Other, Explain.11%11% - 28
Total: 241
herrr_smity
+156|6629|space command ur anus

BADHEAD wrote:

herrr_smity wrote:

454 Casull
Ok ....
Well everyone wants to be Dirty Harry.  I always love it when someone goes to the total extreme.
9mm is more than fine.
Most handgun fights happen at 5-7 yards. Who cares if it drops energy at 25 yards. Top 9mm loads hit 400 + Footpounds. The idea is to put a bullets where you want them.
I like the ballistic numbers on the .40 and 10mm.  Both of these are great new loads.
i like 9mm in fact i own one, i just wanted to join the penis enlarger club
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

herrr_smity wrote:

BADHEAD wrote:

herrr_smity wrote:

454 Casull
Ok ....
Well everyone wants to be Dirty Harry.  I always love it when someone goes to the total extreme.
9mm is more than fine.
Most handgun fights happen at 5-7 yards. Who cares if it drops energy at 25 yards. Top 9mm loads hit 400 + Footpounds. The idea is to put a bullets where you want them.
I like the ballistic numbers on the .40 and 10mm.  Both of these are great new loads.
I'm suprised that with all its video game publicity, .50's aren't up here.

As for 'penis enlargement,' my compound bow spits out arrows just a bit longer than my arm from a 70# pull.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-08-01 08:59:18)

BADHEAD
+6|6500|Oblivion

herrr_smity wrote:

BADHEAD wrote:

herrr_smity wrote:

454 Casull
Ok ....
9mm is more than fine.
Well then I would take the 454 Casull over  the .50AE. LOL.
Kparz
+1|6703
I took my Texas concealed coarse last weekend so I feel a little knowledgable about carry weapons.  After learning the laws and responsiblities of carrying and possibly having to use the weapon(which I never want to do, but I do want the option)  I would carry something that has stopping power but minimal penetration.  Also something that is going to be fairly easy to maintain a tight shot group in a fire fight.  My choice is the 9mm with lead pinned jacketed hollow points.  16 round mag is convienient but unnecessary if your shots are placed correctly. 1 to the chest of a target and the spreading action is going to end whatever aggression was intended.  If you want something that is really easy to conceal I would go with a Bersa Thunder .380.  Basically a 9mm short and fits in the palm of the hand.

Remember if you are in a position where you shoot someone and the bullet continues on to hit an innocent you could be found in the right to have shot the aggressor but you will do time for the innocent.

Always be prepared.  Practice.  Practice. Practice.  Be disciplined and in control of emotions and your mouth.

Most importantly, if and when the time comes.  THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A FAIR FIGHT.  If you ain't shooting, you should be running or reloading.
James-m
+28|6551|England
.50 theyd be dead instantly
InviSniper
The first true Sniper.
+95|6645|Cumberland, MD, USA
.45 ACP. Plenty of knock-down power.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

James-m wrote:

.50 theyd be dead instantly
Likely, but not certainly. Getting part of a limb blown off could send you into shock, with the same inevitable result though.
|AIA| DAS
+23|6499|Me Dad's Wilkins
Just a point of order here... To the WWII fans, and I happen to be one myself, the 1911 uses .45ACP ammo.  The original 1911 government issue was made by Colt.  The Colt 45 is a different projectile all together, it is called 45 long colt.  Almost like a rifle bullet, very close in size to the 454 Casull bullet.

That being said I like the .45 ACP, but I carry a Glock 19 9mm, I've carried a Glock 21 on occasion, however it is a handCannon, little too heavy for everyday use.  Besides I've got 16 Hydroshoks in the mag and 1 in the chamber.  Not very likely I would need more power than that for personal protection.  Unless I was up to no good.  9mm bullets are a lot cheaper at the range also approx. $5/box as opposed to .45acp @ $15 / box.
imortal
+240|6666|Austin, TX

=[BK]=tech_12 wrote:

colt .45

i so want a 1911...
ummmm... the 1911 is .45 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol).  the "colt .45" is actually the .45 Long Colt, for use in revolvers.  Single action revolvers, for the most place. 

Make mine the .45 ACP.  Stopping power.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6718
Desert Eagle .50
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
imortal
+240|6666|Austin, TX

AlbertWesker[RE] wrote:

Interesting to see how many people here know a lot about firearms and their cartridges (not bullets), and how many know only things from video games.
I spent a year and a half working in shooting ranges.  I was also in the army for 8 years.  I have owned handguns chambered in 9mm, .357(magnum, not SIG), .40, and .45ACP, all in various guises.  I have shot handguns in just about every calibre up to .454 Casull and .50 Action express.  Ok, I have not shot any of the strange calibres that have come out in the last 5 years.  but I speak with a bit of experience.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6737|Salt Lake City

Horseman 77 wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Horseman 77 wrote:

" best compromise " why compromise? 

.45 No contest, not to mention that bad guys melt when you point it at them. I have heard them blubber things like,

" I wanna to go home ! "

I was dumb founded.
Because the .45APC is not the best for what some people want.  The .45 lacks capacity, the 9mm lacks the power.  The .40 is a good compromise to get the best of both.

The bore on the .40 is quite a bit larger than the 9mm, and people will know very well they are looking at a larger calibre weapon if you point it at them.
I hear you. I think capacity is a real concern for one in uniform, I am not.
I used to be a capacity minded person. But I have only fired 4 shots in anger on three occasions 2, 1 and 1

The Compromise I will lean to is carry-ability, The shitty caliber you carry on you will out preform the one you left home because it was to awkward to carry. So I am guilty of procuring a Walther ppk 380.

" keep it coming "
A Walther, huh?  Just don't do the James Bond pose...or I'll have to shoot you myself. 
Jaguar
+2|6575

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Desert Eagle .50
the 50AE is good for one thing to a civilian: anti animal
The desert eagle was not designed as an anti personel weapon.  It was developed as a 'small', holster-carryable, easily manueverd weapon for Isreali tankers/mounted troops.  the intent was to develop a weapon that could disable the pseudo 'technicals' that Palestinians would annoy the troops with(by driving in circles around the tanks).  The desert eagle enabled the tankers to disable the trucks without destroying property, and they didn't have to drag a rifle outta the top hatch to do so(which takes time, is cumbersome, and would alert the Palestinians to run).   

No one in their right mind would ever carry a Desert Eagle .50AE for personal defense, to show off maybe, but not defense.  You cannot conceal it (well, not practicaly), it is HUGE, it's heavy to the point you wouldn't want to carry it everday, it still kicks like a mule so forget followup shots, and it's expen$ive.   It is definitely a weapon choice for either people who don't know anything about weapons or someone who has MAJOR compensation issues...

btw, .45ACP for me.  I carry a .380ACP everyday for deep concealment, since my job wouldn't enjoy me carrying a fullsize, but a .45ACP every other time.  My most recent acquisition eliminates the capacity issue.  The Springfield XD .45ACP Tactical has the same length barrel as a 1911, holds 13rds in the MAG,  and recoils like a friggin Glock 17 9mm.  Love that thing.

Don't like the .40S&W much.  I used to, but know i see it as the solution to a problem that never really existed.  It's a hot load, but it isn't a 45ACP.  It offers more capacity, but not as much as 9mm. 

Even though i prefer .45ACP, a 9mm is more than enough for civilian/LE useage.  This is due to cilivian and LE being able to use hollowpoints.  A 9mm hydrashock/hornady TAP/Remington Golden Saber will get the job done just fine.  Especially if using 9mm +P or +P+ ammo.  For miltary(who aren't supposed to use hollowpoints) a .45ACP is bear minimum IMHO.

*EDIT* for spelling/grammar and additional content

Last edited by Jaguar (2006-08-01 13:23:07)

Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6695|San Francisco
I'm going to stick with a .44 Magnum revolver.  After trying out .22s, .40s, .45s, and 9mm's, the .44 Magnum Ruger Redhawk had the most natural feeling to it.  Nothing but bullseyes at 15 yards with the thing.  Going to try it at 25 yards the next time I head over to the gun range.  It fit my hand perfectly, and I can easily control the kick.

I'll take the Kezar Combat .45 in a pinch, as that was a nice gun.  Tried out a 1911 Colt .45 this past weekend, and I was really disappointed.  The sights are almost non-existent, so it was really hard to aim with the damn thing.  I was also not fond of the shell casing ejection system...shooting it straight up and over your head rather than out to the side.  If you didn't control the recoil, the brass would go straight into your face.

Then again, I don't plan on carrying a gun.  I just want to own one for the sport of it.
ts-pulsar
+54|6504
Wow, I only have 5 others who agree with me that 10mm is the way to go.  As much if not more stopping power than .45acp and larger magazine capacity.

That said, I don't own a 10mm handgun, as no one out there seems to make one I like.  Glock builds a good one, but I don't like glock as a company cause they tend to treat gunsmiths like shit.  They have this attitude that there guns are perfect and any problem the gun has is obviously the owners fault.

My carry piece is a CZ-75d (also known as CZ-75 PCR) which is a 9mm.  I like it because it is very comfortable, it's small, which is good cause I'm almot never in weather where I need to cover up.  It's also ery reliable, I've put a lot of ammo through it at the range with out a single failure.

And if we are gonna play the bigger penis game, I'd take the S&W .500 Magnum, that way if that bull elephant ever charges me, I can take him down.

P.S.  Don't ever shoot the .500 Magnum with a 2 inch barrel, bruise didn't go away for a couple weeks.  I still don't know why the guy even had a 2 inch barrel on it, but he was using it as his carry piece.
AlbertWesker[RE]
Not Human Anymore
+144|6645|Seattle, WA

jmbbf1975 wrote:

Well since the question is "best carry handgun ever"  My opinion is  Smith and Wesson Peacemaker, the gun that "won the west.
Mmm nice gun, though the question was Best Carry Handgun Caliber Ever???
AlbertWesker[RE]
Not Human Anymore
+144|6645|Seattle, WA

ts-pulsar wrote:

Wow, I only have 5 others who agree with me that 10mm is the way to go.  As much if not more stopping power than .45acp and larger magazine capacity.
Careful using 10mm, because now I can't tell if your talking about 10mm Auto or .40 S&W (both of which have a bullet diameter of approx .400 inch)

And 10mm Auto does not have a higher mag capacity than .45acp.
Leprechaun56
Proud Infantry Whore
+31|6585|U.S.A
Id say the .40 cal because most weapons that use it arent too heavy. Those who say .50 try carrying one of those things arround all day. THEY ARE HUGE!
Ikarti
Banned - for ever.
+231|6711|Wilmington, DE, US
Where Is The .22 Option!!!1111
USAFDude_1988
Will fly for food.
+120|6510|Daytona Beach, FL

[GPIII]_Maj.Bong wrote:

Colt .45  WWII all the way
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Leprechaun56 wrote:

Id say the .40 cal because most weapons that use it arent too heavy. Those who say .50 try carrying one of those things arround all day. THEY ARE HUGE!
Well...requires a bit of counterbalance, sort of like a small...sword. But I wouldn't carry a .50 around unless I was planning to punch holes through car doors.
l41e
+677|6650

5.7x28 SS190.

Better armor penetration than most pistol rounds, plus low recoil.
imortal
+240|6666|Austin, TX

AlbertWesker[RE] wrote:

ts-pulsar wrote:

Careful using 10mm, because now I can't tell if your talking about 10mm Auto or .40 S&W (both of which have a bullet diameter of approx .400 inch)

And 10mm Auto does not have a higher mag capacity than .45acp.
Actually, the 10mm sometimes has a one round advantage over the .45 magazine wise.  The problem with the 10mm was bullet design.  They found that there was too much power in the 10mm round, causing the bullet to completely penetrate the target (body), instead of stopping inside it.  You do NOT, I say again NOT, want a round to overpenatrate.  As cool as it sounds, it is just wasted energy.  They found that the 10mm cartrige performed MUCH better when underloaded.  Then they just shortened the case and called it a .40 S&W.
Drexor
+33|6615|Denmark
Colt ftw
travisb05
bullseye (+)
+58|6700|U.S
.357 MAG awsome power in a pistol seeing as it was in a rifle before someone called Smith&Wesson made a pistol version. changed my mind .410 scatters and can fit in a pocket gun derringer or the same gun can use a .45 how neat

Last edited by travisb05 (2006-08-01 16:14:45)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard