Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6806|Noizyland

This is a recent issue which means more to me than most of you, but I'd still appreciate your opinions.

The Haka is a New Zealand sporting, (and cultural,) tradition. It is mostly performed before big international games, so I'll be concentrating more on the sporting side of it.

The Haka is a Maori war dance, used to intimidate opponents. Those of you who know a bit about rugby will know that it is synonymous with our national team, the All Blacks, although some other teams choose to do the same. Regardless, the message of the Haka dosn't really carry the same message as it does with the All Blacks as we suck at everything but rugby.
There are mixed feelings in the international community for it. Some think it's a joke, (Americans, I'm looking at you,) some respect it and some even market it, (Italians decided to add the Haka to an ad for a new car - no-one told them that women don't do the Haka,) regardless, they still let us do it, which is cool.

Mostly there is one Haka, "Ka'Mate" which can be viewed, (crappy video from a French test a while ago, led by AB captain Tana Umanga,) here.
This one is the most known one, and is subject to a lot of ridicule, mostly from the Aussies. When the NZ basketball team went to America for a big international competition they decided to do this Haka too. since NZ sucks at Basketball the US sporting headlines were "They can't play, but they can dance!" The next year when we came back we came third, (while America came fifth or something,) the apologetic headlines were "They can play and they can dance!"
Recently the Aussies have been having a go at it, editing in to a video of the Haka the All Blacks wearing handbags, (related to the fact that Tana Umanga had hit team mate Chris Masoe over the head with one when they were a bit wasted at the pub.) Since we've never minding a bit of ribbing from the Aussies we all had a good laugh and the All Blacks threashed them the next weekend.

Lately at the Try Nations between NZ, Australia and South Africa th All Blacks have opted for a different Haka - "Kapa o Pango" - this is where this gets problematic. but before I go on, here's a recent video of it here, (last weekends game between NZ and South Africa.)
The main problem with this is the throat-cutting motion near the end. Some nay-sayers are complaining that this is too violent and intimidating.

News flash! It's a fucking war-dance! It's meant to be intimidating! the Haka has always been vicious, "Ka'mate" was written by Te Rauparaha, (who was a  Maori Chief,) about his exploits down to the South Island to get Utu, (revenge,) on another tribe. He mercilously slaughtered them and ate the dead chiefs in front of the few captives he left alive. Nevertheless the translated words don't suggest this and it is really the actions that go with it which communicates the story - and people can interpret actions how they wish.

What's worse I feel, is that people are quite happy to insult it, ridicule it or capitalise off it, but when we perform it violently, (or whatever the fuck they're complaining about,) they find the need to complain! Well fuck that!

The game tonight is between Australia and New Zealand. No doubt we will still do the Haka, and relating to the debate at hand it will be "Kapa o Pango" and no doubt we will fucking thrash the Aussies again.

I'm interested in your guys' opinions. Do you think it's impressive or too violent? Do you think it's pointless or interesting and unique? (well... not quite - Fiji and Samoa do similar things, although it dosn't carry the same weight behind it.)
More importantly, do you think that those PC complainers should go fuck off about 'violent' actions in 'Kapa o Pango' or do you agree with them and reckon we should tone it down a bit?

Sorry for writing a lot, I am prone to these oubursts.

For recap: "Ka'Mate" - 'traditional' All Black Haka.
                "Kapa o Pango" - new Haka.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6561|Global Command
More importantly, do you think that those PC complainers should go fuck off about 'violent' actions in 'Kapa o Pango'
Yes. Yes I do.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6706|Canberra, AUS
Even I, a diehard Aussie, has to agree. IT'S POINT IS TO GODDAMN INTIMIDATE PEOPLE. It's not some friggin theatre show.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Jestar
Shifty's Home Number: 02 9662 8432
+373|6772

Pfft, Goddman Kiwi's.
Stop Shagging those Sheep .

I'm more a follower of AFL than rugby, but ask THA and hell tell you everything.
dhoar4
Banned
+151|6567|Forest Lake, Australia
Even as a proud Aussie, I have a huge respect and admiration for the New Zealand Haka.  I get chills up my spine whenever I watch it.  Love the throat cutting...Brilliant
tiptopT
+72|6613|Scotland's Capital
I've seen the Haka "Ka' Mate" and its awesome, it was when you played (thrashed) Scotland and i thought it was ace.  The world is becoming far too PC, the amount of people who dont want it will be FAR outweighed by the people that do want it.  If they dont like it...dont watch!!
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6593
I don't think the Haka should be used, because it's a war dance.  So far as I'm concerned, you can play the goddamn game and get on with it.  Of course, I'm not a rugby fan.
kn0ckahh
+98|6770|netherlands, sweet lake city
I think it's an impresive dance..... it's both to scre the opponents as to give mental power for the team.
But as far as the complainers, they are there and will alays be there nothing you can do about ... but they can't do anything about it except piss a few PPL of with theyre whining....
the haka is a great dance and I think only a minority dislikes it...
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6806|Noizyland

Well, Full time. Our line out was crap and the Aussies hammered our defence. Honestly, the Aussies wanted the win more, (but didn't get it. )
13 - 9 to New Zealand and I must say, fucking well played.

I could blame our abysmal lineout or praise the Australians for their utter superb composure, but I think the key was that the All Blacks opted for the more traditional "Ka'Mate" rather than "Kapa o Pango", just to make sure the PC wankers didn't blow their collective nut.
Still, after the Haka I saw many of the black-clad fans performing the infamous throat-cutting action anyway.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6753|Sydney, Australia

Tyferra wrote:

The game tonight is between Australia and New Zealand. No doubt we will still do the Haka, and relating to the debate at hand it will be "Kapa o Pango" and no doubt we will fucking thrash the Aussies again.
I beg to differ...

Thankyou for the insight into the Haka. I'll be sure to check that video of the new one, to see what all the fuss is about.

Mcminty.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6753|Sydney, Australia

Tyferra wrote:

Well, Full time. Our line out was crap and the Aussies hammered our defence. Honestly, the Aussies wanted the win more, (but didn't get it. )
13 - 9 to New Zealand and I must say, fucking well played.
Fucking serious.... I didn't realise the time.

Mcminty.
Mongoose
That 70's guy
+156|6562|Sydney, in 1978
i love new zealand, they have the coolest accents
-101-InvaderZim
+42|6875|Waikato, Aotearoa
Fuckin Oath I do Ty

The ABs have been doing it since the Originals of 1910-15? toured the British Isles undefeated.
Lil bit  disappointed that Ka Mate was used instead of Kapa o Pango - just to piss the Aussies off
Final score - 13-9 to the ABs (yay NZ keep the Bledisloe Cup for another year)

Oh and Lang Park was almost sold out (2 ppl apparently didnt show up)
Hawk390
+27|6675|Melbourne, Australia
psh, we can do the australian haka they performed at the world cup when them filthy poms took teh cup.

'SKULL YOU BEER SKULL YOUR BEER MORE! MORE!"

i love that line
[pt] KEIOS
srs bsns
+231|6684|pimelteror.de
the haka is definitely the best about rugby...
Jinto-sk
Laid Back Yorkshireman
+183|6623|Scarborough Yorkshire England
It would not be a match against New Zealand if they did not do the Haka before the match. I think it is a tradition that should be maintained, part of NZ Mauri heritage, I know there has been some arguments over there about rights to land owner ship when us Brits traded guns etc, the Mauri's are part of NZ heritage and there customs should not be ignored.
So there is a throat slitting motion big whoop de doo, it is a traditional dance of intimidation, I wouldn't want one of those big ass all blacks threatening me like that and as I said before the whole world expects NZ to do the haka before a game.
New Zealand - best country I've visited, nice friendly people, lovely countryside
P.S. Has anyone seen Once Were Warriors - quite a depressing film but the fight scenes are brutal
Em0
+0|6524
Thanks for your insight in the Haka. I knew it was a Maori war-dance, but when I saw the video of the "Kapa o Pano" it still took me by surprise.

So while the Kapa o Pano tells a violent story, I think the Haka as a war-dance served also to unite the warriors, to acknowledge the team effort that went into war. And in that sense, I think, the Haka has changed its meaning. It has changed form a war-dance to a team-dance first and foremost. Now it is there to unite a team, to unite indigenous people and the "newcomers", to unite a nation.

So I think you have to respect it, you have to respect it a lot.
orac07
+2|6687|Perth, Australia
If its a Maori thing why do the sporting teams do it? I could understand an all Maori team performing it  but the mixed All Blacks?
462nd NSP653
Devout Moderate, Empty Head.
+57|6715
Brilliant!  This is awesome!  I wouldn't take any offense to it at all.  Sporting events are a competition and not being from NZ, I'm assuming this is a part of their tradition.  I think I'm pretty rational and by no means do I think it implies the AB guys were going to literally behead the opposing players.  I have a problem with people who are overly PC as well.  I fear that pretty soon, we'll all be one flavor with no variety (so as not to offend anyone). I think many PC groups have gone too far...they've lost the dose of common sense that allows one to determine what is meant to deliberately be offensive and what is simply someone's opinions and culture influencing action and thought.

The Kapa o Pano Haka? Just another culture on display and something to be respected, not despised.

So I get from the posts the NZ guys beat the Aussies? Man, I bet that rivalry is just an amazing one to watch. I'd love to see it first hand some day, I'll bet it's unbelievable.
Jinto-sk
Laid Back Yorkshireman

Hawk390 wrote:

psh, we can do the australian haka they performed at the world cup when them filthy poms took teh cup.

i love that line
YAY we finally won something LOL, then the ashes, what next a brit that can play tennis
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6696|NT, like Mick Dundee

Hawk390 wrote:

i love that line
SLAPPING MY ARSE, WITH MY THONG...

I live in the town that comes from, been to the beach it was filmed on.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Jinto-sk
Laid Back Yorkshireman

orac07 wrote:

If its a Maori thing why do the sporting teams do it? I could understand an all Maori team performing it  but the mixed All Blacks?
Surely it shouldn't matter all part of being from the same country/one nation
paranoid101
Ambitious but Rubbish
+540|6771
The All Blacks should be able to do any Haka they want to.

Also The English team should be Able to do their own Version of intimidating the opposition, with the Great English Tradition of Pulling down their shorts and Mooning the the opposite Team.
-101-InvaderZim
+42|6875|Waikato, Aotearoa
After some research, it was the Originals of 1905 that started the tradition of the Haka.

And Paranoid, its the SCOTS that moon the opposition - not the English

And the Aussie Haka (if it can be called that) - and no offense to us Kiwis is:

Take your thong off your foot
Slap your thong on your arse

Drink your beer Drink your beer
Scull it Scull  it
Drink your beer Drink your beer
Scull it Scull it

The World Cup isnt yours,
You wont get it

So why dont you Go Waltzing Matilda instead

Last edited by -101-InvaderZim (2006-07-29 16:47:45)

rootbeer73
+24|6616|in a small dark place

Mongoose wrote:

i love new zealand, they have the coolest accents
AND THE BEST WOMAN

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard