Coolbeano
Level 13.5 BF2S Ninja Penguin Sensei
+378|6937

EDIT: nevermind too lazy wrong calculations >.<

Last edited by Coolbeano (2005-11-24 01:02:48)

Nehil
+3|6905|South Sweden (NOT SWITZERLAND)
The most bang for your buck right now would be a X2 3800+, a 7800GT (or 6800GS if you don't have the cash) and 2Gb of ram. We are at a breaking point right now with multithreaded games that could really use the dual core potential. But you might still want to wait a month or two if you need a new graphics card, the new R580 from ATi is comming around christmas (they say) and we have AMD's new socket M2 comming up around march. Expect prices to drop after christmas as usual.
nayo450
+-1|6966

B.Schuss wrote:

But as people have said, whatever hardware you buy, it will be outdated a couple of weeks later.
only in compreason to newer hardware, but for software not so much,besides games like BF2 require more in the memory, and realy who needs 1024mb of GDDR ram? not even F.E.A.R. needs that much even running in high
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|7015|Cologne, Germany

nayo450 wrote:

B.Schuss wrote:

But as people have said, whatever hardware you buy, it will be outdated a couple of weeks later.
only in compreason to newer hardware, but for software not so much,besides games like BF2 require more in the memory, and realy who needs 1024mb of GDDR ram? not even F.E.A.R. needs that much even running in high
I agree, but one should always prepare for the future. When I get myself a new rig next year, I will have to plan a little bit ahead. As Nehil has said, future games will be making much more out of the dual processor and / or 64-bit technology, so it would be wise to at least consider that. Especially if you don't have the money to buy a new rig every single year. Who knows how complex and demanding future games might be.

For example, I paid a ridiculous amount of money for my X800 XT Platinum last year, but I insisted on buying the best card available at that particular moment, so I'd be sure not having to buy a new card 6 months later.
Landepaukku
Finnish bush-man
+23|7011|Finland

Cronjob wrote:

Make sure you get a board with four DIMM slots because you DO NOT want to use 1gb RAM sticks. They incur heavy latency. Use 4x512mb sticks.
So whats a good example of a mobo that fits those requirements?
Badcomp
+2|6962|U.S.
I would rather use 2 X 1 gb sticks and have dual channel, 1T  timing, than 4 X 512 and have NON dual channel and 2T timings.

I wouldn't be concerned of failure of a stick with the 2 X 1gb config anyway. Any of the decent manufacturers have good warranties anyway. Besides, if one is building a high end machine, you shouldn't be using any of the "value" crap anyway.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard