MrHibs
+15|6642|Scotland
Hi guys,

I've looked at the other connection threads and no one appears to have a similar problem to mine.

Never had a problem with BF2 before however a couple of months ago I started getting random ping spikes and problem with connection messages during the game.  It was quite annoying at first but it's frequency has increased and it happens about 50% of the time I go on now.

My ping will suddenly jump up to 800 or so then come back down before going back up again seconds/minutes later resulting in me usually getting kicked for high ping.

I'm not up on all the specs of my pc but it's pretty new, just bought the pc last year and it cost about £1k so it's pretty good.  I do have wireless connection though but it's never been a problem before so don't see how it can suddenly be that.  It doesn't happen everytime which is strange.

I can't remember when it exactly started but I've got a feeling it was about the time that I downloaded EF.  Does anyone know if this could be the issue?

If not does anyone have any other ideas?

Cheers
Rick_O_Shea678
Angry Engy
+95|6753
I don't play EF, so I can't comment on that.  But I suggest...
Do a fresh reboot before you play BF2.
Run nothing but the game when playing.
Use Task Manager to end all non-essential prgs/processes running in background, including antivirus prg which might be auto-updating while you are playing.  Also close any music downloading software.

Finally, I use a wireless router as well.  When I get spikes like this, I shut everything down and reboot.  I also  power-down and restart my router and modem in the other room, that's usually where the problem lies, for me.
Friluftshund
I cnat slpel!!!
+54|6713|Norway
I don't have this problem, but I'll throw a suggestion in the hat..

Use a program like pingplotter to determine where the ping-spikes occur.. This might not be a problem on your part at all, it could be that you ISP isn't up to snuff..
Rick_O_Shea678
Angry Engy
+95|6753
If you don't want to install a new program to find ping spikes, try the "tracert" command.
Pull up your COMMAND PROMPT or MS-DOS screen. (Start...Run...cmd{enter})
Type: tracert ip-address, such as...tracert 64.69.47.111
The last ms number it shows should match closely to your "ping" for that server when playing.
If there is a "bad hop" along the way, causing your ping to spike, you might see it here.

I've had problem you describe, and as I said the culprit is usually your own router & modem.  Unplug them, then plug back in, and reboot your machine.
Darky
Hi..
+71|6562|Here.
Why do people equate high dollar value to being a decent PC. Look at the components, not the cost.
Mr.E
HakLaw in the house
+103|6561
you must not have searched too hard ...I HAD the same prob....heres what i did :For wireless users if that works get back too me!

GL Andy
Todd_Angelo
Leukocyte
+336|6627|Warlord

Friluftshund wrote:

I don't have this problem, but I'll throw a suggestion in the hat..

Use a program like pingplotter to determine where the ping-spikes occur.. This might not be a problem on your part at all, it could be that you ISP isn't up to snuff..
Yeah, other than 1.3 making this worse my money's on that.
MrHibs
+15|6642|Scotland
Thanks for all the advice.  I'll give these a try tomorrow when the bird's not round cos she goes mental when I play and she's here!

I'd +1 Karma but I don't post enough to get my own Karma to enable me to do this.
82nd
+0|6531
I think its this game thats screwd up. My brother inlaw has this problem and its only this game, all other games he plays do not have this problem

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard