is global warming a real threat

yes71%71% - 337
no28%28% - 135
Total: 472
jimmanycricket
EBC Member
+56|6661|Cambridge, England

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

well eventually the ball will not have enough energy to leave the ground so it will jsut wobble i mean the balls energy will not be stronger than gravity so it cant bounce anymore
sorry but as the ball is falling it converts its potensial energy in to kenetic energy and as the potensial energy is the massxforce of gravityxheight the ball is always going to have more energy when it hits the floor then gravitys effect on the ball. (gravityxmass)

i think ...

whoops off topic again

Last edited by jimmanycricket (2006-06-27 13:36:18)

Cheeky_Ninja06
+52|6738|Cambridge, England
if it was true that the ball will always have enough energy to bounce up then it would. but if you drop a ball from a few feet and left it for a million years would it still be bouncing?

also not all of the potential energy is converted to kinetic......its wasted as sound etc etc

also what if you drop a lump of steel why does this not always bounce?

Last edited by Cheeky_Ninja06 (2006-06-27 14:08:01)

{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6584|Florida
I dont think its a threat that is caused by people.  Yeah, its happening, but the its more of a cycle that the earth does.  Im sure that society doesnt help any, but I think its more of a cycle of the earth.
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6533|Portland, OR USA

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

Another thing that gets me is the main grren house gas we all hear about is carbon dioxide.  Now correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the stuff trees and plants "breathe" as we breathe oxygen?  Thus more CO2 = more trees = more oxygen. 

Besides, a cow's fart contains loads of CO2 and I don't see the Green moaning about that...
While I agree that the cycle of the Earth is the pervasive element here, cow's are cultivated by humans.  Thus their contribution to the issue is directly attributed to humans since we have artificially inflated their numbers.

Again, I am not arguing that a trend of global warming exists.  It is not attributed to us, however.  That is merely megalomaniacal fantasy.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6681|Canberra, AUS
I won't bother quoting DF's post there, I'll just assume you'll know what I mean.

I have to agree - we need to do less lawsuits and more non-partisan study. There are datas that suggest global warming will result in a NET BENEFIT to the majority of the world.

More study. Less talk.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
CameronPoe
+2,925|6561

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

if it was true that the ball will always have enough energy to bounce up then it would. but if you drop a ball from a few feet and left it for a million years would it still be bouncing?

also not all of the potential energy is converted to kinetic......its wasted as sound etc etc

also what if you drop a lump of steel why does this not always bounce?
Guys, physics lesson. Ball drops - accelerates towards the ground at 9.8 m/s2, as potential energy converts into kinetc energy (and sound energy, etc.). The ball hits the ground at whatever velocity it reached. THis exerts an impact force on the ground which in turn exerts an equal but opposite force on the ball, propelling it upwards again. At this point, gravity decelerates the upward motion of the ball until all of the kinetic energy is converted back to potential energy, at which point the ball will accelerate towards the ground again. It would bounce perpetually (although to heights invisible to the naked eye) if it were not for air resistance and other factors.

The steel ball will bounce but probably to a negligible height due to its inertia.

The reason flat objects hardly bounce is because the impact area is just that - an area (across which all of the force will be spread) - whereas all the impact force on the ball will be concentrated at one point on the surface of the ball.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-06-29 04:33:00)

[FB]Eraser
Back in battle after 3-year break
+39|6727|Switzerland
Serious: I agree, that global warming is a problem. But important point is, that we're looking at it deeply only for a very short time, regarding that it need ages, to define it propely, if it's only pollution or also natural changes. Fact is, that we should definitly look better to our planet...we only have this one!

Not so serious: Here's a proof for the global warming:

https://mypage.bluewin.ch/freelancer/proof_global_warming.jpg

Last edited by [FB]Eraser (2006-06-29 04:41:32)

De_Jappe
Triarii
+432|6533|Belgium

Nice one eraser

But global warming, not really something to worry about. Did you guys know that there have been millions of global warmings on earth. it's a cyclus -> colder (ice ages)->warmer->colder-> warmer.

I think we have more chance all dying in a nuclear war than dying because of the global warming.

besides in 50 years the oil will be gone and then we have to switch to something else.

Only problem the auto causes now is the acid rain etc.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6772|UK
You are right that there have been cycles of global warming but that doesnt change the fact that if they do change we are all likely to die, so how about rather than say "o its not our fault" DO SOMETHING! No matter what you say we have either 1. Increased the rate at which it is naturally happens 2. Caused it to happen earlier than it naturally would have done, Now rather than sitting there bitching how about you use your computer less, turn off you TVs at the mains, dont leave lights on and recycle your rubbish, now i can say this because i do all of those.
Darth_Fleder
Mod from the Church of the Painful Truth
+533|6812|Orlando, FL - Age 43

Vilham wrote:

You are right that there have been cycles of global warming but that doesn't change the fact that if they do change we are all likely to die
Die from what, Vilham? Overactive imaginations? I'd say that someone has seen too many Apocalypse films.

Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine wrote:

As atmospheric CO2 increases, plant growth rates increase. Also, leaves lose less water as CO2 increases, so that plants are able to grow under drier conditions. Animal life, which depends upon plant life for food, increases proportionally.

Figures 17 to 22 show examples of experimentally measured increases in the growth of plants. These examples are representative of a very large research literature on this subject (49-55). Since plant response to CO2 fertilization is nearly linear with respect to CO2 concentration over a range of a few hundred ppm, as seen for example in figures 18 and 22, it is easy to normalize experimental measurements at different levels of CO2 enrichment. This has been done in figure 23 in order to illustrate some CO2 growth enhancements calculated for the atmospheric increase of about 80 ppm that has already taken place, and that expected from a projected total increase of 320 ppm.

https://img262.imageshack.us/img262/5002/fig174av.gif
Figure 17: Standard normal deviates of tree ring widths for (a) bristlecone pine, limber pine, and fox tail pine in the Great Basin of California, Nevada, and Arizona and (b) bristlecone pine in Colorado (48). The tree ring widths have been normalized so that their means are zero and deviations from the means are displayed in units of standard deviation.

As figure 17 shows, long-lived (1,000- to 2000-year-old) pine trees have shown a sharp increase in growth rate during the past half-century...

...Human use of coal, oil, and natural gas has not measurably warmed the atmosphere, and the extrapolation of current trends shows that it will not significantly do so in the foreseeable future. It does, however, release CO2, which accelerates the growth rates of plants and also permits plants to grow in drier regions. Animal life, which depends upon plants, also flourishes.

http://www.oism.org/pproject/s33p36.htm
I suggest that you read the entire article. With your 'Green' tendencies, you might be surprised to find that the data may suggest that CO2 emissions are actually good for the environment. I suggest you spend more time learning the facts for yourself and less letting others do it for you.

Spark wrote:

There are datas that suggest global warming will result in a NET BENEFIT to the majority of the world.

More study. Less talk.
QFE
pdanrichey
+5|6813
NO!!

What a surprise, the liberals on this site win out again...what a big freaking shock!!
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6772|UK
A huge temperature change up or down, will mean that food cant be made in such huge quantities easily, and other animals will die from these changes in temperature. Thus meaning stavation. I think you just have no kind of creative imagination.

Another example, we enter an mini ice age, thus more snow, roads are closed up train tracks dont work, logistics are thus screwed up, oil and other fuels are needed more to keep us warm, but we cant get enough due to these problems with logistics.
Darth_Fleder

Vilham wrote:

A huge temperature change up or down, will mean that food cant be made in such huge quantities easily, and other animals will die from these changes in temperature. Thus meaning stavation
Another example, we enter an mini ice age, thus more snow, roads are closed up train tracks dont work, logistics are thus screwed up, oil and other fuels are needed more to keep us warm, but we cant get enough due to these problems with logistics.
Did you even bother to read the study I posted or any other information that I posted? http://www.oism.org/pproject/s33p36.htm
Read it and then post your thoughts.
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6533|Portland, OR USA

CameronPoe wrote:

Guys, physics lesson. Ball drops - accelerates towards the ground at 9.8 m/s2, as potential energy converts into kinetc energy (and sound energy, etc.). The ball hits the ground at whatever velocity it reached. THis exerts an impact force on the ground which in turn exerts an equal but opposite force on the ball, propelling it upwards again. At this point, gravity decelerates the upward motion of the ball until all of the kinetic energy is converted back to potential energy, at which point the ball will accelerate towards the ground again. It would bounce perpetually (although to heights invisible to the naked eye) if it were not for air resistance and other factors.

The steel ball will bounce but probably to a negligible height due to its inertia.

The reason flat objects hardly bounce is because the impact area is just that - an area (across which all of the force will be spread) - whereas all the impact force on the ball will be concentrated at one point on the surface of the ball.
Due to reasons you just enumerated, the ball would not bounce perpetually.  Energy is lost to noise, heat, or any various other media.  As such, energy is lost to the system and the resultant height is less then the initial height.  The ball is always accellerating toward the ground, as that is the only force acting on it while either falling or rising.  The only instant this is not true is at the precise point of impulse due to the impact force.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6772|UK

Darth_Fleder wrote:

Vilham wrote:

A huge temperature change up or down, will mean that food cant be made in such huge quantities easily, and other animals will die from these changes in temperature. Thus meaning stavation
Did you even bother to read the study I posted or any other information that I posted? http://www.oism.org/pproject/s33p36.htm
Read it and then post your thoughts.
yes well that may be true, but that doesnt change the fact that plants dont grow well in freezing temperatures seeing as the water is likely to freeze in most crops, espeacilly wheat and rice! the 2 largest staple foods in the world, THINK BEFORE U POST MATE!
Darth_Fleder

Vilham wrote:

yes well that may be true, but that doesnt change the fact that plants dont grow well in freezing temperatures seeing as the water is likely to freeze in most crops, espeacilly wheat and rice! the 2 largest staple foods in the world, THINK BEFORE U POST MATE!
You want this argument both ways? We are simultaneously going to have blistering heat that will burn the crops and an ice age that will decimate them at the same time? Which is it? Where do you get these ideas?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6638|949

Darth_Fleder wrote:

You want this argument both ways? We are simultaneously going to have blistering heat that will burn the crops and an ice age that will decimate them at the same time? Which is it? Where do you get these ideas?
Not that I support Vilham's viewpoint, but it has been discussed that the Gulf Stream will be diverted and expose northern and western Europe to extreme cold.  Just because the entire Earth is heating up does not mean that everywhere on Earth is heating up.
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!
+271|6762|United States of America
There is no threat, throughout the last 5000 years the temperature slightly increases.  Not even by one degree.  Though all people make a fuss about it like this.  It's normal as of our history.  It's only now people are afraid, and I see no reason why.
topal63
. . .
+533|6724
I don’t know what the fuss is all about? The correlation of a human impact on the global warming trend is valid and significant - but is it a doomsday scenario NOT!

Of course we are contributing to the current trend of global warming - separating out the long term trend has been scientifically done - it is a FACT.

The small increases in average temperature (globally) are all positive (+) and all the trends are not slow geological time-frame trends. Please don’t get confused over the natural long term trends that occur over (thousands; tens of thousands; or ) millions of years - and that those can be used comparatively with a high degree of analogous correlation - the correlation significance is less than what is presented as argument (that it is a simple natural occurrence - it isn’t). The issue is inherently complex, but not so-complex that the issue of whether or not WE ARE contributing to global warming, as a species, is in question - it isn’t.

Contributing factors:

Fossil fuel emissions (burning them - The Happy Humscalade Factor).

Animal populations (natural emissions of respiration and digestion) - in the last 40-50 years the human population has doubled from 3.5 billion to nearly 7 billion - all the agricultural, farming, livestock support should be considered as part of the equation and that it is contributing to the (local-time frame) trend (The not enough Condoms - Sex is for Fun Factor).

Cloud formations + particle suspension(s) in the atmosphere [pollution] - the partly counter-active dimming effect (or The Pollution is Good(?) Factor).

Deforestation - massive reduction(s) of the Worlds major forests. Clearly plant-life is not absorbing the increased amounts of CO2 that is available - on a global scale (locally in certain places sure-maybe - as a global trend - NO). The CO2 is increasing and even though plant-life can make us of it - it isn’t - it is not keeping pace with the trend (The Happy Plants No Concerned Gardener Factor).

The FACT is we are contributing to the global warming trend (local time frame) - even if the (longer-term geological time frame) overall trend is positive (+). We are accelerating the trend in the short term - and those consequences are having an immediate impact NOW.

http://www.worldviewofglobalwarming.org/index.html
    “More than "An Inconvenient Truth" -- Global Warming is a dangerous, wide-ranging, and urgent problem. The truth is we all must begin reducing global warming. Please go here to see what you can do (besides seeing Al Gore's movie). “

We have a natural lab called Alaska - to measure the effects of the short-term; near-term (+) trend acceleration:
http://www.worldviewofglobalwarming.org … aska3.html
    “Nearly 4 million acres of mature white spruce forest on the Kenai Peninsula have been killed by a growing population of spruce bark beetles (Dendroctonus rufipennis) since about 1987. This is a very active event, mediated by climate change, which has spread to about 38 million mature spruce. Scientists, including Dr. Edward Berg and Dr. Kenneth Raffa, attribute the beetle infestation to rising average temperatures in South-Central Alaska in both winter and summer. More beetle larvae can survive, and higher summer temperatures allow the insects to mature faster and complete a two-year life cyle in one year. The trees, which previously lived in balance with the beetles, do not have enough natural defenses against this assault. “

Also, by the way, the tropics contain the greatest amount of (above-ground) biology & biodiversity because of water & sunlight, not because of average-locale temperature per se, much/many of the deserts in Africa were once tropical forests. It was distant geological formations & long term trends (mountain-ranges) that changed the local rainfall patterns that made the forests disappear - the elimination of water (interruption of the rainfall-cycle) was what precipitated the change.

Last edited by topal63 (2006-06-29 11:27:48)

Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6772|UK

Darth_Fleder wrote:

Vilham wrote:

incase you didnt notice i was giving 2! possible effects. "A huge temperature change up or down," and you will note at no point did i even suggest that it was definately gunna get hot, infact i only gave an example of it being cold. THINK BEFORE U POST MATE!
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6772|UK

topal63 wrote:

I don’t know what the fuss is all about? The correlation of a human impact on the global warming trend is valid and significant - but is it a doomsday scenario NOT!

Of course we are contributing to the current trend of global warming - separating out the long term trend has been scientifically done - it is a FACT.

The small increases in average temperature (globally) are all positive (+) and all the trends are not slow geological time-frame trends. Please don’t get confused over the natural long term trends that occur over millions of years - and that those can be used comparatively with a high degree of analogous correlation - the correlation significance is less than what is presented as argument (that it is a simple natural occurrence - it isn’t). The issue is inherently complex, but not so-complex that the issue of whether or not WE ARE contributing to global warming, as a species, is in question - it isn’t.

Contributing factors:

Fossil fuel emissions (burning them - the Happy Humscalade Factor)

Animal populations (natural emissions of respiration and digestion) - in the last 40-50 years the human population has doubled from 3.5 billion to nearly 7 billion - all the agricultural, farming, livestock support should be considered as part of the equation and that it is contributing to the (local-time frame) trend (The not enough Condoms - Sex is for Fun Factor).

Cloud formations + particle suspension(s) in the atmosphere [pollution] - the partly counter-active dimming effect (or the Pollution is Good(?) Factor).

Deforestation - massive reduction(s) of the Worlds major forests. Clearly plant-life is not absorbing the increased amounts of CO2 that is available - on a global scale (locally in certain places sure-maybe - as a global trend - NO). The CO2 is increasing and even though plant-life can make us of it - it isn’t - it is not keeping pace with the trend (the Happy Plants No Concerned Gardener Factor).

The FACT is we are contributing to the global warming trend (local time frame) - even if the (longer-term geological time frame) overall trend is positive (+). We are accelerating the trend in the short term - and those consequences are having an immediate impact NOW.

http://www.worldviewofglobalwarming.org/index.html
    “More than "An Inconvenient Truth" -- Global Warming is a dangerous, wide-ranging, and urgent problem. The truth is we all must begin reducing global warming. Please go here to see what you can do (besides seeing Al Gore's movie). “

We have a natural lab called Alaska - to measure the effects of the short-term; near-term (+) trend acceleration:
http://www.worldviewofglobalwarming.org … aska3.html
    “Nearly 4 million acres of mature white spruce forest on the Kenai Peninsula have been killed by a growing population of spruce bark beetles (Dendroctonus rufipennis) since about 1987. This is a very active event, mediated by climate change, which has spread to about 38 million mature spruce. Scientists, including Dr. Edward Berg and Dr. Kenneth Raffa, attribute the beetle infestation to rising average temperatures in South-Central Alaska in both winter and summer. More beetle larvae can survive, and higher summer temperatures allow the insects to mature faster and complete a two-year life cyle in one year. The trees, which previously lived in balance with the beetles, do not have enough natural defenses against this assault. “

Also, by the way, the tropics contain the greatest amount of (above-ground) biology & biodiversity because of water & sunlight, not because of average-locale temperature per se, much/many of the deserts in Africa were once tropical forests. It was distant geological formations & long term trends (mountain-ranges) that changed the local rainfall patterns that made the forests disappear - the elimination of water (interruption of the rainfall-cycle) was what precipitated the change.
exactly, we are causing an effect by accelerating it, animals and plants on a general note cant cope with fast changes, changes very fast normally cause the extinction of animals. If changes in temperatures kill off lots of species this will directly affect other species and therefore screw things up, life will go on of that there is no doubt and its likely as creative animals we will find a way round this but it wont change the fact that we fucked up the world.
topal63
. . .
+533|6724

topal63 wrote:

. . . but is it a doomsday scenario NOT!

Vilham wrote:

. . . its likely as creative animals we will find a way round this but it wont change the fact that we fucked up the world.
Uh, you've lost me? It is not too late; it is not fucked beyond recourse - but that is certainly a relative YET.

It clearly is not to late to reverse the trend, but reversing the overall trend of environmental impact by human populations - will involve a global effort and that will be difficult to encourage; promote as a necessary cause; as it sounds like an anti-people agenda when spun from a political perspective that simply doesn’t care about the impact of the near-term on the long-term. Population increases press the margins of the last wild refuges. How do you sell a less people in the world, humans can’t touch that; idea; policy; agenda - and that that is a good thing. It inherently feels anti-people; anti-humanity; evil in intent even.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6772|UK

topal63 wrote:

topal63 wrote:

. . . but is it a doomsday scenario NOT!

Vilham wrote:

. . . its likely as creative animals we will find a way round this but it wont change the fact that we fucked up the world.
Uh, you've lost me? It is not too late; it is not fucked beyond recourse - but that is certainly a relative YET.

It clearly is not to late to reverse the trend, but reversing the overall trend of environmental impact by human populations - will involve a global effort and that will be difficult to encourage; promote as a necessary cause; as it sounds like an anti-people agenda when spun from a political perspective that simply doesn’t care about the impact of the near-term on the long-term. Population increases press the margins of the last wild refuges. How do you sell a less people in the world, humans can’t touch that; idea; policy; agenda - and that that is a good thing. It inherently feels anti-people; anti-humanity; evil in intent even.
i agree that it isnt too late to change it but if we dont it will be partly our fault that lots of things die.
Darth_Fleder

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Not that I support Vilham's viewpoint, but it has been discussed that the Gulf Stream will be diverted and expose northern and western Europe to extreme cold.  Just because the entire Earth is heating up does not mean that everywhere on Earth is heating up.
Point noted KEN. The one thing that I would like to point out is that is pure speculation made in a science that is still in its infancy. It is only a hypothesis at this time. I would also like to point out the following graph.

https://img436.imageshack.us/img436/6640/2000yeartemp7wm.png
Example of regional variations in surface air temperature for the last 1000 years, estimated from a variety of sources, including temperature-sensitive tree growth indices and written records of various kinds, largely from western Europe and eastern North America. Shown are changes in regional temperature in ° C, from the baseline value for 1900. Compiled by R. S. Bradley and J. A. Eddy based on J. T. Houghton et al., Climate Change: The IPCC Assessment, Cambridge UniversityPress, Cambridge, 1990 and published in EarthQuest, vol 5, no 1, 1991. Courtesy of Thomas Crowley

During the time of the medieval warm period or 'Medieval Optimum' as it is also called, Greenland was colonised indicating to me that Europe was also enjoying balmier temperatures. This also indicates that fears of a gulf stream shift may be ungrounded.

https://img317.imageshack.us/img317/7641/20000yeartemp8bm.png
Graph Compiled by R.S. Bradley and J.A. Eddy based on J.T. Houghton et al., Climate Change: The IPCC Assessment, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1990 and published in EarthQuest, vo. 1, 1991. Courtesy of Thomas Crowley

topal63 wrote:

... It is not too late; it is not fucked beyond recourse - but that is certainly a relative YET.

The idea that man-made pollution is responsible for global warming is not supported by historical fact. The period known as the Holocene Maximum is a good example-- so-named because it was the hottest period in human history. The interesting thing is this period occurred approximately 7500 to 4000 years B.P. (before present)-- long before human's invented industrial pollution. Caused by the transition from the stone age to the bronze?

Again, I have to say, in the event that we ARE helping to warm up the planet, there is also a good deal of data that suggests that this would be a GOOD thing.

Topal, you point to an article that sports this....

topal63 wrote:

Nearly 4 million acres of mature white spruce forest on the Kenai Peninsula have been killed by a growing population of spruce bark beetles (Dendroctonus rufipennis) since about 1987. This is a very active event, mediated by climate change, which has spread to about 38 million mature spruce. Scientists, including Dr. Edward Berg and Dr. Kenneth Raffa, attribute the beetle infestation to rising average temperatures in South-Central Alaska in both winter and summer. More beetle larvae can survive, and higher summer temperatures allow the insects to mature faster and complete a two-year life cyle in one year. The trees, which previously lived in balance with the beetles, do not have enough natural defenses against this assault. “
But the very next portion of the articles says this....
'New growth of black spruce on a hillside in Denali National Park headquarters, where botanist Glenn Juday has found that forest cover has advanced in elevation at the highest elevations over the last century. This is consistent with the hypothesis that forest area has increased during a 150-year warming trend. Average temperature at Denali park headquarters is 1.3° C warmer just since 1976. Other studies reported by the IPCC show that across the Arctic, boreal forests are expanding at a rate equal to about 100 - 150 km per degree centigrade of average temperature increase.'

Ok, so the white spruce is not doing as well under pressure from the beetles, but the black spruce is doing very well. Do we have some sentimental attachement to the white spruce over the black variety?

Topal63, I am rather disappointed in you because from reading your posts it doesn't appear that you have taken the time to read and consider many of my preceding posts on this topic. You are normally more thorough.

Vilham wrote:

topal63 wrote:

The correlation of a human impact on the global warming trend is valid and significant - but is it a doomsday scenario NOT!
exactly, we are causing an effect by accelerating it, animals and plants on a general note cant cope with fast changes, changes very fast normally cause the extinction of animals. If changes in temperatures kill off lots of species this will directly affect other species and therefore screw things up, life will go on of that there is no doubt and its likely as creative animals we will find a way round this but it wont change the fact that we fucked up the world.
I think you missed a critical sentence there Vilham. I hate to point this out but you seem to be one of this crowd...https://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper301/stills/3673o25f.jpg
with your 'we are fucking up the world' view.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6638|949

Darth_Fleder wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Point noted KEN. The one thing that I would like to point out is that is pure speculation made in a science that is still in its infancy. It is only a hypothesis at this time. I would also like to point out the following graph.

http://img436.imageshack.us/img436/6640 … emp7wm.png
Example of regional variations in surface air temperature for the last 1000 years, estimated from a variety of sources, including temperature-sensitive tree growth indices and written records of various kinds, largely from western Europe and eastern North America. Shown are changes in regional temperature in ° C, from the baseline value for 1900. Compiled by R. S. Bradley and J. A. Eddy based on J. T. Houghton et al., Climate Change: The IPCC Assessment, Cambridge UniversityPress, Cambridge, 1990 and published in EarthQuest, vol 5, no 1, 1991. Courtesy of Thomas Crowley

During the time of the medieval warm period or 'Medieval Optimum' as it is also called, Greenland was colonised indicating to me that Europe was also enjoying balmier temperatures. This also indicates that fears of a gulf stream shift may be ungrounded.
Good information, but irrelevant to the Gulf Stream argument.  The Gulf Stream doesn't pass by Greenland, and Greenland is not in Northern or Western Europe.  What is this science that is still in its infancy, like you say?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard