I searched with no results, but is the ASUS A8N-E motherboard (PCI-E) compatible with a nVIDIA Gforce 7600GS?

Also, how can I tell if my motherboard runs GDDR2 or GDDR3 for video cards? If I buy a card that has GDDR3 and my mobo is GDDR2 I can't use that card right?

Also, can anyone tell my what type of ram this processor uses? I think it's DDR but the stupid store I bought my computer from won't let me open my computer without voiding the warranty, so I can't see what's actually in it.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6724|Riva, MD
crucial.com can help you.
IBKCKNURASS
Corrosion Inhibitor
+172|6745
well for starters that board sux. to compacted, looks like an asus trial board(like thier just testing the design).
Video card= pci Express is pci express. so ya. the card uses what ever the card uses(GDDR3, GDDR2), mobo doesnt matter, it does have the Nvidia nForce4 Ultra chipset though so ya basiaclly any nvidia pci express.
that board doesnt have sli support though. so no dual cards.

Ram= 4 x 184-pin DDR dual-channel support for up to 4GB unbuffered, PC2100, PC2700 & PC3200
(DDR266, DDR333 & DDR400) DDR or ECC memory
Right now 2 of my ram slots are filled with 512mb cards. Since my computer is running them dual channeled, does that mean my other 2 slots need to be filled with 512's or can I add one 1Gb stick?

DDR266, DDR333 & DDR400 - I can put any of these ram sticks in my computer right?

+1 to both of you when I can.
IBKCKNURASS
Corrosion Inhibitor
+172|6745
well U wanna match the speed of the memory to the processor..... what processor u got?
U also wanna make sure all ur ram is the same speed or they will all be under clocked if one is under or u would be under clockin them all if u dont have it match ur processor or u will be under clockin the faster one.
and yes u can use a single stick if u want but ur not getting the best performance u can get out of it. i would go with 2 512's or even better 2 1gb sticks.
I have an AMD Athelon 3000+
IBKCKNURASS
Corrosion Inhibitor
+172|6745

TheCanadianTerrorist wrote:

athlon 64 right?

well just see what u have in there already and get more of it(2100, 2700, or 3200).
RookieCAF
+11|6598|Western Massachussets
The RAM on the Videocard has nothing to do with the Motherboard. That card will work in your machine (most likely, unsure what PSU requirements are needed by that particular card.) And, Contrary to one poster, that Motherboard is fine. You can add 1 stick or 2, but if you add 1 you will not be able to run dual channel mode, which is a tad bit faster. Also, be aware, alot of motherboards run the RAM at a slower speed if all 4 slots are full.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6744|Salt Lake City

As long as the 7600GS is PCI-e it will work in a motherboard with a PCI-e x16 slot.  Currently there are no variations in PCI-e like there was with AGP (e.g. 2x, 4x, 8x, 5V, 3.3V, 1.5V, 0.8V, etc.)

Also, don't confuse the RAM on the video card with your system RAM.  Your video card is a self contained system as far as the RAM goes.  GDDR actually stands for Graphics Double Data Rate.  It was designed by the memory makers in conjunction with ATi and nVidia to help meet the growing bandwidth needs of video cards.

RAM for your motherboard is plain old fashioned DDR.  You will want to get at least PC3200, faster if you plan to overclock.  As for installing 2 x512MB or 1 x 1GB, you should theoretically be able to do either, but it is highly recommended that you install the RAM in matching pairs.  By that I don't mean you have to install 2 more 512MB sticks, just that the two sticks you get to populate the last two slots should be the same.

Just a side note, populating all four DIMM sockets will require you to reduce the command rate to 2t, if it isn't already there, and doesn't do so automatically...it should happen automatically unless you gone to the BIOS and set the configuration of it to manual.
So far I take it that I should switch the the current 2 ram sticks out for 2 1GB ones, and I should get the card. The card uses 30 watts I believe.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6744|Salt Lake City

So far I take it that I should switch the the current 2 ram sticks out for 2 1GB ones, and I should get the card. The card uses 30 watts I believe.
That would be the ideal scenario, but not required.

IBKCKNURASS wrote:

athlon 64 right?
Yes, but I run Windows 32.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6724|Riva, MD
What kind of RAM would go good with this?  http://www.starmicro.net/detail.aspx?ID=108

It's exactly what I use.  That's where I bought it.
IBKCKNURASS
Corrosion Inhibitor
+172|6745
well if your just gonna go buy 2 new 1 gb sticks and get rid of the old ones then get 3200.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6744|Salt Lake City

IBKCKNURASS wrote:

athlon 64 right?
Athlon 64, or more commonly known as A64, is simply the model designation of the chip.  Also, whether you run a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows doesn't change your RAM type.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6744|Salt Lake City

_j5689_ wrote:

What kind of RAM would go good with this?  http://www.starmicro.net/detail.aspx?ID=108

It's exactly what I use.  That's where I bought it.
Well, since the FSB operates at 100MHz, you could get away with using PC1600 DDR RAM.  However, given than PC1600 is pretty much non-existent, and there is little to no price difference of PC2100, PC2700, and PC3200, just get the PC3200.
IBKCKNURASS
Corrosion Inhibitor
+172|6745

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

IBKCKNURASS wrote:

athlon 64 right?
Athlon 64, or more commonly known as A64, is simply the model designation of the chip.  Also, whether you run a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows doesn't change your RAM type.
but it does matter if he is talking about the wrong board. there is an athlon 3000+(socket A) and there is an athlon64 3000+ socket 939(754 also) if hes talkin about an athlon 3000+(socket A) then were talkin about the wrong board.

Small Tech Question... my ass. lol
Yes mine is Athelon64 3000+ using socket 939.

Also, I hear AMD is discontinuing their socket 939 production. Is this because the socket is old?

What is the fastest mobo/socket out now? Are they worth the money?
IBKCKNURASS
Corrosion Inhibitor
+172|6745
U must be talkin about the AM2 google it. 939 will still be in production a year from now no worries, they just wont be working on it(technology wise).
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6779|PNW

Yes mine is Athelon64 3000+ using socket 939.

Also, I hear AMD is discontinuing their socket 939 production. Is this because the socket is old?

What is the fastest mobo/socket out now? Are they worth the money?
As IBKCKN said, Socket 939 will still be in production for some time. It's not because the socket is old or incompetant, but because AMD is moving on to AM2, which makes use of DDR2 memory. AM2 will be worth moving to when the price/availability of DDR2 finally surpasses that of DDR, which is one of the reasons why AMD delayed its support for so long. In several months or so, the niggly little bugs and issues innate to any new piece of hardware will be ironed out of AM2, and DDR2 will (hopefully) be at an all-time low. Great for me, because I will be upgrading from my 3500+/6800Ultra/2GBmismatched to a new PC.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6724
hes talking about video ram, not system ram... GDDR2 and GDDR3 is video ram... yes ur pc can run it if u have the same slot (agp/pcie)

socket 939 is ddr
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6744|Salt Lake City

IBKCKNURASS wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

but it does matter if he is talking about the wrong board. there is an athlon 3000+(socket A) and there is an athlon64 3000+ socket 939(754 also) if hes talkin about an athlon 3000+(socket A) then were talkin about the wrong board.

Right, but in his first post he gave his mobo model, which I knew was S939.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6724
ok so ur mobo supports ddr... and any vid card that is the same slot
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
IBKCKNURASS
Corrosion Inhibitor
+172|6745

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

IBKCKNURASS wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Right, but in his first post he gave his mobo model, which I knew was S939.
ya but the questions he was askin made me wonder if he knew what he was talkin about. Need to make sure were all on the same page......Especially him.
RookieCAF
+11|6598|Western Massachussets
Is it common here for a mod to harass a user in PM's?

IBKCKNURASShole wrote:

I dont need a clue, I know that board sux. Why the hell would u put a Nvidia nForce4 Ultra chipset on a board that doesnt have Sli? thats the dummest thing Ive ever heard. Its not even a micro atx just a smaller one, compacted for nothing. No reason what so ever. Look at the stupid design, its obviously a tester for a smaller series. There arent boards like that, check the dimensions, its not a standard board nor a micro... Theres no point to the board.

U get a clue.

~IB

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard