Do you think Gay marriage should be legal

No not at all34%34% - 126
Yes they should be able to38%38% - 140
Civil unions only16%16% - 61
Not even civil unions allowed10%10% - 37
Total: 364
CameronPoe
+2,925|6708
I am an atheist but I was raised as a catholic and was very religious up until the age of about 14 at which point I rejected the notion of a higher being altogether.

I think that civil unions should be allowed. A civil union is just a legal agreement guaranteeing certain rights for and enforcing certain laws on a pair of human beings. I don't see what the big deal is as regards whether the two partners are of the same sex or not.

With respect to religion however my view differs. Why should a religion change to suit a particular segment of society? If a religion was to continually alter then it would lose its status as a rock someone can depend on. The whole basis of christianity is the infallible truth, etc. of the preachings of christ and other such biblical characters. The bible pointedly remarks on homosexuality as being depraved. That is regrettable for gays but they just have to live with that. It is why the bible is flawed - it was written in accordance with the prevailing social norms in existence at the time the scriptures were written and catered for those alive at that time. Noweher in the bible did it say the earth was flat - so the church got away with the change of stance on the earth's 'sphericality' after the whole Galileo Galilei thing. The homosexuality comments are written clear as day in the bible however so I'm afraid the church CANNOT budge. Gays are just going to have to like it or lump it.
-=CB=-krazykarl
not always PWD, but usually.
+95|6689|Carlsbad, CA, USA

Battlefield2Player wrote:

Negative!

Marriage is between a man and a woman.
yes
GermanLegionaire
...performing headshots!
+46|6737|Hamburg / Germany

heman6666 wrote:

maybe get married but not have a kid. then they only create another gay and he creates another gay and he craetes another gay ond so on. at last they have conquered the world amd kills all woman and only gays are allowed to live. then the human rase is gone AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
i go hang myself now
bullshit.
if two gay men or two lesbian women get married, do they do any harm to any third person? no, they don't so let 
them get married. what about kids without parents, do you think it is better that they get not adopted or by a homosexual couple? you don't become a gay, only because you hang around with gays. you are born gay or not, 
but every single human is created by the lord. so do you think he might love someone more than any other?
sry for bad spelling.

Last edited by GermanLegionaire (2006-07-14 08:22:44)

~{TPP}~richoxon
I Want a New Duck
+43|6720|Up a tree
What sort of fucking post is this????????????
Im not gay , but i have two friends who are, they are both good blokes and i would defend them the same as any other of my friends, ( if they ever started kissing and cuddling in front of me, then its a different story) but they dont so everyone is cool

Last edited by ~{TPP}~richoxon (2006-07-14 08:32:52)

-=CB=-krazykarl

GermanLegionaire wrote:

heman6666 wrote:

maybe get married but not have a kid. then they only create another gay and he creates another gay and he craetes another gay ond so on. at last they have conquered the world amd kills all woman and only gays are allowed to live. then the human rase is gone AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
i go hang myself now
bullshit.
if two gay men or two lesbian women get married, do they do any harm to any third person? no, they don't so let 
them get married. what about kids without parents, do you think it is better that they get not adopted or by a homosexual couple? you don't become a gay, only because you hang around with gays. you are born gay or not, 
but every single human is created by the lord. so do you think he might love someone more than any other?
sry for bad spelling.
it IS a choice, so if you are raised by fags or dykes you might think it is normal. therefore doing harm to a third party. You bring up your "lord" which is amusing, your "lord" does not like homosexuality, so yes he does love some more than others, or else there would be no "hell".
-=CB=-krazykarl

~{TPP}~richoxon wrote:

What sort of fucking post is this????????????
Im not gay , but i have two friends who are, they are both good blokes and i would defend them the same as any other of my friends, ( if they ever started kissing and cuddling in front of me, then its a different story) but they dont so everyone is cool
so they aren't the same as your other friends, you contradicted yourself. Proof read BEFORE posting
=TFF=Omen_NataS
+60|6693

-=CB=-krazykarl wrote:

Battlefield2Player wrote:

Negative!

Marriage is between a man and a woman.
yes
agreed G-A-Y marriage of any kind should never ever be allowed if i can mmary another man then i might just aswell marry my dog WTF that is FKN Nasty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6847|San Francisco
Alright, I think this has been covered before, but anyways:

"Gay Marriage" is NOT an issue to be taken up with the government/legislation.  "Marriage" is an act of faith carried out in a church.  If gays want to get Married, then they really need to bring it up with their church and parish.  In fact, legislation alone on Marriage = the union between a Man and a Woman can be called up on grounds that it is a law establishing a basis of religious views.

The real issue is the fact that a "Married" couple isn't equal to a Civil Union in the eyes of the State.  A minority of this country is trying to become equal in relationship status.  All of the politicians are just trying to throw in the religious fervor since there is more of a religious sway in this country.

I believe that the 'Marriage is between a Man and a Woman' laws and State recognition of it being so should be removed from state legislature.  This will allow the State to recognize that Civil Unions and Marriages are equal (Marriages are just civil unions with a religious blessing), and thus will give both methods of union equal rights under state law.
Erkut.hv
+124|6888|California

Marconius wrote:

Alright, I think this has been covered before, but anyways:

"Gay Marriage" is NOT an issue to be taken up with the government/legislation.  "Marriage" is an act of faith carried out in a church.  If gays want to get Married, then they really need to bring it up with their church and parish.  In fact, legislation alone on Marriage = the union between a Man and a Woman can be called up on grounds that it is a law establishing a basis of religious views.

The real issue is the fact that a "Married" couple isn't equal to a Civil Union in the eyes of the State.  A minority of this country is trying to become equal in relationship status.  All of the politicians are just trying to throw in the religious fervor since there is more of a religious sway in this country.

I believe that the 'Marriage is between a Man and a Woman' laws and State recognition of it being so should be removed from state legislature.  This will allow the State to recognize that Civil Unions and Marriages are equal (Marriages are just civil unions with a religious blessing), and thus will give both methods of union equal rights under state law.
11th sign of the Apocalypse:

"And it shall come to pass that Erkadocius had agreeth with Marconium on an issue. And on that day, the seals were broken..."
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+796|6837|United States of America
KrazyKarl, you may have to correct your statement by adding for our readers across the pond that a "fag" is not a cigarrette.
Use0fWeapons
Get repairs here
+60|6686|Doncaster - UK
someone asked about what a civil union was, (and all the other names for it), i don't think its been explained, and wanted to try and cover it.  I am not 100% on all the technicalities, or how it is different in other countries, but here goes.
The idea is it deals with the rights of the 'next of kin' in leagal issues, in medical issues and after a death.
For instance a living partner from a same sex couple might not be entitled to inheritance.  Or would not be informed by the authorities if their partner was taken to hospital.  Or not be able to make decisions for them if they were in a coma.  the sort of stuff that is covered by a marriage.
However this is often the case with unmarried mixed sex couples as well. Though many places have a 'common law' marriage, eg, if you live with someone for a time you start to be considered as a couple in the eyes of the law.  Not certain on exactly what this covers.

So the ability for a civil union is of benefit to all 'couples'. as it allows them to be legally covered but without the religious blessing bit.

I think that any two people who want to give each other the legal rights over each other should be able to, but this must include all combinations of couples.
Christian 'Marriage' is not available to same sex couples, as it is not part of the religion.  Unfortunately, if you are a homosexual then you cant be married by the Church. (This was talked about above above.)

Last edited by Use0fWeapons (2006-07-14 09:37:45)

JaMDuDe
+69|6930
All the gays in my state are already married    I dont think they should be able to get married but they should get the same rights. I live in massachusetts btw.
Ether151
Banned
+22|6813

GermanLegionaire wrote:

heman6666 wrote:

i go hang myself now
bullshit.
sry for bad spelling.
If I have to see it with my own eyes they are harming a third party, I am not religous but I know for a fact that the "lord" does not approve of gays it says it in the bible, humans are not designed for that we are all designed to be a man and woman couple, I have know people that are gay and some of them are cool but I dont approve of it at all it is not right.  It is all over TV, movies, media, ect. and that is not cool if my kids even have the chance of seeing that shit or being exposed to it in any way realy bothers me, so again it is harming a third party, if you want to be gay you should do it in your own home with the windows shut, and keep it out of public view.

Last edited by Ether151 (2006-07-14 09:54:52)

Jinto-sk
Laid Back Yorkshireman
+183|6744|Scarborough Yorkshire England

heman6666 wrote:

i go hang myself now
WTF are you on about, there is no proof that your statement is true, please post stats that prove what you have just said to be true.

Camp' Gays just really annoy me, I mean is there any need to mince around like a fairy?
fully agree with you dude, it is usually the younger ones that have just come out and want the whole world to know that they are gay

Last edited by Jinto-sk (2006-07-14 09:56:42)

Rosse_modest
+76|6929|Antwerp, Flanders
I can't possibly answer this question, since gay marriage is legal here.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6889|Salt Lake City

Marriage has always been a church sanctioned recognition of a union of a man and woman.  As such, I don't think gay people should be allowed to get married.  I am not a religious person, and don't even like religion, but marriage belongs to them.

With that said, I think they should get a civil union that carries the same legal standing.  This means taxes, making wills, medical decisions, and everything else that come along with a such a relationship; this would include the same process should they decide to disolve the union (a.k.a. get divorced).
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6680|Portland, OR USA
what is the only thing that makes a marriage legal?  Going to the courthouse.  As the US was founded on a seperation of church and state, this solidifies that marriage is a LEGAL institution.  There is a religious ceremony that frequently accompanies it, but that means nothing insofar as the marriage itself is concerned from a position of the state.  You want to keep them out of the church?  That's fine, it's your church do be as judgemental and hypocritical as you please.  Marriage as a legal institution should be blind to any such notion as homosexuality.
gburndred
tiga tiga tiga tiga tiga woods ya'll
+95|6791|Calgary,AB,Canada
2 Gay RCMP officers are getting married.
It says in the paper that they got their man.
Its just sick in my mind, someone else said it in this thread, marriage is between a man and a woman.
But mind you the more gay people there are the better change that the guys get with girls, except for bi guys, the screw everything up.
Trel
+70|6830
Seriously, who the fuck cares?
Good to be back.
Ether151
Banned
+22|6813

puckmercury wrote:

what is the only thing that makes a marriage legal?  Going to the courthouse.  As the US was founded on a seperation of church and state, this solidifies that marriage is a LEGAL institution.  There is a religious ceremony that frequently accompanies it, but that means nothing insofar as the marriage itself is concerned from a position of the state.  You want to keep them out of the church?  That's fine, it's your church do be as judgemental and hypocritical as you please.  Marriage as a legal institution should be blind to any such notion as homosexuality.
So like =TFF=Omen_Natas said does this mean people should have the right to marrie or have a civil union with dogs and/or farm animals?  And the government or Legal Institution or what ever you want to call it is by no means blind so why should we close our eyes for them?  Fuck no we shouldn't it wrong in every sense of the word.

Last edited by Ether151 (2006-07-14 11:44:35)

SFCCDailey
Banned
+106|6868|USA
For all of you that don't have kids I can understand you supporting gay marriage. But how do I explain to my 6 yr old son why his friend from school has two dads and no mother. Kinda hard to explain and personally I don't want to. Not only that, but think about how hard it would be on a child to grow up with two same sex parrents. The child would be teased in school, religious assholes would be a huge problem and it would make having a childhood difficult and not the fun time it is supposed to be. Just my thoughts.
Ether151
Banned
+22|6813

SFCCDailey wrote:

For all of you that don't have kids I can understand you supporting gay marriage. But how do I explain to my 6 yr old son why his friend from school has two dads and no mother. Kinda hard to explain and personally I don't want to. Not only that, but think about how hard it would be on a child to grow up with two same sex parrents. The child would be teased in school, religious assholes would be a huge problem and it would make having a childhood difficult and not the fun time it is supposed to be. Just my thoughts.
Plus 1 for this guy.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6889|Salt Lake City

SFCCDailey wrote:

This is exactly what's wrong with this country.  It's hard to explain, and I don't want to have to do it.  There are a lot of things in life that are hard to explain, that's just life.  You are not doing your kids any service by not wanting to explain something because it's "tough".
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6889|Salt Lake City

Ether151 wrote:

puckmercury wrote:

So like =TFF=Omen_Natas said does this mean people should have the right to marrie or have a civil union with dogs and/or farm animals?  And the government or Legal Institution or what ever you want to call it is by no means blind so why should we close our eyes for them?  Fuck no we shouldn't it wrong in every sense of the word.
Using shit like civil unions with farm animals is the most stupid argument I have seen yet.  No one is talking about interspecies unions.

And the bit about marriage being for reproduction has been shot down as well, because many people can't have kids, or don't have them by choice, and people who aren't married have kids...so marriage is not about making babies.
Havazn
+39|6847|van.ca

puckmercury wrote:

Second that. We are talking about church and state here. In terms of legality and all benefits that come with it through the state, same-sex marriage should be given all the same rights. If the church where the ceremony is held does not want to host it, that is their perogative. But legal rights should equal ALL partnerships. This is not a debate about whether or not homosexuality is 'ok' or not

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard