kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6519|Southeastern USA
I'm in the US, ours is tomorrow, July 4th, the day we celebrate the signing of our Declaration of Independence, the sigining of our Constitution, and our revolutionary war against the Brits, not necessarily all things that occurred on July 4th, that's just when we celebrate. What's yours about? I ask cuz not every nation had to fight another for freedom, for instance what does England celebrate? I know France has July 16th, Bastille day isn't it? But what about Canada?
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6780|Nårvei

Well, happy 4th of July tomorrow

Norway - 17th of May

Last edited by Varegg (2006-07-03 07:09:03)

Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Schlusi=[GER]
+11|6491|4856 Karkand,Hellstreet 4
Hi folks,

we german´s are celebrating the "German Unification Day" on 3rd Oktober. On this day the Berlin wall fell.

Happy July 4th!
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
Rocktoberfest!!!!

Varegg wrote:

Norway - 17th of May
what happened on the 17th of may?

Last edited by kr@cker (2006-07-03 07:19:41)

Schlusi=[GER]
+11|6491|4856 Karkand,Hellstreet 4

kr@cker wrote:

Rocktoberfest!!!!
well this is a whole world celebrating day ...he
Prodie
Moderator Emeritus
+270|6744|Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada day was 2 days ago.
malarkeycoon
+16|6610|Cardiff
New Zealands is "Waitangi Day" and its on the 6th of February.  Waitangi is a small town in the Bay of Islands (3 hours north of Auckland). Waitangi day 'celebrates' the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi, NZ's founding document, signed somewhere around 1840.
JudgeDredd1824
+32|6624|Wigan an proud of it mate !
November 5th, when we burn effegies of Guy Fawkes on huge bonfires for trying to blow up parliament hundreds of years ago.
Don't you just love ritualistic sacrifices

Burn ya bastard, burn............
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
what country? I remember the name but can't remember if he's Irish, Scottish or Martian or what..
CameronPoe
+2,925|6525
We have two national days really - St. Patrick's Day, 17th of March, and Easter Monday.

We get Paddy's Day in honour of the fact that he was the patron saint of violent alcoholics.

Most people in other countries probably get Easter Monday off anyway but it has special significance for us given that the Easter Rising of 1916 against the brits took place on that day. It was the rebellion that ultimately led to us kicking the brits out of our country (well the majority of it!).
bigp66
+63|6518|memphfrica-memphis,TN
Brazil didn't fight for their independence....they won it through diplomacy and something with someone in Portugal's government.
JohnClark
+5|6556|Groningen-The Top of Holland
Our national day is Queensday on the 30th April.

Also the 5th May, when we were liberated from the Germans (tnx USA, Britain & Canada).

Last edited by JohnClark (2006-07-03 08:01:22)

ValentijnR
+18|6523
us dutchies have always been free so we just party everyday

we do have may 5th... its about world war 2... celebrating the defeat of deutschland/germany..

Last edited by ValentijnR (2006-07-03 08:00:29)

tvmissleman
The Cereal Killer
+201|6628| United States of America
the 4th AKA PYRO MANIAC DAY!!!!
BTW IM A PYRO!!!!!

Last edited by tvmissleman (2006-07-03 08:01:40)

Coolbeano
Level 13.5 BF2S Ninja Penguin Sensei
+378|6733

kr@cker wrote:

I know France has July 16th, Bastille day isn't it? But what about Canada?
July 14th isnt it?

Yeah well for Canada it's July 1st (mentioned) but here in Thailand I have no freaking clue.

okay, i asked around... there isn't one. The closest thing to a National Holiday is the Coronation day where they celebrate the King's inauguration. Just last month was the king's 60th.
dodge_this(fr)
Raving Rabbit
+26|6659|The Hague, Netherlands
France is July 14th, the day when French population took the Bastille....
JudgeDredd1824

kr@cker wrote:

what country? I remember the name but can't remember if he's Irish, Scottish or Martian or what..
Jolly old England my friend

Remember, remember, the 5th of November, Gunpowder, treason and plot...

Or something like that.
Zeppo Johnson
+47|6682|Finland
Finland     December 6     Independence from Russia in 1917.

And this was copied from Wikipedia's Independence day article. You can see many countries independence days there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence_day
Jinto-sk
Laid Back Yorkshireman
+183|6561|Scarborough Yorkshire England
We don't have a day to celebrate the birth of our nation (we're that old no one can remember). the only thing we do have his a night where we celebrate the failed atempt to blow up the houses of parliment.  We celebrate the important (70th, 80th etc) Queens B'day and Coronation (not that we get the day off work so why bother).  The others are religious days.
Jinto-sk
Laid Back Yorkshireman

JudgeDredd1824 wrote:

kr@cker wrote:

Or something like that.
Remember, remember, the 5th of November, Gunpowder, treason and plot
I see no reason why gunpowder treason should ever be forgot
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
wiki's not as personal as getting a response direct from someone you interact with on semi-daily basis, that why I wanted a thread on it.........

wait...why is a Finn getting in on my election? lol
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6780|Nårvei

kr@cker wrote:

Rocktoberfest!!!!

Varegg wrote:

Norway - 17th of May
what happened on the 17th of may?
Thats our day of constitution from 1814 - later on we had our union desolved with the Swedes in 1905, but that date aint a bank holiday like 17th of may is .....
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
JudgeDredd1824

Jinto-sk wrote:

JudgeDredd1824 wrote:

kr@cker wrote:

Or something like that.
Wasn't commenting that we should mate... though next time it would be C4, and that simply doesn't rhyme.. Ah well
KillerKane0
+53|6615|Calgary, Alberta
Alberta should make July 1 into "National Energy Policy Memorial Day", to remember the day that the Federals under the ruthless heartless tyrant Pierre Trudeau (spit - may he burn in hell) decided that Alberta had too much money.  He thought he was taking away some excess corporate profits, but the collateral costs - 300,000 innocent people who were thrown out of work, lost their homes and/or businesses - did not deter him in the slightest.  It shattered any concept of an equal Confederation.  If they try it again, and Chretien came very close with Kyoto, we'll secede. 

Fortunately an Albertan is now PM - Mr. Harper has done a fine job easing tensions between the provinces and with the United States.  So maybe there is a reason to celebrate Canada day after all.
Jinto-sk
Laid Back Yorkshireman

JudgeDredd1824 wrote:

Jinto-sk wrote:

JudgeDredd1824 wrote:

Or something like that.
Wasn't commenting that we should mate... though next time it would be C4, and that simply doesn't rhyme.. Ah well
No - that is the last line of the rhyme.
Forget it for all I care Guy Fawkes Night is only fun when your a kid, now it is an excuse for your GF to drag you away from the pc lol

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard