un3asy
+0|6822
I hate to see the commander come rushing up in front of me with hes G3 in full action killing people.
The commander should be lying hidden in their homebase, commanding the troops were to attack. Dropping supplys, airstriking and that kind of work.
I say; remove their ability to choose weapon. Just give them a pistol, spanner and binocular. Then they can do their work. If someone comes blowing up our arillery, in worse case he can go out gun them down with the pistol and then repair them. But still, that aint hes work.
cmdwedge
More TK's than you can poke a stick at
+5|6850|Canberra, Australia
I disagree. I love commanding, and tend to stay back in my main spawn as an Engi if anything needs to be repaired, and play the entire map from the Command screen.

However.

What if it's a 16 player server? You should then be a combat commander - react to requests by hiding, dropping the required stuff, then back into combat. I do, however, hate seeing a Commander just sitting in a jet or tank, and not moving. I mean, he's doing the right thing by being in his Commander screen and working the map, but it's a waste of perfectly good Armor that your own team could put to good use. Man a mounted TOW or MG if you must.
Milk.org
Bringing Sexy Back
+270|6816|UK
Yeh it's made worse when you're asking for supply drops and he's too busy setting them down near his friggin M1A2 for his own comfort and you can't get enough people to mutiny.
Foo-Fighter(UK)
Boom...Headshot!
+0|6883|Sunderland, UK
When i command, i snipe. If anything needs repairing ask a Team-mate or drop supplies on them.

Playing this way to get the best of both worlds

Foo-Fighter

Last edited by Foo-Fighter(UK) (2005-10-26 03:49:45)

Darth_Fleder
Mod from the Church of the Painful Truth
+533|6846|Orlando, FL - Age 43
I agree, seeing commanders flying choppers, jets, or running around in combat and not making use of there assets can be extremely frustrating. Butl un3asy, try defending your assets with just a pistol and knife. If I am in hiding at a critical flag as commander or are near my assets, sometimes it is necessary to defend it or them and I would prefer to do so with more than just a knife and a wrench.
https://bf2s.com/player/44571234/sig.png
https://bf2s.com/player/44571234/awards.jpg

Last edited by Darth_Fleder (2005-11-01 16:24:07)

Eckzack
The east-german Fuxxer
+37|6884|Germany / Saxony
Folks, when I play cmd i stay hiding and command the team. But when the team is to silly: i.e. donĀ“t listen to orders or likes more to spawnkill or statspushing instead of capturing some flags, then I must do theese important jobs on my own. Because loosing sucks...
https://bf3s.com/sigs/384f5f7318c23ecb5909f14b157d6d31e8b5a332.png

IRNV-Field 3... New School Shit...
SERIES7
+-1|6823|Portland OR
Some severs Iv played on ban and kick if the commander is in action.  When I play as commander I like to hide and do my thing.  But if I am approched when in hiding I will defend myself and try and repair stuff as well.   I don't get into vehicles or planes and give aid as best as I can.  But once I was cussed out for not doing this or artillary an area as my guys arrived not my fault if ya dumb A$$ didn't heed my incoming warnings..   But all in all do what ya got to to win.
Darth_Fleder
Mod from the Church of the Painful Truth
+533|6846|Orlando, FL - Age 43
You have to have a thick skin when it comes to people cussing you out when you know you are doing the right thing.
nzjafa
+2|6805
you can never please everyone. if the guy thinks youre a moron for not doing this or not doing that, fuck him. i doubt he could do a better job.
DTAC
+9|6780
Play a Spec-Ops cpmmander and C4 the flag if it can be captured. If you see someone sniffing around your home base flag then simply hit the detonator.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6814|Noizyland

Commanders flying pisses me off. Pisses me off more when they insist that they can commande and fly at the same time. Maybe if their crew, but not bloody pilots!

Sometimes I take an active role in commanding. I make sure never to attack control points as such. I just basicly walk around with the bulk of my army and send specific groups off to do certain things. Kind of like being the squad leader of a really big squad.

I never try to do any rambo shit when I'm commander though. Only if it's Dire Straits, (Sultans of Swing,) do I ever bring out the weaponry and defend control points etc.

Mostly though, I find a nice quiet spot out of everyone's way and rain artillery down on the enemy.

You're right about needing to have thick skin. People will always die and blame commanders. those teamkilled by friendly artillery often go straight to mutiny against you. Mostly though, nothing happens, as only three other people vote yes, and they only did it because they forgot which button is no.
I reckon their should be a way to punish mutineers... then again, you'd have the same problem as you do with teamkill punishing.
"I mutineed against this dingus for good reasons, he's a crappy commander and he insists on teamkilling. Yet, people didn't notice the vote thing so I got punished."

Last edited by Tyferra (2005-11-15 13:54:00)

[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Rotter
+0|6806|United States
Actually, I usually run around when I'm commander. However, I don't fly or something like that. If I am commander, and I'm fighting at the same time, when someone needs something, or I know I need to do an artillary strike, I get out of the battle, and do what needs to be done.

-The RottingOrange
chitlin
Banned
+36|6802
Thats bullshit, commanders were never intended to just hide and command the enitre time. Only a retard requires the enitre time to fufill the duties that are simple half second clicks. If someone asks for supplies or uav you simply caps right click accpet it takes 1 second, same with arty the ONLY time that you should hide somewhere is when you scan and spot and that does not need to be done constantly. Now if you want to bitch cuz hes not doing his job thats great, but saying the commander should allways hide is a waste of time and bullshit imo. Plus people allways blaming the commander is for retards, its not that critical, its certainly helpfull but how many times have you won without having a commander at all ? .. myself dozens of times ..
nzjafa
+2|6805

Darth_Fleder wrote:

I agree, seeing commanders flying choppers, jets, or running around in combat and not making use of there assets can be extremely frustrating. Butl un3asy, try defending your assets with just a pistol and knife. If I am in hiding at a critical flag as commander or are near my assets, sometimes it is necessary to defend it or them and I would prefer to do so with more than just a knife and a wrench.
http://bf2s.com/player/44571234/sig.png
http://bf2s.com/player/44571234/awards.jpg
lol i use my pistol more than any other weapon most of the time
randomfire1977
+1|6773|Florida
I think if more people actually listend to commanders commands... and followed through on their commands then commanders would not have to be so involved in the combat. 

If you look at real military most commanders are in a nicer place then those that are in combat.  On the bridge of a ship, at a base that is well defended... etc.  but in this game everyone is out to get points and kills abandoning the commander to defend himself from artillery strikes by the opposing enemy.  I stay under hanger bays or in tanks... but since it is difficult to get in a building and remain hidden from the enemy... commanders need to keep moving.  That solid red dot that remains in the same spot is always one of two things.  the commander or some guy who is in the bathroom and is just standing at the base.  in both cases easy knife kills if it is reported to the right people.

people please listen to the good commanders.  It may take some time to learn if they are good or not but if they tell you a flag is empty... or to go to a flag it might be good to go there.
... sometimes It is so silly it is rediculous.  both teams fighting over one flag when I tell my team to forget that flag and go for the 4 other flags that have none to about 2 enemies at them.

I only deny the commander if I have to defend a spot or if I see 3 other squad leaders going for the same spot.  unless that is the only spot left.

Defending points is just as important and rewarding as capturing flagpoints.  remeber that.

*steps of soap box*

Another random post by randomfire1977

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard