AMD is the 133761%61% - 130
Intel is the 133738%38% - 82
Total: 212
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6737|Salt Lake City

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

i heard AMD is opening another fab in new york... AMD really needs to go to 300mm wafers and 65nm technology fast.
Their new fab in Germany is coming online towards the end of this year.  It will manufacture on their 65nm process and use 300mm wafers.  Once that plant is up and running they will migrate their original Dresden plant to 65nm and 300mm wafers.

But you are correct, they were looking at possibly opening a fab in upstate NY, possibly coming online by 2010.
that long? i thought it was opening in new york in like next year... intel has waaaay more fabs than AMD, thus they wont have supply issues.
AMD does have their Texas plant, but they migrated that one to making flash memory and such, several years ago actually.

As I recall from the article, they hadn't even finalized the plans to build in NY, but if everything went as planned they figured the plant could be online by 2010.  It takes quite some time to build a fab facility.  Plus, once the building is done and everything in place, they usually run manuacturing tests for about 6 months before they even start to run any actual production from it.
Janus67
Tech God
+86|6596|Ohio, USA
for the past three years I would have said AMD, but by seeing the new benchies etc and performance/overcockability of the Core2Duo I can't help but vote for Intel.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717

Janus67 wrote:

for the past three years I would have said AMD, but by seeing the new benchies etc and performance/overcockability of the Core2Duo I can't help but vote for Intel.
sum1 is seeing the light!
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6737|Salt Lake City

Gaming is still going to come down to the video card, but if you have other CPU intensive tasks, then the Conroe may be a very worthwhile upgrade.
Adonlude
+2|6780
I wonder if AMD's new CPU in 2008 will beat Intels Conroe even, much less Intels planned architecture for 2008. And yes, modern games are GPU bottlenecked so it doesn't make alot of sense to upgrade your gaming computer right now to Conroe. But anyone buying a new computer should definately choose a cheaper faster Conroe over a slower more expensive AMD.

For those of you who still think AMD CPU's are still as good as Intel's please take a look at a few clippings from what the rest of the "informed" world thinks:

Game Over? Core 2 Duo Knocks Out Athlon 64, Tom’s Hardware
“Core 2 Duo Is the new king”
“So fasten your seatbelts, because Core 2 Duo is the new high-flyer.”
“Core 2 Duo shall become the undisputed leader in performance and performance per Watt”
“As soon as Core 2 Duo hits the market, it will outperform the complete Athlon 64 family (X2 and FX) in all areas, including gaming, where AMD has traditionally been very strong”

Intel's Core 2 Extreme & Core 2 Duo: The Empire Strikes Back, Anandtech “Today is the real deal. We've all been waiting for this day, the day Intel lifts the last remaining curtain on the chip that is designed to re-take the performance crown from AMD, to return Intel to its days of glory.”
“You're instead looking at the most impressive piece of silicon the world has ever seen, at the fastest desktop processor we've ever tested. What you're looking at is Conroe and today is its birthday.”
“Intel's Core 2 Extreme X6800 didn't lose a single benchmark in our comparison, not a single one.”
“Compared to AMD's Athlon 64 the situation gets a lot more competitive, but AMD still doesn't stand a chance.”
“Intel's Core 2 processors will give you a very good reason to upgrade this year.”

First "Conroe" Core 2 PC Delivers Amazing Benchmark Results, PC Magazine Online
“The Falcon Northwest Mach V runs Intel's long-awaited Core 2 processor (formerly known as Conroe). It's the new desktop performance champ, and the one others will be chasing around the track for quite a while.”
“Jaw-dropping speed. Quieter than some of the competition.”

The Core 2: Intel Goes for the Jugular, Extremetech
“For the near term, Core 2 looks like the must-have CPU for enthusiast and mainstream user alike."
“Core 2 looks like a winner, and will likely be the shiny new bauble that performance enthusiasts love to have dangled in front of them. We're certainly impressed with what we've seen—high performance and low power utilization”

Intel's New Core 2 Duo Processors Run Blazingly Fast in PC World Tests, PC World
“Exclusive PC World tests show that PCs equipped with Intel's new Core 2 Duo processors, formerly code-named Conroe, set new high marks for desktop performance--they're the fastest we've seen by far.”
“Both of the Intel setups bested the AMD-based system on every test in our WorldBench 5 suite as well as on every one of our gaming tests”
“Intel has produced a winner with its Core Duo 2 design; and for the first time in years, the company holds a clear performance advantage over its longtime rival, AMD.”

Intel’s AMD Killer-Core 2 Duo, GD Hardware
“But this is where their (AMD’s) little parade comes to a screeching halt – why? Because in the most simplistic of terms, Conroe (dubbed Core 2 Duo) kicks the Athlon64 right in the balls and doesn’t look back.”
“Make no mistake about it, they have unleashed a series of new processors that are going to make AMD’s life really uncomfortable for the foreseeable future.”
“AM2 should be called AMwho? A band-aid fix at best, AMD’s current crop of CPUs simply can’t compete with Core 2 Duo when you consider they’re priced about the same.”
“Kudos to Intel for getting it right and not just baby-stepping us into the next realm of performance but really handing AMD its *** on a silver platter. We’re performance nuts around here and appreciate the school-of-hard-knocks Intel has gone through with P4. It’s nice to see AMD eat some crow for awhile.”

Intel Core 2 Duo & Extreme Processors and Chipsets, Hothardware.com
“In every benchmark we ran, both of the Core 2 processors we tested outperformed the Athlon 64 FX-62 and Athlon 64 5000+”
“Intel's Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Extreme are almost here, and they seem to be everything Intel promised and then some.”
“Make no mistake, the Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Extreme are very real, and their performance is undeniable.”

Intel's Core 2 Duo and Extreme processors, Techreport.com
“After many hours of testing, we're pleased to report that the Core 2 chips live up to the hype. Intel has recovered its stride, returned to its winning ways, gotten its groove back, and put the izzle back in its shizzle”
“After years of wandering in the wilderness, Intel has recaptured the desktop CPU performance title in dramatic fashion.”
“…the big story here is that Intel has replaced its troubled Netburst microarchitecture with a world-beater. The Core microarchitecture and the chips based on it are a huge improvement, and a fitting end to the era of the Pentium”

Intel Core 2 Music, Images, & Movie Performance, HardOCP
“Intel is back in the ring and a certain contender when it comes to high-powered desktop computing. I have not found any negative aspects to Core 2 at all. If you are buying a new computer system or doing a major upgrade, Intel Core 2 Duo or Extreme should be at the top of your list.”
“There is no doubt that when it comes to editing video, manipulating images, or encoding music, the Intel Core 2 Duo and Extreme processors at 2.66GHz and above currently enjoy a healthy performance advantage over AMD’s Athlon FX and Athlon 64 line of processors. Moreover, I would be remiss if I did not mention the Core 2 Duo and Extreme also do a great job of making the Pentium 4 look like a dinosaur.”

Awesome: Intel's Core 2 Duo chips, CNET

AMD chips hammered by Intel Conroe, The Inquirer

Intel Unleashes Conroe: X6800 and E6700 Reviewed, Legit Reviews
“Let Me Introduce The New King Of The Hill: Conroe”
” Intel has hit a home run with their lastest core and has them ramped up and ready to roll out the door.*“
“*It is because of this*and the fact that Intel has taken the*performance lead back from AMD that we*gladly award the*Intel Conroe"*processor the Legit Reviews Editor's Choice!”

Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 & Core 2 Duo E6700 Processor Review, Sharky Extreme
“The launch of the Core 2 processor line has hit the market with a bang, and offers up an incredible combination of performance and value, coupled with low heat and power specifications. These processors are so good, that it's difficult to highlight any real negatives. The Core 2 Extreme and Duo processors offer record-breaking performance, industry leading power specs, and are priced so that virtually anyone can afford one. It has been a long time since we have seen a processor walk over the competition like this, and we should all thank AMD for bringing out the very best from Intel, as well as proving that competition does indeed work.”

Core 2 Duo is Here! Gamespot
“Intel's new Core 2 processors deliver the performance gains we expect from a new technology release. The Core 2 is especially noteworthy because it's the first Intel processor release that actually outperforms AMD's powerful Athlon 64 line.”
“the $530 Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 also beat our overclocked Athlon 64 FX-60 in every single game test with processor-focused settings. PC game enthusiasts can proudly display their Intel Inside case badges once again (as long as they say "Core 2" on them).”

You think im an Intel "fanboy"? What, do you think im like 15? The word for people like me is "share holder"...
Adonlude
+2|6780

Hellfire(Fish) wrote:

AMD all the way,
While Intel just pushes out their numbers, and trys to awe the ignorant consumer with their higher clock speeds, AMD has worked on making a cheaper, better, faster, cooler chip.
End of story.
AMD is more about its product than its profits.
And that's what I like about em'
Ok I had to post again after reading this. HAHA "END OF STORY" HAHA, did you put your book down and stop reading years ago? Wake up and smell the Conroe bro, everything is different now, roles have been reversed and Intel is now on top again. Only the ignorant can argue otherwise.
slo5oh
+28|6662

0ktane wrote:

I clicked Intel.  Intel has owned the CPU business for years...and it's just NOW that AMD is takin a lead?  Yeah, AMD is tearin it up now...but know your roots ppl.    Intel 286 FTW! 
nahh...
LEARN your roots dude!
AMD made all the chips for Intel before they came out with the pentium.  I've got at least 1 386 or 486 chip at home that has the AMD emblem on it...
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717

Adonlude wrote:

Hellfire(Fish) wrote:

AMD all the way,
While Intel just pushes out their numbers, and trys to awe the ignorant consumer with their higher clock speeds, AMD has worked on making a cheaper, better, faster, cooler chip.
End of story.
AMD is more about its product than its profits.
And that's what I like about em'
Ok I had to post again after reading this. HAHA "END OF STORY" HAHA, did you put your book down and stop reading years ago? Wake up and smell the Conroe bro, everything is different now, roles have been reversed and Intel is now on top again. Only the ignorant can argue otherwise.
im gonna get E6700 when its out and im so lucky that i got the tower 120 way b4
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
ShotYourSix
Boldly going nowhere...
+196|6720|Las Vegas
I'd wait 6 months if I were you, the motherboards will have matured quite a bit by then and the early pricing will have settled down a bit..
-r3-anubis
+73|6538|florida
The new Intel might knock out lots of AMDs but they never compared the Conroe to the fastest AMD on the market, AMD will beat conroe easily.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717

-r3-anubis wrote:

The new Intel might knock out lots of AMDs but they never compared the Conroe to the fastest AMD on the market, AMD will beat conroe easily.
with what... why cant we compare conroe w/ amd? its whats latest on the market right?

btw, intel has 200 million dollars worth of conroes... and we all know conroe will sell really fast, and 200 million is how much AMD makes in a year if theyre lucky.

if you say the next gen AMD is gonna beat conroe, im going to laugh at you. next gen amd (k8l) will be out in 2008, by then intel will have a new architecture codenamed nelahem
ShotYourSix
Boldly going nowhere...
+196|6720|Las Vegas

-r3-anubis wrote:

Even the midrange Conroes are besting FX60/62 in the vast majority of benchmarks.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/sh … 5&p=14

Exactly which AMD chip are you tottering on about?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717

ShotYourSix wrote:

-r3-anubis wrote:

Even the midrange Conroes are besting FX60/62 in the vast majority of benchmarks.

the still on paper not even physical K8L
Slayer
---hates you
+1,137|6757|Hell, p.o box 666

sidenote: intresting stuff in here, the members with much knowledge about techstuff brought some good reason and proof for Intels new flagship(?) but the poll tends still to AMD
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717

fon|sl4y3r wrote:

sidenote: intresting stuff in here, the members with much knowledge about techstuff brought some good reason and proof for Intels new flagship(?) but the poll tends still to AMD
yes it is, since most of the forums members never go to tech sites and always thinking about the past how AMD killed intel cpus
ShotYourSix
Boldly going nowhere...
+196|6720|Las Vegas
90% of the poll responders probably have not read a tech site in months. Hell, 2 months ago I'd have even sided with AMD.

It was the same back when AMD took the gaming performance crown away from Intel.  It took a very LONG time for it to become generally accepted that in most cases AMD was a stronger gaming platform than Intel.  What was different then than now, is that the differences were not nearly as pronounced as what we are seeing with Conroe.  There was a considerable amount of time when it was dificult to say who actually HAD the lead.  It was a very gradual climb for AMD to take the lead.  Intel has taken it back in one day.

This is probably the largest step up in a CPU release since 1996.  It's going to be hard for people to remain oblivious to that fact for long....

Last edited by ShotYourSix (2006-07-20 23:28:49)

Maj.Do
+85|6753|good old CA

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

-r3-anubis wrote:

with what... why cant we compare conroe w/ amd? its whats latest on the market right?

btw, intel has 200 million dollars worth of conroes... and we all know conroe will sell really fast, and 200 million is how much AMD makes in a year if theyre lucky.

if you say the next gen AMD is gonna beat conroe, im going to laugh at you. next gen amd (k8l) will be out in 2008, by then intel will have a new architecture codenamed nelahem
Wait is the K8l the server cpu?  An is Nelahem the successor to conroe? 
Also Intel has my vote :  ).   Cant wait to get the mid range conroe.
slo5oh
+28|6662

ShotYourSix wrote:

-r3-anubis wrote:

I'm not saying that the Conroe isn't going to school the "current" line of AMD CPUs... shit I'd be on crack to think Intel would come out with a new line of chips that WASN'T at least faster than the current line... duhh!!  That would be some fun marketing... "Here's our NEW line of CPUs and they're only 10% slower than our rivals LINE that's been available for nearly 2 years".  So yes, I expect the INTEL CPUs to be faster... I'm not the type to jump on every new chip just because it's a little faster.

I'm just wondering when AMD steps up beyond "am2" and makes their next line if they're going to have another gold mine CPU like the Opteron 144/146 and 165/170 series.

I'm sorry but anyone that argues a $1000 CPU is better than a $250 CPU when it's only 25% faster is ON CRACK.  If it were 4 TIMES faster, since it costs 4 TIMES as much, then it would be worth it. 
ShotYourSix
Boldly going nowhere...
+196|6720|Las Vegas
Sorry.....didn't mean to sound like a dick there......

The point you may be missing here is that a $300 conroe (E6600) is beating up FX60 and FX62.  Forget about the $1000 option.  You can have high end FX performance (and above) for $300.  That is remarkable.  And that is the reason for all the fuss.

Edit:

As for when AMD will bring out a Conroe killer, unless they have something up their sleeve (and most tech. analysts suggest they do not at the moment) then the first real chance they have will be the K8L architecture which could be as long as mid 2008 for release.  Many things could change in between now and then, but that is the current concensus.  In the meantime, what does Intel have up it's sleeve come 2008?  Will be interesting to see, that's for sure. 

I love AMD and I hated to see them lose the "top dawg" spot but this is good for competition and ultimately we all benefit in the long run.  I'll buy whoever's chips are faster regardless of brand.

Last edited by ShotYourSix (2006-07-26 21:34:00)

slo5oh
+28|6662

ShotYourSix wrote:

The point you may be missing here is that a $300 conroe (E6600) is beating up FX60 and FX62.  Forget about the $1000 option.  You can have high end FX performance (and above) for $300.  That is remarkable.  And that is the reason for all the fuss.
You're not sounding like a dick, don't stress.
My point is still valid.  You can ALREADY have FX performance for under $300, it's called an opteron, and you don't even have to buy a new motherboard and ram. 
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717

slo5oh wrote:

ShotYourSix wrote:

You're not sounding like a dick, don't stress.
My point is still valid.  You can ALREADY have FX performance for under $300, it's called an opteron, and you don't even have to buy a new motherboard and ram. 
opterons dont outperfom FX chips.... unless overclocked. the point here is an unoverclocked E6600 kicked an FX62's ass, ive seen a E6600 reach 4ghz... now that is true ass kicking, almost 100% overclocked
ShotYourSix
Boldly going nowhere...
+196|6720|Las Vegas
4ghz on air no less......I wonder how much headroom some good watercooling could add to that.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717

ShotYourSix wrote:

4ghz on air no less......I wonder how much headroom some good watercooling could add to that.
its all how well the northbridge is b4 it fries... 4GHZ on air for high end air cooling, water cooling should reach 4.5 when properly cooled the nortbridge
Twist
Too old to be doing this sh*t
+103|6524|Little blue planet, milky way
Well, I realise that I've been around longer than most of the people posting on these boards. I've sold my share of each of the two brands (and a few others that most of you have never heard of). I've owned several and I've liked all of them (except for the original 486SX virtually cacheless CPU).

Historically, it's always been a battle ever since AMD and Intel started competing for the private consumers. First one was faster, then the other. then one had flaws, then the other did. Then one did flops faster, the other did ints faster. One had higher bus frequency, the other had more cache. One had more features, the other used less power... It's been one long roler coaster ride as to which is better....

And the thruthfull anser is: NONE of them are better than the other. Each of the CPUs that AMD or Intel has made has been a significant breakthrough in technology, and EACH of them have servered a specific purpose and covered a specific need in the market. One was good for mobiles, one was good for gaming, one was low priced (for cofeemachines and what have you), one was good for server usage.... Which CPu serves what purpose has changed a lot over the years. AMD moved on the commercial market, then Intel moved on the consumer market. AMD moved on the mobile market and Intel moved on the server market. These guys have been eating at eachothers client lists for ages. And it's all good as it promotes competition (and cooperation).

I chose Intel in the poll, not because I play on it. I have my AMD for that.. But for serious 3D animations, the Intel is just faster... Can't help it, that's just facts.
BigglesPiP
Whirlybird Guy
+20|6549|Windermere, GB
Dpepends on your budget, but for the money no object rig Intel has the crown right now.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard