Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6766|Cambridge (UK)

=Robin-Hood= wrote:

...over-exampling (if there ever is such a word ...
The words you were looking for are 'an over-generalisation'. (please don't take as criticism - honestly trying to help a non-native english speaker)

@Scorpion0x17 Aah that's what you mean... Ok, let's place some anti-linguist-say-more's...
Oooh, now I don't know what you meant by "anti-linguist-say-more's". Can you clarify?
=Robin-Hood=
A stranger in the dark
+213|6820|Belgium

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

"anti-linguist-say-more's". Can you clarify?
That should have been a word game hinting at claymore... But I've got the message, time for bed now...
R
fikraag7
j00baroni w/ l33t sauce
+1|6755

Hey Robin-Hood don't worry about not speaking English well (I like the Monty Python quote by the way) but there are plenty of native speakers who can't write as well as you. As far as my annoying sentence, well, it's a combo l33t/stupid sentence designed to be an example of the idiocy that I speak of.

The translation, if you need it, is "Wow, you losers ought not to be such dumbasses"
Scorpion0x17
+691|6766|Cambridge (UK)

=Robin-Hood= wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

"anti-linguist-say-more's". Can you clarify?
That should have been a word game hinting at claymore... But I've got the message, time for bed now...
R
I get it now. Yes, but no, that is not strictly anti-linguist more anti-people-that-think-they're-linguists-when-they're-not (who don't understand the nature of language).
dan500
+57|6847
learn what, dunnos what u on about m8 gamer?
=Robin-Hood=
A stranger in the dark
+213|6820|Belgium

fikraag7 wrote:

Hey Robin-Hood don't worry about not speaking English well (I like the Monty Python quote by the way) but there are plenty of native speakers who can't write as well as you. As far as my annoying sentence, well, it's a combo l33t/stupid sentence designed to be an example of the idiocy that I speak of.
The translation, if you need it, is "Wow, you losers ought not to be such dumbasses"
OMG I've never been so miscomprehended in such a short succession... It's not that such sentences are unreadable but more that it acquires so much more effort and thus are being skipped more often.

As for the writing skillz... F7 is my knight in shining armor… Word man Word

@Scorpio, I agree, misspelling sentence as sentance should not be sentenced… But those mind-boggling ascii phrases… Well, I’ve made my mad point by now.

Goodnight,
R

Last edited by =Robin-Hood= (2005-11-06 16:53:56)

Scorpion0x17
+691|6766|Cambridge (UK)

dan500 wrote:

learn what, dunnos what u on about m8 gamer?
Now this does annoy me! Please quote what you are responding to!
<eN>Madcat
+2|6841
OMG LOL GUYS Oots soooo hilarus.  I wish al da dumbasses wuld stop speling liek ckrap.

Agrees.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6766|Cambridge (UK)

<eN>Madcat wrote:

OMG LOL GUYS Oots soooo hilarus.  I wish al da dumbasses wuld stop speling liek ckrap.

Agrees.
Scottish ?
IronGeek
One Shot, One Kill
+4|6794|Canberra, Australia
https://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/sir_phil/read.jpg

But hey it is always important to read what others write no matter what the language....
chickenmuncher
+2|6751| U.S.A.
HAHAHA one thing I have to comment is: That this is probably the most correcting punctuated  forum yet. Also, the picture with the girl and the shirt,(took me long enough to figure out "l41d") is hilarious.
fikraag7
j00baroni w/ l33t sauce
+1|6755

she's...cute!
IronGeek
One Shot, One Kill
+4|6794|Canberra, Australia
Yeah she is....

If only I knew a girl like that.  Or a girl for that matter
SysTray
"Generous mods" < Thats right Systray !
+180|6821|Delaware

B.Schuss wrote:

I guess for me it's ok as long as I can understand what the person is talking about.

furthermore, as a non-native speaker of english, it is always funny and interesting to me to learn about various slang expressions and see how young folks in the US talk and / or write.
One thing I learned a little while ago is to never say "furthermore". Obviously if you have more text you're still talking, hence rendering "furthermore" rendudant and ultimately useless.
VirtuaLResistancE
ArmChair Warrior
+4|6755|NH - USA

SysTray wrote:

B.Schuss wrote:

I guess for me it's ok as long as I can understand what the person is talking about.

furthermore, as a non-native speaker of english, it is always funny and interesting to me to learn about various slang expressions and see how young folks in the US talk and / or write.
One thing I learned a little while ago is to never say "furthermore". Obviously if you have more text you're still talking, hence rendering "furthermore" rendudant and ultimately useless.
Its a conjunctive adverb and its used to join two clauses together.

The word is very useful if you know how to use it; furthermore, you might want to consider a new teacher.

You also spelled redundant wrong.

https://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y148/PANZER420/laffpuppet01.gif

This is a fun game!

Last edited by VirtuaLResistancE (2005-11-07 00:31:30)

SrA_Shady
Slimshady -- The Real Medic
+0|6764|Sumter, South Carolina
The only bad grammar is ebonics.  anyone speaking ebonics should be shot on the spot.
BladeRunner
+5|6748|UK
As for the girl in the pic...nice pic..she's prettier than pretty! The only problem is, I'm now of an age where I'm close to being dragged off by the local constabulary for thinking such things!

So...I'll just say...that thos slices of bread on the table behind her look like they've been PWN3D by that cellophane
beeng
Get C4, here!
+66|6786

SrA_Shady wrote:

The only bad grammar is ebonics.  anyone speaking ebonics should be shot on the spot.
word!
=Robin-Hood=
A stranger in the dark
+213|6820|Belgium

SrA_Shady wrote:

He tryin' to act linguist. He think who the hell he is? Me think understand not ebonics…
LoL, this getting truly fun, me do this day long 
R
MurrayP
PKM Assasin
+0|6809|USA, IL
A 'Prieview' button as featured in other forums would be noce to proofread.... Otherwies I just submit and if I get the point across... good for me.
MurrayP
PKM Assasin
+0|6809|USA, IL
4nd wow...... sh3's  D3F1N4TLY  "1ayab1e"
beeng
Get C4, here!
+66|6786

fikraag7 wrote:

she's...cute!
she's -hungarian- [im guessing, as it's from a hungarian site]
I thought everyone knew eastern european chicks were -uber- hot.... until they reached the ripe age of 35... then the fat hairy gene kicks in.
beeng
Get C4, here!
+66|6786

With the recent influx of people to bf2s I have noticed a sharp decrease in legible posts.  So, I've come crawling back to this thread to read some properly formatted posts... and see who else learned grammar/spelling in school ;D
*TS*tphai
The Forum Alien
+89|6806|The planet Tophet
haha go beeng I hate english i always fall asleep in that class! By the way beeng do you have a wife or anything? Because you always have a hot girl on your thingy
broncobullfrog
Extra Tender Juicy SPINY
+58|6751|The 70's
'The cat sat on the mat.' Tihs is gamrcallitmay crroect, but is nehteir itrenintseg nor revaenlt. This, on the other hand, isn't and is.

Quand tout le monde a tort, tout le monde a raison.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard