Poll

Do you think that US Soldiers like killing people, seriously?

Yes29%29% - 102
No51%51% - 179
I don't know11%11% - 39
Do not wish to comment8%8% - 28
Total: 348
[pWa]Recon
+27|6777
being a soldier, and having gone to war for my country, i say NO, do any of you know what it is like to dream the same dream over and over again, until you are walking down the street with your wife and kids and you spaz out and hit the ground, because your dream is not playing out for you in real time, full color, no holds barred action as if you were back in the mix.... maybe 2% of you do, until you have this first hand knowledge, shut the fuck up, and keep your ASS HAT statements to your self about "the red mist" (jarhead) and baby killers ( LBJ), i don't want to hear it, people in america.... soldiers fight for your freedom so you have the RIGHT TO PROTEST the war, we fight for you to say whatever your little minds think about an elected office... we fight for the freedom that allows you to be on this message board in the first place..... do you think that China can just google whatever it wants to..... nope.... less freedoms..... your freedom of speech is a soldiers curse, due to this we take your comments with a grain of salt (or sand, depending if you have been to the sand box) and say we fight for YOU, the civilians, so you can curse us, and spit on us... and another thing..... while you spit on us.... we stand still, hold our ground, and remember that this land was formed on the blood of our country's leaders, soldiers, and HONOR. remember this before you deside to cut down a soldier for keeping your civil freedoms just that... free, remember that before you protest another soldiers furnal, remember that the next time you see our flag waving above your head, that soldiers bleed the red stripes to keep the white(civilians in general) stripes pure, and the field of blue and white held in union. Truth, Honor, and the HIGHEST ESPRIT` De Corps.

~Recon
JG1567JG
+110|6589|United States of America
Thanks for serving our Great country
flyinhawaiian91
+13|6643|cali usa
agreed
PspRpg-7
-
+961|6699

JG1567JG wrote:

Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6766|Dallas

flyinhawaiian91 wrote:

agreed

JG1567JG wrote:

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

This poll really depends on each soldier individually, not the entire US military.
-F8-Scotch
+43|6570
It's pretty obvious that an extreme majority of American appreciate what our soldiers have to go through to protect us. My guess is that the people you talk about either don't have an understanding of the history of conflict or really don't care about the soldiers as being human beings. Much of what this nation holds dear was brought about by her soldiers and all of it has been defended time and again with progress being paved by the graves of those who died. Soldiers are exposed to the most brutal nature of human beings, hopfully there'll be a time when soldiers are no longer needed.

There seems to tbe some disassociation between soldiers such as yourself and "civilians", not sure how that distinction can be met in an all volunteer military. Obviously those that serve(d) are ultimately changed in some form or another especially during war times. Freedom wasn't solely brought about by military actions or violent solutions. In fact some of our greatest patriots weren't soldiers at all, our entire continental army was virtually "civilian". Most families that have been in America for more than a generation or two share some burden of loss due to conflict, moreso after the 2 WW's. While your anger towards disrespect shown by some, many in our nation related or are in some form connected to the military. All of us on some level have sacraficed for this nation, whether it's in this conflict or past conflicts the casualties of war greatly influence each of us.

The post also speaks of the freedoms we have yet requests silence from some. We can't have it both ways. What ocurred during the Vietnam war to veterans returning home should never be repeated. However it wasn't simply the "civilians" that failed the troops, it was the military as well. Hopefully we've learned some lessons and I can tell you first hand that returning units are met with fanfare as well as happy hearts who are glad that, for at least a time, the perils of combat have been replaced with normal life. Being an opponent of conflict is difficult because many are labled or ostracized for having a different point of view. Some become resentfull of those who embody the conflict, namely our soldiers. Keep in mind that ingorance may be bliss for a time yet sooner or later we all feel, in one way or another, loss. Every soldier that is killed is a reminder for all of us that they were once "civilians", some were neighbors, friends, co-workers or loved ones.
Ikarti
Banned - for ever.
+231|6710|Wilmington, DE, US
Killing Iraqis does nothing for my freedom. Sorry.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA
troll much??
Xietsu
Banned
+50|6557

lowing wrote:

troll much??
In case your fool ass didn't notice, this thread was inspired for creation because of Ikarti (however such and such he may be [read my post about him in the Haditha thread--it's mixed in with my response to some H-guy recruiter that was responding to Ikarti]).
2ndLt.Tucker
If you can read this, your already dead
+33|6684|Stillwater, Ok

Ikarti wrote:

Then you are pretty close minded.  We don't just fight for your freedoms. We fight so that you, your family and friends can be safe and out of harms way.  And Ikarti it is your typical attitude that us soldiers despise.  You have no idea of what goes on in combat much less all the reasons we are there.  That man was breaking UN sanctions on weapons, massacring his own people, spending all his money on crap other than for his people. He gave aid to foreign terrorists and helped them to gain power.  Now here is where the safety part comes in because if you have any idea what VX nerve gas or even a biological weapon release as a small amount can do to a population you might think differently.  VX nerve gases fatal dose is at 250 microns. A drop from a tear dropper is 500 microns.  Just takes that much of it to kill several people.  Released in a major city it could kill 100's of thousands of people.  And trust me soldier's see alot more than the media ever shows. Media promotes their agenda and their political views. Us as soldier's seem to be nothing more than stories to them. 

And for you to be thinking that we are killing nothing but Iraqi's is absurd. Most of the terrorists over there are fighting a "Holy War" and are from countries other than Iraq.  So its not just the Iraqi's getting killed.  Most of their casualties have come from suicide bombings of the terrorists. So if you dont know what it is like to be shot at, watch a friend get shot, and hear about or watch your buddies die. Then shut up. We don't enjoy killing by any means but it is either us or them.  And most of us choose them.  Id like to see what kind of respect you have when you see 16 polished caskets go by you.  Its a silence of heartache and respect that is impossible to ever experience somewhere else.
Pop To Ster
Philosiraptor
+45|6533|Edmonds, WA

-F8-Scotch wrote:

It's pretty obvious that an extreme majority of American appreciate what our soldiers have to go through to protect us. My guess is that the people you talk about either don't have an understanding of the history of conflict or really don't care about the soldiers as being human beings. Much of what this nation holds dear was brought about by her soldiers and all of it has been defended time and again with progress being paved by the graves of those who died. Soldiers are exposed to the most brutal nature of human beings, hopfully there'll be a time when soldiers are no longer needed.

There seems to tbe some disassociation between soldiers such as yourself and "civilians", not sure how that distinction can be met in an all volunteer military. Obviously those that serve(d) are ultimately changed in some form or another especially during war times. Freedom wasn't solely brought about by military actions or violent solutions. In fact some of our greatest patriots weren't soldiers at all, our entire continental army was virtually "civilian". Most families that have been in America for more than a generation or two share some burden of loss due to conflict, moreso after the 2 WW's. While your anger towards disrespect shown by some, many in our nation related or are in some form connected to the military. All of us on some level have sacraficed for this nation, whether it's in this conflict or past conflicts the casualties of war greatly influence each of us.

The post also speaks of the freedoms we have yet requests silence from some. We can't have it both ways. What ocurred during the Vietnam war to veterans returning home should never be repeated. However it wasn't simply the "civilians" that failed the troops, it was the military as well. Hopefully we've learned some lessons and I can tell you first hand that returning units are met with fanfare as well as happy hearts who are glad that, for at least a time, the perils of combat have been replaced with normal life. Being an opponent of conflict is difficult because many are labled or ostracized for having a different point of view. Some become resentfull of those who embody the conflict, namely our soldiers. Keep in mind that ingorance may be bliss for a time yet sooner or later we all feel, in one way or another, loss. Every soldier that is killed is a reminder for all of us that they were once "civilians", some were neighbors, friends, co-workers or loved ones.
well said
alpinestar
+304|6597|New York City baby.
You got served.
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6766|Dallas

-F8-Scotch wrote:

2ndLt.Tucker wrote:

Ikarti wrote:

Then you are pretty close minded.  We don't just fight for your freedoms. We fight so that you, your family and friends can be safe and out of harms way.  And Ikarti it is your typical attitude that us soldiers despise.  You have no idea of what goes on in combat much less all the reasons we are there.  That man was breaking UN sanctions on weapons, massacring his own people, spending all his money on crap other than for his people. He gave aid to foreign terrorists and helped them to gain power.  Now here is where the safety part comes in because if you have any idea what VX nerve gas or even a biological weapon release as a small amount can do to a population you might think differently.  VX nerve gases fatal dose is at 250 microns. A drop from a tear dropper is 500 microns.  Just takes that much of it to kill several people.  Released in a major city it could kill 100's of thousands of people.  And trust me soldier's see alot more than the media ever shows. Media promotes their agenda and their political views. Us as soldier's seem to be nothing more than stories to them. 

And for you to be thinking that we are killing nothing but Iraqi's is absurd. Most of the terrorists over there are fighting a "Holy War" and are from countries other than Iraq.  So its not just the Iraqi's getting killed.  Most of their casualties have come from suicide bombings of the terrorists. So if you dont know what it is like to be shot at, watch a friend get shot, and hear about or watch your buddies die. Then shut up. We don't enjoy killing by any means but it is either us or them.  And most of us choose them.  Id like to see what kind of respect you have when you see 16 polished caskets go by you.  Its a silence of heartache and respect that is impossible to ever experience somewhere else.
HERE HERE!!  +1 for both of these fine gentleman.  Well said guys!
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Xietsu wrote:

lowing wrote:

troll much??
In case your fool ass didn't notice, this thread was inspired for creation because of Ikarti (however such and such he may be [read my post about him in the Haditha thread--it's mixed in with my response to some H-guy recruiter that was responding to Ikarti]).
LOL............huh???
Ikarti
Banned - for ever.

2ndLt.Tucker wrote:

Ikarti wrote:

Not to mention he was sitting on oil and didn't have any VX. I know what VX does, and if Mr. Saddam didn't have any VX, or Sarin, or what have you, then what threat did he pose?

40,000 civilian casualities is pretty high to be claiming you're killing other things that Iraqis. I know that combatants from other countries have flooded in, and I know there's sectarian violence as well, but I also know that the military really doesn't give a damn either.

And as for the pity story about being shot at and all that...no one forced you to sign up for it. It's a job like any other. It pays the bills, I understand. But you never hear firefighters get bitter about fighting fires, do you?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Ikarti wrote:

2ndLt.Tucker wrote:

Ikarti wrote:

Not to mention he was sitting on oil and didn't have any VX. I know what VX does, and if Mr. Saddam didn't have any VX, or Sarin, or what have you, then what threat did he pose?

40,000 civilian casualities is pretty high to be claiming you're killing other things that Iraqis. I know that combatants from other countries have flooded in, and I know there's sectarian violence as well, but I also know that the military really doesn't give a damn either.

And as for the pity story about being shot at and all that...no one forced you to sign up for it. It's a job like any other. It pays the bills, I understand. But you never hear firefighters get bitter about fighting fires, do you?
I didn't hear them complaining. You are the one that started this. ya ungreatful bastard.
Ikarti
Banned - for ever.
This started in the Haditha thread, where some individuals wanted to excuse what happened there.

Oh well, if they want to kill people that's they're prerogative. I really can't do too much if the government sanctions it. They all get brainwashed anyway.

Guess I'll just leave.
2ndLt.Tucker
If you can read this, your already dead
+33|6684|Stillwater, Ok
Like i said there goes the whole media promoting their agenda's.  I have several friends from army and marines who have come across his biological and chemical labs.  The man had those WMD's and i have also seen a few of the artillery shells specifically made to hold these kinds of weapons.  There are many units that have toured in Iraq who can vouch for such findings. And if we had of left the man unchecked much longer then her would probably be able to now as of this date have the rocket technology and delivery capability to hit the US.  I guess ignorance is a good thing for some people to have. And yeah its a dangerouse job for firefighters too.....but they dont have someone shooting fully auto 7.62x9mm round ammo at them while your trying to help wounded civilians and maybe even have to combat a fire ourselves.  There is a difference there.

Oh and as for this "blood for oil" deal as your seeing it is BS. All the Iraqi pipelines are in controll of the Iraqi Government. We dont set the prices or how much of it we get. Its up to their companies and government not us. It been this way since atleast 2004 if you would do some research.

Last edited by 2ndLt.Tucker (2006-06-12 21:26:49)

Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6766|Dallas

Ikarti wrote:

This started in the Haditha thread, where some individuals wanted to excuse what happened there.

Oh well, if they want to kill people that's they're prerogative. I really can't do too much if the government sanctions it. They all get brainwashed anyway.

Guess I'll just leave.
It can't excused because it hasn't been proven.  It can't be condemned because it hasn't been proven.  It's all speculation and assumption at this point and until you people get that through your thick skulls arguments like this will continue without end here.  It's pointless.  Shut up about it already.
Point&Shoot
Tank Whore
+52|6548|Canada
To respond to Recon's original post, please nobody take this at as an attack (that means you - moving to the -1), but as a soldier, have you ever considered the irony of defending freedom?  You put your life on the line to protect the freedom of the protester to spit on you and call you a baby killer.  An honourable calling, but the more freedom you fight for, the more you get spit upon.  The more decisions the leaders make to "ensure freedom" the less control they have over their people.  The definition of complete freedom would be anarchy.  And Recon, as a soldier, I'm sure you for one appreciate a structured society, like the one within the military.

I don't want to sound contrary, but isn't freedom a little overrated.  Freedom of speech is great, until that asshole next door opens his yap, then that right to bear arms comes into it, but then you both end up shot because freedoms apply to everyone.  Lousy example, but I think you get the gist.

But if you look at what the US government is doing with such things as the P.A.T.R.I.O.T. act and other measures to try and catch terrorists, they are already starting to limit your freedoms and watch their own people.

What is the price of freedom?  Anarchy or do you get an illusion of freedom because all your rights are stripped away to protect your freedom?  It's just fucked up either way.

Last edited by Point&Shoot (2006-06-12 21:34:44)

Point&Shoot
Tank Whore
+52|6548|Canada

2ndLt.Tucker wrote:

Like i said there goes the whole media promoting their agenda's.  I have several friends from army and marines who have come across his biological and chemical labs.  The man had those WMD's and i have also seen a few of the artillery shells specifically made to hold these kinds of weapons.  There are many units that have toured in Iraq who can vouch for such findings.
Then, in your opinion, why would the media cover this up?  And why would the Bush administration admit that they were wrong about the WMD?

Not to question what you are saying, but wouldn't any evidence like that be brought to light immediately to give Bush some credibility?
[pWa]Recon
+27|6777

Ikarti wrote:

2ndLt.Tucker wrote:

Ikarti wrote:

I didn't see him crying about getting shot... the man... na... the SOLDIER served/serves his country, and as far as "Mr. Sandbox" himself, are you on the same planet as the rest of us.... confirmed sat photos of MOBILE missle trucks...... where did they go... we didn't find them, oh shit they just evaporated.... not likely... ever hear of iran/syria/the PLO.. hrm..... you don't think that screwy sadam INSANIE, could have shipped these to one of his buds.... not to much of a fish tale if you look at things in a real world. Just think of it like this ok.... the kid next door to you plays with legos you know this, i know this, your teacher knows this, but bobby next door never talks to you. one day your teacher says if you bring your legos to school again i will take them from you, so with complete disregard for what you were told to do you bring your legos in again... now you see mr. IhateLegos coming towards you... what do you do... loose your legos forever in mr. IhateLegos's desk, or give them to the kid next door with the hopes that he will give them back.... you fork them over to bobby and next thing you know... he is building new ICBM's out of your shit...  Now to finish this rant....

I would take a bullet for any soldier on the battlefield fighting next to me...GLADLY .. even if he is an 18 year old scared boy or a 34 year old man ... he still has more balls for being on that battle field then most other people. and he is a brother in arms... something that "civilians" will not / can not understand until they have walked a mile or 2 in your LPCs (you fellow ground pounders out there know what i mean). death is a part of war that NOONE wants to see, however cnn can not show you the extent of battle... there is no scratch and sniff tv yet... so you don't know what charred flesh smells like, you don't know what it is like to hear a grown man that you have known since you came thru the RIP screaming because he has lost a leg due to an explosive, and you don't know what it is like getting shot in the chest until you have been there.... when your lung colapses and fills with blood, it feels like a deuce and a half is sitting on your chest, and there is nothing you can do about it until the ch-47 comes to pick your ass up... quite the sombering experiance having a boy, 3 years younger then you(as you are still basicly a boy) carry you to god's charriot... the only thing that stands between you and death.... the skilled hands of a combat medic.

~Recon

"The fear of death is worse then the act of death itself"
Publilius Syrus
circa
1st Century BC
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6691|Tampa Bay Florida
Well, I think the original poster has to understand the difference in supporting our troops, and supporting the cause.  I think about 0.1 percent of Americans actually want our troops to die.

And I don't think anyone here has the right to say we're protecting them or we're not protecting them unless they're a political anaylist.  PBS has two great anaylists, one democrat, one republican, so you always get a well balanced view of the issue they're talking about.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Spearhead wrote:

Well, I think the original poster has to understand the difference in supporting our troops, and supporting the cause.  I think about 0.1 percent of Americans actually want our troops to die.

And I don't think anyone here has the right to say we're protecting them or we're not protecting them unless they're a political anaylist.  PBS has two great anaylists, one democrat, one republican, so you always get a well balanced view of the issue they're talking about.
I am going to sound like a smart ass when I ask this, but it is a sincere question.

How exactly do you support our troops without supporting the endeavors for which they are tasked?? All this forum wants to do is see them fail in their missions. It seems the worse the news from these wars the more the liberals thrive and roll in the mud.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard