[S.P.S]1on1killa
+28|6757|Germany, Berlin
Hi!

i was just wondering if there is a program out there which records how much power your power supply is delievering at certain times, eg. during gaming or just surfin the net.

thx

1on1killa
Btheswede
+-1|6542
I know of a free monitoring program that comes with ASUS motherboards you might be able to find it on their site. It allows you to monitor temps, voltages, and alot of other stuff. I know it works with other brands of motherboards too so it should work. The web address is www.asus.com
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6644|UK

Btheswede wrote:

I know of a free monitoring program that comes with ASUS motherboards you might be able to find it on their site. It allows you to monitor temps, voltages, and alot of other stuff. I know it works with other brands of motherboards too so it should work. The web address is www.asus.com
I have this. I think it will only work with ASUS boards and i don't know if you can download it
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6733

liquidat0r wrote:

Btheswede wrote:

I have this. I think it will only work with ASUS boards and i don't know if you can download it
yeah it only works w/ asus boards...

what board do u have?
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Btheswede
+-1|6542
Well here is a link to download it. It worked for gigabyte board I had at the office. Might of just been a compatible board though. Free download link below

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/ASUS_PC_Probe/1053033598/1
[S.P.S]1on1killa
+28|6757|Germany, Berlin
i have a MSI PT880 Neo

the ASUS program didnt work for me, thx for your help anyway

the reason why i was asking is because i might update from a 6600GT to a 7800, and i was wondering if my power supply will be able to handel the extra demand.

Last edited by [S.P.S]1on1killa (2006-06-23 09:19:41)

The Stillhouse Kid
Licensed Televulcanologist
+126|6658|Deep In The South Of Texas
dh124289
Anything but what it is now!
+11|6693
Does anyone have a good link to a site showing a breakdown of the power consumption of the various components in your PC?

My PC is running quite smoothly at the moment but I'm thinking of adding an extra two hard drives on a RAID card to use as storage, but I'm worried that it will put too much stress on my power supply.
a fly
+105|6661|The netherlands

dh124289 wrote:

Does anyone have a good link to a site showing a breakdown of the power consumption of the various components in your PC?

My PC is running quite smoothly at the moment but I'm thinking of adding an extra two hard drives on a RAID card to use as storage, but I'm worried that it will put too much stress on my power supply.
what power suply do you got now?
dh124289
Anything but what it is now!
+11|6693
450W running:

2.5 GHz P4 cpu + mobo
2.5Gb RAM
Geforce FX 5950 Ultra
2 x IDE HDDs
NIC
DVDRW
DVDROM
Floppy
Mouse
Keyboard
USB Joystick
USB headphones/mic
Creative sound card
a fly
+105|6661|The netherlands

dh124289 wrote:

450W running:

2.5 GHz P4 cpu + mobo
2.5Gb RAM
Geforce FX 5950 Ultra
2 x IDE HDDs
NIC
DVDRW
DVDROM
Floppy
Mouse
Keyboard
USB Joystick
USB headphones/mic
Creative sound card
dude, i dident ask how many Watt's, but model....   the 450watt is enough unless you plan to overclock, just make sure it has enough power cables left
DrM
+33|6638
PC's use very little in term of power, even when running games.

If you have a 400W or even a 350 you should be fine.
You will run into trouble if you start to overclock your CPU, RAM or GPU.
Overclocking will increase power very quickly.

As you have not stated the components of your rig, we cannot be 100% sure, but I very much doubt that upgrading from a 6800 to a 7800 will make any difference at all.

DrM
The Stillhouse Kid
Licensed Televulcanologist
+126|6658|Deep In The South Of Texas

dh124289 wrote:

eXtreme PSU Calculator
Janus67
Tech God
+86|6612|Ohio, USA
@ dh124289

the importance is not in the wattage, it is about the build quality of the power supply, partially the wattage, and more imporantly the number of amps on the +5 and +12V rails.
[S.P.S]1on1killa
+28|6757|Germany, Berlin
well, since many people here know about PSU, i would like to know what the best companies are.....im asking because i will soon upgrade to a 7800GS Plus, and i only have 420 watt.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6733

[S.P.S]1on1killa wrote:

well, since many people here know about PSU, i would like to know what the best companies are.....im asking because i will soon upgrade to a 7800GS Plus, and i only have 420 watt.
thats enough
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
[S.P.S]1on1killa
+28|6757|Germany, Berlin
haha, thx mate!! wait, my PSU is not from a "good" brand. in fact, i couldnt even find the internet site of it. the company is called "DELUX".

anyway, thx for your reply!
CrazeD
+368|6690|Maine
Good brands are Antec, OCZ, Ultra, Enermax, Cooler master, Thermaltake, .... that's all I can think of.

Although 420watts might be enough watts, check the amperage rating for the 12V+ rail. Around 25A is ideal, but a PSU with a dual 12V+ rail with a peak of around 35A is even better.

The thing about cheap PSU's that you want to keep in mind: If you draw too much from them, they can suddenly "blowup". That is, send a power surge through right as it dies, which, if you aren't lucky, will fry everything connected to it. That is why the PSU is the most critical component in your system.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard