JahManRed
wank
+646|6664|IRELAND

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

does the house of lords do anything other than rubber stamp?
Yeah they block things too, which is quite good cause the Government has come up with some bad ideas over the past few years...
I agree that the house of lords has blocked a few bad policies in its time. But they have also crushed some good ones. These old encrustation's are not voted in by the ppl, but by their fellow lords and peers. Basically its a hangover from the old ruling classes system. It insures that the well to do have the power and last word on most policies approved by our elected government. The current scandal of buying Peerages by donations to a particular political party's election campaigns underlines the flaws in this out dated system.

There's a standing joke that as soon as a politician succumbs to old age and starts dribbling into his Frosties, you do one of two things for him. You make him a Judge or a Peer.
pedigreeuk
I'm English, not British!
+113|6807|Rotherham, England
He He, I got neg'd too! Why did you not leave you're name if you're so proud?

Today 02:08:33      -1      britians future      Scottish and proud! Scotland hates England because of people like you!
Kontrolfreq
+50|6640|Cambridge UK

Spark wrote:

elite wrote:

Kontrolfreq wrote:

@ Elite Isn't it about time you knew how to spell the name of the country you live in?
what you on about fat boy!
BRITAIN, not Britian. Yeesh.
Thanks mate - bit late with my comeback there! (and for the record i have a 32" waist!)
JudgeDredd1824
+32|6690|Wigan an proud of it mate !

JahManRed wrote:

Its not about being British or being a supper power, I don't care for the UK's medaling in world affairs to keep in with the USA. I sat on the fence quite abit up until the war on Iraqi.

Personally I hate the fact that I have to work 55-65 hour weeks to maintain a relatively comfortable lifestyle for my wife and kids who I get to see for 1-2 hours a night to fund the British army on its globe trotting
Erm... its super dude, not supper... I think every country in the world eats supper.

Would you have sat on the fence in WW2 like Ireland did too? I bet not.
I have some great Irish friends but never understood he Irish mentality on world affairs. They seem to have 20/20 vision "with hindsight", but blind as a bat in the present.

By the way, if you want to have even higher taxes, go live in Southern Ireland... Their taxes make the UK taxes too positively low in comparison.

Everyone works long hours and pay their taxes (I do too), some of this goes to pay our troops to keep us safe. You'd be bitching much more if they hadn't fought and died in WW2 (for example) and you would be living in the Irish Province of Greater Germany with Hitler's cousin Fritz as your  Governor.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6664|IRELAND

JudgeDredd1824 wrote:

JahManRed wrote:

Its not about being British or being a supper power, I don't care for the UK's medaling in world affairs to keep in with the USA. I sat on the fence quite abit up until the war on Iraqi.

Personally I hate the fact that I have to work 55-65 hour weeks to maintain a relatively comfortable lifestyle for my wife and kids who I get to see for 1-2 hours a night to fund the British army on its globe trotting
Erm... its super dude, not supper... I think every country in the world eats supper.

I have some great Irish friends but never understood he Irish mentality on world affairs. They seem to have 20/20 vision "with hindsight", but blind as a bat in the present.

By the way, if you want to have even higher taxes, go live in Southern Ireland... Their taxes make the UK taxes too positively low in comparison.

Everyone works long hours and pay their taxes (I do too), some of this goes to pay our troops to keep us safe. You'd be bitching much more if they hadn't fought and died in WW2 (for example) and you would be living in the Irish Province of Greater Germany with Hitler's cousin Fritz as your  Governor.
Firstly Ireland has been a neutral country since its inception. As it was born out of conflict and rife with it for hundreds of years it was decided that we would stay out of wars. Its in the constitution.

Secondly, The south of Ireland may have marginally higher taxes, but the wages and GNP are much much higher than here.

Thirdly, Many many Irish men fought in the 1st and 2nd world war. It was the Ulster rifles that were first over the top at the battle of the somme.Over 200,000 men and women from every region and class in Ireland enlisted during the Great War of whom at least 35,500 were killed The Irish government remained neutral but thousands fought in the British army. So don't give me that shit.

And don't even compare ww2 and Iraqi. WW2 was a result of oppression and invasion. Iraqi was a preemptive war. Totally different.

Ohh and well done on noticing the typo. You are obviously very intelligent.

Last edited by JahManRed (2006-06-28 05:51:37)

DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6582|Doncaster, UK

elite wrote:

what you on about fat boy!
So much for "Debate and Serious Talk". Nice to know the youth of today know how to reason.
mavrick 3399
EA GAMES PATCH EVERYTHING
+102|6578|Doncaster UK
doc you have to remember elite might be a chav if this is true then 'fatboy' could just be one of those hip/street talk words,meaning cool.
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6582|Doncaster, UK
Ah, yes, my apologies. It could translate as "Greetings my good friend!".

ENEMY CHAV SPOTTED!

Back on topic,

As is now the situation in Iraq, how many times must we hear bleeting about "we don't want you in our country so why don't you all just fuck off!".

The simple reason is that we all need each other.

Picture this, you don't want the English in your country in any way. Okay, we'll get out of your country, and throw all of your citizens out of ours. No more Irish builders in London, all the Scots back up above the wall, kick all the illegal immigrants out (although that one's gonna be difficult because our wonderful government doesn't know how many there are let alone where the hell they're holed up).

We'll pull right out of Scotland, and all the money generated by your masive population is sure to keep your country living in the lap of luxury.

Do you get the picture now. It's all too easy to say "We hate the English", but you'd miss us if we were gone!
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6586|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth

JahManRed wrote:

Secondly, The south of Ireland may have marginally higher taxes, but the wages and GNP are much much higher than here.
When yoo say "here" do you mean UK or N.I?  It's just I remember CameronPoe trying to claims R.O.I has a bigger GNP/GDP than the UK and I just hope you're not getting your facts from him....

UK - $ 1,782,000,000,000

ROI - $ 126,400,000,000
=OBS= EstebanRey

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

Ah, yes, my apologies. It could translate as "Greetings my good friend!".

ENEMY CHAV SPOTTED!

Back on topic,

As is now the situation in Iraq, how many times must we hear bleeting about "we don't want you in our country so why don't you all just fuck off!".

The simple reason is that we all need each other.

Picture this, you don't want the English in your country in any way. Okay, we'll get out of your country, and throw all of your citizens out of ours. No more Irish builders in London, all the Scots back up above the wall, kick all the illegal immigrants out (although that one's gonna be difficult because our wonderful government doesn't know how many there are let alone where the hell they're holed up).

We'll pull right out of Scotland, and all the money generated by your masive population is sure to keep your country living in the lap of luxury.

Do you get the picture now. It's all too easy to say "We hate the English", but you'd miss us if we were gone!
I'll say it before anyone else does, but there is a difference between a citizen moving to another country and a government sending an army to claim it.  I do understand what you mean though, I know of several Irish/Scots people who go over my pub and they often make anti-English comments but if you ask them why they are here if they hate it so much, it's you that gets accused of racism......
JahManRed
wank
+646|6664|IRELAND

N.I.   and if I recal he wasn't talking about either GNP or GDP. You can nit pick all you want EstenbanRey, I have had jobs in Tamworth and now N.I and I can tell you, the difference between wages is alot but the taxes are the same. It was perfectly justifiable when the UK was spending millions on policing us, but them days are gone. Thankfully the gap between us and the rest of the UK is slowly closing. Those are the facts. Now go try and twist them.............
JudgeDredd1824

JahManRed wrote:

JudgeDredd1824 wrote:

JahManRed wrote:

Firstly Ireland has been a neutral country since its inception. As it was born out of conflict and rife with it for hundreds of years it was decided that we would stay out of wars. Its in the constitution.

Thirdly, Many many Irish men fought in the 1st and 2nd world war. It was the Ulster rifles that were first over the top at the battle of the somme.Over 200,000 men and women from every region and class in Ireland enlisted during the Great War of whom at least 35,500 were killed The Irish government remained neutral but thousands fought in the British army. So don't give me that shit.

And don't even compare ww2 and Iraqi. WW2 was a result of oppression and invasion. Iraqi was a preemptive war. Totally different.

Ohh and well done on noticing the typo. You are obviously very intelligent.
Deserves a reply I suppose !
1. Neutral - a.k.a. I don't give a damn about anyone else but myself.
If  want to live on this planet, u need to get involved in its affairs.

2. See Esteban's comment.... Well put dude

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

JahManRed wrote:

When yoo say "here" do you mean UK or N.I?  It's just I remember CameronPoe trying to claims R.O.I has a bigger GNP/GDP than the UK and I just hope you're not getting your facts from him....

UK - $ 1,782,000,000,000

ROI - $ 126,400,000,000
3. I have the utmost respect for the troops who served in the first war (if you had actually read my post I deliberately did not mention WW1 for exactly that reason). My own great granddad fought at the Somme side by side with Irish troops, and he won the Military Medal on three occasions no less for his courage.

Lastly, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Hussein invade Kuwait (and tried in Iran) and oppress millions?
The only difference is that we SHOULD have taken the fight to Hitler in 1938. Had we the balls to do so then, perhaps millions of Russian, English, US, Jewish people, Poles (and many many more brave countries who are too numerous to mention.....except Ireland who remained neutral despite a madman trying to take over the world right on your doorstep) would have not been killed & murdered.

Stop blaming everyone else for any troubles you have, take some responsibility for your place on the global stage.

As for the typo.... As my spelling is crap too (and there may be some in this post), I love to mention them to anyone and everyone because it always prompts a reaction, and I can surmise by your reaction that you are probably under 20. Kids these days just can't take criticism. (so I won't mention "you" does not have 2 "o"'s....). Never claimed to be intelligent. Just able to use spell check.

Yo Esteban... cheers bud. I forgot to sign my +1 to ya earlier.. BTW.. great stats dude, u just 1200 or so short of ya Sgt Major.. Go kick some butt and wear that rank with pride.  Looks like ya don't play AF much. You should, your AT stats show u would do great on Harvest or Midnight Sun

Last edited by JudgeDredd1824 (2006-06-28 09:05:06)

JahManRed
wank
+646|6664|IRELAND

JudgeDredd1824 wrote:

As for the typo.... As my spelling is crap too (and there may be some in this post), I love to mention them to anyone and everyone because it always prompts a reaction, and I can surmise by your reaction that you are probably under 20. Kids these days just can't take criticism. (so I won't mention "you" does not have 2 "o"'s....). Never claimed to be intelligent. Just able to use spell check.
That doesn't warrant a response. Debate, not childish insults. You don't address my points, instead you try to make yourself sound intelligent and me stupid by pointing out typos to direct from the fact that you have nothing new to say. Maybe its because I have a life and don't have time to scan my posts for mistakes. Grow up, Don't make assumptions. For the record, I'm not in my twenty's, I wish I still was. Think you have shown your age. You state above that you like to "prompt a reaction" which means you like confrontation, I don't I'm here to debate. And if you want to flame me, PM me, I'm not interested in a public argument or flexing of spelling mussels to impress.

Last edited by JahManRed (2006-06-28 13:15:01)

=OBS= EstebanRey
JahmanRed, do you then think that if the N.I pulled out of the UK you would miracuously get higher wages?  If you do, you know very little about economics.  I have a degree in business if you'd like to ask any questions and before you ask,  yes the rate of inflation in the ROI is higher than the UK.
JudgeDredd1824

JahManRed wrote:

JudgeDredd1824 wrote:

That doesn't warrant a response. Debate, not childish insults. You don't address my points, instead you try to make yourself sound intelligent and me stupid by pointing out typos to direct from the fact that you have nothing new to say. Maybe its because I have a life and don't have time to scan my posts for mistakes. Grow up, Don't make assumptions. For the record, I'm not in my twenty's, I wish I still was. Think you have shown your age. You state above that you like to "prompt a reaction" which means you like confrontation, I don't I'm here to debate. And if you want to flame me, PM me, I'm not interested in a public argument or flexing of spelling mussels to impress.
If it doesn't warrant a response, then why did you respond?

For the record: I addressed each point, the spelling remark was on a lighter footnote but you again either did not read my post or chose to ignore my points and concentrated solely on the spelling remark as you don't have a good reply to my points.
I also have a great life, wife, kids, house, pool, am older than you, agreed that my own spelling was poor, have a sense of humour....., don't scan my posts for mistakes (I use the spellchecker myself), and finally, I am interested in public debate which includes my right to dis-agree with you. That is the essence of good debate. How boring would this be if I just agreed with you all the time.
spastic bullet
would like to know if you are on crack
+77|6577|vancouver
Small point of order here...  GDP really only has a chance of working as a nation-to-nation comparison when you factor for the difference in population, which is significant in this case (15:1).  In other words, you measure GDP per capita.

GDP per capita
UK  :  $30,300  (Est. 2005)
RoI :  $41,000  (Est. 2005)

Source: www.cia.gov (CIA World Factbook)
=OBS= EstebanRey

spastic bullet wrote:

Small point of order here...  GDP really only has a chance of working as a nation-to-nation comparison when you factor for the difference in population, which is significant in this case (15:1).  In other words, you measure GDP per capita.

GDP per capita

Why don't we do it per dog or per pint of guiness sold, in fact any way of making it appear Ireland have a better throughput than the UK.

If you have a big business with lost of employees that makes a lot of money, and then a smaller business with less employees and less income; but a better income to employee ratio....would that make them leap frog the first business in the FTSE 100, I think not......
CameronPoe
+2,925|6591
Why has a thread about britain degenerated into a debate about northern ireland. The two things are completely separate entities.

To respond to some comments:
1) The Republic of Ireland does have a higher standard of living and per capita GDP than the UK.
2) If Northern Ireland were returned to the Republic the people on the whole island of Ireland WOULD have to suffer economically in the medium term but that's a small price to pay. Look how far we've come since independence.

Try moving on and debating britain again.
spastic bullet
would like to know if you are on crack
+77|6577|vancouver

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

spastic bullet wrote:

GDP per capita

Why don't we do it per dog or per pint of guiness sold, in fact any way of making it appear Ireland have a better throughput than the UK.

If you have a big business with lost of employees that makes a lot of money, and then a smaller business with less employees and less income; but a better income to employee ratio....would that make them leap frog the first business in the FTSE 100, I think not......
See, if you're saying what I think you're saying, I probably agree.  As a metric of a nation's wealth and/or economic well-being, GDP is not the be-all and end-all.  And as a metric of any particular citizen's worth -- economic or otherwise -- it's worse than useless.

I just didn't think at any point anybody really believed the RoI's raw GDP was the bigger of the two, so, because nobody else was making that clear, I did.  Simple as.

I've already stated my views on this topic (mostly as responses), which are:
1. Scotland are not sponging gits; it was their North Sea Oil that kept the UK from going bankrupt in the 70s and still subsidises the UK economy to a significant extent today; and
2. It's a shame for ordinary English people who want to be able to express their Englishness without being called racist.  I think it would be a good thing if they had a kind of devolved parliament of their own for solely English matters.  To which I would append...

The respective histories of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales -- though intertwined -- are not symmetrical.  This accounts for the "double standards" with regard to their respective nationalisms.  When a bunch of arseholes in ginger wigs and kilts show up in Trafalgar Square every few years, sure they might annoy you, chat up your ladies and puke on the pigeons, but do they call to mind any serious issues of your own sovereignty, whether in the past or an imagined future?  Really, though?

It's hard to put yourself in those shoes because the Norman Invasion of 1066 was such a long fucking time ago, it's almost like it never happened at all.  Basically, as the good kind of English, it comes down to this: if you really want your flagwaving and harmless nationalism, you are going to have to take it back from the kind of racist clowns who give it such a bad name these days.  Maybe even the original racist clowns, who knows?

The Scots, Irish and Welsh can afford to be over the top with it because they have no perceived outward aggression in their recent history.  You are not so lucky.  But you are lucky in other ways.  Like getting to go to World Cups and actually watch your team.    Bah.

I have no strong opinions on whether the UK should stay together because I don't live there any more, and don't plan to again any time soon.  Break up into seventeen thousand tiny gerrymandered statelets of varying legitimacy for all I care, just keep sending your best music and TV shows.  You can keep your food, though.  And Madonna.
aardfrith
Δ > x > ¥
+145|6828

CameronPoe wrote:

Why has a thread about britain degenerated into a debate about northern ireland. The two things are completely separate entities.
This is true.  However, the OP probably didn't know the difference between GB and UK - it's lost on most of the English-speaking world.
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6585|Southeastern USA
wow, now I'm more confused, DC seems sinfully simple now

going to have to do some digging on this, as my family is scotch-irish, a little  kraut too i think

Last edited by kr@cker (2006-06-30 07:16:00)

=OBS= EstebanRey

kr@cker wrote:

wow, now I'm more confused, DC seems sinfully simple now

going to have to do some digging on this, as my family is scotch-irish, a little  kraut too i think
Great (why did the OP leave that word out?) Britain = England, Scotland & Wales

United (although you wouldn't know it listening to JahmanRed) Kingdom = Great Britain & Northern Ireland.

But hey, Bush thought Africa was a country so you're ahead of him.....
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6585|Southeastern USA
amazing thing about africa......it's full of african-americans.....they're all over the place man!!!
tiptopT
+72|6618|Scotland's Capital

pedigreeuk wrote:

I'd love to see the back of scotland, to me all they do is get there own parliment to sponge off our government, moan about it and then tell people how much they hate us English. (even to the extent of boycotting Asda (walmart) stores until they stopped selling England world cup merchandise, I mean how childish and jealous is that?)

Wales I don't mind so much, I mean I know were also not there biggest fans but in all honesty I havn't met a rude welsh person.

I Don't even understand why we have Northern Ireland, not that I have a problem with them I just don't see why we can't just give it back to the Irish and be done with it. Plus it's a nice place 2 visit (well most areas anyway).

So to sum up. Wales = Don't mind
                     N I = Don't mind
                     Scotland = Fuck off on you're own and then see how you do!
This is why the majority of Scots moan about the English, the narrow mindedness and inferiority complex.  I am Scottish but i think if we didnt have a United Kingdom then we would all be buggered.  We all rely upon each other so much that trying to untangle it would just kill us!  I "would" support the English in their endevours (World Cup and Wimbledon etc) but when we have everything forced down our throats and thrust upon our tv...it gets a bit annoying (im sure the Irish and Welsh will agree).  For example in sports, if an Englishman does when he is English. Anyone else does well hes British. Typical.

I like the English, and living in Edinburgh i meet all types ranging from the normal to the "ya's" but whenever im out and i meet English lads up on the piss the always say "Didnt think you'd be this nice to us".  Its always the minority that spoils it for the majority, everyone has it.

As for our future, stay the same but different government.
Kendoson
+10|6731|Scotland
Got to say some of u english guys have bin quite offencive yeh Scotland got its own government nowt changed we have always had r own laws and stuff 60% of r revenue still goes to england i have no prob with this or the english, stuff is still the same as b4 but we have a voice on more issues [however think u guys have to look further afield for your venting every holiday i eva bin on bin told say you r scottish to locals not brittish lol they will treat u nicer]

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard