Badcomp
+2|6786|U.S.
XP pro has additional security features that home does not. There are others as well but I am not sure what all of the differences are.

Also just to be sure that you know, there is no such thing as a RAID hard drive. A RAID array is something that you setup. It's a combination of identical drives working in conjunction to operate as one drive.

i.e. 2 WD Raptor 74g drives in RAID 0 to act as a 148gig drive.
Ronball9
Sleep Deprived
+8|6846

Tyshalle83 wrote:

I've decided I'll start with the Corsair for now, see how it works for me, and in a month or two if I feel I need it I'll upgrade to the OCZ 2 gigs.
Just a final note, if you go that route - you will have to basically pitch out the Corsair when you change to OCZ, so make sure you have someone else who can use it.  The Corsair will work - with the delays at start-up, but you may want to do it right the first time.  I wish I had.
j00han
+0|6807|netherlands
He i've an question i watched the newegg site all afternoon
and i'm really excited the only problem is i live in europe :'(
does someone know if there are company's like these in Holland/EU??
anti-terrorism
+0|6770
lol u fellas are all funny on suggestion with the "computer" so I will drop mine in too
1. bro defentally RAID two i have 2 WD 10,000 rpms 36 gigs (72 ish total) with 2x512 mem (getting more soon) and I am always one of the first in game. lol u may want more HD space though, i do experience some lag but i chock that up to my 8 year old monitor lol (sounds good at least)
2. my video card is far from the best but u also need to look at the other side of a card in BF2 I may not be able to see quite as far as the big cards but I also don't have the details in the grassy areas so i spot the snipers faster. don't get me wrong i didn't cheap out on vid card but  I did save a couple bucks (will be upgrading at years end, cause i can)
3. do what u want, I am no computer hero like these fellas are (nothing bad meant by that) but my sys is great and I built it my way, with like u, help and research but it all came down to what i wanted so do what u want you ideas are on the right track

lol thought i would just drop my opinion in

good luck with what u buuilt it sounds like u will have it
AnarkyXtra
BF2s EU Server Admin
+67|6785|Hanging onto the UAV

jnick wrote:

AMDs memory controller will limit 4x512 to run at DDR333 (PC2700) and at 2T, instead of the normal DDR400 (PC3200) at 1T
Strange, as I have EXACTLY the same spec build as this, but with a 7800 GTX. My 2gb of Corsair Twin-X runs fine @ DDR400.

Last edited by AnarkyXtra (2005-11-05 02:58:55)

Tyshalle83
+1|6750|Raleigh, NC
Err, so my motherboard and processor will work fine with 512x4 MB of RAM? And there's no need for me to scrap the Corsair RAM in a month and go with two gigs of OCZ, I can just get an extra gig of Corsair RAM and it'll be fine?

This is kind of a big decision, and it pretty much means the difference between me forking out another 120 dollars or 290. I'd much rather spend 120 if I can get away with it.
Ronball9
Sleep Deprived
+8|6846

Tyshalle83 wrote:

Err, so my motherboard and processor will work fine with 512x4 MB of RAM? And there's no need for me to scrap the Corsair RAM in a month and go with two gigs of OCZ, I can just get an extra gig of Corsair RAM and it'll be fine?
I still stand by what I originally said:

2x512 Corsair Dual Channel XMS = works fine but big delay at start up of BF2
4x512 Corsair Dual Channel XMS = super fast start into BF2, but lock up in game (every game)
2x1G  Corsair Dual Channel XMS = super fast start into BF2, but lock up in game (every game)

-it should be noted that I tried every conceivable slot combination, bios flashing etc. to make either of the second two situations work.

2x1G OCZ Dual Channel = have yet to fully try it out

So in the end, if you ultimately want to have more than 1G of RAM, my experience would dictate that you do not go with 2x512 Corsair Dual Channel XMS.

Incidentally, go to ASUS and open the QVL Download (left toolbar) to see what the approved RAM choices for this mobo are.
jnick
+22|6780

Col-Khadafi wrote:

M2 a chipset or a motherboard?
Niether. It's the socket type for AMDs new "M2" Processor due out Q1/Q2. It will is 940-pin, but the socket is called "M2".
jnick
+22|6780
Ty - I had 2x512 PDP XLB Ram. Ran super fast. But it simply WASN'T enough for BF2. It NEEDED 2GB. So I went out and bought 2GB of Crucial Value Ram, back when they were using the -5b Micron chips, which OC insanely good for the price. I never heard about this XMS lock up that the above poster was talking about. However, 2x1GB of PDP LL Ram runs perfectly fine for the game, as does the Crucial Value (have two machine with both RAM).

If you go 4x512 on an AMD system, it's basically bottleneck your bandwith/lower your rated RAM spped. Ultimately, you're far better off with 2x1gb sticks of any RAM you want. (OCZ, PDP, GieL, etc.)
Goose1123
I hate stupid people.
+0|6778|Illinois
You will be better off going with 2 x 1GB of RAM. I have never heard of the aforementioned lockup problem, but that could be due to bad memory itself, faulty board, mem. controller, etc. Corsair does make good quality RAM, but sometimes they are priced a little high (possible because of the name itself). I encourage you to read my other post in this thread on picking 2 identical sticks of RAM. As for the delay at the beginning of the game, you will be OK. You will still be one of the first ones in. You may experience some of the early game lag, but most people do and it will end quickly. BF2 will run best with 2GB of RAM, but so does everything. It depends more on what you can afford now. I am quite broke and I am saving up for a new system but here is what I am running-AMD XP 2800 Barton, AGP 6600 256 MB, and 768 MB of mixed crap RAM. On stick of my RAM is a 512 3200 and one is a 256 2700. Yes, my RAM sucks. No, it is not possible for me to afford more right now. I say all that because I run the game with most things on medium. Only some of things like dynamic lighting and one or two other demanding things are on low. I get into each round in a decent amount of time. I am usually right in the middle of the pack, sometimes I am even first or second in. Then I have maybe 30 seconds of lag, usually less. With the system you will have, you will not be hurting with 2 x 512. You will not be as good as possible, but you will be fine. I do agree with jnick on the bottleneck issue. Since you already have the Corsair, I would just stick to that for the time being. You may not even be able to return it. Several months down the road you can get the 2 x 1GB RAM, and I imagine you could still get some decent money for the Corsair on Ebay.

Last edited by Goose1123 (2005-11-05 14:38:09)

{RR}SinisterCaesarSalad
+1|6750|Appleton, WI
I first started out with my computer having 2x256MB of Crucial Ballistic PC3200 and 2x256 of lesser quality PC3200. NOTE:  While this worked fine for me at the time(pre-BF2), I only did this because I was stupid, and didn't proof-read my order to Newegg before purchasing.  I wanted 2x512 Crucial...  D'OH!!   Anywho...  Once I got BF2 and realized I need more than a Gig to play, I ordered 2x512 OCZ 2.2.2.6 RAM, thinking I could just remove the 512 of the cheap-o stuff and get me 1.5 total... WRONG!  My compy only saw 512 total with the 4 in.  So, I got to spend more money and get another 2x512 OCZ RAM so they all matched.. whoopie!!  So, don't make the mistake I did, and get what you want the first time.  I'm now running 4x512 OCZ, and it works great!  Here are my specs, which of course make for some great BF2 experiences... imagine what yours will do!
AMD Athlon 64  3500+  90ns
ASUS A8V-Deluxe MB
4x512 OCZ PC3200 2.2.2.6
120 GB SATA HD
Apollo Geforce 6800GT 256MB AGP
Col-Khadafi
+0|6795|Your Mom's House
If you're looking to save money, they've come out with a budget version of the 6800GT as well as the  new X1000 series of ATI cards (the X1600 specificly). OR you could go for a 7800GT instead of a 7800GTX

Last edited by Col-Khadafi (2005-11-07 17:23:58)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard