InnerMonkey
+62|6717
I haven't seen a serious amount of rain in a couple months.  My grass is crunchy!  On the bright side, I've only had to mow the lawn 3 times in the past few months.  In all seriousness though, the dry spell is pretty risky due to the risk of wildfires.  I don't live in a big metro area (foothills of Smokey Mountains actually), so that sort of thing is a real concern.

To top it off, I work in the power generation industry, and we're seeing record demand on top of water that is so hot (we pull river water in for cooling), that we run the risk of having to lower generation so we don't output water that is too hot for wildlife.  At lower generation levels, we require less cooling water, ergo, we have to drop load in situations like this.  Plus, with water levels being lower, supporting hydro generation facilities aren't able to generate as much juice either.  sad times for me....

Oh, and gas is expensive....haven't seen a thread on that in a while
gburndred
tiga tiga tiga tiga tiga woods ya'll
+95|6637|Calgary,AB,Canada
37 here in calgary,alberta,canada.
Try being outside and having to mow fucking 4 acres of lawn.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6779|Great Brown North

BornToKill67 wrote:

It's not too bad here in Canada, the hottest it has been in the past few weeks is 32C. We had a heat wave back in June, it was killer and pissed me off. It musta been around 35C. I know that's not a lot too most of you people but its a lot here in Canada.
what part? according to my thermometer it hit 52C a few years ago, thats the hottest ive EVER seen weather, ever, im from new brunswick, the one in canada not the US
bigp66
+63|6547|memphfrica-memphis,TN
its A LOT hotter here in Memphis than in england......we get those kinds of temps every summer
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6564|Area 51

elite wrote:

This summer is hotter than average with a new record set for july, in the sound of britian, the water reserves have pretty much run out, in one area 75,000 people have gone with out water because its run out totaly, and its hardly raining to next year would be even worse.

windows are breaking nder the heat, trains are delayed because the lines maybe bend and break, the roads are melting so gritters for the snow have come out for summer to stop the roads from sticking to the cars, great white sharks are found in the waters off cornwal now which is very unusual.

Global warming is really kicking in here in britian!!

is it happening anywhere else or just here??
Here in the Netherlands, a few days ago we officially received our second heat wave (Dunno if that is the right english pronouncation)  But anyways its so damn warm here, last Tuesday it was in some places 37 degrees celcius! Which is pretty abnormal for the Netherlands. Damn it was hot, it still is.
PunkX
stoned
+198|6623|Canada
I got my snow suit on up here in canada eh.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715

PunkX wrote:

I got my snow suit on up here in canada eh.
:s

Last edited by cyborg_ninja-117 (2006-07-21 14:24:04)

https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
one_of_ten
+7|6655|Brussels, Belgium

PekkaA wrote:

one_of_ten wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Good old Ireland. Mild in summer, mild in winter - we never get extremes. We did get 28oC though two days ago which is pretty extreme for our delicate complexions and ginger hair....
Another reason that makes me want to move to Ireland.....
Because of ginger-haired men?
If these ginger-haired man are as friendly as the people i met in Ireland, then yes, but if i have to move to Ireland it would be for the weather, the people (including the hot womens) , their history, their food and last but not least their alcools (Guinness and Jameson FTW !!!).

Concerning the weather, last wednesday the museum of music instruments where i work as recorded 42°C at the top of the building (and certainly in a sunny place) but still, wednesday was too damn hot.
PekkaA
+36|6663|Finland

one_of_ten wrote:

their food and last but not least their alcools (Guinness and Jameson FTW !!!).
I agree about Guinness, but food? Barley porridge and lamb? With potatoes. Thank you no.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6836
Its about the same. I have seen heat waves much worse years ago.
The worst drought I ever saw was in the 1960s. When I was a kid all the News articles were on " the coming ice age "

When you say " hottest I ever saw it ! " add your age, its pertinent.

Last edited by Horseman 77 (2006-07-21 15:13:06)

rawls2
Mr. Bigglesworth
+89|6559
Weather weapons? Oh no it started. WW3!!

Just kidding
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6536|Long Island, New York
94 here the other day. Then it got really cool and was actually high 70's to low 80's. It really hasn't been ALL too bad.
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6548|Southeastern USA
I came home and saw two pine trees fighting over a dog.
Major_Spittle
Banned
+276|6654|United States of America
Yesterday it got so hot here that all the water fell out of the sky.  I almost shit myself and the person next to me.
Obiwan
Go Cards !!
+196|6693|The Ville
It's hot here in Kentucky. I've just expierenced the strongest storm I've ever seen with my eyes here. It was 6pm normally sunny. The storm made it look like it was 11:00 pm
JG1567JG
+110|6587|United States of America

Major_Spittle wrote:

elite wrote:

This summer is hotter than average with a new record set for july, in the sound of britian, the water reserves have pretty much run out, in one area 75,000 people have gone with out water because its run out totaly, and its hardly raining to next year would be even worse.

windows are breaking nder the heat, trains are delayed because the lines maybe bend and break, the roads are melting so gritters for the snow have come out for summer to stop the roads from sticking to the cars, great white sharks are found in the waters off cornwal now which is very unusual.

I hear you, here in the USA it is getting so hot that all the Samon are swimming up river into the mountains where it is cooler.  A lot of them are dying along the way, it is really crazy they just jump up through the water falls.  I have also noticed all the snow is melting on top of the mountains this summer, it is causing the streams to swell up and the reservoirs are so full they can't hold any more water and have to let it out.  Some days it gets so hot that the asphalt almost seems sticky.  Infact it got so hot up in Canada that swarms of geese all started flying up there, you could see them by the hundreds.  It is really scary shit happening out here, and the local news is not even covering it.  I hope Al Gore gets selected president soon so he can stop these things from happening.
The Salmon swim up river to the mountains every year so the can spawn and die.  The baby salmon then head to the ocean and they will return to the mountains the next summer to spawn and die. An endless cycle that is nothing new.

Last edited by JG1567JG (2006-07-21 19:36:27)

Cactusfist
Pusher of sausages Down Hallways
+26|6567

JG1567JG wrote:

Major_Spittle wrote:

elite wrote:

I hear you, here in the USA it is getting so hot that all the Samon are swimming up river into the mountains where it is cooler.  A lot of them are dying along the way, it is really crazy they just jump up through the water falls.  I have also noticed all the snow is melting on top of the mountains this summer, it is causing the streams to swell up and the reservoirs are so full they can't hold any more water and have to let it out.  Some days it gets so hot that the asphalt almost seems sticky.  Infact it got so hot up in Canada that swarms of geese all started flying up there, you could see them by the hundreds.  It is really scary shit happening out here, and the local news is not even covering it.  I hope Al Gore gets selected president soon so he can stop these things from happening.
The Salmon swim up river to the mountains every year so the can spawn and die.  The baby salmon then head to the ocean and they will return to the mountains the next summer to spawn and die. An endless cycle that is nothing new.
El-oh-freakin-el

FEESH AR SWEEEMING! did you compleetly miss it every year before this one?
Major_Spittle
Banned
+276|6654|United States of America

Cactusfist wrote:

JG1567JG wrote:

Major_Spittle wrote:

El-oh-freakin-el

FEESH AR SWEEEMING! did you compleetly miss it every year before this one?
yeh, but this year it is hot and they are doing it.  Pretty clear prof of global warming.  I bet in a few months the leaves will just dry up on the trees and fall off because it is so hot.  We need an electric car to fix this whole global warming thing, and quick!!!!

Last edited by Major_Spittle (2006-07-21 22:30:47)

ATG
Banned
+5,233|6528|Global Command
Cycles peeps. Cycles.
Sh1fty2k5
MacSwedish
+113|6709|Sweden
35-40C here in southern sweden right now. Yesterday when i was taking a drive my indoor thermometer showed 65C! Black cars sucks!
Canadianinvasion
.:The D€S€RŦ ]V[ǾŲ∩Ŧ€€:.
+6|6643|Behind you with my knife
113 in California...Its not only hot, but humid too (the bad humid that doesnt rain).
revolution.inc
Pass
+35|6770|Phoenix, Az
weak!!
It's fucking reaching 116 here in the desert phx.
Rosse_modest
+76|6775|Antwerp, Flanders

Sh1fty2k5 wrote:

35-40C here in southern sweden right now. Yesterday when i was taking a drive my indoor thermometer showed 65C! Black cars sucks!
So the inside of your car is 65 C because your car is black? Dark colors become hot faster than light colors, but eventually light colors become hotter than their dark counterparts. If I go out in a black t-shirt in this weather it would immediately become hot, but I'm wearing a yellow t-shirt. If I'd go out then the yellow one might seem a better idea at first but eventually it will become more uncomfortable than the black one.
Also, the suns rays can penetrate your glass windows and are absorbed by the objects inside the car, which in turn emit the energy as heat which can't penetrate the glass windows causing a greenhouse effect.
BVC
+325|6694

*TS*tphai wrote:

Pubic wrote:

Its bloody cold here at the moment!  Between 0 & 10C most days, some don't seem to get above 3 or 4, yet we had one week of sun and warmth in the middle of winter!  The weather has been crazy the past few years, it seems like the seasons are coming earlier and earlier...
are you kidding ????
Then, no.  Now its T-shirt weather and clear blue skies...in the middle of winter...
ericcartmanisbest
+24|6539|GREAT Britain
you think thats bad, its 42 to 45 degrees something like 110 or more farenheit in california right now, im frikkin sweating buckets, im english and just moved here, so im totally not used to this, ugh! too hot!!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard