GK_Jonezer
+0|6760|Seattle
Well I've looked through several pages of ranting and didn't see this obvious one recently so I would like to bring it up again...

It began way back in the hallowed days of the Big One, WWII - El Alamein. British pilots learned that there was only one AA gun guarding the German main base. Once this weapon was taken out - one could pretty much lay waste to the helpless pilots running like crazed ants trying to find shelter. Yes someone could (and should!) have gotten on a vehicle mounted MG and helped - but usually would just drive off in whatever vehicle they got their mitts on.

The real issue was everyone wanted the damn plane and noone wanted to run all the way to some distant AA weapon and do his unsung duty. Did Ben Affleck get the girl by jumping on an AA gun in Pearl Harbor? No he ran heroically for the plane just like every other player shooting his Tommy gun like an idiot towards the sky.

The worst part of getting on the AA was that your less honorable teammates got rewarded by your sacrifice as they taxied down the runway with scarely a nod in your direction. Then you were at the airbase thinking "hmm...  wow there's nothing to shoot at or fly anymore... hmm should I leave? Its a long walk back uh.... hmmmmmm. Here comes one! oh no its friendly...  why did I get on this AA gun again? I guess I'll leave now what's that noise? Oh Sh#T"... BOOOOOM!!!

Cut to Vietnam and base raping took on a new dimension with the hated MI-8 that carried a load of paratroopers eager to bail out at a moment's notice and steal America's only true defense at the time - the Huey gunship. Ah the swearing and outright frustration elevated us to new levels of ranting which Dice actually heard and acted on!

They put quad 50 cal guns at the bases - right in the middle of the bases - which of course made them great for snipers looking for an ez kill from the gunner's exposed and fairly stationary melon. Their armor was about nil and soon VC pilots could actually take them out from far far away with a couple  rockets - almost as easily as swatting a stoned fly on a marijuana plant.

Fast forward to the present day and the base raping situation is almost worse then ever. Yes this is a team game but who in their right minds uses the AA at it's current state (unless your a sicko like me going for his air defense medal and trying to raise up his team-killing from errant missile fire).

So long story short - DICE, EA (whoever makes these decisions) we need more vulcan defense or mobile AA that can take some abuse (more then one, positioned closer to the aircraft spawns) and players need to be credited and rewarded appropriately for using them. Not just some trinket badge.

AA should have radar to even things up just a tad.

Also there needs to be more incentive for pilots to shoot down enemy jets - I honestly ignore them often as they are only worth two points (the toughest 2 in the game).  The true hero of a Daging Oilfields map is the guy in the fighter who dogged the incredibly devastating bomber the whole game - yet never got credit for it.

Oh yeah the whole TKing for planes and spawning system is crazy as well - we need some kind of order to this - maybe some kind of queuing system. 

My friends get so pissed off by the raping and other flaws (damn is this a gun battle or a gymnastics event?) that they often just disconnect from the game. They will presently not buy the expansion pack and don't play much anymore.  One of my buddies was going to house sit for a friend with no internet, he packed up his computer for the weekend hoping to polish up on his flying skills - only to discover you can't even play single player if your not online. Needless to say he was irate (nothing on the packaging says internet connection required to even play).

Thats my two cents - other then that thanks for this great game and some great memories.
Tigg@lot
noob on tour
+1|6790|NRW,Germany
AMEN!

GK_Jonezer wrote:

One of my buddies was going to house sit for a friend with no internet, he packed up his computer for the weekend hoping to polish up on his flying skills - only to discover you can't even play single player if your not online. Needless to say he was irate (nothing on the packaging says internet connection required to even play).
You don´t need an internet connection to play. You just need to create a second account for offline playing.
LeGrandAssidomaen
Paper Is My Hobbyhorse
+1|6823
Yeah, and the anti-air stuff works alright, I think...it just demands more practice than for most others weapons.
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6787|AUS, Canberra
i kind of agree with you but i think its funny you said "So long story short" after six paragraphs!!!
Flasheart88
+0|6776|Brisbane
Jonezer brings up a good point - perhaps the plane kill should be worth more than the individual grunt. I mean, other highly combat effective vehicles like Tanks and Attack choppers all fit into the 'rock-paper-scissors' rule of computer games - they all have their weaknesses (vs AT mines and Planes/mounted machine guns, respectively) but fighter planes don't.

It's like they're the apex predator with no natural enemies.

Yes, yes, I'm sure there are many pwnzor plane killers here on the forum who find killing planes as easy as scratching their arses, blah blah blah, but for us mere mortals, taking out that plane that's terrorising our ground forces is a major pain in the arse, particularly if the pilot is skilled at evasion and gun-strafing.

And after you've finally shot the bugger down, in the process having sacrificed our own pilot (AA TK) and a few other grunts perhaps, all you get is 2 measely points. Doesn't really seem enough to me.

Either that, or as has been mentioned multiple times, make the AA more dangerous. At least, make the AA's guaranteed not to hit friendlies, even if they're still in such short supply.
Yellow 13
+2|6750|Plano Texas
Yes im sure everyone is going to get up and quit because their AA guns don't work.
Tigg@lot
noob on tour
+1|6790|NRW,Germany

LeGrandAssidomaen wrote:

Yeah, and the anti-air stuff works alright, I think...it just demands more practice than for most others weapons.
You can practise as much as you want. If a plane strafes the AA guns of the Essex you also can blow yourself up as you have absolutely no chance to bring it down with the vulcan while he doesn´t break a sweat.
mikeshw
Radioactive Glo
+130|6854|A Small Isle in the Tropics

GK_Jonezer wrote:

Did Ben Affleck get the girl by jumping on an AA gun in Pearl Harbor? No he ran heroically for the plane just like every other player shooting his Tommy gun like an idiot towards the sky.
I really like this line!

Cut to Vietnam and base raping took on a new dimension with the hated MI-8 that carried a load of paratroopers eager to bail out at a moment's notice and steal America's only true defense at the time - the Huey gunship.
Guess what, there are passenger carrying Hinds in BF2:SF and you can do what you describe by flying to the AH64 base. Game over.

Fast forward to the present day and the base raping situation is almost worse then ever. Yes this is a team game but who in their right minds uses the AA at it's current state (unless your a sicko like me going for his air defense medal and trying to raise up his team-killing from errant missile fire).

So long story short - DICE, EA (whoever makes these decisions) we need more vulcan defense or mobile AA that can take some abuse (more then one, positioned closer to the aircraft spawns) and players need to be credited and rewarded appropriately for using them. Not just some trinket badge.
Been arguing for mobile stingers. Hit and run type. I lost count the number of times I got killed spawning at uncap-able flags by base rapists in attack heli and jets on bomb runs.

Oh yeah the whole TKing for planes and spawning system is crazy as well - we need some kind of order to this - maybe some kind of queuing system.
They should just go buy a flight simulator, and they get to hog the plane all the time.

My friends get so pissed off by the raping and other flaws (damn is this a gun battle or a gymnastics event?) that they often just disconnect from the game. They will presently not buy the expansion pack and don't play much anymore.  One of my buddies was going to house sit for a friend with no internet, he packed up his computer for the weekend hoping to polish up on his flying skills - only to discover you can't even play single player if your not online. Needless to say he was irate (nothing on the packaging says internet connection required to even play).

Thats my two cents - other then that thanks for this great game and some great memories.
I see a heli base raping, I simply quit the server. To hell with that round, just aint worth my time. I had so much pleasure on 64p Ops Clean Sweep taking out the MEC jet and the pilots who keep trying to get to the plane. This the second MEC airstrip on the south, and since it is not an uncap-able flag (there is another at the north compound), I simply waste them from the embankment cos they were jet boming the USMC uncap flag. They were so intent at spawning in some kit other than anti-tank to keep getting into the jet instead of taking my APC out.

indeed.. it is a great game.. some good memories..and some-not-so-good memories.

edit:I m pretty sure you can play without online connection. I have been doing that. And if you want to practice jet on large scale map, i understand you just need to set your machine up as a local server or something. Read it somewhere on the forums, very early article.

Last edited by mikeshw (2005-11-22 20:32:16)

thinner44
+1|6826
I agree with all of the above, I also strongly agree with mikeshw "I see a heli base raping, I simply quit the server. To hell with that round, just aint worth my time". I won't waste my time if I'm being bombed relentlessly and there's absolutely 'no way out'... I just quit and go elsewhere. It's just not worth the frustration or rise in blood pressure

I played Kubra dam yesterday... some fairly new pilots which kept the game flowing and at an even keel, I even got a chance to fly and got my basic aviator badge . It was a great round, plenty of folk on the ground and a very enjoyable game.
So it does just depend on, where you are and who's with you.... If you don't like it, you have the power to change and I don't think anything of changing servers to find an enjoyable game, it is after all, just for fun

I think on the 'plane' issue, perhaps if pilots had to land and physically 're-fuel', there wouldn't be so much of a rush to get them . It's just a thought (no points for a re-fuel, just a load of tiger tokens )

Edit: do you think I put enough smileys in this post... oh go on, here's another

Last edited by thinner44 (2005-11-23 01:18:52)

mikeshw
Radioactive Glo
+130|6854|A Small Isle in the Tropics

thinner44 wrote:

I think on the 'plane' issue, perhaps if pilots had to land and physically 're-fuel', there wouldn't be so much of a rush to get them . It's just a thought (no points for a re-fuel, just a load of tiger tokens )
I suggested elsewhere in the forums that the airfield would lose automatic repair and resupply if the flag closes to it is captured. This places incentive on the team to defend it (and if they think someone is jet whoring, they can leave it undefended to teach that player a lesson ), or else they lose air superiority. It is like the flags with tanks and air defence. You lose that flag, you lose the right to drive them.

Edit: do you think I put enough smileys in this post... oh go on, here's another
and yes, that's quite enough smileys, thank you very much
thinner44
+1|6826

mikeshw wrote:

I suggested elsewhere in the forums that the airfield would lose automatic repair and resupply if the flag closes to it is captured. This places incentive on the team to defend it (and if they think someone is jet whoring, they can leave it undefended to teach that player a lesson ), or else they lose air superiority. It is like the flags with tanks and air defence. You lose that flag, you lose the right to drive them.

and yes, that's quite enough smileys, thank you very much
Sorry mikeshw, I hadn't seen that post....But your idea is excellent. It's perfectly reasonable to us that, if you lose your base, you lose the right to use the vehicles... although some of the SOB's that live near me would disagree.

.... smiley has been sent packing. (just had to sneak that one in)
ayb
+0|6771|Orlando, FL
lose customers? did you not already purchase the game? and being this isn't an mmo ea/dice already have your money. so </crying> and if you feel so strongly about it boycott the next game.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard