DirtyMexican
I knife Generals
+278|6555|Search Whore killing fields
i like commanding USMC on the carriers. I just go to radar tower
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6545|Portland, OR USA
Not to jump on any bandwagon here, but a commander has no real business driving a vehicle or taking up an effective offensive spot in one.  What I mean by this is sitting in a transport in the non-driving or main gun position, or riding within an APC.  These are rarely active positions anyway and if you need those last couple hours of time in a vehicle for a badge, eh - not too terrible of a stat padding offense.  I suppose it does qualify as that when the chips are down, though.  I would not classify the helo gunner or top mounted gun in this category as they are effective offensive positions.  Every kill you get takes away from your commander score as that is 2 fewer points for your team to score.  Alright, i'll get off the bandwagon now ...
-MIKI3.
+70|6662|The Netherlands
because you can't command and fly (or whatever vehicle you're in) at the same time -_- and yes I'll kick anybody who's fighting while being commander.
viserov
+9|6692|Atlanta
The only time I go into a vehicle (transport, not armor) as commander is if I am in our uncappable main and I know for a fact that no one on my time needs it (such as the south MEC base on Sharqi, or the Chinese uncap in Dalian). I get my transport time up and I can immediately jump into the gunner spot and kill anyone who enters the uncap to take out assets or try to steal vehicles/armor. If someone needs a vehicle that I am in, I'll hop out and give it to them, or drop them one from the sky.
the_ubernoob_
+8|6762
There is nothing wrong with commanding from some vehicles.

Commanders should never be in the pilot seat of any aircraft.

Commanding from a jeep is ok, The commanding from jeep can be helpful for the team for two important reasons.
The commander can actually defend the main base from choppers with the .50 cal machine gun.  Also, if the commander is engineer, the commander can repair his utilities much faster than using the wrench or calling in a supply drop (which is better used to supply his team)

Commanding from an armored vehicle is iffy, it depends on the map and server population.  Vehicle light maps like Sharqi have few armor and they should be left to the team to use.  Kubra dam has tons of armor and a spare tank is usually lying around.

Commanding from the gunner seat of choppers/bombers is the same as the above.  If there are enough teammates, let them have the seat.  But if there is a spare seat, its better to use it during the commander utility cool-down times than to leave the seat empty.
-=|BW|=-Hollow_Moon
+5|6773
I dont think its that you cant command & use a vehicle at the same time. Obviously you can, but every moment you have to quickly give an order, or place an assett is a moment another player, without that vehicle could be taking enemy tickets & every moment you are taking enemy tickets is another moment you could be doing the job of commanding more effectively.
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6649|Washington, DC

I can't remember who said it, but:

"Commanding and fighting is like driving on a foggy highway at 80MPH and talking on your cell phone and steering with one hand"
dubbs
+105|6650|Lexington, KY
First off, this is in the wrong forum section.  Should be in BF2 Chatter, can a mod change it to the correct forum?

Second, as stated earlier, commanding from a vehicle is agaist the ROE.  I am for sure that if you are caught doing this, you can get your stats erased.  Also, tell me when you have seen a commander actually just sit in a vehicle and command? 

Also, a commander should stay backline.  If I am a soldier, I do not want to wait an extra 15 seconds for my commander to place UAV overhead when I need it.  If the server is not very populated, yea, then they can fight, but they should remember that their commanding duties should come first.  I have seen to many times, that when commanders fight, they only provide UAV/supply drops/arty/vechile drops to their location, even if there are no enemy soldiers around, while I am in the heat of battle.

That just my two copper coins.
Eboreus
Member of Foamy's Card Cult
+46|6666
the ROE, viper was refering to, are not the ones that belong to a specific server and they also do not fit into a server splash screen because they are way too long - they are EAs official ROE and thus everyone should know them before joining any server (or at least know the most vital points).

I dont think that commanders belong into vehicles as well - however I do think that commanders need to fight at times, to defend their homebase or prevent a close flag from being taken over

vehicles however should be avaliabel fulltime for the other teammembers imo
Viper38
+118|6689

Eboreus wrote:

the ROE, viper was refering to, are not the ones that belong to a specific server and they also do not fit into a server splash screen because they are way too long - they are EAs official ROE and thus everyone should know them before joining any server (or at least know the most vital points).

I dont think that commanders belong into vehicles as well - however I do think that commanders need to fight at times, to defend their homebase or prevent a close flag from being taken over

vehicles however should be avaliabel fulltime for the other teammembers imo
That’s a very good point which I didn’t really make clear ... the RoE I was referring to are EA's own rules and transcend any local server rules
splixx
ChupaCABRA
+53|6757|Omaha, Nebraska
Ug these type of people drive me nuts... Yes the ones that drive around and think they are commanding and not doing spotting for the team... bleh
Phrozenbot
+632|6634|do not disturb

If there are a few tanks or APCs no one is touching in the back of the base because the front-line is now near the otherside of the map, I'll take the tank and move to a flag where the enemy might sneak and take. I can defend it easily then. Mostly though, I just arty a base being capped and hopefully I can defend it.

I can't believe being in a tank while commanidng is against the ROE. If you've played on some of the EF and AF maps, you will know that there is a lot of armor that no one uses. It wouldn't hurt anyone if you sat it in unless your team is losing too many flags and less armor.
Twinn
+3|6549|Milwaukee, WI
I only hop in a vehicle when we have no flags and my soldiers are tking eachother for jets. Than its time to take matters into your own hands.

I do hate it though when a commander is flying around or tanking it out and your in need of supplys or a uav, they end up dropping supplys 100m at your previous position, because they finally finished capping that flag or killing that guy. Only to take off again dropping uavs only at their position.
pfc_toecutter
meatshield
+38|6636|Houston, TX
I have 28 points and 28 minutes as commander.  I good.
the_B3
BF2s EU 2142 Server Adore
+69|6660|The Netherlands
Thnx for the -1 Mr. John Doe (nice if people mention there name in the karma box ).
I just told NOT to command in a vehicle, I'm against it. And I got a -1 for commanding in a vehicle??
This karma-thing is not good for the heart... there goes my unlock
eusgen
Nugget
+402|6811|Jupiter
Follow server rules and stfu.
Dr_3V|L
+51|6743|Twente, The Netherlands
Commanding while in vehicles can be done effectively... but not by many people. It's very hectic and should only be done when:
1. Your team is worthless and not capping any flags, so you should try and do so;
2. The number of people on your team is not high, thus one extra man may be needed to win the round;
3. Nobody on your team is taking the vehicles, even after you said somebody should take them.
Perhaps I forgot some other reasons too.

I rarely play as commander for my playtime. But if I do, I stay back and help my team as much as I can. This mostly means I'm at a back flag defending, and at the same time commanding. Sometimes, I hop into a vehicle and try to cap a flag... but only when my team sucks ass.
Urohawk
+0|6541
All I have to say is what about the times when your team is to @*&^#%@ stupid to take the tank and it is continuously is stolen by the enemy.  Can I command and drive then?  At that point it's usually impossible to win with 2 tank whores on one side.
LoMaX
+24|6553|Sweden is banned from hell ;)

Sin-nisterMinister wrote:

Cbass wrote:

Commanders shouldn't fight. A good commander will run a sat scan everytime it's available to keep constant track of every enemy on the battlefield. Also keep track of his squads and spot enemy's for them. If a commander is flying hes not going to see he just sent his infantry squad into the enemy flag where 2 tanks and an APC are waiting. It's also a good idea to run a UAV for a squad entering a flag. I guess a commander can do his job and fight, but there is no way a fighting commander can do his job to it's fullest. A dead commander is a useless commander.
Well said.  If you're commander and capping flags and fighting, it sounds like you're using the commander assets for your own benefit instead of your team's.  I'd vote yes for kick.
Agreed. The One instance I would use a vehicle as Commander .. would be a sand buggy.. to not lay camping in the sweetspot for SpecOps in base.. sometimes on some maps just too obvious, would you not agree? Like Great Wall.

Be Engineer.. scan the base make a quick repair if necessary.. and move.

Go hiding.. and let your Men keep fighting the WAR.. hehe.

/ Lomax

Last edited by LoMaX (2006-06-19 06:42:59)

LoMaX
+24|6553|Sweden is banned from hell ;)

DirtyMexican wrote:

i like commanding USMC on the carriers. I just go to radar tower
+1 for letting me know.. /LoMax ( The BF2 Taliban.. hehe..)

Last edited by LoMaX (2006-06-19 06:54:50)

Lexington1971
+1|6692
One thing that no-one has mentioned here is enjoyment. It can be kinda boring being commander. So as commander I usually stay back at base and be full-time command, but if I get bored crapless I might take a tank out for a spin.

I know this isn't optimal (lose commander points; should save for the team) but ffs the game is supposed to be fun, not a chore!

So, I make the position that limited armor use is acceptable, but as someone else said very well, you need to be prioritizing the wellbeing of your team over your own personal scoring success.
Dr_3V|L
+51|6743|Twente, The Netherlands

Lexington1971 wrote:

But as someone else said very well, you need to be prioritizing the wellbeing of your team over your own personal scoring success.
Not many people make the right choice at that moment.
jamiet757
+138|6641

TF501|Slee wrote:

Viper, yeah, I suppose if the ROE are clearly stated in the server splash screen while you join or in in-game messages that's one thing.  If you're booted unceremonisly, that's another.  Regardless, it still seems an arbitrary policy to me.
It is your responsability as a player to know the rules of the server you are playing on, and know the rules of the game.  You cant expect someone to tell you what to do all the time...grow some balls and be a man, most servers have their webiste on the splash screen and they state that their rules are located there, if not on the splash screen itself.  dont expect everything to be exactly the way you want it, just because you are some spoiled little prick who is used to getting what he wants and the hell with everyone else.  its people like you that make me sick, and make me hate the world.  its also people like you who i shit on their food before i serve it to them for being a dick.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard