KillerTroop 11th Cav Whit
+0|6710|Fort Worth, Texas
If you say you are American then you really are. If you put any other thing first you should return to that location. Nothing wrong with being proud of where your roots were but just be American. Is that so hard or difficult?
TheMajorBummer
Have a nice day!
+-4|6795|Netherlands
if it aint Dutch...it aint much.
Major Payne
+18|6750|Netherlands
the Dutch man here kick all your asses and owning you unless your a noob whit a GL
RDMC_old
+0|6706|Almere, Holland

Sgt.Gh0st wrote:

In that case I whant to be called a Dutch-man! Not a european! Ha!
Guess that I should be named Dutchman aswell then!
Sgt.Gh0st
Pump-Action Pimp
+16|6752|The Hague, Holland

TheMajorBummer wrote:

if it aint Dutch...it aint much.

Major Payne wrote:

the Dutch man here kick all your asses and owning you unless your a noob whit a GL

RDMC wrote:

Sgt.Gh0st wrote:

In that case I whant to be called a Dutch-man! Not a european! Ha!
Guess that I should be named Dutchman aswell then!
Dutch-men unite!
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!
+271|6725|United States of America
uh, americans unite faster? now?
=ARF=Icefox
+0|6703
I feel a powerful need to play the Devil's Advocate. ;)

Yes, let us rewrite the laws of grammar because of our senses of patriotism! And lets be sure to kick out all the people in our countries who actually graduated High School and have some college education who would dare refer to themselves in a correct manner!

Lets see, so you propose switching around the standard so that American African means an American who is of African descent, and so that African American must then refer to an African of American descent?

And let me see if I fully understand this.. the ORDER to which I describe something, regardless of the standards of language we have accepted, is a reference to my patriotism or lack thereof? Hmmm... And just where is Caucasia, anyway?

I'm inspired. If listing order matters so incredibly much outside of mere grammatical and standards correctness, let us apply this to addresses as well. I propose we change all addresses to more accurately reflect our loyalties, too. For instance, Smalltown, MyState, USA should clearly be changed to USA, MyState, Smalltown on all standards of addressing envelopes to accurately reflect our order of loyalty. Actually, a small addendum should be attached to each envelope clarifying which of our loyalties have priority, so that it can be properly read! So if your first loyalty goes to your state, let us put that first!

And I think Dutchman rocks. ;) And I also tend to agree that I prefer to think of us all as HUMANkind, though if you ARE going to refer to ethnicity+nationality.. might as well do it correctly. ;)

Last edited by =ARF=Icefox (2005-11-19 21:08:49)

SharkyMcshark
I'll take two
+132|6755|Perth, Western Australia
Im gonna say Australian
=IMO=Ready2Die
Expert Infantryman
+0|6706
I may live in America, but since I'm not a Native american, I'm not a true American. Proud to be Italian!
samstar81
Straddle my Member
+0|6729|The Netherlands

=ARF=Icefox wrote:

Hmmm... And just where is Caucasia, anyway?
It's in Russia, ever heard of the Caucas Mountains, just north-east of Turkey.
fdcp_elmo
Rules over Sesamestreet
+5|6725|The Netherlands
here another kaaskop (dutchman)
Icefox, look I would first say it is the United States OF America. So some small town is included. Then I say that if you are an American by birth or come from another country and you become a citizen you should put America first. If that is so hard to do maybe the person should not be here. If you want to be called an African American and have become a citizen here go to Africa and you can answer African American but if you stay here be an American African. That is to difficult for others to understand. Also when an African American goes to Germany they say I am American not I am African American or they say I am from America not Africa. To live in or country is truely a blessing if you have been to a third world one you would know so be proud, it should be easy. Even the Indians from here are American Indian.
Sgt.Gh0st
Pump-Action Pimp
+16|6752|The Hague, Holland

=ARF=Icefox wrote:

And I think Dutchman rocks. And I also tend to agree that I prefer to think of us all as HUMANkind, though if you ARE going to refer to ethnicity+nationality.. might as well do it correctly.
Cant go wrong with Dutchman.
SodaBob
+-1|6813|Indiana, US

KillerTroop 11th Cav Whit wrote:

Why don't we here in the USA just call ourselves AMERICAN and do away with African, and Mexican and all other references. At least put American first.
Which one, South American or North American?  It cracks me up that Canadians call we people in the US "Americans".  Odd.  I guess it's better than United Statesians.

But I agree - what should people in Africa call themselves?  African-American Africans?  lol

What's more is that, from a scientific standpoint, there is no such thing as "race."  The very idea of "race" is just an arbitrary, and therefore not very useful, classification system created hundreds of years ago to justify European dominance.

American Anthropological Association Statement on "Race"

Bob.
SodaBob
+-1|6813|Indiana, US

=ARF=Icefox wrote:

Yes, let us rewrite the laws of grammar because of our senses of patriotism! And lets be sure to kick out all the people in our countries who actually graduated High School and have some college education who would dare refer to themselves in a correct manner!
The laws of grammar were already rewritten.  When I was born, "Negro" was the norm.  Then it was "Black".  Now it's "African-American".  I certainly don't personally think someone who describes themselves as "African-American" is unpatriotic - more power to them.  But it just isn't very accurate - even if "race" really existed (see my other post above).

As far as that goes, if you want to see how grammar rules change, try reading Old English sometime!!!

=ARF=Icefox wrote:

And let me see if I fully understand this.. the ORDER to which I describe something, regardless of the standards of language we have accepted, is a reference to my patriotism or lack thereof? Hmmm... And just where is Caucasia, anyway?
The Caucasus (aka Caucasia), a region bordering Asia Minor, is located between the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea which includes the Caucasus Mountains and surrounding lowlands. The highest peak is Mount Elbrus (5642m).

The nations that comprise today's Caucasus include Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, and parts of Russia. The northern slopes of the Caucasus are in the Russian Federation: Krasnodar Krai, Stavropol Krai and the autonomous republics Adygea, Kalmykia, Karachay-Cherkessia, Kabardino-Balkaria, North Ossetia, Ingushetia, Chechnya and Dagestan. The northern section of the Caucasus is known as the Ciscaucasus, and the southern as the Transcaucasus...

Caucasus

So yes, the term "Caucasian" is really a misnomer just as much as "African American".  My ancestors were from Europe (England, Germany, Italy, etc) and America (native), and yet I'm considered "Caucasian" or "White", despite the fact that I am neither descended from Caucasians nor the color of printer paper.  Very strange.

I personally put "Other: Homo sapien sapiens" on my census form.  Anything else is arbitrary.

Bob.

Last edited by SodaBob (2005-11-22 11:50:54)

SodaBob
+-1|6813|Indiana, US

KillerTroop 11th Cav Whit wrote:

Even the Indians from here are American Indian.
The ones from India?  Or the other "Indians"?   And I believe that for the Indians you're talking about, the current vernacular is "Native American", which I don't mind so much because at least it's somewhat accurate, though I consider myself a native American myself, since I was born here...

Bob.
Bob, good points and I even have some American Indian blood in me, or should that be Native American Indian blood? I think the only reason for the African in front is because of the need to get something for free. I also know that if a person comes here from a country like Veit Nam they get special treatment from the Government (Our High TAX dollars). Hell we give illegal Mexicans more than we do our own people. The system is good but it also is flawed in my belief. I am not Whitey, cracker or ghost I am American. If you don't love it leave it is a song that comes to mind when I hear "I am African or Mexican American. Point be AMERICAN FIRST.
^*AlphA*^
F*ckers
+3,135|6708|The Hague, Netherlands

Dutchie Powerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36eac2cb6af70a43508fd8d1c93d3201f4e23435.png
CL_Crusader
=CL=_Crusader [M95] His leg
+3|6701|Austria
Why don't we all refer to ourselfes as "Earthlings"??

https://www.bf2s.com/player/58043120/sig.png
https://www.bf2s.com/player/58043120/awards.jpg

Last edited by CL_Crusader (2005-11-23 09:52:20)

Small Dutch Dicks in a small fantasy world. Talk about the point or brag about yourself on another chat. I love this debate. Is saying Negro the same as the "N" word?
paciopacio
+0|6726
I agree...not enough pride in America! American it is!!!!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard