krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6786|Great Brown North
shouldnt the shoulder fired weapons to more then go  "pling" off of an attack chopper when it hits right at the engines, or cockpit, or hell even the tail!?
polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6795|Singapore

shouldn't a helicopter be entirely obliterated when hit by a tank shell?

Shouldn't artillery collapse buildings and leave the entire area a sodden mess?

Shouldn't bombs be enough to obliterate one half of wake island in a single run?

Yes they all should. But  its a game..
C.Keen
Aliens Ate My Babysitter
+0|6815|UK

polarbearz wrote:

But its a game..
So true, but shhh, don't say it too loud, you'll upset the believers.
groll72
+0|6752

krazed wrote:

shouldnt the shoulder fired weapons to more then go  "pling" off of an attack chopper when it hits right at the engines, or cockpit, or hell even the tail!?
I think it's a bit weird that an APC will be destroyed by two hits from anti-tank missiles, or from tank shells, but a Blackhawk needs three rounds. It wouldn't hurt gameplay if the heli's were more vulnerable, say one hit for attack heli and two for transport to take them out.
Heli's are overpowered in the game when compared to tanks and apc's. I don't care if it's realistic or not but the gameplay does suffer from helis being so strong. Balance is poor in BF2 when it comes to airborne vehicles as there's no AA (or no usable AA).
dsb
+0|6783

groll72 wrote:

Heli's are overpowered in the game when compared to tanks and apc's. I don't care if it's realistic or not but the gameplay does suffer from helis being so strong. Balance is poor in BF2 when it comes to airborne vehicles as there's no AA (or no usable AA).
I find the AA to be pretty effective against choppers...against planes it's useless, but choppers are definitely hittable.
shortah
Oh did you want that tank?
+0|6777|Mechanicsville, VA
The only reason people complain about aa is because they have no earthly idea of how to use it.
groll72
+0|6752
I've had a lock on a Blackhawk moving away from me very slowly. It was actually moving from the possition of the AA I just entered. No flares was released from the Blackhawk and I had plenty of time to make the shot.

The first missile went only a few meters and then made an 80 degree turn and went for what I believe was an enemy jet, never caugh it though. The second missile mad what looked like an evasive movement around the Blackhawk and went for a friendly attack heli far away, I got two teamkills and two punish for that shot.

I've made a few successfull shots with AA but only when the target was the only airborne unit I could see and no flares were fired, and in some occasions when I didn't lock on the target.
DrDestruction
Utilityman
+1|6784
One hit for an attack helo?  Are you nuts?

That would mean that even the best of helo pilots would get shot down all the time trying to make strafing runs.
Michael4970
+0|6777
The AA sucks because any good pilot knows where they are and bomps the crap out of them as soon as you get in.  Same with the mobile AA guns.  They need another character class that has a stinger missle.  That way the infantry could actually defend itsself sometimes.

I would love to see the Gulf of Oman with no planes or helos.   That would give the tank lovers a great map for huge battles.
groll72
+0|6752
I'm not sure that the attack helis are well balanced today. I know that for many players the power of the attack heli is what makes it fun but the kill to death ratio of the attack heli is unbalanced. Either lessen the fire power or make it more vulnerable.
dsb
+0|6783

groll72 wrote:

I'm not sure that the attack helis are well balanced today. I know that for many players the power of the attack heli is what makes it fun but the kill to death ratio of the attack heli is unbalanced. Either lessen the fire power or make it more vulnerable.
I don't really understand this line of thinking.  Just because you get killed by choppers doesn't mean they're overpowered.  First of all, they SHOULD be more of an advantage than a tank or APC.  Why should they be "balanced" to not be a tactical advantage?

THe K/D ratio for a helicopter SHOULD be higher than the ratio for an infantry unit, a tank, or an APC.  They SHOULD be harder to hit and require more specialized counter measures.

I really don't understand why people think that an asset that SHOULD be superior to other assets should be nerfed just because they don't like to be killed by them.

Last edited by dsb (2005-11-11 08:19:48)

Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6843
Here Here. It can cut through 16 inches of steel but its "Confused" by plexi glass.

" Its allways funny untill someone gets hurt, Then its Hilareous "
Icleos
+101|6748

krazed wrote:

I've killed a few pilots by hitting the cockpit with an AT rocket.  =P
artuc
+0|6748
I personally enjoy the challenge of trying to shoot down a chopper with anti-tank. If its hovering within reasonable distance I can easily hit it. I managed to hit a chopper twice and it had seen me before I'd even fired the first. The pilot and gunner weren't idiots either.
nating75
+0|6783

DrDestruction wrote:

One hit for an attack helo?  Are you nuts?

That would mean that even the best of helo pilots would get shot down all the time trying to make strafing runs.
It would make them think twice before making the run wouldn't it. That's exactly what's needed. Right now heli's are basically afraid of nothing. They can camp at a base [with a good gunner, and pilot] and rape the crap out of the enemy. If only one or two AT rockets took them out they wouldn't be willing to camp as much.

Last edited by nating75 (2005-11-11 11:50:13)

[1stSSF]=Nuka=
Banned
+23|6756|PDX Metro Area, OR, US, SOL

Icleos wrote:

krazed wrote:

What's really fun is to aim at open doors and hit the ceiling, not the exterior...you should see how many folks call "hacker" when you take 'em out like that...I learned it by killing a hummer driver who went to the gun turret...killed him accidentally but kept the car completely intact...no damage...lol...talk about a bug.

If you see a laden flying bus, don't try to take it down...just take out everyone inside.
Kynon
+0|6764

[1stSSF]=Nuka= wrote:

Icleos wrote:

krazed wrote:

What's really fun is to aim at open doors and hit the ceiling, not the exterior...you should see how many folks call "hacker" when you take 'em out like that...I learned it by killing a hummer driver who went to the gun turret...killed him accidentally but kept the car completely intact...no damage...lol...talk about a bug.

If you see a laden flying bus, don't try to take it down...just take out everyone inside.
I agree with this fella 100%... There's nothing more satisfying than clearing out a Hummer through the hole in the back, or killing a BH pilot through the open side door with a rocket... Works with normal guns too, though... If they're close enough.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6786|Great Brown North
i just wish the anti tank rockets did more to helicopter then make the pilot note where my position was and then get the gunner to take me out so he can fly away and be repaired in 3-5 seconds at the pad before coming back to base rape some more
SMKpaladin
+0|6747|Germany
I too hate the fact that there is technically no way to bring down a chopper form the ground when the AA is already destroyed. EA should really think about the helo balance, it could be something like this:

- Helos can take one AT rocket and a few heavy machine gun bullets, but not to get it down with only one AT rocket, that would be too drastic a change. But it's still is an AT rocket, which stands for Anti-Tank, so it has enough power to penetrate the thick armor plating of a tank, an attack helo doesn't have such an armor plating.

- Helos can take the damage as they do now, but the respawn time is increased, it really sucks if you succesfully take down one helo and have it right at your back only a few seconds later, with the same pilots, who of course know where you are

- Like one of you said before, there could be an AA kit, if I remember correctly, in Desert Combat, the Battlefiedl 1942 MOD which BF2 is based upon, there was an AT kit with an AT rocket as primary weapon and a Stinger rocket as secondary. There could also be a limit to that AA kit, so that not the whole sky is full of stingers if someone says: Hostile Chopper inbound

- The whole AA stinger thing has to be redone! As far as I know, are the only 2 ways to avoid a locked-on stinger missle: a good timed chaff/flare or an obstacle in the missles way. But in BF2 this "locked-on" thing doesn't work very good, I can't understand why the locked-on missle makes a turn of about 45° into another direction???
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6772|Cambridge (UK)

[1stSSF]=Nuka= wrote:

Those Chinese heli's are the best for that - let them fly over head then AT rocket them from behind into the big wide open back door thing.

And those Chinese jeeps - the ones where you feel unbelievably vunerable sitting in the back - 'cos YOU ARE! Though, my favourite tactic with those is a burst of PKM into the back...
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6843

WAS THAT YOU !!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard