jnick
+22|6797
I for one am totally for this expansion (If you want to know why, check my post @ totalbf2 SF forum). With that being said, I'm amazed there weren't any SERIOUS discussions here. Yes I know there's 5 threads floating around, all but one were pointless. So here is a SERIOUS SF thread. I will make a few premises on the expansion, and have a fwe questions for Chuy as well. So, lets get this release party STARTED! :p

The map Iron Gator looks sweet. All the control points (but 1 on 64p size) are on he US carrier. The bay inside the ship has some NICE damn cover for some GOOD battled. Reminds me of Coral Sea a bit . . . THAT was a great map .

http://www.7thregiment.us/ABRstats/index.php?page=Medal

Browse that. All categories. Some of the medals for SF and the Airborne ribbon seems to be wrong. Otherwise, the physical awards look right, not sure about the requirements. Don't even bother in their ranks section. That's totally fubared.

Questions:

1. We know stats will be interweeved, but for kit combat badges, do you think curent time will count? It would blow HARD if you had to start your kit time from zero AGAIN.

2. Are there any NEW ranks? If there are, would they be WAY up at 200,000+ or would it fill in the gaps betwween 50,000 + or between 20,000 and 50,000.

3. @ Chuy - Yeah, I know I'm early, but what do you think the ETA would be on the new reqs. for the new awards. (Like I said I know I'm way ealry, but just wondering what you have in mind)

4. @ Chuy - How do you think the new stats wil interweave on the site? WIll you need new tables, or has EA made it possible to simply add the new stats to your current feed? Or will it be something like in BFHQ - A seperate page for SF stats? Same goes for awards. Are they simply tacked right on the current table, or will there be a new table/page for them?

That's all I have for now. Feel free to add questions, comments, concerned. However, DO NOT THREAD CRAP! If you're against SF, fine, but let it be known in ANOTHER thread . . . not this one. This is a SERIOUS discussion. Rant some place else.
Pig_Fooker
+1|6752|Temecula, CA
Good questions. My thoughts...

Q#1,2, & 3.  I don't think anything will change.  I doubt the kit modifications will merit any new challenges.  If they do add new "awards" globally, I think that they will be things you could acheive in BF2 without the expansion and only designed to make more people feel warm and fuzzy.  Who doesn't feel warm and fuzzy when you hear "You've been recommended for an award."

Q#4. I think if EA was proactive they would have released the new table structure/schema to popular stat sites.  As you know it is easier to add columns opposed to create relationships to new table.  They are going to make this as slip streamed as possible.  If you don't have BF2 : Special Forces, they are going to want you to see the stats you "could" be getting if you reached into your pocket.

My questions....
1.  I've heard that BF2 SF was a seperate team from the BF2 patch team.  If I've heard right, which team is better?  Will they rejoin forces to debug and fix current issues?

2.  After all the publicity from this game in its entirety, will EA allow the BF2 developers act as a seperate entity and answer public suggestions on game improvement?  Make their own deadlines?

3.  Would it be a chore to integrate the SF expansion and maps into standard BF2 games?  It would be a serious advantage but a hell of a way to push the product.  Kind of a silly question.

4.  Will the battle recorder work for once?  I haven't been able to download a single file for playback, if someone knows a few servers that do actually work please let me know.

5.  Last question for Chuy, will it rain tomorrow?
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6789|Noizyland

Yeah, I'm looking forward to playing BF:SF. It looks really awesome. I will still play BF2 though.

God dammit I really want a computer! I love these games and I want to be able to play them more then three hours, (if I'm lucky,) a week. Does anyone have  a spare 1K they could give me, or 2K New Zealand?
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Cronjob
+1|6753|Broomfield, Colorado
If there are going to be new classes/weapons, they almost HAVE to have new ranks. There are enough "unlock available" ranks right now so that by the time you near the top rank, you have every unlockable weapon. Clearly they want you to be able to eventually have all the weapons at your disposal. If they introduce new weapons and a lot of people are already past all of the "unlockable weapons" ranks - they're going to be stuck with only the old weapons and no new weapons to play with (no new unlockables that is).

So, I suspect they will work something in there either with new ranks or new something or other to allow more unlockables.

Funny, I went out to get dinner at 10PM tonight and the Gamestop and both Walmarts had peopel CAMPING OUTSIDE waiting for the XBOX release (which happens here in nine minutes). Too bad I decided I wanted a new gaming machine and BF2 (and my 30" ACD) and canceled my 360 package last week. That wouldn't have been $1,000 well-spent. Heh.
Pig_Fooker
+1|6752|Temecula, CA
I regress to Cronjob, Maybe EA will add a third upgrade but I'm only assuming that they will just replace the upgrades for people that only own SF, this makes an easier data change on EA's behave.  If I were designing it, I would take the easier route also.  I guess we all find out tomorrow, now let us pray..........................
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6858|Bryan/College Station, TX
Well since there are no posts on maps yet let me add this link:

http://www.bf-games.net/index.php?actio … &id=67

Here is a non-english site that has all the new maps from BF2:SF on it.

Very interesting maps that I am eager to try out. I can already see some of the strategies I plan on giving a shot.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6856|Cologne, Germany

for more info on ranks, your account and unlocks in the expansion, check this interview:

http://forum.eagames.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=9210

Personally, I'll be looking forward to having some great infantry fighting. Less vehicles, more ground troops I say....
section9
+9|6862|USA
Is it in stores yet? or do you have to download ? if you purchase the download do they send you a disc as well?
McCullough
+7|6853
I think it's released to day in the US. Here in Sweden we'll have to wait  two more days though.

Two things in SF that i've wanted in BF  for a loong time. 1. Night maps  2. The RPG, a good old-fashioned rocket/grenade launcher without any user guiding system. Can't wait for that one
CreepingDeath
+1|6759
3 hours more . .. i cant wait ..It looks sweeet. . . .
section9
+9|6862|USA
no stores in my area have it yet......
superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6796

little disappointed.  not much change.  the atv's and jet skis are really not very maneuverable.  the multi wheel, multi machine gun buggy thing is stupid...poor range of motion on guns.  the pickup is much better in this regard.

not a big fan of nightvision.  i got a nice color monitor to play in color not in green and white all the time.  don't see why its so cool to see everything at poor resolution in green and white.  oh well...

only nice thing is that we get some new voices for the armies.

good integration with bfhq.  you can cycle through all the different armies and see what they got.

one really nice thing is the american assault kit which now has rifle with laser scope.  fires pretty nicely but haven't tested it out in combat yet.

not many servers up yet so single player for now.  from what i see it is heaven for infantry.  lots of footsoldier friendly maps.  and now that assault and at have grapling hooks, you'll have to look out for those classes...ample opportunities to camp.  zip line seems kinda useless since you can only go down on it.  makes sense when you have to cross water but you need to coordinate with grapling hook guys to get to high ground.

pissed about patch 1.12.  just installed the game and already i need a patch.  think they maybe could have released patch yesterday so i don' t have to download 280mb at 5kb/s with the rest of BF2 nation?
McCullough
+7|6853

superfly_cox wrote:

little disappointed.  not much change.  the atv's and jet skis are really not very maneuverable.  the multi wheel, multi machine gun buggy thing is stupid...poor range of motion on guns.  the pickup is much better in this regard.

not a big fan of nightvision.  i got a nice color monitor to play in color not in green and white all the time.  don't see why its so cool to see everything at poor resolution in green and white.  oh well...

only nice thing is that we get some new voices for the armies.

good integration with bfhq.  you can cycle through all the different armies and see what they got.

one really nice thing is the american assault kit which now has rifle with laser scope.  fires pretty nicely but haven't tested it out in combat yet.

not many servers up yet so single player for now.  from what i see it is heaven for infantry.  lots of footsoldier friendly maps.  and now that assault and at have grapling hooks, you'll have to look out for those classes...ample opportunities to camp.  zip line seems kinda useless since you can only go down on it.  makes sense when you have to cross water but you need to coordinate with grapling hook guys to get to high ground.

pissed about patch 1.12.  just installed the game and already i need a patch.  think they maybe could have released patch yesterday so i don' t have to download 280mb at 5kb/s with the rest of BF2 nation?
What about the new awards?
section9
+9|6862|USA
that new assult rifle kicks ass......
superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6796

one bad thing is that MEC Special Forces, Rebels, Insurgents and Russians all got basically the same weapons as the original MEC army.  Brits/SAS got new weapons.  The Spec Ops and Medics come with G36E as stock weapon which is basically the g36c but it has 3 bullet burst mode...i like it.  SAS also has mp7 for engineers which is small weak ass machine gun with only 20 bullet...wtf!  There's a funky Support rifle for SAS which kinda looks like g36 but bigger and can fire in burst mode.  Assault rifle for SAS assult looks even wierder and has a decent scope but i don't like the way it shoots.  None of the sniper rifles are different.

Grappling hooks for assault and anti tank.  Zipline for Spec Ops and Sniper.  You only get to use this feature once per player.  Tear Gas for Support which fires like grenade launcher.  No change for Engineer or Medic in special abilities.  Everybody gets night vision (press 7) or gas mask (press 8).  And assult now has flash grenades.  Blind you in normal vision...blind you alot if in night vision.

As I mentioned before the new vehicles are disappointing.  The ski jets go pretty fast but are not too mobile.  Haven't tried any new tanks or air vehicles yet...

don't know anything about new awards...

PATCH 1.12 is so f...king dissapointing...why couldn't they release this before launch date?
superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6796

one more thing, if you are downloading 1.12 get it from fileplanet or fileshack.  the ea servers are extremely slow...
Dopin_Nuts
+1|6768
umm...i just bought sf and i dont have the map iron gator
misfire00
Lead Magnet
+26|6796|Charleston SC - USA

Dopin_Nuts wrote:

umm...i just bought sf and i dont have the map iron gator
Maybe it's not on Spec Ops single player  just like BF2 SP doesn't have Mashtur City.
Prodie
Moderator Emeritus
+270|6789|Nova Scotia, Canada

Personally, what I think EA should do is let us rechoose our unlocks. If there's a second unlock, it would make sense. Most of us after the patch got like 3 promotions, so 3 new unlocks which you most likely picked right away. If we knew that there was an expansion pack coming out with new unlocks, we would have saved them, as you probably don't like/want some of the new unlocks you have, you just picked them because there was no sense in saving an unlock. Ya know?
audioboxer217
+0|6775
Iron Gator is a MP only map, just like Kubra Dam.

I'm getting my copy today, I can't wait.  I am really excited to see all the new ranks, badges, and ribbons. (even though I have just gotten started on the ones from the original.)
superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6796

anti tank kits for rebels and insurgents have RPG.  AWESOME.  You shoot fast without even having to aim...look out armor.  i can see this becoming the new noobtube for SF.  can kill infantry and tanks with it!

bp3 which is like an apv but has tank weapons (cannon + machine gun) sucks.  cannon has major kickback, movement is worse than tank and it has lightest armor of any armored vehicle.  don't recommend using it...
ArkAng37
+1|6860|San Antonio, TX
This is for those who may have it or know for sure. When we get the special forces badge like the SF anti tank and all does that show up nex to the badges we already have? Or is the badge slate cleaned off and we start over again?
CBRad929
+1|6799
Based on other threads, "it sounds like" you can get the second tier unlock by merely having the first tier unlock already available.

This makes sense in the fact that it would keep them from having to redo all the ranks *again* yet not making it totally impossible for current players to get.

I am a bit dissapointed that all kits do not have a new weapon.

I am concerned about battles in CQC (ie carrier) with current noob tubers/nade spammers/c4'ers.  Wouldnt take a whole lot for this to become a spam fest.

I am concerned regarding the fact that fix existing problem patches dont seem to be coming out (focus was on port to consoles or in the SF expansion, not to fix current bugs ie name color, AA, explosives not showing up correctly, ect)

I am a bit upset that expansion weapons will be available to vanilla BF2 servers.  Keep expansion weapons in expansion games.  Basically it forces you to keep up with the Jones to stay competitive.

I think I will wait a few days/weeks to see how things go before I consider buying it.
Adonlude
+2|6794
Here is a special super fast place to get patch right now:

http://i2.divo.net/tmp/bf2_patch_112.exe
ApathyCrusade
+0|6756
I bought it in stores and it said it was patching when installed... do I have to patch it again? There aren't any servers showing up so I'm kinda concerned.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard