Croak
+11|6775|San Marcos, CA
Well, if you really want cheap kills, you don't even need the sniper rifle..just ping a smoking chopper with your pistol..the last person to shoot something that goes boom gets the kill.
v1l2u5
+1|6748

Croak wrote:

Well, if you really want cheap kills, you don't even need the sniper rifle..just ping a smoking chopper with your pistol..the last person to shoot something that goes boom gets the kill.
I do that alot..

BTW great post on AA..
Cut Throat
+-1|6756|Gold Coast,Australia
great post mate, i rememebr one time me n my clan mate were trying to get the attack chopper when i missed out i pulled out my pistol and shot it in anger, had no health so 2 teamkills to my total
(A.C.T)Mercenary
+0|6735|Ontario
Sick tutorial, i personaly suck at AA, it was hard for me to get the basic AA badge
DrDestruction
Utilityman
+1|6748

(A.C.T)Mercenary wrote:

Sick tutorial, i personaly suck at AA, it was hard for me to get the basic AA badge
Why?  All you have to do is sit in one for 3 minutes lol.
[PHPR]-SpecialOps
+18|6751|Your six is my twelve
My personal favorite site is seeing a chopper get bombed in mid air, one hit kill obviously, and it looks cool cause you see the regular bomb affect come out of the chopper,  I.E. if you bomb a chopper over concrete, blocks of concrete will fly out of it.  Always a good laugh to see that.
Possum61
+9|6718|Philly PA USA
Very well put Croak That is the way that i play on the carrier, But for reson I get kicked from a server for keeping the AA maned, And I do not under stand that. One would think that your team would want someboby to keep the carrier protected

Last edited by Possum61 (2005-11-05 12:01:15)

Lazarus Tag'lim
Have Wrench, Will Travel
+1|6750|Alabama Coast, USA

Stoned_Smurfz wrote:

people who cant shoot bomb stingers
they do it to me all the time and usually the bombs fly over my head and miss
but them people r easy to shoot with stingers poor people who cant fly good...
Hrm... that's odd...  I guess I'm reversed.  I can shoot, but I can't bomb, lol.  Probably 90% of my air-to-air kills are with the cannons (I shoot missiles, and they just miss, turn some random direction, and hit a friendly on the other side of the map)...  but I still haven't quite gotten the art of the arc of the bombs (though I can get a kill, from time to time).

As for mobile AA, I can't stand the MEC version...  you've got that big knob in the front of the turret blocking your view (yeah, REAL nice when a spec ops is coming at you), and you can barely see the body (for me, that makes it much harder to drive).  I think when it's straight, you can barely see the tips of the headlights.  The Linebacker is much easier to maneuver and defend.
T1mbrW0lf
+2|6766|Eastern PA

Lazarus Tag'lim wrote:

As for mobile AA, I can't stand the MEC version...  you've got that big knob in the front of the turret blocking your view (yeah, REAL nice when a spec ops is coming at you), and you can barely see the body (for me, that makes it much harder to drive).  I think when it's straight, you can barely see the tips of the headlights.
That "big knob" is a RADAR dish - and any obstruction to vision of ground "targets" simply reflects the fact that it's supposed to be a mobile AA unit, and not a "big machine gun" for ground defense . . .

Learn to drive with the turret shifted slightly to one side, which will also be a useful technique for avoiding "false locks" from heat sources like the gas fire towers; and practice driving while scanning the sky, since the operative term in "mobile AA" is mobile. You'll gradually aquire a sense for needed clearance from surrounding obstacles without having to look directly at them; and you don't want to get yourself into tight areas anyway, since that severly limits your maneuver options (and just makes you a target).

There are few situations more annoying than getting base-raped by heli aggressors while some moron is using the anti-air asset(s) for a personal taxi or to chase dismounted troops. If you've already spotted a Spec-Ops "threat", either out-run them or drive over them.

Last edited by T1mbrW0lf (2005-11-07 08:59:37)

Stogle
+0|6709
you guys are gonna hate me for saying this but i love the linebacker not as just AA.  its smaller and faster than the lav-25 so its wonderful as an anti-personnel weapon.  on maps like daqing oilfields where there are so many obstacles to fly around and dodge missles, i hold off and just piss jets and helis off with the lock tone.  if done right the AA esp the linebacker can take out enemy armor and still live.

my point is that AA isnt just good at killing aircraft but also is a good all-around vehicle as well.
GK_Jonezer
+0|6714|Seattle
I have decided to go for my veteran AA badge and have found some tricks with mobile AA. Park them up against a crane or tall structure and you are much harder to take out as a crane will block most bombs and missiles.

Like sniping you find sweet spots on maps where you can be hidden and also gain good coverage of flags and common flight routes. Once you take a pilot out be sure to move cause you know that guy's pissed and coming back for blood.

Anyway my big complaint about the mobile AA is that despite the radar dish on them - they dont have radar on the mini map. Most of my deaths come due to stuff coming up behind me and am unable to hear them over my engine noise until its too late. I feel that radar would really help even things up a bit for these poor guys.

Also the power of the tunguska cannons is fairly low - It sure takes alot of hits to down a chopper even when its already smoking.
Hr_Amdi
+0|6731|Denmark
Jolly good post dude!!!
pogled
+0|6748|Europe
A post very well done!

AA Would be much more fun if the fixed the missle lock-on. Maybe old stinger modelles were as crappy as "simulated" (Ha-Ha!) in BF2. Modern day MANPADS with IR-seekers are all-aspect weapons (they can lock on reagardless of the angle they face the aircraft, somte missiles even combine IR seekers with methods of digital image recognition). So no more shooting "up the tailpipe" (althoug your rigth about it's mode of operation in BF2) because it drastically limits its range (6000m for a modern "Mistral"), given that a jet is flying away from you with about 220m/s.

To avoid countermeassures modern missles like the aforemeantioned  "Mistral" mechanically restirct the field of view of its seeker after lock-on and getting airborne. Avoids flares and risk of locking-on to a friendly. This is aided by a computer making his calcualtions not only with the hottest heat source (flare) but with the most likly (temperature + shape).

If you maybe had a try at a RL simulator (or a training missile with working acquistion system and an aircraft at hand) you know what i mean. Though firing while a "blue" jet in in the FOV is hardly apreciated in peacetime training. But since BF2 has a very limited area of operations usually can't be avoided. It's still a game at the end. Why they put in the instant "lock-on-to-friendlies" I dont know. Would be ok if it happend every now and then but not half of the time. Better to put it out - more people would play AA and this little lack of realism wouldn't get noticed with all the other (justified) simplifications that are necessarry to make it a FPS-game not the M$FLight Simulator adapted to Modern Warfare.
[C4]LostMonkey
+0|6723|Norway

Horseman 77 wrote:

Agreed, They gotta be a bit dumb to hang there and get chewed up by a .50bmg { as it takes a bit } but it does feel good to get one.
If you hit it only takes one overheat.
[C4]LostMonkey
+0|6723|Norway

Stogle wrote:

you guys are gonna hate me for saying this but i love the linebacker not as just AA.  its smaller and faster than the lav-25 so its wonderful as an anti-personnel weapon.  on maps like daqing oilfields where there are so many obstacles to fly around and dodge missles, i hold off and just piss jets and helis off with the lock tone.  if done right the AA esp the linebacker can take out enemy armor and still live.

my point is that AA isnt just good at killing aircraft but also is a good all-around vehicle as well.
Amen bro! I LOVE the Linebacker as an armor
SodaBob
+-1|6813|Indiana, US

$toneyhigh wrote:

i love it when a heli smokes alot and i kill them with my .50 sniperrifle
did it 3 times and it whas verry nice to see 2 guys get killed in their heli by a sniper
Heck, I've done that to low flying choppers with a single shotgun blast.  At least twice.

But back more on topic, I still call BS on the AA in this game.  I was in one of the AA stations on the aircraft carrier (Wake Island '07), trying out the suggestions made on the original post.  There was an enemy helicopter coming in, angling toward me to shoot rockets at me.  I let loose with the gatling cannon and, quickly getting a VERY good solid lock, fired all 8 missiles... and nothing.  I'm sure I hurt him with the cannon (I couldn't miss, he was coming slowly straight at me), but none of the missiles hit him, and he did NOT fire flares.  He was very slow moving, coming straight for me and he couldn't have been 100 yards from the deck of the carrier.  And then, of course, the cannon locked up.  Only after all that did he finally get a bead on me and fire - and then I died.

L.A.M.E. Lame.

I did get my vengeance when I spawned (my only AA kill in 4 rounds of trying), so I hurt him badly with the cannon, but I simply can't imagine an easier target for the AA on the carrier, and yet still couldn't get him.  BS, I say.

As an aside, I kept having the missiles IN FLIGHT lock onto friendly targets either out of sight or 90 degrees off screen, and I'd get team vehicle damage.  Another BS aspect of the AA that pretty much tells me to give up (much like idiots who run over their own team's landmines, then punish for it, make me not want to play Engineer).

Bob.

Bob.
Adelphi
+8|6711|Long Island, NY

$toneyhigh wrote:

i love it when a heli smokes alot and i kill them with my .50 sniperrifle
did it 3 times and it whas verry nice to see 2 guys get killed in their heli by a sniper
I had something close to this last night.  I was up in a smoke stack in the PLA oil field map when I saw a BH pilot cappin' a flag below me.  So when he turned his nose to me I shot him once through the glass and killed him.  What a great moment that was, heh.

Great thread, tons of info here!

Last edited by Adelphi (2005-11-17 17:07:11)

he_who_says_zonk
+17|6690
It's a good guide, I gotta say, the AA players out there certainly need it. When I fly, I either get shot down, or crash, I can't recall the last time I was taken out by AA. Most of the time, I don't even need to deploy flares.
onebadengineer
+0|6675
This post should be immediatly removed from this forum and Croak ban from BF2 for life.....
Dr.Death
+0|6636
hitting the chopper pilot with the .50 rifle is one of the most rewarding shots in my opinion.

best way is to wait at the helipad and take ur shot while the turbines are warming up. Really pisses them off.
|DL|Krokkieboy
+16|6646
Pilots aren't superman..????

Erm only the crappy pilots are not supermen I guess

I always check my back sides etc , actually i more often check my back then my front(and yes I am a paranoid) LOL..

AA's are doomed when they meet a good pilot ,actually the most times i get shot down, Is friendly AA , Friendly planes  or a teammate flying into me (offcourse they say otherwise)

Anyways a good post to take out newbie pilots

More cannon fodder in AA's ..I love it
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6642|Colorado
How about this, wait till the new patch comes out that fixes the aa lock & have the armor lessened on all air.
Bet everyone will be a pro with aa then.
Dr.Death
+0|6636
how about mobile aa / stingers ?

u would have 2 limit their use though, maybe even giving only one per resupply and still needing 2 to destroy target.

support would be the best class i guess
[pt] KEIOS
srs bsns
+231|6623|pimelteror.de
thanks for that guide to clean the skies from all those jets and helis.... or to just get better chances trying it! ;-)

with your tips in mind, i´ll return to kubra dam, which i avoided because of too many jets and helis.
FangStorm
+0|6744
An excellent post.  I read the post and have applied these techniques and find that I'm getting almost 50% more kills than deaths as I used to.  Thanks for the great post.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard