PitViper401
The Magnetic Bullet Attractor
+31|6718|Illinois
I'm currently deciding between two routers, right now, I was wondering if anyone had any advice on which to get

D-Link DGL-4300
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6833127158

or

NetGear RangeMax 240
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp … 0980222653

any help would be appreciated (and rewarded)
IBKCKNURASS
Corrosion Inhibitor
+172|6757
thats pretty expensive. I usually pay around 40 or 50 bux and i wont get one unless it has a rebate(mail in or other wise). do a Foogle search for both models.
http://froogle.google.com/
Widjerd
I like sausage
+18|6560|Bristol UK
most routers work the same, just look for the cheapest netgear , lynksys or dlink router you can find
J3ST3R
+59|6533|Vancouver, Canada
I have had a 10$(canadian) d-link for about a year and have had no problems
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6538|Montucky
i've had a 2 year old 20 dollar (USA) DLINK and haven't had a problem with it..
[TUF]Whiskey_Oktober
mmmm...Toasty!
+91|6741|Oregon

[1FR]S3v3N wrote:

i've had a 2 year old 20 dollar (USA) DLINK and haven't had a problem with it..
same...got mine on black friday at frys.

you only need the high speed crap (mbits, etc) if you have a frikkin fast connection...mine is 54mbts and i have a 20mb down/ 5mb up connection and i have no issues...if you have the ueber FiOS, then you probably have the money for a high-speed and the almost-need.
[FHF]MattyZ
What the Deuce?
+29|6681|Washington
Hardly anyone in the states has above a 6mb connection at home.  Depending on how many computers in the house you have, any router will do.

If you have 2 or more pc's, and you will be swapping files back and forth between the two, then go with the higher 54mb router.

If you will be using a wireless router to connect your pc to the net, and do a lot of gaming, then go with the higher 54mb router.

Either way, you will not need to spend over $75 for a decent router.
4_Phucsache
Property of BF2s©
+112|6602|Brisbane Australia
My old router (died about 3 months ago) was a cheap thinga me doodle from Bangkok which was around about $6 Australian. It lasted over 2 years so i will never go buying anything too expensive after that.
PitViper401
The Magnetic Bullet Attractor
+31|6718|Illinois
thank you to whoever left me the karma, unfortunately, I don't know who you are, so I can't reciprocate
[FHF]MattyZ
What the Deuce?
+29|6681|Washington
Welcome
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6546|Portland, OR USA
Linksys (as a division of Cisco) has exceptional routers for a good price as well.  I would absolutely recommend a 54 (802.11G) router for wireless connections.  It DOES make a huge difference not only in connection speed but signal strength and persistance.
T0rr3nt
+54|6596|Michigan
i have a 5+ year old 150+ dollar linksys

lawl
slo5oh
+28|6680

T0rr3nt wrote:

i have a 5+ year old 150+ dollar linksys
lawl
Yep!  I still have a wired single connection (no 4 port switch) linksys that I left at my folks house when I moved out.  I upgraded them to wireless about a year ago so the old wired one is sitting in a box somewhere now.

Linksys, D-link, Netgear, Cisco, etc are all good firewall/routers.  Stay away from belkin.  For the price the airlink+ stuff from Fry's does its job very well.  When you can get a mimo router for $29 and a mimo card for $19, I'd say you're getting a good deal.
xGBlitzkrieg
The Lazy Genius
+14|6555|USA, CA
Netgear, i love mine same one!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard