dan500
+57|6853
Blizzard faces a lawsuit from Chinese parents, who say World of Warcraft caused the death of their son.
November 18, 2005

In the latest saga over online gaming addiction in China, the parents of a 13-year-old Tianjin boy are suing the makers of World of Warcraft, blaming the game for the death of their son, according to the Chinese news agency Xinhua.

The parents filed a suit against Blizzard Entertainment on Wednesday, saying their son jumped to his death while reenacting a scene from the game, the report said. The parents are backed by the anti-Internet addiction advocate Zhang Chunliang.

Mr. Chunliang has spoken to 63 parents whose children have allegedly suffered from online gaming addiction and plans to file a class-action suit, according to the report.
http://www.redherring.com/Article.aspx? … ;hed=Youth

I think its getting out of hand, how people blame games for other people actions, the kid MUST have know not to do that.

Do you think they just want someone to blame for his stupidness or do you think online gaming is bad for people?
dshak
+4|6818
um,

this depends on the whole story, if he REALLY WAS trying to re-inact something from the game, who knows, they might have a case. Whether there is merit to that case or not I don't know, its a sticky question probably best left to lawyers and judges. yeah, the kid would have to be pretty sick to do something like this, even before he picked up the game, but if the game was what gave him the idea that ended up harming himself... is there liability??? I don't know how I feel about this one.

This one would be extra messy given that its an international case, and much of international law is still being written.... or has yet to be.

geesh, these threads have been giving me a major ice cream headache lately, I think I'll stay out of them for a while and go back to actually playing BF2

Last edited by dshak (2005-11-20 20:23:05)

nzjafa
+2|6771
in my opinion you gotta be a special kind of stupid to jump off a high place without safety measures in order to re-enact a scene from a computer game. the fact that those kids play the game for 10 hours every day or whatever is no fault of the game. if the parents are so annoyed that their child is wrecking his life in front of a computer, why don't they go play ball with him or something? i just see things like this as bad parenting.

if a kid goes to school with a gun and shoots someone because he saw it in a computer game, this isn't the company's fault. in my eyes its the parents fault for buying the kid the game in the first place if he lacks the maturity or psychological stability to play the game.
freebirdpat
Base Rapist
+5|6758
Maybe the great firewall of china will block WoW from being played now, and then no more chinese grindshops that some people have complained about.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6780|Noizyland

As I said in another identical topic, it's like blaming Pac-Man for obesity.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6853|"Frisco"

Yeah let's use this case to set a precedance against movies with violence in them. How about books too. Oral history? Yeah! No more telling people or showing people any kind of acts that re-enacting could do you harm by.

It's a total bullshit case.
dshak
+4|6818
Pac-man is responsible for obesity!!!!!!!!!!!! waka waka waka waka waka waka
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6842
God dam is that Why I got fat? I thought it was The Haagandaz * Rum Rasin,  those muthers.

waca waca waca

*I think thats close, Hey you try and spell it without checking I dare you!
kessel!
Peruvian Cocaine
+261|6770|Toronto Canada
WoW is so ghey! People who play it deserve to die
CreepingDeath
+1|6750
My son plays WOW  . .Yuppers these law suits started with spilt coffee at Mcdonalds they will never end.
FREEEEEE money ..
Erkut.hv
+124|6740|California
One less Wow geek.... sweet!

Seriously, they should shoot the parents in the head, as an example of what happens to bad parents.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6785|Great Brown North
ok what they hell? shouldnt this come down to the parents teaching their kids the difference between a GAME and REALITY?! thats like sueing PaperMate because you spelled a word wrong with their pen. put the parents in jail and boot them in the face.
Nehil
+3|6737|South Sweden (NOT SWITZERLAND)
It kind of fun and tragic at the same time. Still I hope they sue them and shut down WoW that game consumes so much time for my friends.
ronin1942
+-1|6849

krazed wrote:

ok what they hell? shouldnt this come down to the parents teaching their kids the difference between a GAME and REALITY?! thats like sueing PaperMate because you spelled a word wrong with their pen. put the parents in jail and boot them in the face.
Exactly what i was thinking where the "F" are the parents!!! when i was a kid my parents made me get up and do something i was only allowed to play video games on the weekend or if it was too rainny to go outside.

i hate people ...take some damn responsibilty for your kids damn it!
=SoG=PredatoR
+3|6762|Austin, Texas
What are you guys talking about? I'm going to be filing a lawsuit against EA for making me think that I can fly a multi-million dollar helicopter without any training what-so-ever.

Last edited by =SoG=PredatoR (2005-12-20 15:09:30)

Emetchar
+0|6717
It's weird how video games can completely override any and all schooling by the parents and any experiences the kid may have had involving gravity in any form.

The kid was a fucking idiot. Not only was he an idiot, but his parents were, imo, criminally negligent. Sounds like lousy parents trying to exploit their son's death to make a quick buck.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard