pX|SithLord
+22|6725|Germany
As you might have heard, we Germans are currently hosting the 2006 soccer World Cup.

Until now, the reactions from both inside Germany and from other countries are almost 100% positive and Germany's image in the world is getting better. Newspapers all over the world say that we finally managed to get over our "Second World War Trauma", because in the past, we were very careful about being patriotic since we didn't want it to be misunderstood as Nazi style behavior.

But with having the WC in our country, everything seems to be perfect: putting a German flag on top of your car is no longer a problem and everybody can see that we are quite good hosts and that we have learned our lesson from what the generations before had done wrong.

You might ask yourself now: OK, what's the problem then? Everybody is having fun, enjoying the WC, Germany got a better image and so on...

But there is one big problem most of you are not aware of: money.

This WC is more commercial than it has been before, and the greed of the FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association) results in some very disturbing and funny facts you should have known:

First of all, the FIFA had the idea to copyright over 800 words and phrases like “Germany 2006” which are mostly common language. Even combining words like “World Championship” and “2006” was seen as copyright violation. According to the FIFA, if someone used one or more of these phrases, he should pay for it to the FIFA, even it was a magazine or newspaper reporting about the cup. Doesn’t sound like freedom of speech, does it?
Luckily, the press in Germany revolted against this idea and now everybody can use the phrases again unless he wants to advertise a product with them.

But why is the FIFA so strict about using such words? Well, there are 21 big companies like Coca Cola which paid over 790 million Euros to be official sponsors of the WC. In the opinion of the FIFA, they should be the only ones which can advertise their products by referring to the WC. As a result, only official sponsors are allowed to advertise their product in a certain area around each of the stadiums. Unfortunately, some of the local soccer clubs have the name of their sponsor in the title of their stadium, for example, the stadium of our most successful club, Bavaria Munich, is called “Allianz Arena” (“Allianz” is a huge German insurance company). But “Allianz” isn’t one of the official sponsors, thus the big “Allianz” label on top of the stadium had to be removed and all media have to call it “World Cup stadium Munich” instead of saying its real name.

And it’s getting even worse: As you might know, we Germans and especially the Bavarians have very good beer. But if you enter a stadium, you can only buy Budweiser and no local beer, even if there are some of our most important breweries in the same city.
Imagine, we have a WC in Germany which is famous for its beer, but we have to drink American beer! (Nothing against America, but this fact is quite ridiculous.)

The same happens concerning cars: we have famous brands in Germany (Audi, BMW and Mercedes, …) which are known all over the entire world, but an Asian company (Hyundai) paid more money to the FIFA, consequently they are the only car brand which can call itself an official sponsor.
But Hyundai had to face a serious problem: since we are proud of our German cars, there are not many people using ones made in Asia or anywhere else. As a consequence, Hyundai didn’t have enough cars to transport all of the players and VIPs, thus they had to borrow cars from Mercedes / BMW etc which must have large Hyundai logos on them to cover their original brand. 

And finally, my private favorite in the list of the FIFA’s efforts to make as much money as possible:
As mentioned above, our most successful soccer club, Bavaria Munich, has a stadium called “Allianz Arena”. It is quite new and was built by Bavaria Munich and another club from Munich. This last club got into financial trouble, and Bavaria Munich decided to buy this club’s part of the stadium. Now BM is the only owner of the stadium, but as long as there are WC games in it, they have to pay a lot of money to the FIFA to be able to watch the games in their own stadium.
This is pretty much as if you invite some friends to your house and would have to pay them in order to use your own bathroom

The FIFA even made our government pass a law that they don’t have to pay taxes, otherwise they would have withdrawn the WC from Germany. This saves them from spending hundreds of millions of Euros, quite clever…

As you can see, concerning the WC, we are currently in total control of the FIFA. They are making a lot of money, and I just wanted to provide you some background about what’s going on. I hope you find it quite interesting

If you can read German, take a look at the following article:
http://stern.de/wirtschaft/unternehmen/ … l?nv=ct_cb

It describes some of the facts mentioned above, including others I was too lazy to put in this post

Last edited by pX|SithLord (2006-06-23 10:04:07)

eusgen
Nugget
+402|6792|Jupiter
Ouch, fuck FIFA, Germany FTW!
Jinto-sk
Laid Back Yorkshireman
+183|6591|Scarborough Yorkshire England
Disgusting - but that seems to sum up the world today MONEY MONEY MONEY

+1 for that post

Last edited by Jinto-sk (2006-06-23 10:57:24)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

http://football.guardian.co.uk/worldcup … ?gusrc=rss

Here is another story about corporate greed at the WC.
mad scotsman
+177|6608|scotland
there is currently an investigation into FIFA about taking bribes for advertising right .

there is a company in switzerland ( right next to FIFA HQ) that ALWAYS gets the right to sell  advertising to the likes of gillette ect, and the competitors are never getting a look in,

also why do you think their HQ is in switzerland???the contry you go when you want some dodgy business venture or numbered bank accounts.

FIFA is corrupt to the core and has been for many years, soon they will get whats coming to them.

BTW i think Germany is doing a great job at hosting the WC and all our media here in the UK and praising you everyday for it, god job Germany and good luck in the cup.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715
Fifa is teh evil!!!
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6664|NT, like Mick Dundee

FIFA sucks... But Germany is kicking ass on the field at the moment ...

On a more serious note, my father has been questioning the very harsh refs.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6627|IRELAND

pX|SithLord wrote:

But if you enter a stadium, you can only buy Budweiser and no local beer, even if there are some of our most important breweries in the same city.
Imagine, we have a WC in Germany which is famous for its beer, but we have to drink American beer! (Nothing against America, but this fact is quite ridiculous.)
Bud is so bad most americans won't drink it. German Beer is the best in the world and you have to drink Piss in your own country. There would be war if we couldn't get Guinness.
[pt] KEIOS
srs bsns
+231|6652|pimelteror.de
some truths about the worldcup?
- germany will pwn italy and whatever may try to challenge us in the final game!!! w00t!!!!

- jens lehmann is teh rul0r

- miro klose is using an aimbot

- klinsmann should get his commanderpoints x4

- and the netherlands deserved to be sent home! "ohne holland fahren wir nach berlin!"

)
pX|SithLord
+22|6725|Germany
owning Argentina was pretty nice now Italy and perhaps Brazil will face their defeat
BullyBeef31
+11|6574|Good old Blighty
Sepp Blatter is the most corrupt person in world football and is in total charge of it.
Nothing will change as far as driving out the dodgy dealings because everyone who has an interest is being paid off, that is the sole reason football is at the stage it is now, they live to promote the bigger clubs (as they can make the most money) and the smaller, less fashionable clubs get swallowed up by the greedy money men.

There used to be a time when running a football club meant getting results and getting the best players you could to play for you, now it's about how much money you can make, and if you are classed with the likes of Wigan Athletic etc who gatecrash the big money party and are seen as 'unfashionable' then they make damn sure that your stay will be a brief one unless you can keep up with the big bucks that the top teams bring in.
This is exactly why you don't see any 'fairytale' rises in the leagues like you used to a few years back, as these teams are being priced out of the game and as such are being 'kept in their place' to make sure that no-one of too little stature steals a slice of their money cake.

Last edited by BullyBeef31 (2006-06-30 18:02:58)

[pt] KEIOS
srs bsns
+231|6652|pimelteror.de
you´re going home, you´re going home, you´re going - englands going home....three lions on the shirt - now it´s time for crying
DazDazzler
+3|6707|UK

[pt] KEIOS wrote:

you´re going home, you´re going home, you´re going - englands going home....three lions on the shirt - now it´s time for crying
Same old story we loose on the penalty shootout.

I hope that Germany stuff the competion now. But at least there is 1 consolationm, the world cup is coming back to Europe.

Only 2 years to go to the Euro Champs.

I only hope I don't get my days off cancelled because England are playing.

Its such a downer having to work when I could be at the pub downing a pint whilst watching the match
Kaosdad
Whisky Tango Foxtrot?
+201|6678|Broadlands, VA
For some odd reason I feel obliged to apologize to all the folks in Germany for the whole Budweiser thing.  I think that you would find that even Americans who can't spell "football" were shocked to hear that Budweiser was the official beer of the Gernamn hosted World Cup.  So wrong on so many levels.

On another topic, it's about time the world understand that "German = Nazi" is WRONG.  It's like saying all Americans were slave owners, all Japanese were Kamikazi pilots, etc.

Rock on, Germany!  Oh, and thanks for the Scorpions - they were easy to score to!
[pt] KEIOS
srs bsns
+231|6652|pimelteror.de
....what´s the difference between american beer and having sex in a boat?

there is none: both is fuckin close to water

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard