Total: 314
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6711|CH/BR - in UK

He's on the christian side
Chuckles
+32|6708

Daysniper wrote:

Go ahead, try to challenge me. I have evidence to support me. You don't. Come on, I dare you...
I'm confused.

Try to challenge you on what, exactly?  That you get annoyed when Christians give you grief about being Jewish?  Or that you're Jewish?  Or your definition of creationism?  I believe you on all counts because I don't have any reason not to, but if you have evidence to support yourself, post it. 

*NOTE*  DO NOT POST A PICTURE OF YOUR CIRCUMCISED PENIS!

Maybe some shots from your Bar Mitzvah would be proof enough that you're Jewish.  And a link from wikipedia about creationism should suffice on that front.
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6711|CH/BR - in UK

Chuckles wrote:

*NOTE*  DO NOT POST A PICTURE OF YOUR CIRCUMCISED PENIS!
that just made my day, still laughing about it...
Thanks for that, +1
Daysniper
+42|6796
Sorry, I think I overreacted. I deleted my post. I will be withdrawing from this argument.

Thanks
Chuckles
+32|6708

Daysniper wrote:

Sorry, I think I overreacted. I deleted my post. I will be withdrawing from this argument.

Thanks
No need to apologize, I'm just giving you a little grief.
Anfidurl
Use the bumper, that's what its for!
+103|6753|Lexington, Kentucky

JaMDuDe wrote:

Almost everything about earth shows that it did not happen by random chance. Read a good book like The Privileged Planet and they explain through pure science how earth shows the signs of intelligence.
So if there are 1000 random chances, and only one of them ends up being the final result, what are fairly dumb bald apes going to think about it? For ages we thought it was destined to be like it always is (and might be) but we soon grew out of the dark ages and learned better.

Sorry chum, game over. Continue? (Y/N)
Anfidurl
Here's evidence of a girl who acts 100% like a dog. Raised by dogs, the whole lot.
http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/the … 83022.html

Now, my question is: If you were not forced by your parents to believe something (anything) was right, and you formed a morality system on your own of what is good and bad, would you even need (or feel) religion?

Congrats. The ONLY reason religion is still around is because we indocrtinate the young, the gullible.
Kinda like smoking up until the late 80's.

Discuss.
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6711|CH/BR - in UK

agreed...need I say more? btw, the article is kinda scary...
Daysniper
+42|6796

Anfidurl wrote:

JaMDuDe wrote:

Almost everything about earth shows that it did not happen by random chance. Read a good book like The Privileged Planet and they explain through pure science how earth shows the signs of intelligence.
So if there are 1000 random chances, and only one of them ends up being the final result, what are fairly dumb bald apes going to think about it? For ages we thought it was destined to be like it always is (and might be) but we soon grew out of the dark ages and learned better.

Knowing JaMDuDe from previous arguments, he'll choose yes.
JaMDuDe
+69|6938

Anfidurl wrote:

JaMDuDe wrote:

I dont even get what your trying to say. Maybe you could reword it for me so i can understand.
Anfidurl
Err, sorry about that. What I'm trying to say is if there were 10 random chances, and only one could be the end result, then would we even care about the other 9? Would we even KNOW about the other 9? Or would we believe somewhat self-centeredly that we are the be-all-end-all, that we were always supposed to end up this way (even though we've changed drastically in the past 2000 years?)
JaMDuDe
+69|6938
10 random chances of what? I dont get how 10 random random chances could be the end result of something then we wouldnt know the other 9. Are you talking about religion or earth or how we "evolved" ????????
Chuckles
+32|6708

Anfidurl wrote:

Here's evidence of a girl who acts 100% like a dog. Raised by dogs, the whole lot.

Now, my question is: If you were not forced by your parents to believe something (anything) was right, and you formed a morality system on your own of what is good and bad, would you even need (or feel) religion?

Congrats. The ONLY reason religion is still around is because we indocrtinate the young, the gullible.

Discuss.
There are lots and lots of people that are converted as an adult, so I don't think you can lay it all on the feet of impressionable youth.
Anfidurl

JaMDuDe wrote:

10 random chances of what? I dont get how 10 random random chances could be the end result of something then we wouldnt know the other 9. Are you talking about religion or earth or how we "evolved" ????????
Err. If 10 chances of something happening, each chance being something completly different, would we know of the other nine if one happened? I think not. Bah. I hope you get my drift.
Anfidurl

Chuckles wrote:

There are lots and lots of people that are converted as an adult, so I don't think you can lay it all on the feet of impressionable youth.
Ah, but if it wasn't for the youth, who would age and then take in those handfuls who decided to join up? You see the quandry?
T0xicboy
+4|6668|the grim and cold north.

Skruples wrote:

We already knew we weren't on an average planet. We know of 9 planets, and ours is the only "good" one, thus in the 'known universe' of planets ours is very unaverage. However, you seemed to be trying to use that video as evidence that life should not exist naturally, and that is an error. At best, even if we accept for the moment that everything it says is true, it only provides evidence that we should be the only life in this galaxy. As I said before, if we include the entire universe and still say that the odds of life are 1x10^-15, life is still likely to happen somewhere. It just happened to happen here.
It's true in a sense, we only have found life on Earth at the moment.

******* Not a flame against Skruples, more likely a support of his theories *********

Both Mars and Venus are pretty much equal good as Earth to have life on it, being within the right distance from this type of star.
The problem is that Venus have a really bad case of Global Warming at the moment, it's too hot there for us.
And Mars is the opposite, not enough Greenhouse Effect to keep it warm enough for things like us to live there.

And then we have the problem with the composition of the atmosphere there, but then again, life that would grow and live there would probably be adapted to that environment.
Just look at harsh environments on earth, we have stuff living in superheated sulfer-laden water, and they will die if we move them to plain water.

It’s all about adaptation, or a God with a good sense of humor.
Or whatever you believe created and still mutates or maybe upgrades the different types of things that exist on earth.

The bottom line is that all three planets could have life on them if the conditions on the actual planets would be acceptable.
Keep in mind that Earth can be the next Venus if the Global Worming continues, a change of climate for a planet can go pretty quickly, and it’s more or less reversibly.

3 out of 9 is pretty good in my point of view, then again our solar system might be a really weird one compared to all the millions millions millions solar systems out there…..

/Toxic
Vub
The Power of Two
+188|6655|Sydney, Australia

Anfidurl wrote:

Discuss.
We are all born naive and sinful, as God gave humans a choice of whether they want to believe He created them, or not. If we were to develop on completely our own devices, then our moral system may not include religion, true, but it also won't include many other things like honesty, kindness, ethics, knowledge. All there would be is a basic instinct for survival. So of course we do depend on our parents to teach us about God in the very beginning, then we can go on and decide for ourselves.

There have been many people in history, who, (as adults) started out to try and disprove Christianity, and ultimately ended up becoming Christians because they've found the evidence points to that as the logical conclusion.

Darth_Fleder wrote:

I have a couple questions for you unbelievers out there........

1. I am a believer, if I am wrong, what have I lost?
2. If you who do not believe are wrong.....what have you lost?
Think about these questions. Being a believer you've got nothing to lose. However, if you are not a believer, and it happened to be true, then what have you set yourself up for?
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6835|Canberra, AUS
Make the distinction, please.

We are arguing against decrepit, illogical theories put out by you and others.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Hellfire(Fish)
Your Favorite Whiny Liberal
+8|6666|Alabama, United States

Vub wrote:

Have a look at the Earth, it is "perfect" to harbour life. A few thousand kilometres nearer or closer to the Sun would turn us into Mars or the Moon or Venus, which are lifeless. So is it by pure chance, that surrounding this yellow star, a planet with all the chemicals and conditions which are essential for life to begin, grouped together? The air temperature, the vast oceans of water, the oxygen in the atmosphere, the ozone which blocks out UVb and UVc, and the carbon and nitrogen and complex carbohydrates and proteins and DNA: the chances of all that is infinitesimal. These conditions were set in place when God created the Earth.

Another thing, there are some extremely complex and ingenious structures in the world, such as the eye, which couldn't have developed out of random mutations.
Ever wonder why we have NEVER found another planet like Earth?
Because the 1^-infinity power percent chance that something like this can happen is about that small.
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6707|Doncaster, UK

Vub wrote:

We are all born naive and sinful
We are born as sinners???? WTF? Where did that come from? What sin have we committed fresh from the womb?

Vub wrote:

Think about these questions. Being a believer you've got nothing to lose. However, if you are not a believer, and it happened to be true, then what have you set yourself up for?
So if we don't believe in your God, but follow another religion like the majority of the world, we're also screwed?
Vub
The Power of Two

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

Vub wrote:

We are born as sinners???? WTF? Where did that come from? What sin have we committed fresh from the womb?

Vub wrote:

So if we don't believe in your God, but follow another religion like the majority of the world, we're also screwed?
I meant firstly that we're born sinful because we would commit sin without knowing it. I'm not saying that we've sinned in the womb. I don't want to answer the second question because for those who won't accept the answer it's an attack on their freedom of belief.
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6707|Doncaster, UK

Vub wrote:

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

Vub wrote:

Vub wrote:

I meant firstly that we're born sinful because we would commit sin without knowing it. I'm not saying that we've sinned in the womb. I don't want to answer the second question because for those who won't accept the answer it's an attack on their freedom of belief.
Fair enough, and on the second point I thought the whole "Your religion is wrong thing was just that" but I'll leave it at that, don't want to turn this into a flame war.

Thanks for answering.
Vub
The Power of Two
I don't think the Intelligent Design or coincidence How Did We Come Here debate can be solved here at this time. The only way to prove one is true is through contradicting the other through further scientific evidence. However, it's more a question of faith which is before us. We don't know, but still have faith in that the sun will still rise tomorrow. I don't know how we came here or why life started, but have faith in that the Lord created us and knows what's best for us.
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6711|CH/BR - in UK

Anfidurl wrote:

Chuckles wrote:

Ah, but if it wasn't for the youth, who would age and then take in those handfuls who decided to join up? You see the quandry?
I know a few who were converted: they were all converted in times of dire need, where they needed something to believe in.
For me, it's pretty much case closed
.:XDR:.PureFodder
+105|6990

Hellfire(Fish) wrote:

Ever wonder why we have NEVER found another planet like Earth?
Because the 1^-infinity power percent chance that something like this can happen is about that small.
No.

Actually it's because they are really small, dark and far away. Also they are orbiting stars which are massively more bright objects. Planetary detection is typically done by observing the dimming of the star caused by planets that happen to orbit directly between us and the star or are heavy enough to cause enough movement in the position of the star as they orbit, both of these methods can't see earth like planets as they are too small. There are projects underway with the aim to detect earth sized planets, but at the moment we don't have the ability to see them.

As far as religious choice goes, the vast majority of people have their religion thrust upon them by their parents, friends and society. Basically you'll have the religion you parents want you to have. If there was any major self choice that influenced this then people of each religion would be statistically spread out around the world. In actuality, given the street address of somebody you could almost certainly guess their religion correctly.

Last edited by .:XDR:.PureFodder (2006-07-20 05:13:59)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard