polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6800|Singapore

My comp died. Situation now:

when i boot up i have to choose WinXP Professional or WinXP Home edition. When i choose Home, it reboots and says:

Error in software, load needed DLLs for kernel, please contact your support personnel blah blah.

When i choose pro it loads from my 'recovery partition'.

HOW HOW HOW!!!! i can access some files on C: but i dunno where to get my desktop mp3 folders and stuff. when i open documents and settings/all users the folders aren't there but all the other stupid stuff i.e. 3dmark. ea dl, bf2 icon is all there.

HOW!!!!!!!! can i at least recover my stuff 

HEEEEELp
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6684|Colorado
you didnt make a back up ?
maybe go thru safe mode or dos, I know theres a way but I wasn't the one who did it.
sucks to loose mp3 files if you've been collecting a while, I've lost hundreds of thousands of mp3 files with the last 2 computers, I dont even try anymore.
general_rookie
Get off my lawn, whippersnapper!!
+6|6707
Worst case scenario - get a second harddrive and install windows.  Connect your messed up harddrive and access it through your new OS.  This will at least give you a chance at salvaging your data.
polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6800|Singapore

meh.. that bad?
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6538|Portland, OR USA
if you can get into windows at all, your desktop info is in documents and settings\your name\desktop

If that doesn't work, just install windows over windows and you should be able to get into the compy.  At that point you can retrieve the info you need and then blow it all away and do a proper load.

don't run on windows over windows ... it will be teh unstable.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6727

polarbearz wrote:

meh.. that bad?
yes. its lucky that its a software problem, not hardware
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
taxi2you
+22|6655|Missouri
ZAR  Zero application recovery.  Download it to a different computer and connect your HD to it as a second HD and you can find everything on there.  Even stuff that you thought you deleted.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6727
or go to sim lin square, there are some ppl might help there if you buy sumthing... just buy a new video card lol
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
FubarJonny
bUdSMoKEr
+47|6701

general_rookie wrote:

Worst case scenario - get a second harddrive and install windows.  Connect your messed up harddrive and access it through your new OS.  This will at least give you a chance at salvaging your data.
this is what i would do if my comnputer died on me.
w0ls0n
+16|6558|Maine
You should look at partitianing your hard drive if you do a new os install. I have like 4 partitians on my drive and I never lose anything unless I get a total drive failure which is pretty rare. Just make as many drives as you want. I have C for Windows, D for my generic stuff like installs, etc, and E for my MP3s.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard