Crawdaddy79
+27|6538
How many times am I going to have to see that screenshot of a game that has yet to be released????

People have been complaining non-stop about BF2's performance... What do you think would happen if they used the Crysis engine instead?  Haven't you played Far Cry online?  It's laggy as hell, in case you haven't.   So is BF2, but a hell of a lot more is going on at the same time so it's forgivable.

Now let's add 3x the resources to Far Cry, and make it multiplayer, and call it BF3!  Great idea.  Post things like this more often.  Maybe DICE will listen.

Last edited by Crawdaddy79 (2006-06-11 23:49:43)

BF2Craglyeye
+72|6674|Australia

Cohammer wrote:

stop being so cheap, whats it gonna cost you 1000$ for a upgrade with vista. if u cant afford that every now and then, maybe u shouldnt live in USA with crappy education systems and a bad paying jobs
Yep ok ill just go out now and get that $1000 off the tree from outside.

Shit, how much crack  are you gonna have to sell for that????

But for the average person worldwide, that is alot of money. And that is 90% of your selling market.

hmmm.... rent/food or a new Graphics card and OS.

Last edited by BF2Craglyeye (2006-06-12 00:01:21)

chuckle_hound
+32|6668|Edinburgh, Scotland

Cohammer wrote:

i heard from a friend that tests at EA that crysis has a engine that can be used for a large scale mulitplayer game such as BF3
Well I heard from TWO friends at EA that you're a smelly poo head

Last edited by chuckle_hound (2006-06-12 00:01:02)

vpyroman
Aeon Supreme commander
+16|6618|UCF
To give you an estimate of the raw power used in Crysis, 1 leaf in Crysis has more technology in it than the entire game of Far Cry. Reasoning: It responds to air, bullets, gravity, the pull of the branch its attached to, air wake, it falls realistically. That's all I can remember.
SiMSaM16
+48|6695|United States of America
The cost of a game with those graphics would be too much for you to go out and spend $50 on. Plus, you would have to have an awesome system to run it.
c0rce
+11|6570
Not sure people have grasped this very well. This screenshot is from a game that is due for release this Winter, from the same studio that made Farcry. If you go to the Crytek site you can watch people playing out levels on it on current hardware. Someone mentioned it is dx10, I don't know about that but I don't think a game slated for release this Winter is likely to be dx10 since Vista won't be out and I'm not sure that any dx10 hardware would have been released. It looks like you will need top end hardware to run it, but Half Life 2 looks like you should need top end hardware to run it and it runs well on most setups.

In summary, no it is not too expensive to make such an engine because it is already quite far through production, do not assume that becasue BF2 runs like a dog that other games from other studios will automatically do the same. For what it is BF2 needs much too good hardware, especially the 2 Gb of RAM.
Lockman
+3|6645|Austin, TX
First things first.  Read slowly so you get it the first time.  Crytek is not owned be EA.  EA is publishing the games.  EA's logo feces will be plastered all over the game but will have little, if anything, to do with development.

Now, I have to say that some of you don't know a damn thing about what your preaching.  It's no secret that as new technology has been developed, it has been more expensive to produce a game.  Still, one of the coolest thing coming from all of this is better creation tools.  That, more than anything, is where the money is at and going.  You also must keep in mind the powerful game play engines like CryEngine 2 (whats behind Crysis there) are not design for exclusive use in one game.  They will get more mileage out of it through addons, licensing, etc.  Think about how many times BF2's engine has been recycled at this point.  Three addons and another new game coming soon.  Valve's Source engine is an excellent example of the same thing.  Source is behind a huge number of games.  You also have to keep in mind that Crysis is more than just a new game.  It's going to be a technology demo for DX10 and because of that, every bell and whistle that can be used will be used.  What everyone seems to be ignoring is that despite all the goodies, Crysis will be quite scalable.  Representatives at E3 (yup ladies, I was there) said if you have no trouble running BF2 a decent settings, Crysis will be the same.  An X800 will do that and if you look in the right place, you can nab one up for about $100.

Many modern games engines (Monolith's engine, Source, the Doom 3 engine, and to a small extent, BF2's) are designed to be scalable.  Thus the people that have the hardware get all the bells and whistles, the mid range guys (many enthusiasts) get a decent balance, and the low end guys (most people, actually) get to at least play.  Everyone will have to upgrade sooner or later.  If you know what your doing, you can cobble together quite a nice rig for very little buck.  And people, the world doesn't stop and wait for you to upgrade.  If the 80% of the gaming population that doesn't have a job (yet does all the bitching) would bother to work for a few weeks, they'd be happy with the payoff that effort afforded them.  I've busted my ass and now I run what was quite a high end machine.  If you can't be bothered to keep up, go buy a console.  PC gaming is, in my opinion, better.  But you have to be willing to pay the price it costs to stay in the pool.

Lastly, I'll say this about everyone touting on and on about the how much Crysis may cost.  Far Cry, at its launch, sported one of the most power game engines at the time.  In one patch, they added support for a basic form of HDR and were the first to do so.  The capabilities, though never fully taken advantage of, were greater than that of Doom3 and the revision of the Source engine that was around then.  And what do it cost the day it hit the shelves?  Lined up against a wall of $50 titles lacking a hint of the tech behind Far Cry, it was priced at $30.  Bargain bin prices on launch day.  That's fairly unheard of now.  Crysis will likely cost $50.  But I can easily say that it won't be $70+ or whatever crazy figure people want to imagine.
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6552|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth
Why isn't BF2142 gonna use the Ageia PhysX card, EA on't seem to want to evolve......
voltage
+46|6842|Sweden
Those pictures are nice, but they're just still pictures. If a player in that game do BF2 style jumps it's gonna bring me down to earth quicker than quick. BF2 is already disappointment when it comes to animation. It has great graphics but the player moves have not evolved much from Mario Brothers. With a stunning graphics like on those pictures, it will be even more disturbing with bunnies and dolphins.

Wouldn't be surprised if players legs clips through walls either. The details of those legs will be stunning however, you will see mud spots and everything.

Also when you drive into that shelter with a tank it will probably not get the tiniest dent, but your tank will take damage.
daffytag
cheese-it!
+104|6577
EA = Publisher

Crytek = Developer

Developers make games, publishers sell em.

Publishers often buy up the rights to a game, and take a bigger cut out of the profits.

I really think the developers should get paid more though
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6552|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth

voltage wrote:

Those pictures are nice, but they're just still pictures. If a player in that game do BF2 style jumps it's gonna bring me down to earth quicker than quick. BF2 is already disappointment when it comes to animation. It has great graphics but the player moves have not evolved much from Mario Brothers. With a stunning graphics like on those pictures, it will be even more disturbing with bunnies and dolphins.

Wouldn't be surprised if players legs clips through walls either. The details of those legs will be stunning however, you will see mud spots and everything.

Also when you drive into that shelter with a tank it will probably not get the tiniest dent, but your tank will take damage.
As I mentioned before, that's why the Ageia PhysX card was invented, to handle the game physics so that the Graphics Card can worry about the pretty visuals.....
ECH
+50|6644|Some where near you
This game is running on current hardware now.  I do not know of any DX10 video cards on the market to date so you have to assume it's current video cards using directx 9.  People are playing, test, etc... it now for fall release.  DX10 is not scheduled out until 2007 with the release of Vista. 

Here have a look
Homepage

Videos Section
Download this video:
Name:      NV News Gameplay             
Upload Date:     9/June/2006           
Resolution:     320x240           
File Size:     47.5mb           
Length:     4:08           
File Type:     WMV9           
Enhanced:     No

Also there is:
Name:      Crysis E3 2006 Trailer
Upload Date:     31/May/2006
Resolution:     640x360
File Size:     85.2mb
Length:     2:48
File Type:     WMV9
Enhanced:     Yes
Quality:     Excellent
It's a little dark but I think this video speaks for itself
Remember this is a fully functional and working copy of the game, not just some jazzy trailer

Imagine an engine like this for BF2, 2142 or BF3..is it too silly to believe that something like this could solve our bug woes?

Last edited by ECH (2006-06-12 04:51:18)

Towelly
It's A State Of Mind
+399|6592|Your attic
I always thought Ubisoft had a hand in the cry engine?? (Farcry ftw)
Anyway, that does look beautiful, as for people saying that it's gonna be a bitch to play on older systems, there are work arounds and optimizations. At the moment everything in the graphics market revolves around power, the big 512MB cards and all that, but sooner or later, it's going to come down to intelligence rather then just raw power. We could be seeing cards, with maybe the same 512MB, but becuase it's processed more intelligently and more effciently it would be able to smoke anything of the older times.
c0rce
+11|6570

voltage wrote:

Meh I said that you can watch videos of people playing the game, you can see what the model animations look like yourself. As for the jumping etc, this is a single player game I belive so you won't have to worry about that. If you watch the vids you'll see environments react to people, leaves and branches bend as you walk past/through them and there is a vid specifically showing a tank drive right through a shack which falls to pieces. The trees fall down when you blow them up and you can even cut them down with the bullets from your gun.

As a technology demo it looks really good, and from the level of immersion that brings it won't need to have more than an average game story to be a great game (similar to hl2).
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6666|NT, like Mick Dundee

Quantum computers are rapidly approaching... What a quantum computer can do shits on that engine...

Quantum Computers and mechanics
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
APoundOfNuts
+13|6557|UK

voltage wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcA6qMdq … rch=crysis

At the end of the vid.
This engine is awesome!
Can't wait for the game....

EDIT:

As far as I can see It'll have a 32 player Multiplayer Modus

Last edited by APoundOfNuts (2006-06-12 06:51:10)

voltage
+46|6842|Sweden
Ok, I've been a bit ignorant, will check those vids. I just wanted to rant a little. Seems game developers sometimes put too much effort in some areas while neglecting other.
rh27
Not really a Brit
+51|6598|England
These games are looking pretty nice, but quite frankly I really can't afford them.
My system is behind already, and I don't earn enough money to do everything I want, so it's the PC that will take a backseat while I do some other stuff.
I'll play the next generation of games in a minimum of 2 years time, by then there'll be yet another generation.
Spookyboy
+5|6651
god i so want Crysis out next year me thinks.

although i'm still over impressed with farcry, even though its 4 years old lol

luckily my pc runs it at 1600x1200 with everything on super duper high. looks awesome
Citizen One
한국 공주
+338|6650|South Korea.
That is some nice looking graphics, but I bet you need some uber duber graphics card for that, which I cant afford.

Aruba-Prime
[Expert Smoke Grenade]
+44|6776|Hamburg, Germany

Citizen One wrote:

That is some nice looking graphics, but I bet you need some uber duber graphics card for that, which I cant afford.

Well i have two but they're not dx10 so.....   

Last edited by Aruba-Prime (2006-06-12 08:13:46)

Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6845|Reykjavík, Iceland.
Graphics don't matter shit to me, because my GPU sucks!
kessel!
Peruvian Cocaine
+261|6766|Toronto Canada
at any rate, you should all check out the crysis gameplay video on google video. it looks awesome! you can blow everything up pretty much and the ai is really good. its almost photorealistic.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6768|UK

I~Love~Mysti wrote:

Who cares about eye popping graphics if the game plays like dog shit? I'd take a marginally graphical game with fun gameplay and no bugs/glitches over 5 fps any day.
your gunna love this then. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid … mp;q=spore

this game is incredible i terms of gameplay.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6651

If you look at the full size pictures on that site that Cold Fussion posted, it actually looks pretty crap.
EDIT: I mean look at that. Not particularily impressive

Last edited by ghettoperson (2006-06-12 08:34:59)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard