PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6542|Portland, OR USA
See, this is my opinion, and I believe that of EA/Dice.  This game is a battle simulator.  How many battles or wars do you know that stay the same through their entire course?  I certainly can't think of any.  This is the most comprehensive and largest scale game of its type.  So, isn't it only natural to add/remove elements as the "war" develops?  People whine and moan about things the patches mess up for them, when in actuality it just forces them to find another niche and not be a one sided whore.  I've never seen a well rounded player moaning about the changes from a patch beyond game stability issues.  That's not what I'm really talking about anyway, just game content.

I've watched for a while before even joining the forums while people bitched about taking away the ability to fly a car using C4 ... 'cause that was ever realistic.  People moan about "team playing being dead" since they removed the ability to join a squad while dead and use the leader as a spawn point.  Now honestly, was that team play or an exploit of a game feature?  To play as a team implies some degree of consistency, if you're hopping around from team to team, even though you are IN a team, you are anything but a team player.

As for glitches in the game (rockets going through tanks, pistols killing tank/Helo drivers) take the good with the bad and look at all the exploits you still have.  How realistic is it to find magical fun boxes dropped from heaven that heal you, repair your vehicle, and re-arm you ... with no interaction whatsoever?  What about base jumping from 2-story buildings ... over and over again ... with no time to put away the chute.  Vehicles and weapons that mystically re-appear within seconds of being destroyed.  So please, the next time you start complaining because your Eryx shot went clear through the tank and TK'ed the guy on the other side, ask yourself, "Did I just fly here on a jet, bail out (destroying the million dollar equipment), float down, re-supply and heal from a magical funbox, and then dance around to get here?"

So, what does everyone else think?  Am I alone on this?
AMTXP
+13|6668|California, USA
Interesting idea. Don't really think it is a "simulator" per say.

- Andrew

Last edited by AMTXP (2006-06-16 15:14:24)

Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6700|Espoo, Finland
I wouldn't call it a simulator either.

Basicaly it's just another FPS...
(IMO of course)
farmerfez
o wut?
+78|6546

woh dude...ur takin BF2 waaaay to seriously lol.
*TS*tphai
The Forum Alien
+89|6821|The planet Tophet
i like your way of thinking
l41e
+677|6663

So we're not allowed to complain about bugs because it's not a simulator?

Is it just me or is there no logic in this?

Last edited by k30dxedle (2006-06-16 15:26:07)

Vintageologist
Tankbuster
+31|6773|Vienna, Austria
Actually the Idea of the guy who "invented" the original BF was to put different simulations together.

Btw I don't get what the rocket-through-vehicle bug has to do with the supply crates... one is clearly a bug that hinders the player to play the game like he should be while the other one is just a non-realistic feature of the game.
Spider1980
#1 Commander
+92|6557|Washington
what.. the.. fuck.. are.. you.. talking.. about >?
SEAL19
+3|6546
if you ever played Operation Flashpoint, you would feel alot differently about BF2

Last edited by SEAL19 (2006-06-16 18:46:33)

PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
My point in all this is that it is a simulator - and take the good with the bad.  I think you'll find much more good than bad ... obviously ... you're still playing it.  And if not, why are you reading this?  Of course its not perfect and of course you shouldn't stop bitching about whatever the hell you want to bitch about, but at the end of the day, these were just my thoughts on the matter I suppose.  Just seems that a lot of people get caught up in the "Who Moved my Cheese" bullshit and lose sight of an awesome game.
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6688|Colorado
Agreed, people need to get more of a life if all they have to complain about is a stupid game.
The real game of life is much more frustrating, Bills, more bills, car payment, house payment, food, water, gas, work, overtime,gf,pet.
chuuby
+19|6633
i agree. i think people bitch way to much about this gameand how crappy the game is.  funny thing is they still play it. also when people say why did they put out a game that isnt perfect. can anyone name one game that has ever been put out that hasnt needed some kind of patch. also 1/2 the patches have been because of all the cry babies wanting something changed.  but anyways good post. also i understand complaing about bugs. but did we really need a new patch to stop people from bunny hopping. i hate the hoppers also but i could live with it.

Last edited by chuuby (2006-06-16 21:49:07)

eagles1106
+269|6599|Marlton, New Jersey.
your right, i think why the hell do ppl complain so much, i mean this is the only game like this out there right now....

i came up with a quote

"at first, one thinks bf2 is teh awesome! but when one gets used to teh awesome'ness, they want to make it better, thus they start to complain" ~eagles1106
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42

Vintageologist wrote:

Actually the Idea of the guy who "invented" the original BF was to put different simulations together.

Btw I don't get what the rocket-through-vehicle bug has to do with the supply crates... one is clearly a bug that hinders the player to play the game like he should be while the other one is just a non-realistic feature of the game.
which is exactly why I use the word battle and not FPS.  It is a driving sim, a flight sim, and a FPS among others.  And as for what the rocket bug has to do with it, that is really what I'm trying to get at.  For every bug or exploit, you can find at least 2 features to offset them.  As with any simulation or even arcade game, reality has to be weighed against fun and enjoyability.  Even with the exploits and bugs, I'm willing to bet people enjoy hiding in buildings and pissing everybody off.  Do I do it?  Certainly not - it is unsportsmanlike and defeats the purpose for which I play it.  But not everyone plays by that logic.  Even this is really accomodated with the option for a ranked or an unranked server.  If you want to play like an asshat, go into an unranked server - they're for learning and #$%^ing around.  If you want to legitimately play, go into a ranked server.  <shrug>

Last edited by puckmercury (2006-06-17 19:26:11)

DarkZealot89
Wait A Minute!
+46|6563|Louisville, Ky
"Did I just fly here on a jet, bail out (destroying the million dollar equipment), float down, re-supply and heal from a magical funbox, and then dance around to get here?"

FTW, so good I added to my sig and +1 you
Knight`UK
Lollerstorycarpark
+371|6595|England

TrollmeaT wrote:

Agreed, people need to get more of a life if all they have to complain about is a stupid game.
The real game of life is much more frustrating, Bills, more bills, car payment, house payment, food, water, gas, work, overtime,gf,pet.
i agree with you m8 but you left out the most frustrating thing of all in real life "the ive got itchy nuts in public and ive got nowhere to scratch them"

DarkZealot89
Wait A Minute!
+46|6563|Louisville, Ky
RL sucks, if you get lag out there... your screwed!

J/K I <3 RL and all its pitfalls
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42

DarkZealot89 wrote:

"Did I just fly here on a jet, bail out (destroying the million dollar equipment), float down, re-supply and heal from a magical funbox, and then dance around to get here?"

FTW, so good I added to my sig and +1 you
Long live the magical funbox!!!11

Our funboxes go to 11.
PspRpg-7
-
+961|6713

Gawwad wrote:

I wouldn't call it a simulator either.

Basicaly it's just another FPS...
(IMO of course)
BMF-Nichman
+6|6552

puckmercury wrote:

My point in all this is that it is a simulator - and take the good with the bad.  I think you'll find much more good than bad ... obviously ... you're still playing it.  And if not, why are you reading this?  Of course its not perfect and of course you shouldn't stop bitching about whatever the hell you want to bitch about, but at the end of the day, these were just my thoughts on the matter I suppose.  Just seems that a lot of people get caught up in the "Who Moved my Cheese" bullshit and lose sight of an awesome game.
lol, who moved my cheese, that cracks me up
rglaf
+0|6675
PLZ, go play Project Reality Mini Mod or something, BF2 isn't a simulator...
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42

rglaf wrote:

PLZ, go play Project Reality Mini Mod or something, BF2 isn't a simulator...
Well formed arguement, good discussion.
herrr_smity
+156|6643|space command ur anus
full spectrum warrior is a battle simulator.
battlefield 2 is counter strike withe planes and tanks (but its the best game in the world)

Last edited by herrr_smity (2006-06-19 05:19:21)

LoMaX
+24|6550|Sweden is banned from hell ;)
Well.. this was an interesting thread..

I think I agree that it is some kind of "battle sim".. but hey.. why not make it more lika AA then.. One round event.. when the A-10 crashes or gets blown up.. it's gone until next round.. as with all equipment and personnel.. to "simulate reality"?

And perhaps add an electrical chock treatment if you TK or pay a fine to the family member you TK'd.. just kidding.. It's just a game.

/zhaman

Last edited by LoMaX (2006-06-19 05:43:16)

RTG_FUCKYOU
+0|6537
God he is a noob why are we listening to him anyway?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard