Hawk390
+27|6660|Melbourne, Australia
Why do people follow the tennants of relgion, and why do people like myself refuse to accept that there is something beyond the material world? i myself know why i chose to be an atheist, because i could not accept that there was something else out there, that we were created by a man in the sky or in us all, depending on your take of omnipresence, that we all go to heaven because a 30 something jewish man died on a cross for us.

What i would like to know is why people have chosen there paths. Why do others believe in the divine, and others reject its existence? This thread is purely for people to tell why they believe and why they dont, not to attack each otehrs moral codes or such.

So, where do you stand?
Havazn
+39|6710|van.ca
I, for one, am semi-agnostic. I believe that any possibility of a God, supernatural or even extraterrestrial being could exist however do out right believe in one single being. Sorta part of the 'seeing is believing' crowd. My faith, however, lies in myself and my brothers. I believe mankind creates miracles everyday and we have the power in ourselves to make more happen.

Last edited by Havazn (2006-07-01 00:32:54)

ATG
Banned
+5,233|6546|Global Command
Its largely predisposistion. Like sexual orientation.
Things just feel right, and it becomes a belief system.
Mackaronen
+18|6653|Uppland, Sweden
I think it has much to do with the way we were raised up. No one in my family is believing in anything. Hence i do not believe. I do not even know anyone that visits any type church regularly.
Then again if somebody proved to me that there is a god, i would not believe, but know there is a god.
But personally i think having a belief stands in the way of development of our society. At least Islam and Christianity. But believing is for may a way to get strength in times of evil.
Edit: Spelling

Last edited by Mackaronen (2006-07-01 03:32:51)

jimmanycricket
EBC Member
+56|6672|Cambridge, England
i am a christian and was bvrought into a christian family, but i think that even if i wasnt raised a christian i would never have been an atheist, i think that religion is hard wired into some people, at the moment i find it very hard working out wether beleiving in an after life is the truth or just wishful thinking.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard