rglaf
+0|6710

puckmercury wrote:

rglaf wrote:

PLZ, go play Project Reality Mini Mod or something, BF2 isn't a simulator...
Well formed arguement, good discussion.
What more do you want me to say? I could have mentioned around 200-300 unrealistic elements in BF2. Mentioning all of them would take time and would have been boring to read.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6822|PNW

The exploits you point out are usually regarded as features. As Battlefield 2 is an online FPS (with minimal strategy elements) and not a simulator, some amount of unrealistic gameplay should be expected. Otherwise, you'd have a failure of a title that gives your character tetanus when you step on a rusty nail.

Additionally, to make a proper battle simulator of BF2's engine, you'd have to entirely rework the physics to comply with Havok architecture, expand the maps into the size of clusters of countries, and have only a few servers up...but with hundreds of thousands of players each. A good thing would possibly be to require training beforehand to use vehicles. Ultimately, you wouldn't have a Battlefield game.

puckmercury wrote:

See, this is my opinion, and I believe that of EA/Dice.  This game is a battle simulator.  How many battles or wars do you know that stay the same through their entire course?  I certainly can't think of any.  This is the most comprehensive and largest scale game of its type.  So, isn't it only natural to add/remove elements as the "war" develops?  People whine and moan about things the patches mess up for them, when in actuality it just forces them to find another niche and not be a one sided whore.  I've never seen a well rounded player moaning about the changes from a patch beyond game stability issues.  That's not what I'm really talking about anyway, just game content.

I've watched for a while before even joining the forums while people bitched about taking away the ability to fly a car using C4 ... 'cause that was ever realistic.  People moan about "team playing being dead" since they removed the ability to join a squad while dead and use the leader as a spawn point.  Now honestly, was that team play or an exploit of a game feature?  To play as a team implies some degree of consistency, if you're hopping around from team to team, even though you are IN a team, you are anything but a team player.

As for glitches in the game (rockets going through tanks, pistols killing tank/Helo drivers) take the good with the bad and look at all the exploits you still have.  How realistic is it to find magical fun boxes dropped from heaven that heal you, repair your vehicle, and re-arm you ... with no interaction whatsoever?  What about base jumping from 2-story buildings ... over and over again ... with no time to put away the chute.  Vehicles and weapons that mystically re-appear within seconds of being destroyed.  So please, the next time you start complaining because your Eryx shot went clear through the tank and TK'ed the guy on the other side, ask yourself, "Did I just fly here on a jet, bail out (destroying the million dollar equipment), float down, re-supply and heal from a magical funbox, and then dance around to get here?"

So, what does everyone else think?  Am I alone on this?

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-06-20 05:17:17)

PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6577|Portland, OR USA
Which goes to my point of balancing reality with fun.  I'm not arguing that elements in the game aren't willfully unrealistic.  Simply that they are done so for fun and amusement, and any detracting bug is offset by at least one unrealistic feature.  Overall, I still find it to be a simulator, just not as grand or tedious as it may be - which is a good thing in my opinion.
SEAL19
+3|6581
Okay whats the argument here?
LockerFish
+47|6756
wihtout reading the other replies, I like that thinking.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6731|Disaster Free Zone

puckmercury wrote:

People whine and moan about things the patches mess up for them, when in actuality it just forces them to find another niche and not be a one sided whore.  I've never seen a well rounded player moaning about the changes from a patch beyond game stability issues.
<----stats am i not well rounded, it may not be perfectly balanced but i haven't seen too many more rounded accounts. And I complain.

puckmercury wrote:

People moan about "team playing being dead" since they removed the ability to join a squad while dead and use the leader as a spawn point.  Now honestly, was that team play or an exploit of a game feature?  To play as a team implies some degree of consistency, if you're hopping around from team to team, even though you are IN a team, you are anything but a team player.
Team Player or squad player?? Team player means your playing for the good of your TEAM, not your squad, if changing squads means you can help your team to win then it very obviously TEAM PLAY. If you do it just to get to the battle quicker to get more kills, then no you are there for your own gains not the teams.

puckmercury wrote:

As for glitches in the game (rockets going through tanks, pistols killing tank/Helo drivers) take the good with the bad and look at all the exploits you still have.  How realistic is it to find magical fun boxes dropped from heaven that heal you, repair your vehicle, and re-arm you ... with no interaction whatsoever?  What about base jumping from 2-story buildings ... over and over again ... with no time to put away the chute.  Vehicles and weapons that mystically re-appear within seconds of being destroyed.  So please, the next time you start complaining because your Eryx shot went clear through the tank and TK'ed the guy on the other side, ask yourself, "Did I just fly here on a jet, bail out (destroying the million dollar equipment), float down, re-supply and heal from a magical funbox, and then dance around to get here?"
Errrr does this just not make sense or am i just not reading your logic right. Its a game, there are limitations and its unrealistic. But the bugs and glitch's are not replaced by a 'magical funbox' the 'magical funbox' replaces the fact that your not in a convoy of 30 tanks with 100's troops and other armored vehicles like would happen in a real invasion/war. Respawns, rearming are there for the same reason, there is very few of what you are compared to what would really happen in war.

puckmercury wrote:

Am I alone on this?
Probbly not but then I'm defiantly not 'with' you.
AlphaMale
AKA <{SoE}>Agamemnar
+16|6576
America's Army is more of a simulator than this.

BF2 is a kiddy arcade game compared to the physics and realism of AA.
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6577|Portland, OR USA
I suppose I was never trying to say this was the most realistic example of a battle simulator or that it couldn't be made more realistic.  That gets back to what I say saying when I spoke of balancing fun and enjoyability with reality.  I realize why the magical funboxes are there.  I KNOW that is not realistic.  My point is them being there more than compensates for any number of other detractions players may experience with this (or any other) version, as does base jumping, etc etc.

As to how you interpret team player, I was being more specific.  I take it as granted that if you are on the MEC team, you aren't sniping your commander, blowing up the UAV trailer or tooling around in the innermost captured base.  These aren't good for your own points, so why would anyone actually trying to play do that?  I was speaking of the less macroscopic meaning of team play which is the squad based aspect.  Every time I heard it mentioned it was usually followed by a "team play is dead" comment, so I was trying to maintain vernacular.  Anyway, good squad play is good team play.

To your point, DrunkFace, you ARE a well rounded player.  I didn't mean to say no well rounded player would have an issue, just that I hadn't noticed it.  I would hope to be as well rounded and efficient as you at some point.  For the time being, I enjoy a great game at whatever you would call my skill level.

Last edited by puckmercury (2006-06-20 20:32:01)

Tjasso
the "Commander"
+102|6573|the Netherlands

SEAL19 wrote:

if you ever played Operation Flashpoint, you would feel alot differently about BF2
A Hooah !! with an expansionCD in a BOX !! YEAH !!

Last edited by Tjasso (2006-06-22 18:44:41)

BallisticallyYours
+23|6681|Chicago, IL

TrollmeaT wrote:

Agreed, people need to get more of a life if all they have to complain about is a stupid game.
The real game of life is much more frustrating, Bills, more bills, car payment, house payment, food, water, gas, work, overtime,gf,pet.
Just wish the unsatisfied would stop playing so the rest of us could enjoy our stay.
Sheep of War
+40|6693
Definatly not a simulator. Not even close.
LoMaX
+24|6585|Sweden is banned from hell ;)

908741059871059781 wrote:

Definatly not a simulator. Not even close.
Now I really think I got it right.. BF2 is more like "real life" and my ownage life is "simulated"? Perhaps there is another thang to this at the end - like the sausage has two? I dunno.. but BF2 rocks aswell!

Cool / LoMaX
messfeeder
+31|6578|Gotham
BF2 sucks....hey guys, wanna play BF2?
eusgen
Nugget
+402|6842|Jupiter
Last time i checked BF2 was a game....
LoMaX
+24|6585|Sweden is banned from hell ;)

messfeeder wrote:

BF2 sucks....hey guys, wanna play BF2?
Ok.. can I join your squad?
Wasder
Resident Emo Hater
+139|6725|Moscow, Russia
Yeah, Operation Flashpoint is a sweet game...It had really huge enviroments and good graphics for the time it was released. Not to say about it's fun and realism.  I wish the remake of it will come out sometime soon.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard