I only have time to play BF2.8%8% - 5
Screw Crap Box, I'm waiting for PS3.27%27% - 16
Revolution is the right choice.3%3% - 2
What is a XBOX 360?1%1% - 1
Total: 59
cmdwedge
More TK's than you can poke a stick at
+5|6780|Canberra, Australia
Where's the option for 'It's not launched in my country yet, but I will buy it when it comes out'?

Dear America - there is a planet outside your 50 states.
SargeX_au
+29|6723
I refuse to play fps on consoles. But they are good for need for speed, gta3 etc.
MattCicioni
+1|6799|Arizona

cmdwedge wrote:

Where's the option for 'It's not launched in my country yet, but I will buy it when it comes out'?

Dear America - there is a planet outside your 50 states.
Just vote for "I'll but one someday".
Cronjob
+1|6708|Broomfield, Colorado

MattCicioni wrote:

Just a quick question.  To the guys saying too expensive.

How much did it cost for you to buy/build your current PC?

You need to think of it in relative terms, I spent well over 2000 bucks on my current PC, not mention I dump an extra 300 - 400 bucks a year into upgrades - new graphics cards, sounds cards, RAM, monitors, keyboards, mice, etc. etc.

SO, if you compare it with the cost of gaming on a high end PC to the cost of the new XBOX, it's really quite a bargin IMHO.
My current system ran about $3,000 and that's not counting the $3,000 monitor (which was actually for my powerbook). But guess what? When my gaming machines are ready to be retired (which I do about once per year), they still serve a function. My 2ghz athlon, 2gb ram, 256mb geforce 5900 runs as a testbed for my production debian server. The machine before that serves as a gaming box for my brother. The one before that serves as a file and mp3 server. The one before that is at the office and still manages pretty fast compile times (which is why I keep it around). And the one before that served as a counterstrike server until it bit the dust.

In addition, I don't have to pay $60 per game. I can find a lot of games that are cheaper or . .. erm . . free . . . *cough*. And I can do far more on a PC than a console. And most of all, a PC is more comfortable to play at and offers a better variety of games. Try playing Civilization IV or Battlefield2 on a console with a console controller. You'd have as much luck taping two-by-fours to your arms and trying to sign your name.

So yes, my PC gaming probably is more expensive than console gaming would be (though I did just dump $1,200 on about 45 console games for my brother's PS2 and XBOX last month) -- but the experience is superior. And that is worth it.

Consoles still feel like the domain of the casual gamer, to me. There's nothing wrong with that, but I'm not going to drop $500 on a system with a game or two that I won't even enjoy that much.
Snoogans84
+1|6729
In terms of comfort, I'd rather be laying on the lounge than sitting at a desk, but then I sit behind a computer all day.

The rest are your own opinions, and they are perfectly acceptable, well I'm not going to tell you are wrong anyway.
Earthquake23
+1|6708|Germany
I'll take the XBox 360, cause all the contracts, they've got with game developers are highest quality!
And I've seen what the XBox can do, beside just the console functions and that really impresses me!!!!
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6811|Cologne, Germany

to me, consoles are only good for sports games, jump'n'run and the like. everything else ( specifically FPS ) should be played on PC's. although I will say that back in the days, nothing beat a couple of hours micromachines V3 on a PS2 with 8 controllers...that rocked..

and yes, Golden Eye on the N64 was a hammer game. Split screen 2 on 2, or free for all with some sims ( before those guys were called bots ). co-operative mode is a classic too.
superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6751

I own PC, Xbox and PS2.  Consoles are good for sports games which I am a fan of.  Also you're assured of it working relatively well whereas PC can give you fits sometimes.  PC has a much higher upside...much more depth into the game.  No console game ever holds my attention for that long.  PC games do...

Also, I refuse to play FPS games on consoles...its the biggest travesty in gaming right now.  How the hell can you compare aiming with a mouse with aiming with the game pad?  It sucks.
Snoogans84
+1|6729
I prefer console FPS's, I care more about fun then accuracy.
Milk.org
Bringing Sexy Back
+270|6746|UK

Prodie wrote:

RDMC wrote:

And XBOX mostly produce shooters.. and face it shooters are crap on a console.. so i use the Nintendo.. and play Mario! yeah.. LOL
James Bond Goldeneye for the N64 was easily, hands down, the best game ever made!
Like HL2 on the PC? Think the source engine owns? Love Goldeneye for the N64?

These guys are making an exact replica of Goldeneye for the PC goldeneye for the PC using the source engine looke fucking awesome tbh.
AlphaDrake
+10|6753|Edmonton
You know whats funny?

Most people just say it sucks because they are PS3 fanboys..well here is some information for you fanboys.

1.) Remember how you made all kinds of jokes about the xbox controller being huge? Look at the PS3 one, bigger.

XBOX 360: Wireless, decent sized.

2.) The beta's they sent to video game developers? Overheated and melted causing them to redesign the air intake.

XBOX 360: Water cooled.

3.) The head of Sony told people to start saving for the console (now due out in 2007) now because with those dream specs (and a video card thats APPARENTLY twice as fast as a Nvidea 7800 GTX ((fastest card on the market now)) ) It's gonna cost about the same as your pc.

XBOX 360: $500 Canadian $400 American

4.) With new patented technology, Sony is only letting games work on teh first PS3 they are played on. Meaning no lending it to your friends, no blockbuster rentals, no sales of used games, if you get a new PS3 (malfuntion, ect), your buying a new copy of the game.

XBOX 360: Works on any Xbox 360 plus a removable hard drive

5.) PS3 Lineup = shit

XBOX 360: Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion, DOA 4, Call of Duty 2, Kameo, PGR  (and thats just in the first 2 months of release).  Upcoming: Halo 3, Fable 2, ect.

6.) PS3 Online: Not happening

XBOX 360: Best online capabilities,  interface, and number of games ever on a console.

I'm all for playstations (own one myself) but I hate fanboys that say the Xbox and Xbox 360 sucks because they only love Playstation and Nintendo. The Xbox beats the PS2 in game quality, owns them in specs, best online play
MattCicioni
+1|6799|Arizona
Check this out:

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=2005-11-04

Speaks volumes of the Sony online strategy vs. the Microsoft strategy.  Bottom line:  No unified online service from Sony.

That means, it will work just like Sony's current system... meaning that each game with have it's own interface, username and login to go online with.  Which means you have to learn and setup each game independently when you play a different game.  Kind of pain in the Ass.  I'm sure Sony has a great system in the PS3... (speculation based on the MGS4 trailer).  But I do think their online strategy is severly lacking.

And I'm pretty sure everyone here prefers to play certain games such as FPS online against other humans...

Single player is great and all, but the satisfaction of fraggin a real human is X10 of killing a bot.

Seriosuly though, I think the most exciting thing is the "Gamer Score"... basically, all XBOX 360 games will give out 1000 gamer points (In any manner that the developer sees fit).  You earn these points by completing certain things in the game.  These points go into your gamer score so you can compare yourself against other players.  And since everyone on this site likes stats (why else would you be here) you'll all probbaly like that feature too. 

Microsofts system is going to allow for online rankings and built in ladder systems to track competition....

Sure you have to pay for it, but I don't mind, someone has to pay those poor programmers.
-Matt
The Soup Nazi
+18|6757|North Lauderdale, FL
since i just built a new game PC and put myself into another $2500 of debt, i don't know if i'm going to be buying an xbox 360 just yet.  my old xbox is sitting collecting dust in my television cabinet...i haven't played anything on it for about 6 months.  the last game i played all the way through was Fable.  or maybe it was Ninja Gaiden.  anyways, COD2 looks pretty good, though....

the only reason i'd spring for one is for the multiplayer games.  having a few friends over and playing 4 (or more if they bring their xbox's over with televisions) is fun stuff.  it's much harder for me to lug my PC and display over to a friend's house (or for them to bring their's to me)

Cronjob, i hate you.  i have the 23" cinema display and wished i would've waited to get the 30".  when i got my 23", i didn't have a video card that could power the 30".  now that i have dual 7800GT's in SLI, i could.  argh...  anyways, with a student discount you can get one from apple.com (or an apple store) for $2399 now.  mmmm....
The Soup Nazi

MattCicioni wrote:

...someone has to pay those poor programmers.
you do realize that software and game developers are very well paid, right?  senior Java developers start around $80,000 - $90,000 / year.  :p
MattCicioni
+1|6799|Arizona

The Soup Nazi wrote:

MattCicioni wrote:

...someone has to pay those poor programmers.
you do realize that software and game developers are very well paid, right?  senior Java developers start around $80,000 - $90,000 / year.  :p
Yea, I was being sarcastic.
MattCicioni
+1|6799|Arizona
Damn, I picked up a copy of Ninja Gaiden for my XBOX.  I dunno, for some reason, I thought that was a really hard game, I couldn't get past the first boss.  It seemed like a good game, just too hard for me.... Maybe I am loosing my skills...
[1stSSF]=Nuka=
Banned
+23|6720|PDX Metro Area, OR, US, SOL
Why waste my timeon XBOX360? I've got superior PCs...
MattCicioni
+1|6799|Arizona

[1stSSF]=Nuka= wrote:

Why waste my timeon XBOX360? I've got superior PCs...
A system doesn't have to have the best specs to have fun games for it.  Just look at any of the older systems out right now, sure, the specs are not "cutting edge", but do they not have tons of fun games on them to play?  I'll say it again, you play games, not systems.
The Soup Nazi

MattCicioni wrote:

Damn, I picked up a copy of Ninja Gaiden for my XBOX.  I dunno, for some reason, I thought that was a really hard game, I couldn't get past the first boss.  It seemed like a good game, just too hard for me.... Maybe I am loosing my skills...
no, it was a very difficult game.  i wasted 2 perfectly good controllers on that evil fiend woman boss about 1/2 way through the game.  i think i fought her at least 20 times before i beat her.  the problem was that i had used up all of my potions right before the save point where you fight her.  so everytime i loaded, i had 75% health and no potions...  ungh.

after i finished it on medium difficulty (which took forever), i was awarded the opportunity to play it on hard and very hard.  i put the disc back in the case and gave up before i even tried it.  i felt like i had accomplished enough...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard