ProDicTeD
+2|6797
yeah the SF concept is best although i don't make a chance
To bad there can't be a tournament but the european/asian and aussies can't play on an american server
[GDC]SinnFein
Got Whiskey?
+63|6775|Meiriceá - frm 'Real Capital'
Chuy, you got some sound ideas here la....and some nasty ones as well.

I, personally donot believe the gifts should be given for any game related stats...too many variables.

(ok everyone rush to [GDC]SinnFein copy/paste there ya go lads..yeah yeah look at the stats, check for paddin, check weapons, maps k/d, times, check it all: i do the same)

No but seriously, I meself have maybe 230~hours ingame, I however truly feel that I love this game tenfold to likes of maxpower for example. I think he's just addicted and actually hates the game. Moral here bein la, time in game has nothing todo w/ deservidness. A m8 of my only can play weekends, he loves it so much he sends his wife to the airport and shopping for the whole 2days. well he has a few scoops too. but anyway.

I could just scan some old photos as I know at least 2 others that could do the same and look the SF part like no one's business w/ vehicles an all. Maybe do this contest for 4 copies...I will not enter.. my m8's well, they have no morals anymore they'll submit em' for a fancy SF copy. ..."copy whore's" add that one.

For the second lot of 5 copy's maybe a limited 1-2000 word story, be it humor, creative etc etc about bf2.\

The las aul wan keep for yourself as You definately deserve it.

See yas in me scope!
Slainte
Sinny
polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6777|Singapore

We could do a japanese-esque cosplay thing, where everyone dresses up and sends in their pictures. Best one takes it! Since chuy has 10 copies, that goes quite a long way:

Best photo (Cosplay) x3
Best screenshot w funny caption x3
Best BF2s siggy/title pic/webpage revamp?

and of course 1 for youself
BeefnCheez
+0|6734
CreepyDeath Clearly you haven't read all the posts b/c he already stated he bought his site ppl the game.

Ne wayz,

I suggest you have a contest based on originality and uniqueness.  Basically it is open to the imagination of the users.  They can dress up in a picture, create humorous comic strips, posters, or even videos.  In the end, you can decide who deserves it the most based on who you thought came up with the best idea or made you laugh the most.  Everyone can participate because it is not specific on one aspect that one individual is a professional in; it doesn’t limit you to something that one person is the best at. 

It's innovative, creative, and most importantly people can have fun with.  You put a time limit on it, lets say a week or the end of thanksgiving, and then you decide who you thought was most exquisite.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6754|Cambridge (UK)

chuyskywalker wrote:

Lottery is a rather lame fallback excuse. It's really not the way I want to go because it's so bland. Yay. You. Win. No involvement for the competitors, and NO involvement for the users of the site.

Also, a tournament is a PAIN IN THE ASS to run, and has a LOT of inherent problems (globally speaking, etc) which makes it even less appealing than a lottery.

Right now I am heavily leaning towards the "You want Special Forces? SHOW US that you're SF material!" dress up concept
Ah! It's all just sunk in - the polls... the announcement at the weekend...

Then, howabout just a 'BF2 picture' competition - can be funny, can be "I'm SF material photo", can be "the moment when...", can just be a really nice screeny of sweet BF2 action, whatever... Then to save you having to choose between we all vote - that way we all decide the winner... no complaints... no flame wars over "mine's bigger than your's"...

Whatever... hey, it's pottential free SF... it's all good...
beeng
Get C4, here!
+66|6775

CMDR_Dave wrote:

I'd have to go with Schuss on this one.  Lottery may be the only "fair" way.  Unless you want a bunch of whiners posting about because you didn't pick them.  Way to go Schussey (that's your new nick)! 

How about top ten players who have spent the most time in the BF2s server?  If they are regular posters here, then they are aware of your server.  They should be playing there.  I know I do whenever I can. 
I agree about the frequent posters ... but many of us don't play on the bf2s server for reasons already stated... not to mention its always full these days
SodaBob
+-1|6832|Indiana, US

DogGunn wrote:

What about selecting 10 people from random.
(Only from the people who have donated of course)
You already have their email address, this also means people will donate money to get a chance at winning?
I believe there are laws against "purchase necessary" contests.  In other words, if he opens the contest only to members, he may be violating some stupid law (I personally think that you should be able to restrict the contest only to those who have donated - and that's coming from someone who has not done so).  Not sure about this, though, as I'm no lawyer, but there's a reason why you always see "no purchase necessary" on all contests.

That said, I think a simple lottery with no contest would be easiest, on you and everyone else.  It would also give anyone here a chance to win, whether or not they had artistic/technical skills, game skills, time to participate in a tournament, etc.

Bob.
Icleos
+101|6731

SodaBob wrote:

DogGunn wrote:

What about selecting 10 people from random.
(Only from the people who have donated of course)
You already have their email address, this also means people will donate money to get a chance at winning?
I believe there are laws against "purchase necessary" contests.  In other words, if he opens the contest only to members, he may be violating some stupid law (I personally think that you should be able to restrict the contest only to those who have donated - and that's coming from someone who has not done so).  Not sure about this, though, as I'm no lawyer, but there's a reason why you always see "no purchase necessary" on all contests.

That said, I think a simple lottery with no contest would be easiest, on you and everyone else.  It would also give anyone here a chance to win, whether or not they had artistic/technical skills, game skills, time to participate in a tournament, etc.

Bob.
Mainly if you set the contest towards a comic or picture concept then you unbalance the community in chance.
Someone as a standup comic or artist will have a better chance at winning than someone who has had no experience in either of those.

I'm going to agree with Bob.
It may not be as much fun as the other ideas but everyone would have an equal chance at winning.
Pulling a name out of a hat seems like the best way.

I'm not doing this because I'm not a donator.  I just don't want BF2S to get sued or something.
Technically I believe it's illegal to have donators only be eligible to win.

EDIT: Might want to take a look at these:
http://www.loeb.com/CM/Alerts/alerts121.asp
http://www.loeb.com/CM/Alerts/Alerts181.asp

It's about the "no purchase necessary" Law.

Last edited by Icleos (2005-11-14 09:29:45)

AnarkyXtra
BF2s EU Server Admin
+67|6776|Hanging onto the UAV
A BF2S.com theme song competition. 

If you use my idea, I get a copy anyway. 
taddzilla
+23|6832|Pembroke Pines, FL.
Chuy, you take a screen shot in game.  Then the contest would be to create a short story that leads up to the point pictured.

Now the only skill required is creativity, and from what I have seen around here......there is alot of that.
TM=BE=Erocktroll
+0|6758|Tampa,Florida
How bout dune buggy races or a relay race with all the different transports , start on boat ,swim to shore race to point A in somthing etc etc etc
CMDR_Dave
Redneck
+66|6830|Missoula, MT
What a can of worms...LOL! 
magzy
+11|6741
screenshot + caption contest. easy to do, anyone can enter, as it doesnt require any skills using program (every1 can use paint, even me)

or get every1 to enter a badge they would like to see appear in the next patch, doesnt have to be serious.

Last edited by magzy (2005-11-14 09:40:25)

Nebular
+1|6771
I think the context should be about something that everyone can do (no "best stats", best picture (cause of the guys with photoshop) etc)

I'll say

- quiz on BF2 (how many points earned for this action, how many heal points to get this medal, or this badge)

- funny screenshots contest, but don't whine about graphic settings !
NiMhurchu
Suicide Operations
+13|6836|Germany

midgetspy wrote:

A timed quiz about bf2s's history (specifics!)

Nic
Well... I like that idea for any reason...
fikraag7
j00baroni w/ l33t sauce
+1|6744

Maybe we should do a combo lottery (x4), a triathalon/race on the bf2s server (x3), and an online quiz (x3)...this would allow for skill in combat, knowledge about the game, and a reward to those who post here. The lottery should only involve people who post here often, the triathalon on a certain date (i.e. Saturday or Sunday, maybe accounting for time difference), and the quiz should be the top three scorers in a timed quiz (you pick a date Chuy).

There probably should be some kind of contest to get into the triathalon (i.e. stats--no padders allowed) or maybe a funny screenshot thing

Last edited by fikraag7 (2005-11-14 10:21:07)

Tigg@lot
noob on tour
+1|6762|NRW,Germany

Nebular wrote:

I think the context should be about something that everyone can do (no "best stats", best picture (cause of the guys with photoshop) etc)

I'll say

- quiz on BF2 (how many points earned for this action, how many heal points to get this medal, or this badge)

- funny screenshots contest, but don't whine about graphic settings !
In the end you would need a lottery afterall as there will be more than 10 users who give the correct answers.

I´m just gonna wait until chuy decides. I only hope he´s gonna announce the beginnig of the "contest/lottery/..." early enough so I won´t miss it.
Dassador
+0|6732|Europe => Czech Republic
Agree with all your posts about the time zones difference or the different ping etc. , ye that would be a problem.. However as the worst case scenario could be that your just make a tournament for Europe , America etc. separately and then from each continent 2 best players win the game . And of course there can be another way just to give them out randomly , for example to me , I'd have nothing against it . Nobody would.
CMDR_Dave
Redneck
+66|6830|Missoula, MT
Chuy should just make a poll now that it's an option on the site...that would get a consensus going.  He can decide from there.  We know he'll make the right choice(s). 
beeng
Get C4, here!
+66|6775

CMDR_Dave wrote:

Chuy should just make a poll now that it's an option on the site...that would get a consensus going.  He can decide from there.  We know he'll make the right choice(s). 
As long as it isn't trade/knowledge specific.
'theme song' and 'quizzes' are ridiculous, you're alienating half the population by being too specific in the criteria.
TM=BE=Erocktroll
+0|6758|Tampa,Florida
Get one of the map makers who visit the site to make a bland map for a relay race lag would go down alot, make the transports in a line of  x amount  should be easy to whip up , and really funny
=Robin-Hood=
A stranger in the dark
+213|6809|Belgium

chuyskywalker wrote:

I bought the mods and admins a copy already The give away contest is for the users.
Hehe; as always, your one step ahead of the rest...

Well if you want community to get the prises, why not have 2 contests. One to LMAO and one to be helpful in near future...

A funny pick story contest in a certain theme (3 x)
and
A practical map / vehicle guide with picks and description on how to's... (7 x)

The latter you can use the expand UBAR... (I know people are working on those, but the more input the better?)

Cheers,
R
Kniero
Banned
+1|6734|AZ

=Robin-Hood= wrote:

A practical map / vehicle guide with picks and description on how to's... (7 x)
I think this would definitely be my option were I the Commander-in-Chief of this website and its relative features. Truly, a contest on a forum placed on a website meant to help those who play this video game should promote similar contributions. Those of you who say things like, "Well someone may have an edge because they might work professionally as a comic strip artist!" (concerning other's suggestions), I simply have to inform you of the fact that contests are not fair when the idealized prize is anything other than a monetary unit. What are you to say to competitions of tactical skill (within a virtual realm, of course) when the stakes are thousands of dollars, or, all the same, a powerhouse PC equal to that? This website is about assisting fellow hobbyists, so why shouldn't a contest within be based solely on those grounds as well? In thorough retrospect, conclusion of such debates should end in wholehearted concurrence.

Yo'5 Tr0oLE3,
Kniero

Last edited by Kniero (2005-11-14 14:39:33)

Hyper_Dude
+5|6811|United Knigdom
I really like the idea of dressing up, sounds like it'll be something we'll be dying from laughter.

I've already got laods of different scenarios which would be fantastic, although a short 30 second moive might be better.
BoneEnforcer
+4|6737
What if you wear BDUs to work each day.  I work with a bunch of walking trees everyday.

This is prob a lame idea.  But, what about picking actual military members from around the gaming community.  Yes, I am in the Air Force, but I think that it would be a small token of thanks for the people that are out there defending what freedom we do have in the free world.

I would personally nominate someone who has been fighting more for a country than I have.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard