bastards i've ever seen. the tank itself has flaws, which for obvious reason i cannot disgus, but it is a formidible force, an A-1 can go head to head with just about any tank, assuming it fires first.

Last edited by Deaths_hand (2006-08-02 20:24:53)

kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
wait, isn't that a merk in your sig?

the A-2 gets retrofitted regularly, they currently are being refitted with laminate armor that has a layer of rods made out of depleted uranium
Deaths_hand
+3|6529|Canada

kr@cker wrote:

wait, isn't that a merk in your sig?

the A-2 gets retrofitted regularly, they currently are being refitted with laminate armor that has a layer of rods made out of depleted uranium
lol yeah, good eye, indeed it is a Merkava.

ah yes the A-2, that brings back horrible memories of why the A-1 was upgraded and retofitted to the A-2 we know today. (i will not discuses this one)

and as for tanks and APCs that have AC, its actually a design that stops AT rounds from exploding after they penatrate.
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
the abrams was designed, umm........modularly, so each system can be upgraded as needed, you can regularly see train loads of hull leaving the Anniston/Redstone Arsenal area (not sure which they actually come from) on their way to being refitted, some of the chassis are pushing 25 years old, but due to the constant upgrades are still one of the most effective armor systems out there

and yes, everything I've posted so far is public knowledge, though I'm sure plenty of my other posts are logged somewhere in Langley
Deaths_hand
+3|6529|Canada
Kracker, by any chance are you in an Armoured Regiment? you sound like you know more about the Abram then a civ should.
elite
if u gona comment....at least watch all 4 of the videos ok!!!
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
no, I just stay up on my shit, actually I work at an Air Force Base, don't report me plz
ShotYourSix
Boldly going nowhere...
+196|6721|Las Vegas
Bummer.  Looks like YouTube is down for some maintenance....
elite

ShotYourSix wrote:

Bummer.  Looks like YouTube is down for some maintenance....
u can watch it now
mavrick 3399
EA GAMES PATCH EVERYTHING
+102|6543|Doncaster UK
this made me laugh and it kinda contradicts what Kr@cker said

kr@cker wrote:

elite wrote:

do you even know what it is? it is easily the most battle hardened Armour platform on the planet, the only drawback is the lack of info on it because everything is so secret, but the design philosophy says it all, a good tank crew is better than a good tank, so build the tank to protect the crew
https://images.google.co.uk/images?q=tbn:u9GOpxmMnOazHM:www.blimdanet.com/galeria

the crew weren't that good that time
ShotYourSix
Boldly going nowhere...
+196|6721|Las Vegas
That was a great history bit.  Thanks man! +1

A few things I found particularly interesting:

- Adding one milllimeter of steel armour to a tank increased its weight by 1 ton.
- Leave it to the British to build a tank which can destroy and entire building while at the same time making a pot of tea.
- What is this ^ marking for?  I see it on a lot of tanks.
- That longshot in Desert Storm was amazing.  Can you imagine the whoops and backslapping after that one?
- Challenger II can hit 8 targets in only 40 seconds.  Amazing.
- Where is part 5?
- Where is part 5?
- Where is part 5?

Big thanks for posting this.  Really enjoyed it.

Last edited by ShotYourSix (2006-08-04 04:57:39)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard