PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6525|Portland, OR USA
I'm not sure this will be possible, but it's worth a shot ... it fascinates me too much.

So, space travel.  Why should we do it?  Why shouldn't we?  Is it worth the cost?  What's the best of what we've done the worst of what we've done, and what should we do next?

The end all be all Science Non-Fiction thread ... but can you maintain it ...
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714
well we want to space travel because we humans always want to explore beyond what we know, like how europeans set on ships and went to discover new land. but about antimatter... its expensive to create and we cant use it as an energy source right now, there is nothing to power it
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
I was hoping to be a bit more forward thinking than what we're capable of at the moment I suppose.

So you see space travel and exploration as simply to satiate a curiosity and nothing else?

Actually, I think anti-matter is an ideal future energy source for propulsion.  I agree that it is not feasible at the moment as it's far too expensive and energy reliant to create, which defeats the purpose.  Well, it defeats the purpose of terrestrial energy.  However, due to the potential energy output/weight ratio, it's still an ideal fuel for inter-planetary travel where you need to carry fuel with you.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6527|Global Command
I see space travel as mandatory for humans to survive.
We all should thank the U.S. space program for the tech used to build these desktop computers.
The spinoff technology makes the endevor worthwhile if nothing else does.

Last edited by Alexanderthegrape (2006-07-23 22:27:01)

ToXiC888
Cal players > BF2s
+40|6583|Columbus,Ohio-THE Ohio State U
Einstein theorized that reaching the speed of light was possible.  That will be the only means of efficient space travel.  And creating anti-matter is possible, but takes more energy to create it, then would be created reacting it with matter, so for now at least, stick with Nuclear power, its much more efficient.
ATG
Banned
Anybody heard of the Mobius Continuum? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moebius_Strip

This theory, or something like it is what is required to travel through space.

Basically describing a way to "surf the wormholes" for interdimensional space travel.

Last edited by Alexanderthegrape (2006-07-23 22:35:49)

AlbertWesker[RE]
Not Human Anymore
+144|6642|Seattle, WA

ToXiC888 wrote:

so for now at least, stick with Nuclear power, its much more efficient.
Yes, we would, if we could, if people would stop whining about 3 Mile Island, Cherynobyl, etc, Nuclear is safe, and VERY EFFECTIVE, however beauracrats delay the process.  Did you know that if we built all the reactors that were scheduled to be built before the Three Mile Island incident, Today we would be importing 70% less oil from the Middle East.  WOW.
{DsM}SongofWar[BoC]
+19|6839|Toronto, Canada
We need to get off this planet, since humanity can't survive here forever. I think we should establish a lunar colony. We have the technology to do great things, and we should do them. One of these days, one of the "near miss" asteroids we keep hearing about is going to take a wrong turn at mars and we are all going to be in for a bad day.

That is, if we don't destroy the planet ourselves first.

I am a firm believer that humanity is capable of great things, if only we would stop bickering for DUMBASS reasons.

ps: Nuclear is EXTREMELY SAFE. Its just that when a reactor has a malfunction its REALLY bad. Compared to a couple of nuclear disasters we all know about, how many people have died mining coal over the last couple of centuries? Or what about oil rig workers? Not a safe job.  And don't forget power plant fires are relatively common in the world of "fossil fuels"

And before you start questioning my opinions, know that I live in the "footprint" of a nuclear power station.
Hawk390
+27|6642|Melbourne, Australia
SInce humanity now has the tech, all we need is the drive to get us into space. Course, with todays politics, that could take a while or a VERY stubborn leader of some country. We have manipulated the world to our whims, what is there to stop us from doing it to the cosmos? Speed of light, PAH! theres always a loophole somewhere, or maybe a wormhole...

NUCLEAR POWER FTW! Stupid freakin greens here in aus keep stopping the nuclear power inquiry. Them bloody greens, NO-ONE VOTES FOR YOU! FOOLS!

And remember the Russians, if it wasnt for them, america would have never gotten into space in the time they did. Good ol' mother russia, always doing the right thing.

FOR THE SOVIET UNION, AND FOR YOUR GLORIOUS MOTHERLAND, KILL THE GERMANS! *sorry, bit  of COD2 breaking through there. God i love the russian campaign!*
schakl
+21|6687
Travel through space would need a new technology which doesn't exist yet or ever.

Because if you can use the full energy of matter (like in matter/antimatter annihilation) you would need
half of your spaceship to accelerate at 1/4 light speed and the other half to break again.
With that speed you will need at least 16 years to travel to the next (quite boring) star. If you want to come back again it would need 32 years. Also near light speed time will change (sorry, don't know the exact formulae) but earth will be much older than you.

So, no chance currently, but maybe wormholes or warpdrives really exist.

But a trip to Mars may become possible, but makes no real sense (too cold, almost no atmosphere). Maybe we can send some bacteria to Venus to convert the CO2 to O2 and cool it down.

Hawk
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6683|United States of America

ToXiC888 wrote:

Einstein theorized that reaching the speed of light was possible.  That will be the only means of efficient space travel.
That would be the most efficient method of space travel, despite the fact that we still measure stars with LIGHT-YEARS it would take some doing to get to the destination.
{DsM}SongofWar[BoC]
+19|6839|Toronto, Canada
Put some colonists in stasis pods, put a bunch of them on a ship, and fire them off in random directions

Seriously though, we should explore and colonize our solar system, learn what we can about long term life in space, try out new technology, etc., and eventually send a manned mission outside the solar system (it'll probably be a one way trip, but I know for a fact there are enough curious and qualified people out there who would volunteer for such a thing).
ATG
Banned
word
  Debate and Serious Talk
Stop trying to derail what is a serious topic or you will get in trouble.
tvmissleman
The Cereal Killer
+201|6656| United States of America

^KoB^Buckles wrote:

We go, noobs must stay!
only the best may leave to set up a BF Community of awesome power and scope.
Actually, the n00bs can come and be our slaves, doing our work for us so we can concentrate on lplaying.
and maybe if they're good they can play a quick round of singleplayer before bed

N00b Powered Space Craft are the way forward!!
dont be dumb
Buckles
Cheeky Keen
+329|6554|Kent, UK
well, i was kinda being half serious
but i think that the concept of FTLT (Faster Than Light Travel) is theoretically impossible because we all know that the closer to LS you get, the slower time occurs for the object mass travelling. So once you hit LS, time will stop and you'll straight away experience the end of the universe.
then again i'm not an astro physicist so i bet 10 or 15 people are gunna tell me i'm talking out my (_Y_)

And on the Antimatter energy front, i think i read that once past a certain point/mass of antimatter, the matter/antimatter reaction can become self sustaining because more energy is released by the reaction than it takes to create the antimatter in the first place?
=Karma-Kills=
"Don't post while intoxicated."
+356|6582|England

{DsM}SongofWar[BoC] wrote:

We need to get off this planet, since humanity can't survive here forever. I think we should establish a lunar colony. We have the technology to do great things, and we should do them. One of these days, one of the "near miss" asteroids we keep hearing about is going to take a wrong turn at mars and we are all going to be in for a bad day.

That is, if we don't destroy the planet ourselves first.

I am a firm believer that humanity is capable of great things, if only we would stop bickering for DUMBASS reasons.

ps: Nuclear is EXTREMELY SAFE. Its just that when a reactor has a malfunction its REALLY bad. Compared to a couple of nuclear disasters we all know about, how many people have died mining coal over the last couple of centuries? Or what about oil rig workers? Not a safe job.  And don't forget power plant fires are relatively common in the world of "fossil fuels"

And before you start questioning my opinions, know that I live in the "footprint" of a nuclear power station.
Its creepy, becuase i could not agree with you more.... nice post! +1
TheDarkRaven
ATG's First Disciple
+263|6622|Birmingham, UK

PuckMercury wrote:

I'm not sure this will be possible, but it's worth a shot ... it fascinates me too much.

So, space travel.  Why should we do it?  Why shouldn't we?  Is it worth the cost?  What's the best of what we've done the worst of what we've done, and what should we do next?

The end all be all Science Non-Fiction thread ... but can you maintain it ...
"Why should we do it?" - 'Because it's there.'

"Why shouldn't we?" - 'No reason.'

"Is it worth the cost?" - If life were perfect, there'd be no cost. You should not attach a price to being human.

"What's the best of what we've done the worst of what we've done, and what should we do next?" - A question for each person to answer. Myself, 1. Taking into account other peoples wishes before acting. 2. Willingly admitting the death of individuals. 3. Scrap the totalitarian capitalist world into which we are rapidly racing for, blind to the possible and likely outcomes.

I don't intend anyone to care about what I say, or to agree, I write because I can.
ATG
Banned

Richard2000 wrote:

i have just got to say it
beam me up scotty
warp factor 10
This post should be reported as spam.

Last edited by Alexanderthegrape (2006-07-24 08:56:39)

Kaosdad
Whisky Tango Foxtrot?
+201|6677|Broadlands, VA
When talking about space travel, folks always focus on propulsion.  There is another, equally important problem:  space junk.  Not only "human debris" but just small chunks of rock floating out there naturally.  Ever wonder what that big dish was on the Enterprise?  It was a shield emitter that cleared crap out of the way of the ship.  As Roddenberry put it; "At warp speed, something the size of a pebble would rip a hole in the Entrprise saucer big enough to drive a truck through."
ATG
Banned
That, and for a zillion other reasons, is why we must look at wormhole creation or use, as the way to travel through space.
It sounds crazy, I know.   Edgar Casey claimed to use interdimensional passages to do his work.
Kaosdad
Whisky Tango Foxtrot?
+201|6677|Broadlands, VA

Alexanderthegrape wrote:

Edgar Casey claimed to use interdimensional passages to do his work.
Over a couple of beers - I'll tell you about my run-in with THOSE folks.  It would seriously derail this thread!
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6768|AUS, Canberra
might as well do it, what the fuck else are we gona do?
ATG
Banned

Kaosdad008 wrote:

Alexanderthegrape wrote:

Edgar Casey claimed to use interdimensional passages to do his work.
Over a couple of beers - I'll tell you about my run-in with THOSE folks.  It would seriously derail this thread!
I was planning a Casey thread sometime. Lets not ruin this one with it.
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42

Kaosdad008 wrote:

When talking about space travel, folks always focus on propulsion.  There is another, equally important problem:  space junk.  Not only "human debris" but just small chunks of rock floating out there naturally.  Ever wonder what that big dish was on the Enterprise?  It was a shield emitter that cleared crap out of the way of the ship.  As Roddenberry put it; "At warp speed, something the size of a pebble would rip a hole in the Entrprise saucer big enough to drive a truck through."
a very valid point, I was not at all trying to hone in on propulsion, however it seems to be the most imminent issue.  You are exactly right that a massive shield of some sort is needed for the bits of rock and debris that are floating around this Universe.  That is to say nothing of entire planets and solar systems which become an issue the longer and faster you intend to travel.  Space charts and cartography as a whole will really need to step up to the plate to facilitate travel on so grand a scale.

That being said, I think the research with respect to energy generated from a feasible interstellar powerplant would yield energies and technology feasible for implementation in a shield or deflector of some sort.  Furthermore, we don't really know what happens to matter at that speed, it's all theory.  Matter may simply phase out of sync with objects it travels by, though I seriously doubt it.  That is probably a few quantum leaps away from the technology enabling intersteller travel.

I think our momentum stopped with Apollo.  I am not sure what mankind was expecting once we arrived at the moon, but whatever it was they didn't get it.  We arrived to find a giant burnt sphere.  As with any great scientific venture, more questions were raised than answers provided.  Rather than take the knowledge gained and stab further outward, society wailed a collective, "Aw fuck it" and gave up.  The Space Shuttle never had the momentum of any previous space program, and is now limping along well past its intended sunset date.  It has been reduced to a low orbit 18 wheeler.
JaMDuDe
+69|6775
Within 200 years, America will have gone to war and beatin every country on earth. So we will need to go to space to find new and better enemies that will give us a better fight. One problem with this is that bush is going to start a war with the aliens before we get advanced space travel.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/no … rfears.htm

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard