Ryan
+1,230|6842|Alberta, Canada

alright i apologize. sorry bout what i said.
General_Nuts
+1|6770
this never annoyed me before, but now that ive read the post, it'l probably be in the back of my mind from now on...
elbowdeeplove
BWNED!!!
+0|6781|Texas

dshak wrote:

Ah Ryan, still no reply to the fact that you are living and breathing target practice for everyone else.  You can keep talking smack, but it doesn't mean a thing coming from someone who dies 18 times more than me every hour he plays and has 500 more deaths than kills... many, many, MANY people can talk smack to me about this game, you, aren't one of them

Oh, no, god I'm stupid! you even put it in caps. searching for a rope to hang myself with now... why... didn't... I... realize... I.... was... stupid....
BWNED!!
NJG HukaMaster
+1|6774
Yes agreed.  My superior tactics kick your L33T Arse, and I kissed your mother last night.
elbowdeeplove
BWNED!!!
+0|6781|Texas

NJG HukaMaster wrote:

Yes agreed.  My superior tactics kick your L33T Arse, and I kissed your mother last night.
heh you should have said I bwned your mother last night.
divided
Clear!
+3|6772
I bwned your mother last night.
MattCicioni
+1|6828|Arizona
I prefer to make up my own lingo when I game.  I replace all the normal words with food products.  This tends to confuse the hell out of my squad mates.

Oh, I just pickeled your ass.

Hostile Cheese spotted.

Salami, right here!

Attack the refrigerator.

Zuccini, inbound!

You're the worst taco I've ever seen.

I'm gonna bust a cap in your lettuce leaves!

Suck olives!
thinner44
+1|6809

MattCicioni wrote:

I prefer to make up my own lingo when I game.  I replace all the normal words with food products.  This tends to confuse the hell out of my squad mates.

Oh, I just pickeled your ass.

Hostile Cheese spotted.

Salami, right here!

Attack the refrigerator.

Zuccini, inbound!

You're the worst taco I've ever seen.

I'm gonna bust a cap in your lettuce leaves!

Suck olives!
Very very funny

As to the original post, and I am by no means an expert. Some posts can be difficult to read/understand by the overuse of jargon, slang, whatever you want to call it, but most posts are to the point, "f*ck you noob.". There, I've said it, and I also understand it. 'Netspeak' is now fundamentally part of the English language, so is 'textspeak'. What worries me though is the intergration of old and new, when clearly the old cannot understand the new and will in some cases, dismiss new. However, I'm old and I do understand new, new also understands old, which it would, as old has been around for a very long time, but in itself was actually new for its day... evolution

What impress me more is those where the English language is not their native tongue. We see it time and again where someone will 'flame' someone else for not communicating in perfect English, but how many of us could communicate in perfect *German, *Dutch, *Swedish, the list is long. So netspeak/textspeak is just another language, and they are evolving all the time, it's up to us to either sink or swim ..... dooooods

* Apart from the obvious
nuttydave
+-3|6745|Bristol UK
leet speak will be the only language one day think about it i could say "pwned j00 n00b" to any international gamer and they would know what it meant regardless what languages they can speak it sickening and funny but all you n00bs will get pwned by the haxxors and uber players rant rant rant
dshak
+4|6812
if you think it will be the only langauge then you've really grossly overestimated its importance. oh, and even if you are right... thank god I'll be dead by then.
thinner44
+1|6809

dshak wrote:

if you think it will be the only langauge then you've really grossly overestimated its importance. oh, and even if you are right... thank god I'll be dead by then.
Relax, we all know there is a time and a place for such language, and although I share (to a degree) your frustrations, I doubt very much that ... 'pwned, noob, leet, haxors,' and the like will be the mainstream language of the future.

Just look what the tellytubbies tried to do
dshak
+4|6812
You know what set this whole thing in motion for me, during one of my training sessions one of my players actually called another a noob. "Netspeak" is fine, on the net. If I want to venture into this world its my job to deal with all of its various characteristics, but when it starts coming into the real world, or far worse my training pitch, its NOT welcome. After that incident it was harder for me to ignore when I played again.

Last edited by dshak (2005-11-08 08:38:16)

B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6840|Cologne, Germany

dshak wrote:

You know what set this whole thing in motion for me, during one of my training sessions one of my players actually called another a noob. "Netspeak" is fine, on the net. If I want to venture into this world its my job to deal with all of its various characteristics, but when it starts coming into the real world, or far worse my training pitch, its NOT welcome. After that incident it was harder for me to ignore when I played again.
Personally, I believe there is no difference between the net and the real world. rather, the net is part of the real world.  Accordingly, everything I say or do on the net ( while being on a forum, or in chat, or in a multiplayer game ) will have an impact on the real world.

As long as we are dealing with real people with real feelings, there is no reason for me to make a difference between the net and the "so called" RL.

In other words: If you're an idiot in RL, an idiot you will be on the net. Same goes for the language you use.
dshak
+4|6812
point taken
CBRad929
+1|6783
My opinon in the issue is:  Moderation is the key.

I can see times where use of a term is appropriate.  Calling someone a freaking beginner doesnt have the same impact as calling them a noob. 

I also believe that abuse of the "language" is just as bad (ie every word is misspelled with not enough/too much punctuation or not using paragraphs).
Bubkin
Pay It Forward
+8|6781

B.Schuss wrote:

In other words: If you're an idiot in RL, an idiot you will be on the net. Same goes for the language you use.
Quoted for truth and great justice!
Womansbikeseat
+0|6745
werd to my nootsack
blacksheepcannibal
+24|6751
i hate english majors.

i hate people that cant take the time to spell "you" and "youre" and "see".

i dont hate people that refuse to use capitalization. i dont hate people that sometimes use improper grammer. i dont hate people that skip most puntuation. i dont hate people that use words like pwned and noob. and i generally dont explain myself when somebody asks what noob or pwned means. if you dont know, youll either a. catch on eventually yourself or b. continue being the FNG.

when you joined the military, did they explain what all those abbreviations are? no, you just learnt them.
AnD-MasterMatt
+0|6750|Vancouver, WA - USA
I understand netspeak and gamespeak, but personally I think it's common use indicates a lower level of intelligence and is an indication of someone who has a strong desire to associate with a community that somewhat immaturely tries to distance themselves from rationale language so that the "others" outside the community won't be equipped to connect with them in conversation. Netspeak and gamespeak are mechanisms of differentiation used to make its members feel as though they have a common connection to each other that other people on the outside don't understand.

I don't see anything wrong with a community of common interests wanting to strengthen its shared interests and connections, but the use of seeminly unintelligent jargon is what I'm opposed to. I too realize that when a phrase like "pwned" gets used that it has comical connotations, but it makes those who use it sound and appear like idiots, even if they happen to be intelligent individuals. I'm more inclined to appreciate abbreviations in netspeak and gamespeak because time for typing is a precious commodity in a real-time environment. Therefore, phrases such as lol, gghf, nvm, and afk seem to be justified, because their creation was a result of necessity not a result of incompetency.

Last edited by AnD-MasterMatt (2005-11-08 13:31:11)

dsb
+0|6776

blacksheepcannibal wrote:

i hate english majors.

i hate people that cant take the time to spell "you" and "youre" and "see".

i dont hate people that refuse to use capitalization. i dont hate people that sometimes use improper grammer. i dont hate people that skip most puntuation. i dont hate people that use words like pwned and noob. and i generally dont explain myself when somebody asks what noob or pwned means. if you dont know, youll either a. catch on eventually yourself or b. continue being the FNG.

when you joined the military, did they explain what all those abbreviations are? no, you just learnt them.
What's an FNG?
Aegis
Sailor with no BF2 Navy
+19|6744|I'm worldwide, beotch
worst thread ever

but I had to join in

dsb wrote:

What's an FNG?
FNG = f'cking new guy

I guess because I (and thousands of others) have said "pwn" or "l337" mutliple times before then I am (we are) obviously unitelligent due to the string of obviously well researched generalizations above.

So... who cares? You've decided to play in an online gaming envirmonment that stresses communication between team members. As ANYONE knows, teenagers make up a huge percentage of the online gaming community. If you want to be a good team player, you have to learn to communicate with 15 year olds. If you ever even want to be in a server without being pissed off and annoyed, you're going to have to at least watch them talk.

Shall we tell the rap community they have to speak the Queen's English now too?

It comes with the territory - always has, forever will. Deal.

Last edited by Aegis (2005-11-09 06:22:42)

dshak
+4|6812
I don't even know what  1337 is. isn't that a number? Worst thread ever... yet you just HAD to add your two cents.

Last edited by dshak (2005-11-09 07:08:30)

elbowdeeplove
BWNED!!!
+0|6781|Texas

Aegis wrote:

worst thread ever

but I had to join in

dsb wrote:

What's an FNG?
FNG = f'cking new guy

I guess because I (and thousands of others) have said "pwn" or "l337" mutliple times before then I am (we are) obviously unitelligent due to the string of obviously well researched generalizations above.

So... who cares? You've decided to play in an online gaming envirmonment that stresses communication between team members. As ANYONE knows, teenagers make up a huge percentage of the online gaming community. If you want to be a good team player, you have to learn to communicate with 15 year olds. If you ever even want to be in a server without being pissed off and annoyed, you're going to have to at least watch them talk.

Shall we tell the rap community they have to speak the Queen's English now too?

It comes with the territory - always has, forever will. Deal.
I feel stupid because I've heard it a million times.  I'm in the military and I don't know what SNAFU means.  Please, someone, elaborate!
CBRad929
+1|6783
Aegis
Sailor with no BF2 Navy
+19|6744|I'm worldwide, beotch

dshak wrote:

I don't even know what  1337 is. isn't that a number? Worst thread ever... yet you just HAD to add your two cents.
Just because a train wreck is a bad thing doesn't mean I wouldn't like to watch it happen, but thanks anyways flamer.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard