Todd_Angelo
Leukocyte
+336|6769|Warlord
Because of differences in opinion on bullet drop in this thread I decided to have a close look in controlled conditions to see if I could get a firmer idea on which rifle has more or less; along the way I found out some very important things I wasn't looking for.

I used the big three from each point and fired about 100 rounds in total. I'd appreciate it if at least one pair could get onto Teamspeak and repeat these tests. Also, someone with a better graphics card will have to test any longer ranges, I can't see player models beyond about 330m. I don't want to colour people's judgement ahead of time so I won't report all the results yet; I want to see if others get a replication of some of my results (especially the weird stuff).

Sharqi
Shooter standing on the top floor of the south building, in line with the flag (north-south line) aiming down the road due west.

https://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h187/Todd_Angelo/Sharqi_Shooter.jpg

Target standing just beside the telephone pole (right under the streetlight) on the north verge of the road; distance to Construction Site flag is 173m.

https://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h187/Todd_Angelo/Sharqi_Target.jpg

Wake
Shooter in a boat near the southern limb of the island; 327m from South Base flag.
Target standing by the north-west corner of the building to the north of the flag.

https://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h187/Todd_Angelo/Wake_Target.jpg

I'm lucky in that I can get access to two computers with BF2 installed in the same room, connected to the Internet through the same router, so I had the advantage of being able to listen to what the target heard directly for each shot, which lead to some of the very interesting results that I wasn't expecting.

The servers I found all reported pings of less than 60 and they were empty of course, so needless to say there wasn't any load to account for anomalies in hit detection; I kept a close watch on ping and it didn't appear to alter during the tests.

Okay to get this out of the way, at the ranges I tested there appears to be nothing between the big three: no certain differences in the amount of bullet drop. The reasons I'm not certain are because the changes in aiming point are very subtle, mere pixels, but also because of the unexpected findings (basically the amount of misses). I'm also not sure if we should be judging from the imaginary centre of the scope for the M95 as the aiming point, or use the underside of the horizontal bar of the reticle.

On Sharqi to ensure I was being as accurate as I could be with regard to vertical alignment I was aligning vertically off to one side, then tapping left to line up the crosshair where I wanted to aim. For consistency the target in each case was a sniper, scoped in, looking directly at the shooter.

M95
I started about three or four pixels (checking in Photoshop, three exactly) above the head, aligned for the shot. No headshot. Tried again. No headshot.

Lowered the aim point (two pixels). No headshot.

Lowered the aim point again until the bar was touching the head. No headshot.

One pixel above the head. No headshot. WTF? Surely if two pixels above isn't a headshot and touching the head isn't either then shouldn't one pixel be the sweet spot?

Touching the head. No headshot.

And so on. There's a lot more of these and not in order because it's hard to judge differences of a single pixel and I adjusted a little left and right to try to position for the location of the hit box in relation to the head model.

M24
Two pixels above the head. No headshot.

Touching. No headshot.

Touching, adjusted to the right. No headshot.

One pixel above. No headshot.

Two pixels above, exactly the same relative position left to right as previous shot. Headshot.

https://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h187/Todd_Angelo/screen420_M24_Headshot.jpg

L96A1
Looked like the same aiming point as the last shot on the M24 but checking in Photoshop it's about one pixel to the right (the player model isn't exactly the same shape). No headshot.

One pixel above the top of the head. Headshot. Checking you can see it's one pixel to the left too... hang on a second though, aren't these two supposed to aim the same?!

Touching the head, same relative position left to right as above. Headshot.

https://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h187/Todd_Angelo/screen427_L96_Headshot.jpg

One pixel lower, one pixel further to the right. Headshot.

https://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h187/Todd_Angelo/screen439_L96_Headshot.jpg

I went back to the M24 and M95 after this and one successful aiming point with the M24 was with the bar touching the head but two pixels more to the left than the previous time.

https://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h187/Todd_Angelo/screen453_M24_Headshot.jpg

I stopped taking screenshots after this but you get the basic picture.

Now if someone else could try some tests with the same positions. I'm especially interested if you get any of the same anomalies as I got. Bear in mind I have two computers in the same room I could hear what the target is supposed to hear (the whiz of the bullet closely followed by the crack of the shot) but that's not always the case... also please have a look at the distances from the centre aim the player names show up, see if I'm going crazy.

Last edited by Todd_Angelo (2006-06-28 05:39:15)

Sambuccashake
+126|6752|Sweden
Wow this is indeed interesting.
I wish I could help you out and confirm your findings but alas, I don't have the time.

So, am I right in thinking the L96A1 is much more generous* when it comes to lining up headshot or is there indeed a substantial difference in deviation compared to the M24/M95?

*Generous = Giving headshots even if you're not technically aiming exactly where you "should".

Anymoo, +1 for you.
Gulf_War_Syndrome
OMG ERYX HAX!
+62|6821|Adelaide, Australia
The only factor that determines bullet drop is the air speed of the bullet. As far as I know, all sniper bullets travel at the same speed and therefore have the same bullet drop. It should be possible to examine the code to confirm this. In fact I'm sure someone has already done this and published the results here somewhere...
Mj.Blindfisch
Bulletdrop-Buddha
+338|6839|Germany
If this were real rifles the scope would not be mounted properly,judging from the point of impact I'd say it is a bit tilted(I get the same points of impact with my airrifle when the scope is tilted a bit).

Some people said that you have got to aim for the neck to get a headshot,maybe this explains it.

And sniping in BF2 is very different to other games,sometimes really frustrating(M95,uuaargh!!),I played Sniper Elite before BF2 and in that game you could be sure that when you calculated everything right(yeah,you could actually calculate the bulletdrop,200meters = 8 mildots down!) you always got a headshot.

But hey,sometimes I hit stuff,sometimes I don't...
Todd_Angelo
Leukocyte
+336|6769|Warlord

Sambuccashake wrote:

So, am I right in thinking the L96A1 is much more generous* when it comes to lining up headshot or is there indeed a substantial difference in deviation compared to the M24/M95?

*Generous = Giving headshots even if you're not technically aiming exactly where you "should".
I think it's more to do with accuracy, i.e. the bullet going where you're aiming. There's absolutely no question in my mind now that the M95 is the least accurate of the three. To put this in plain English: the Barrett will miss shots the other two will hit... miss the target entirely. But that's not the only issue as I hope will be confirmed by others who try the same or similar tests.

Gulf_War_Syndrome wrote:

The only factor that determines bullet drop is the air speed of the bullet. As far as I know, all sniper bullets travel at the same speed and therefore have the same bullet drop. It should be possible to examine the code to confirm this. In fact I'm sure someone has already done this and published the results here somewhere...
Obviously in the game the factor that determines bullet drop is the decision of the coders, that won't necessarily be related to the speed of the bullet. I doubt they included anything related to air resistance (a significant factor IRL) but they could have simply put in a numerical value for bullet drop, just as they did for deviations from the line of aim.

Mj.Blindfisch wrote:

If this were real rifles the scope would not be mounted properly,judging from the point of impact I'd say it is a bit tilted(I get the same points of impact with my airrifle when the scope is tilted a bit).
I know what you mean (you'd adjust for windage using a real scoped rifle) but in the game I suspect the problem is mostly to do with the orientation of the hitbox compared to the player model.

Mj.Blindfisch wrote:

Some people said that you have got to aim for the neck to get a headshot,maybe this explains it.
The neck? Very close (50m or less?) I'm sure this might work but at any range you have to aim for the upper portion of the head to ensure a one-shot kill.

Mj.Blindfisch wrote:

And sniping in BF2 is very different to other games,sometimes really frustrating(M95,uuaargh!!)... But hey,sometimes I hit stuff,sometimes I don't...
Yeah, that's the problem in a nutshell
Mj.Blindfisch
Bulletdrop-Buddha
+338|6839|Germany

Todd_Angelo wrote:

Mj.Blindfisch wrote:

The neck? Very close (50m or less?) I'm sure this might work but at any range you have to aim for the upper portion of the head to ensure a one-shot kill.
No,I meant aiming for the neck when they are prone on long range but you also gotta take bulletdrop in consideration...you basically aim above the head and then move a bit sideways towards the neck.

Last edited by Mj.Blindfisch (2006-06-27 08:10:54)

Todd_Angelo
Leukocyte
+336|6769|Warlord

Mj.Blindfisch wrote:

Todd_Angelo wrote:

Mj.Blindfisch wrote:

No,I meant aiming for the neck when they are prone on long range but you also gotta take bulletdrop in consideration...you basically aim above the head and then move a bit sideways towards the neck.
Ah, bugger, I wish I'd know this a short while ago as I just went and tested with my brother on an empty server. This is probably because the hit box for the head is slightly aft of the head graphic, which seems to be supported in 3/4 standing views too at times.

But this is sure to be useful to someone anyway and it also supported again, on a different server, some of the issues I hint at in my starting post. Range: 30m. Targets: various classes; I aimed at slightly different points for each area that would sort of naturally occur were you aiming quickly during a real match. Also because of the random movement animation for a still player it was sort of impossible to aim for exactly the same spot all the time anyway.

M95
Neck
kill
2 bars
2 bars
2 bars
2 bars
2 bars
2 bars
kill
2 bars
2 bars
no damage

Chin/Mouth
kill
kill
2 bars
2 bars
no damage
kill
2 bars
2 bars
kill

M24
Neck
kill
2 bars
2 bars
40%
40%
2 bars
2 bars
2 bars
kill
kill

Chin/Mouth
40%
40%
2 bars
2 bars
kill
40%

L96A1
Neck
2 bars
2 bars
2 bars
2 bars
2 bars
2 bars
2 bars
2 bars
2 bars
40%
40%
40%
40%
40%
kill

Chin/Mouth
no damage
kill
2 bars
kill
kill
kill
2 bars
kill
40%
40%

Shots to the nose or above, if they register, always kills. There appears to be little rhyme or reason for variations in hit damage. although there's a slight favour for armoured classes if you aim lower the medics seem to take the least damage consistently when directly facing the shooter if you aim for the neck because the model's default stance is different.

Bonus feature: shooting through supply crates with the M95
~30%
no damage
~20%
~30%
~20%
~30%
~20%
no damage
no damage
no damage
~20%
no damage
~20%
no damage
no damage
Mj.Blindfisch
Bulletdrop-Buddha
+338|6839|Germany
After seeing your post about the scope being off I got 17/0 today on Wake.
I just imagined the L96A1 is my crappy Russian airrifle with the badly adjusted scope - and suddenly I'm shooting like I usually do in my attic(Lego-figures on 15 meters can be quite a target if you want to headshot..).

+1 Karma for the hint in the right direction,just this little bit was needed to get my aim zeroed in again.
the_B3
BF2s EU 2142 Server Adore
+69|6784|The Netherlands
Try this for a interesting  change; Dalian plant - Shooter near the container between the cool-tower (if it's the right word) and the powerplant-base, target at the south-docs.
If the target is on top of the big red crane, you'll have to aim half a person-length above the target if the target is on the ground at similar distance, you have to aim slightly (~ 1 pic.) above the head. This occurs with all the rifles except with the M24.
I've tried this with similar situations i.o.w. target "above" the shooter or at "same hight" and most of the time it doesn't effect the M24's bullet-drop.
Maybe I mis-judged it and someone noticed something different but it sure effected my aim/hits in a positive way.
BUDFORCE
Moderator Emeritus
+76|6914|London UK

Ok I havnt done any testing but I have played the game for a while so...

What I can say from my expirience is this.

Firstly the M95 is a piece of shit, dont bother.

The L9A1 sniper does have bullet drop, but it is only very slight, In general just aim for teh head, and long range aim for teh top of the head, and EXTREME range, also aim for the top of the head, but right at the very top of the head. Again knowing exactly where to aim is just practise.

Ive never had any problems shoting a still target with this sniper rifle, and it is deadly accurate.

Iev also found the L9 to be the most accurate sniper rifle, along with the M24.

With regards to bullet drop, there is bullet drop on most weapons, and it can be most easily observed with the tank machine gun (note NOT the .50 cal on teh top), where you can quite clearly see bullet drop at long range.

Also it is easy to see it with teh cannon on the jets.

However in relation to teh other rifles, the deviation will affect aech shot more then the bullet drop anyway.

Take for example with say the AK-101, now a proned shot on single fire mode will only be SO accurate not matter how well you are aimed according to your iron sight.

The more important skill is to correctly judge how much you need a lead a moving target and various ranges, this is alot more difficult and is where the \'real skill\' in sniping lies.

Thankyou
Entertayner
+826|6713

This is a good thread guys... BUMP ^^
Mj.Blindfisch
Bulletdrop-Buddha
+338|6839|Germany
I just gotta say that the bars on the side of the L96A1 scope are the perfect tool for estimating bulletdrop,since I "use" them I nearly hit every time.
My sniper rifle KDR has gone up to 2.61 now,and it's constantly rising...
Twist
Too old to be doing this sh*t
+103|6665|Little blue planet, milky way
*sigh*

Ask ANY sniper in the game.... There IS no sweet spot. There IS no WAY WHATSOEVER so ensure a headshot each time, even on a totally imobile target (well, unless you move so close that his head covers your entire screen). The reason for this is deviation... Look it up in the Wiki. Whenever you fire a shot, it WILL fire a little bit to the left, right up or down compared to what you did the last time you fired the EXACT same shot. So even if you factor in movement (ok, you eliminate the by having a stationary target), sloping, distance, and bullet drop. YOU WILL NEVER hit the same spot twice... And if you do, it's pure luck. Ofcourse using the M24 or L96 you have LESS deviation than you do with say the M92 or SVD, but there is still SOME.

Feel free to test this by the EXACT same method as you used before, this time, just move closer and fire at the EXACT same spot each time. you will notice how the bullets do not hit the same spot each time.... And to add insult to injury, the faster you fire each shot, the higher the deviation.... Ofcourse this is primarily a problem with the autosnipers.
Todd_Angelo
Leukocyte
+336|6769|Warlord

Twist wrote:

Ask ANY sniper in the game....
I'm a sniper in the game in case it escaped your notice.

You need to stop sighing and actually run the test yourself Twist; unless my copy of BF2 is the only one this occurs in you'll see that deviation is not the only cause of 'misses', which is what I've been trying to help people realise. Yeah, we know about deviation but deviation doesn't make bullets vanish.
greenhaven
+47|6608
I am sorry for bumping this, but If I could get some clarification on this, that would help me greatly. In order to get a headshot, you have to aim two pixels above the head and one to the right. What is the 'point' from which the head deviations are calculated from? Is it the very top of the head? Help with this would be greatly appreciated, and thank you Todd for making this.

I use the L96A1.

Last edited by greenhaven (2006-09-26 16:58:39)

LT.Victim
+1,175|6705|British Columbia, Canada

greenhaven wrote:

I am sorry for bumping this, but If I could get some clarification on this, that would help me greatly. In order to get a headshot, you have to aim two pixels above the head and one to the right. What is the 'point' from which the head deviations are calculated from? Is it the very top of the head? Help with this would be greatly appreciated, and thank you Todd for making this.

I use the L96A1.
holy! someone who knows how to search!
SmackDowN
+5|6612
Very nice research you did to bring up all this to us, hope you get all your answers, here's a +1 karma for you
VspyVspy
Sniper
+183|6815|A sunburnt country
Good post guys, thanks for the tips.

I have tried sniping a little bit too and agree 100% with what was written above, good investigative skills Todd!!

It all comes down to this, if you miss the first time, keep firing until you get the kill.
PspRpg-7
-
+961|6840

Very nice research you've done there.
R3v4n
We shall beat to quarters!
+433|6629|Melbourne

A Very Good Thread about sniping.

As for hitting the same spot twice you can.

What i tried:
Joined a wake server fired at the door handel from the Essex gun at the back of the ship i hit the exact same spot twice.
~ Do you not know that in the service … one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?
greenhaven
+47|6608

LT.Victim wrote:

greenhaven wrote:

I use the L96A1.
holy! someone who knows how to search!
It was in Todd's sig, though I have read several other sniper guides found by the search function.

Last edited by greenhaven (2006-09-26 18:27:03)

Todd_Angelo
Leukocyte
+336|6769|Warlord
Welcome guys, hope it does its bit to help with some of the common head-scratchers when learning to snipe.

greenhaven wrote:

In order to get a headshot, you have to aim two pixels above the head and one to the right. What is the 'point' from which the head deviations are calculated from? Is it the very top of the head?
The aiming point depends on range; if the target is closer you won't be aiming above the visible head model at all (like in the second series of tests at 30m, you just aim directly at the point you want since bullet drop is negligible at that distance). At longer ranges you might have to aim a full head, half a body height or even more above the top of the head! This is one of those things you have to learn by experience, to get a 'feel' for... in time most people don't consciously think about aiming for ranges they're accustomed to.

Forgetting disappearing bullets, and deviation which can make you miss the point that you're aiming for (the bullet passes to either side, flies over the top or drops and hits a ledge or whatever), the thing to realise I think is that the scope's aim point is the centre of the monitor. The problem is there isn't one pixel at the centre of the monitor... it's a space between two pixels, or a 2x2 pixel block, depending on how you want to look at it... and the reticle bars are not necessarily centred either (see following post).

So you have to imagine the central point for whatever scope you're using, or to put it another way, you get used to the thickness of the reticles and aim accordingly. That's one reason the M95 is considered by so many to require more skill to use than the M24 or L96A1, because there's much more judgement required; this isn't the only reason of course, since its deviation is exactly double that of the other two bolt-action rifles so it is in real terms less accurate.

Another point that's worth bearing in mind is that the hitbox (what the server sees as the position of the player's body) is not necessarily in the same position as the visible player model. It's the server that calculates hits, not your own computer, but your computer displays the player model... so the visible player and the invisible hitbox can get out of sync, another reason for misses.
Todd_Angelo
Leukocyte
+336|6769|Warlord
Some additional screenshots to help with aim; the 2x2 square is placed centrally. These are done at 1024 x 768 with no antialiasing so you might want to do your own if you play at higher resolutions and with antialiasing on, just to check things remain the same.

The Type 88 and SVD both naturally aim fractionally up and to the left:

https://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h187/Todd_Angelo/Type88.png  https://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h187/Todd_Angelo/SVD.png

The M24 aims dead-on. I think you can see from this why some people think it's the most accurate:

https://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h187/Todd_Angelo/M24.png

The M95 is dead-on left to right, aims fractionally up if you use the bottom of the horizontal reticle:

https://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h187/Todd_Angelo/M95.png

The L96A1, surprisingly, aims dead-on left to right but fractionally up:

https://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h187/Todd_Angelo/L96A1.png

For thoroughness I also checked the SVD, M24 and M95 in Special Forces and the scopes are identical to those in BF2 (minor difference at this resolution with the SVD's scope but not related to the aiming point) so no need for any adjustments in aiming between SF and vanilla BF2.

These screenshots are at 200% and even though there's only a pixel or two in it this can make all the difference at longer ranges, where a head might only be two, three or four pixels wide.
SineNomine
Panzerblitz
+37|6865|SPARTA
hey todd, you're really into sniping, aren't you? +1 for your hints. helped me a lot today
Stormscythe
Aiming for the head
+88|6691|EUtopia | Austria
Whups, I just found out that my crosshairs are generally de-centered.

For me, M95 and M24 show the same dislocated position, the crosshair is located too high for both rifles (2 px each) and also off-centered for 2 pixels with the m95 (ch appears left to the center) and 1px to the left of the center for the M24 (the ch here is only 3px, so without anti-aliasing it's nothing but natural that there must be a deviation).

I couldn't test the whole stuff with the L96 so far, though...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard