slidero
wtf u talking about nob
dsb
+0|6779

Tyshalle83 wrote:

dsb - Nobody can fault you for thinking I'm long winded. And for those of you with the talent to say a hell of a lot in a few words, I applaud you. I say a hell of a lot in a lot of words. There's a lot of people who don't say much in either meaning or word count, and likewise there's a lot of people who go on and on and on without ever really getting to the point. At least with me you can see exactly what you get.
I'm just bustin' your balls man, since you took a shot at my quote statements.
{RR}SinisterCaesarSalad
+1|6754|Appleton, WI
Thank, you, for, the, English, lesson, Captain Punctuation.
Tyshalle83
+1|6754|Raleigh, NC
w,t,f, is, wrong, with, you, "moron"?
Ryan
+1,230|6845|Alberta, Canada

if u dont like the slang QUIT PLAYING FPS
Ryan

btw you suck pretty badly, 339 hours just to get 39k points! also ur SPM is crap n00b. we all pwn you
dshak
+4|6815
is 14 a reference to your age? 39 thousand isn't my points cool guy, thats the EA ranking, and considering how many people own this game I think I'm doing okay. What does my ability to play the game have to do with ANYTHING regarding this post anyway. And while I'm at it USE THE FREAKIN EDIT BUTTON.

I could think of a few places you can stick your SPM. You can say you "pwn" me all you want, because that means nothing to me at all. Want me to type some random letters to? I will? I promise.

GROW UP.

EDIT (see how easy that was) you inspired me to look at your own stats there superfly...  you have almost 500 more deaths than kills... I don't think you PWN anyone.

EDIT AGAIN - I guess at this point I'm FLAMING YOU - I die about 14 times every hour I play... you die about 32 times every hour you play. 32 deaths per hour. Man, you are FREAKIN AWESOME.

Be careful next time you want to play the stats game you pick a fight you can win.

Last edited by dshak (2005-11-07 15:03:03)

IronGeek
One Shot, One Kill
+4|6795|Canberra, Australia

beeng wrote:

chuyskywalker wrote:

Your raging doesn't do anything to help a problem that doesn't really exists. Most of the gamers *I* know could write a fantastic english essay -- but when you play the role, be it laywer, mechanic, businessman, or gamer you adopt the language of the land.
I think the problem is when people use jargon too much, out of context, or refuse to explain to those less-leet-educated.  If I started talking all army-like only a few people here would understand it.  If one of you asked me what I was trying to say I would explain it in 'normal' terms.  Try that in a game? "OMG@!!JOOOHNOOOOB!JHAHAHAH" ... etc.
I think you get the point.  The harrassment and dumbass attitudes associated with said jargon is the problem, not the jargon itself.

"Hey man, lets take the g-wagon down to the CFPO to grab our UABs before we have to fill out the boys' PDRs.  I love TLAs."  Who can name the abbreviations? ;D
TLA is Three Work Acrinim (sp?)   I come from Canberra where everything has a TLA because of so many govenment departments...  I used to be in the Army Reserve and everything and I still don't have a clue what you wrote... I am such a N00b 
mikeshw
Radioactive Glo
+130|6839|A Small Isle in the Tropics

atlvolunteer wrote:

Its kinda funny that we are arguing grammar on a gaming forum...
And to make things worst, it is on the wrong thread.
Ryan_Mercury
"It's Recharging!"
+19|6821

dshak wrote:

is 14 a reference to your age? 39 thousand isn't my points cool guy, thats the EA ranking, and considering how many people own this game I think I'm doing okay. What does my ability to play the game have to do with ANYTHING regarding this post anyway. And while I'm at it USE THE FREAKIN EDIT BUTTON.

I could think of a few places you can stick your SPM. You can say you "pwn" me all you want, because that means nothing to me at all. Want me to type some random letters to? I will? I promise.

GROW UP.

EDIT (see how easy that was) you inspired me to look at your own stats there superfly...  you have almost 500 more deaths than kills... I don't think you PWN anyone.

EDIT AGAIN - I guess at this point I'm FLAMING YOU - I die about 14 times every hour I play... you die about 32 times every hour you play. 32 deaths per hour. Man, you are FREAKIN AWESOME.

Be careful next time you want to play the stats game you pick a fight you can win.
I belive that button you are talking about is called a link, or "hyperlink" to be exact. Also, your constant bitching around these forums is a tad bit annoying.

I also agree that complaining about the so-called jargon of gamers, especially on a gamer forum, is really not a good idea and it wont go away, so please, stop your bitching.
Miakei
+1|6824|Los Angeles, CA
Beeng,

Correct me if I'm wrong., but your statement translates as follows.

Hey man, let's take the G270 CDI Light Utility Vehicle down to the Canadian Forces Post Office, to grab our User Address Books before we have to fill out the boys' Public Data Records. I love Three Letter Abbreviations/Acronyms.

Yes, I looked these up.
Yes, I was bored.
Yes,  I have way too much free time on my hands.
MattCicioni
+1|6830|Arizona

ryan_14 wrote:

btw you suck pretty badly, 339 hours just to get 39k points! also ur SPM is crap n00b. we all pwn you
You should not be telling other members that they suck if your kill to death ratio is not at least 1 to 1.  That is sad.  Improve your stats a little more if you want to talk smack.

-Matt
dshak
+4|6815
you know what, its been said many times before... if you don't like bitching, DON'T READ THE COMPLAINT SECTION OF A FORUM. This section of the forum exists for the purpose of bitching. If you don't like it, PISS OFF and don't read it.

way to burn me because I didn't say hyperlink. will take days, maybe weeks to get over that one. ouch.
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6849|"Frisco"

Moving this back on topic, ya bunch of wankers...

dshak wrote:

In closing, its not the existence of jargon that bothers me, that I'm complaining about, but the fact that gaming jargon consists of some of the most retarded words in all of the history of man kind.

get the fuck over that.

seriously.
What, exactly, makes them retarded? You'll be quite hard pressed to convince me that any word is inherently 'retarded'. But, hey, let's take a stab at it, no? Because they latch on to common mispellings? Because they take otherwise common words and change their meaning? Because they make up new words and meanings? Because they use abbreviations?

Take a second to think about the evolution of the gamer jargon. Sprung forth from the times of the extremely fast 1200 Baud modem (think 1.2 kps on a really good day) people wanted to use the net (BBS's at that time) to communicate. Abbreviations were a really good thing. Easier to type, faster to transmit, they just made sense. Thus abbreviations came into major, major play as being "net speak".

Let's look at "new words and meanings". Well, I don't think I really need to defend this one, but what the hell. New words and meanings are not retarded, as you seem to imply. They are, in fact, a common and widely accepted part of the evolution of communitcation. Language IS NOT STATIC. It changes, not only based on time, but based on a lot of other factors like location, the people using it, or the context it is used within. Canadians, Americans, and the British all speak "english" but get the three in a room with the words "Aluminium" and "Boot" on flash cards and you'll see how true the assertation is.

Finally, about the misspellings. I don't have issue with this. Communities, and yes gamers are most certainly a community of people, NEED something to band around. In MOST communities you can do this on location, or dress, or appearance, or any number of physical attributes. The internet, however, is extemely limiting in this manner. Until only very recently voice, pictures, and video were quite liimited. And to a great extent, they still are. Most video games, as an example, are just beginning to realize the importance of in-game VOIP.

Why do I bring that up? Simple: the single binding fact that the gaming community could rally around to differentiate themselves upon was language. Written language, to be precise. Thus, they latched onto the misspellings, they came up with new words, and they change the meaning of others. They couldn't nesecarily dress the same, live in the same place, speak the same way, etc -- but write they could. The written jargon and "retardation" of the gamer lingo is not about proper or improper english, it is about identity. And it is very likely not going to go away, but evolve and grow.
alizard
+0|6777
holy fark
Ryan_Mercury
"It's Recharging!"
+19|6821

chuyskywalker wrote:

Let's look at "new words and meanings".
Oh shit. You forgot to put the period before the quotation marks. NOOB!

Last edited by Ryan_Mercury (2005-11-07 16:35:15)

dshak
+4|6815
chuy,

thank you for actually posting about the topic instead of calling me stupid for posting it in the first place, or trying to blast my stats (that worked good for that guy) or tell me I suck at the game.

Retarded was a bad misuse of the word, perhaps instead I should have said childish. I am sorry, but words like noob are childish to me, and if its an evolution of language, I'm not really sure which direction it is evolving in? I can appreciate your perspective and I never said it should go away, but I'm sick of being called a noob just because I don't agree with someone or because I kill them in a game.

It is my opinion that these words are ridiculous, and hence I complained about it, in the proper section of whatI thought was an open forum. If you will read the posts, skipping through the rants against me, you'll see many people agree with me, which is the reason I was posting... I was curious about whether anyone else found some of these words, and their (and I think you would have a hard time arguing this one) gross overuse, annoying. I dont have any right to tell you to stop saying noob anymore than you have a right to tell me to "get over it." and if you'll notice, I never said "stop saying noob."

Slang can come from a lot of places, but two big ones are either uneducated or lazy. I'm not saying this is the source of any of those words and I am NOT saying because someone is using them THEY are uneducated or lazy, but I have every right to be bothered by it, and nobody has any right to tell me not to be. I respect your position, which I think I already said, and I appreciate you taking your exception to my complaint to an area of constructive debate.

If everyone thought the same way about everything, you would have a pretty interesting forum wouldn't you? The heart of my complaint is that I have a hard time communicating with someone who spells own - p w n - and I feel like I'm talking to a 9 year old when he says "you're a noob," even though he may be a highly educated professional.

I find the language childish and somewhat annoying, I was curious if anyone else did. Some do. My question was answered. I believe in my original post though I was quite clear about not attaching the same feelings to anyone who USES the language, I understand its part of the culture.

Last edited by dshak (2005-11-07 16:46:24)

Miakei
+1|6824|Los Angeles, CA
Chuy, while I can certainly see your point, and support it almost emphatically, there are a few key issues.
Now, these aren't strictly applicable to gamers, but the younger generation as a whole. What happens when that 'written' language becomes so entrenched in the psyche and minds of the individuals, that they have no ability to write in such a way that the community at large would consider appropriate.

Case in point, a few of my friends do not have the ability to write essays and letters in 'proper' english. Even papers written for school are abound with net-speak, and modern abbreviations. Now, keep in mind, this is handwritten work. They are by no means simpletons either, but that form of writte communication has become such a part of them, that to write any other way is foreign and extremely difficult for them. I can see how someone might slip into the netspeak while typing a paper, but when it transcends the keyboard to paper and pencil....well, that speaks volumes. Every language has slang, but people should know how to separate it from their professional lives.

I mean, I could hardly imagine a prominent CEO of a Fortune 500 company sending a memo out to his employees reading as such

'2 teh M-plyees of ABC Corp,

We R firing a bunch of n00bz for flaming the l33t chairmembers!!1!!11 If j00 even thinkz about a strike, j00 will B pwned!'

I mean, that's extreme, but truthfully speaking, I don't think it's that far off from becoming a reality.
Ryan

ok firstly, dont think your so smart, 14 is my fave number, my date of birth, and my house number, do u think i wouldnt like it? secondly, u should have went with the 39 000 points, cuz ur global score is even worse than that u schlong. also, i can say pwn to you all i want? i thought that was the point of this topic ding dong is that u hate slang? god your STUPID!

Last edited by ryan_14 (2005-11-07 16:45:36)

Ryan

MattCicioni wrote:

ryan_14 wrote:

You should not be telling other members that they suck if your kill to death ratio is not at least 1 to 1.  That is sad.  Improve your stats a little more if you want to talk smack.

-Matt
sorry but he was pissing me off.
dshak
+4|6815
Ah Ryan, still no reply to the fact that you are living and breathing target practice for everyone else.  You can keep talking smack, but it doesn't mean a thing coming from someone who dies 18 times more than me every hour he plays and has 500 more deaths than kills... many, many, MANY people can talk smack to me about this game, you, aren't one of them

Oh, no, god I'm stupid! you even put it in caps. searching for a rope to hang myself with now... why... didn't... I... realize... I.... was... stupid....

Last edited by dshak (2005-11-07 16:53:55)

HuntingHawk
+0|6748

chuyskywalker wrote:

dsb wrote:

what really drives me batshit is when little freaks intentially mistype words as part of the slang like "pwn."  Are they trying to broadcast the fact that they can't friggin spell?
The point of the misspelt slang is NOT that a person can't spell. The point is that they're taking a moment to point out the commedy of internet chat. "PWN" didn't just spring up, it's a misspelling of "OWN". By repeating the misspelling, a person isn't usually being an idiot, but is well aware of the mistake and actively uses it as comedy.

Back to the orginal post:

As for being sick or "gamer lingo" get the fuck over it. Right now. Seriously.

The technical term for your "gamer lingo"/"slang" is [url=http://www.answers.com/jargon]JARGON[/url], while the first definition does not apply (because the words do, in fact, have a meaning) the rest are nearly perfectly correct.

That said, jargon exists EVERYWHERE. Go into a mechanics shop and listen to them talk. Sit at a meeting of unix administrators and listen. Go have a business lunch between two laywers. ALL of these people are going to be using the "slang" of their respective communities that YOU are not going to understand. Maybe you will understand some of it. Regardless, simply blowing up at them because they do so, only make you look intolerant and upset for not being included in the clique.

Your raging doesn't do anything to help a problem that doesn't really exists. Most of the gamers *I* know could write a fantastic english essay -- but when you play the role, be it laywer, mechanic, businessman, or gamer you adopt the language of the land.

Yes this guy has a valid point here mate. If you don't like the slang then just don't put up with it and move on, use ventrilo or teamspeak more and just try to remember that a game is for fun. I have my "lango" or whatever with my mates and if you came shouting at us sayin you wanted to slit ur wrists.... id think you were a maniac...
=Robin-Hood=
A stranger in the dark
+213|6822|Belgium

I, thus as in my personal opinion, prefer full sentences, full stops, paragraphs and every little trick in the book to get your message to me, as efficient and appealing as possible. Thus commonly used abbreviation and such are equally good. As long as I don't have to reread it, bloody google it to understand it, or obtain a PhD in cryptology to get your freaking point, I am happy.

But, you teenagers, or hower-how-olds-you-are’s, if you’ve can’t live with the fact that someone has another opinion than you, if you get frustrated, aggravated, annoyed… or any other testosterone driven emotion that the thesaurus can come up it, just plug into the game and go “BOOM – Headshot” or whatever else gets your energy down a few notches.

But stop those statz-flame-my-dick-is-bigger-than-yours warz, because they are simply boring.

Miakei wrote:

I mean, I could hardly imagine a prominent CEO of a Fortune 500 company sending a memo out to his employees reading as such
'2 teh M-plyees of ABC Corp,
We R firing a bunch of n00bz for flaming the l33t chairmembers!!1!!11 If j00 even thinkz about a strike, j00 will B pwned!'
ROFL LOL
So right you are, but I have to admit, I would love to see one like those… Would that be EA’s way of doing busyness?

R

Last edited by =Robin-Hood= (2005-11-07 17:25:16)

Ryan

god dsahk, your just making things harder for yourself. more typing, and im not even listening...
i dont care if im worse than u, i dont play for hours on end, trying to get no where. the game is for fun, not trying to be the best. but i just said u suck cuz u were pissing me off.

btw, this whole topic, do want us to start using perfect english grammer and pselling, just to play a game? but the time i finished revising my damn sentence, id be killed 500 times over.

Last edited by ryan_14 (2005-11-07 17:45:08)

dshak
+4|6815
Ryan - All right, you just said I suck because I was pissing you off. Enough said. next time, just say I'm pissing you off. none of this makes anything any harder on me. a bunch of people yelled at me because I said I hate the word noob. think that keeps me up at night? and again, I've never attacked anyone specifically or told them they're 'wrong' or 'need to stop.' You have the right to use whatever stupid words you like, and I have the right to be annoyed by that fact. I simply wanted to know if anyone felt the same way about some of the commonly used jargon, lord forgive me for my curiousity.

and hawk... I am some kind of maniac, so you'd be right to think that.

Last edited by dshak (2005-11-07 18:08:07)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard