Since day One.
+247|6560|Hungary
OIL = Money,Power...and thats in Iraq
[RU]Grmbl
+9|6495|Russia

venom6 wrote:

OIL = Money,Power...and thats in Iraq
Yep.

Oh, by the way, we may add new item now to the list of USA "helping" other countries: aiding Israel in bombing shit out of Lebanese civilians.
spastic bullet
would like to know if you are on crack
+77|6542|vancouver

Snackdaddy wrote:

elite wrote:

If im not mistaken....the american invented the internet but the english invented the world wide web (www)
Yea, you would be wrong.

source: wikipedia
Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) is a method used to transfer or convey information on the World Wide Web. It is a patented open internet protocol whose original purpose was to provide a way to publish and receive HTML pages.

source: IETF Website
The first IETF meeting was on January 16, 1986, consisting of 21 U.S.-government-funded researchers

Per the HTTP RFC

R. Fielding   
UC Irvine         University of Irvine (California)
J. Gettys
Compaq/W3C    Palo Alto, CA /  (W3C) has 415 Members (as of today)
J. Mogul   
Compaq            Palo Alto, CA
H. Frystyk
W3C/MIT            (W3C) has 415 Members (as of today) / cambridge, ma
L. Masinter
Xerox               Stamford, CT
P. Leach
Microsoft           Redmond, Wa
T. Berners-Lee
June 1999
Tim Berners-Lee is English.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berners-Lee

Having said that, it's kinda pointless to claim inventions and discoveries on behalf of countries, IMO.  Historically, such things have almost always come about incrementally, building gradually on top of all that came before, or even completely by accident.

And how many people in here chose the country they were born in, anyway?

Nationalism is either boring or dangerous.  But mostly boring.
PekkaA
+36|6666|Finland

redhawk454 wrote:

mavrick 3399 wrote:

redhawk you do know that most pilots flying for the RAF in WW2 were British and polish not mostly american which is what you seem to think.
I didnt say that they were mostly any country. I said that our pilots were flying for the RAF, before we were officially in the war. next time read the post.
They were pilots who volunteered to war. Not ordered by your government. What I'm trying to point is, that the credits should go to those pilots. I don't think they did it thinking that some american could polish his shield 60 years later.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS
I decided to put this post up because I am sick and tired of people from other nations putting myself and other Americans down.
Alright then, let's see what you got.

1: America invented the internet, remember this the next time you feel America sux.
Not a great start. The internet was invented by the military - but it wasn't so much an internet (as we know today) as a very big LAN network. The WORLD WIDE WEB (which includes, websites and email) was invented by Tim-Berners Lee and CERN who are EUROPEANS.
2: America is the home to Microsoft(ok bad example) but for most of the people who play BF2, that includes windows.
Your point being...?
3 America bailed England and France out during WWII(plz dispute). I guess most of the other nations were fans of Adolf Hitler, he wanted complete gun control, so his subject couldn't resist, (he wasnt much different than Saddam Hussein). Oh I am sorry that was supposed to be about WMD's actually it was about human rights. Then again America entered WWII because Japan bombed Pearl Harbor, what did that have to do with the Nazi's and Europe? Ok Japan and Germany And Italy were the Axis powers. Still only Japan attacked us so why did we care if some other country was being controlled against their will? Because this is America. Afghanistan held Osama Bin Ladin. Saddam Hussein was no different than Adolph Hitler. No matter what I put here, there will be but this, but that, but its.
Interestingly enough, he also wanted smoking banned and his Nazi scientists were the first to prove that smoking causes cancer. Funny old world, innit?

[b]Well, erm, it generally helps to help your ally. That's why you HAVE allies in the first place. The collapse of Europe as an US ally would have had catastrophic results for its economy. I'll leave the rest of that post, I simply can't link that with the rest of what... well... anyone's said, really.
I Invite other PATRIOTIC Americans to put their 2Bits worth in here. Just because its about time we told the world WTF.
What's the point of putting this in here? It's like having a door which slides having a PUSH sign on it.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

Snackdaddy wrote:

elite wrote:

If im not mistaken....the american invented the internet but the english invented the world wide web (www)
Yea, you would be wrong.

source: wikipedia
Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) is a method used to transfer or convey information on the World Wide Web. It is a patented open internet protocol whose original purpose was to provide a way to publish and receive HTML pages.

source: IETF Website
The first IETF meeting was on January 16, 1986, consisting of 21 U.S.-government-funded researchers

Per the HTTP RFC

R. Fielding   
UC Irvine         University of Irvine (California)
J. Gettys
Compaq/W3C    Palo Alto, CA /  (W3C) has 415 Members (as of today)
J. Mogul   
Compaq            Palo Alto, CA
H. Frystyk
L. Masinter
Xerox               Stamford, CT
P. Leach
Microsoft           Redmond, Wa
T. Berners-Lee
June 1999
I thought the WWW was first designed and used INSIDE CERN as a way of sharing info (it's a big, big, big BIG place)
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
mavrick 3399
EA GAMES PATCH EVERYTHING
+102|6543|Doncaster UK

Spark wrote:

What's the point of putting this in here? It's like having a door which slides having a PUSH sign on it.
LMFAO
Cactusfist
Pusher of sausages Down Hallways
+26|6569
Smaller countries envy power of the larger ones. Larger countries fear the envy. N one wins

Plus America indirectly invented 4chan, for this, i am grateful
BVC
+325|6697
America did not win WW2
Russia did not win WW2
The commonwealth did not win WW2.

Do you know who did win WW2?

The ALLIES won WW2.

Why do I say this?  If any of the three groups listed were to have not been involved in the war, do you think the allies would have then won it?

The internet was invented in America, yes, thanks for that, but lots of stuff americans use was invented elsewhere.

You like your guns, right?  Who do you think invented gunpowder?  The chinese.  And the Arabs invented the cannon, which turned into the musket and then modern guns...And plastic?  An Englishman by the name of Alexander Parkes invented that...the keyboard you're typing on, its made partially of plastic...And automobiles come from Germany (arguably), having been the work of a guy called Karl Benz.

Although I will say, American hotdogs are bloody nice!

Cactusfist wrote:

Plus America indirectly invented 4chan, for this, i am grateful
THE POOLS CLOSED, ITS GOT AIDS!!!
elite
+89|6716|Sheffield, England
ownership10
+9|6734

[RU]Grmbl wrote:

Everyone knows that USA is the country of peace, goodwill, actually is a center of the (relatively small if compared to USA) world and also USA helped other "third world" countries numerous times:
- http://www.neravt.com/left/invade.htm
- http://www.history.navy.mil/wars/foabroad.htm

Yep.

P.S. I was always impressed of quality and amount of brainwashing done by fovernment to USA citizens.
this comes from someone from russia, are they still teaching you in school that you won the cold war, and that the labor camps of the stallin era were wilderness retreats and that you really didnt opress the eastern european nations that you over ran you just protected them.  oh and by the way, democracy survived the cold war, the soviet union didn't there asshat
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6551|Southeastern USA
i think you have confused the intent of this thread as being "america is better than you" as opposed to "america is a great country", these pissing matches don't start until someone comes up and tries to tell us some stupid shit like "america was established by _________" or other idiotic non-sense like that (for that matter america was started by americans), we don't sit around in the local bar and grill saying things like "thank god I'm not a green toothed limey" or shit like that, hell look at my sig, enfield is a british bike/gun manufacturer

Last edited by kr@cker (2006-07-28 05:57:10)

TrueArchon
Enemy Sniper..." *BOOM* "Nevermind... got him...
+61|6596|Las Vegas, NV USA
The worst thing that people should take into consideration whenever an opinion is brought up about the USA:

"Damned if we do.  Damned if we don't."

Hell, every country has it's good history, and bad history.  Another popular phrase comes to mind:  "People with glass houses shouldn't throw stones."

Before condemning and badmouthing another country, consider what your own has done that you'd be ashamed of.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6563

TrueArchon wrote:

Before condemning and badmouthing another country, consider what your own has done that you'd be ashamed of.
Sure, the next time someone talks about Australia I'll comment upon our treatment of Aborigines, our generosity (or rather, lack thereof) in foreign aid, our handling of illegal immigrants, and John Howard's refusal to act appropriately in relation to the Cronulla Riots.  Until then, I'll continue to comment on the US.
[RU]Grmbl
+9|6495|Russia

ownership10 wrote:

[RU]Grmbl wrote:

Everyone knows that USA is the country of peace, goodwill, actually is a center of the (relatively small if compared to USA) world and also USA helped other "third world" countries numerous times:
- http://www.neravt.com/left/invade.htm
- http://www.history.navy.mil/wars/foabroad.htm

Yep.

P.S. I was always impressed of quality and amount of brainwashing done by fovernment to USA citizens.
this comes from someone from russia, are they still teaching you in school that you won the cold war, and that the labor camps of the stallin era were wilderness retreats and that you really didnt opress the eastern european nations that you over ran you just protected them.  oh and by the way, democracy survived the cold war, the soviet union didn't there asshat
Yep, and also we have snow and bears on the streets everywhere. Never been to anywhere outside your school's playground, did you?

I guess you assume that USA is living in so-called "democracy". Well, then go back to your hotdogs and sitcoms, stupid yankee, get more bullshit stuffed into your brain replacement.
RicardoBlanco
The English
+177|6570|Oxford

Bubbalo wrote:

TrueArchon wrote:

Sure, the next time someone talks about Australia I'll comment upon our treatment of Aborigines, our generosity (or rather, lack thereof) in foreign aid, our handling of illegal immigrants, and John Howard's refusal to act appropriately in relation to the Cronulla Riots.  Until then, I'll continue to comment on the US.
Same for England...
orac07
+2|6657|Perth, Australia

redhawk454 wrote:

America bailed England and France out during WWII(plz dispute). I
Crap the Brits won the battle of Britain whilst you lot were off partying. The Africa offensive was going OK too.
The Soviets had moved their tank production way into the east and were tooling up nicely. The likely out come without the yanks was a larger slice of Europe for the Soviets. You only entered into Europe because you saw
a  geo political benefit  in it.

Last edited by orac07 (2006-07-28 06:55:49)

Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6563
Having read over the thread, I don't know what you guys are talking about.  Everyone knows that Al Gore invented the internet, and George Bush is the reason terrorists don't own the world.  James Bond was out back having a smoko at the time.
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6551|Southeastern USA
let's talk about all of australia's great acheivements like..........ummm............well.........
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6563
How about not employing Nazis?  Taking on the Japanese single handed, as well as holding El Alamein?  Or creating a gun which comes with a coded ring, so that unauthorised users can't fire?

Regardless, it's irrelevant.

Edit:  Before anyone else notices, my reference to El Alamein should in fact be a reference to Tobruk.  Thanks go to Vilham for pointing that out.

Last edited by Bubbalo (2006-07-29 08:11:30)

herrr_smity
+156|6629|space command ur anus
cant we all just get along
Knifey McStabstab
Don't lock my topic!
+32|6510|Indiana

orac07 wrote:

You only entered into Europe because you saw
a  geo political benefit  in it.
QFT

America entered the war because it saw this as an oppotunity to rise to world power and so it could get a share of the spoils (Germany...)

Also, there's how we "helped" Sudan, Rwanda, the Cote d'Ivoire, the Congo...Africa.
How we "helped" fight Pol Pot (possibly one of the most aggresive genocidist ever)
Oh, wait the funding of the Sandinistas, terrorists, and other ultra-violet groups to help overthrow our enemies.

So basically America is great if you can benefit it, but if not, you're fucked.

And that's coming from an American
semerkhet83
+1|6502|Four Marks, UK
ok, time for something a bit more positive.  first up, im british, and i am thankful for the help in various wars, our nations do seem to work well tegether. secondly, british troops defended the colonies from the french before the indipendance war, and it was us taxing yor for this that pissed off the colonists and convinced them to get rid of us.  so we've both helped each other over the years and annoyed each other (strangly very similar to the relationship between brothers).

anyway, stuff i love about america inc:the simpsons, their film industry, their sitcoms (im watching home improvements right now), HUGE sandwidges, various games developers, basketball, nascar and the IRL and muscle cars.

if your american, feel proud about these things, if not...then ask yourself how much of the things in your life is from there.

bit of luck britain didnt just leave the colonies to france, or you'd all be speaking french...possibly.
xXSarnathXx
Decepticons forever!
+25|6610|Sweden
its the bossy attitude people dont like, like the writer of this thread elegantly shows off here, that crappy attitude is whats gettin on peoples nerves.

who cares? why does it always seem to be competition? after all its not to strange that you def Europe since ur roots are here. ur country aint all that old yet. were from the same dirt.

and wtf is up with constantly bringin up the nazis and americas liberation of europe? its flippin old news. shudnt u be kissin frances arse for dealin with the brits for ya? i dont see the french moaning like u do
Capt.CupoNoodles
+18|6768|Southampton, PA
IMHO,
Bring 'em all back.
Close the fricking borders.
Assist those who have assisted us in the past, and actually ASK for it.
Consider working on your home country's problems before looking to "help" others.
Forget about trying to help those who don't want to be helped.
Have pride in your country, and don't ass-u-me that the stereotype you hear is correct; ass-u-me it's NOT until you're proven otherwise.
Intelligence over emotion.
Like it or not, we're all in this together.

'Nuff said.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard