XxUNDEROATHxX
=(1C4L)=underOATH
+52|6658|Chandler, AZ
Does anyone know of a good free webhost...Our old one was pretrty good, but theyve been having ALOT of downtime latley, and today our website bit the dust for an unknown reason....So Im swicthing hosts...

All that I ask is they have 50-100MB files, and 5GB+ bandwidth....

Also, does anyone know how to move a site that is written in PHP...Im copying the files onto my computer right now, but im clueless when it comes to exporting teh MySQL databse...
duk0r
Administrator
+306|6669|Austin, TX

Make a backup of your current MySQL db: (this will also optimize the tables to help cut down on the size --opt)

Code:

mysqldump --opt -u username -p pass dbname > backup.sql
To restore the database on your new server:

Code:

mysql -u username -p pass dbname < backup.sql
Make sure you modify the main configuration files for your script(s) if the host/user/pass is different.

As far as a "Free" host goes. I don't know of any off hand.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/a3a6d1102d14bf2f7e266fba7f728dc2cc38b316.png
Coolbeano
Level 13.5 BF2S Ninja Penguin Sensei
+378|6765

Zeeblo Webhosting is great... I use it. Free subdomain, 100 megs of space and 5 gigs bandwidth. If you signed up last year before august, they had this DNS error and they're promise of '99.9% uptime guaranteed' was broken, so everyone got doubled, so i have 200 megs of space and 10 gigs b/w. Glee. All you need to do is sign up on their forums and request through a post, not hard to get accepted. The support/service is very responsive, virtually no limitations on your website (pretty much no illegal stuff) and there's a great community. Again, if you signed up last year, there was still this offer that when you got 500Z$ (obtained from posting on their forums enough, or winning lotteries, or someone pays you to help design their site or image or various jobs) that you could purchase a .com domain. So essentially free domains. Of course you could use the Z$ for other upgrades, but hell free .com?

But a lot has changed, not so many free options (they've removed the free domain) but it's still a great host.
XxUNDEROATHxX
=(1C4L)=underOATH
+52|6658|Chandler, AZ

Coolbeano wrote:

Zeeblo Webhosting is great... I use it. Free subdomain, 100 megs of space and 5 gigs bandwidth. If you signed up last year before august, they had this DNS error and they're promise of '99.9% uptime guaranteed' was broken, so everyone got doubled, so i have 200 megs of space and 10 gigs b/w. Glee. All you need to do is sign up on their forums and request through a post, not hard to get accepted. The support/service is very responsive, virtually no limitations on your website (pretty much no illegal stuff) and there's a great community. Again, if you signed up last year, there was still this offer that when you got 500Z$ (obtained from posting on their forums enough, or winning lotteries, or someone pays you to help design their site or image or various jobs) that you could purchase a .com domain. So essentially free domains. Of course you could use the Z$ for other upgrades, but hell free .com?

But a lot has changed, not so many free options (they've removed the free domain) but it's still a great host.
Ill try that, I already have a domain, I just need a good host...

Also, what Duk0r said.....Where do I enter that information. Is that the same thing that would happen if I log into the MySQL manager, click backup, and save to my computer? Then, with the new host I plan on logging into the MySQL database again, and importing what I have saved on my desktop....

Thanks though for you help, Im in a tough situation with my clan right now...Our treasuser is MIA, and hes been paying for the server by himself for teh past few months, and its finally stopped...So we lost vent and server with that...

And now I dont have any way to get in touch with my members because teh site is down (permanantly it looks like)and only about half use Xfire....

ahh, im just ranting again...lol
Frytrixa
+10|6628|Germany
Try http://fsphost.com/ 250MB free webspace, ftp possible, no traffic limit, no registration needed, you can start in less then 1min.
XxUNDEROATHxX
=(1C4L)=underOATH
+52|6658|Chandler, AZ

Frytrixa wrote:

Try http://fsphost.com/ 250MB free webspace, ftp possible, no traffic limit, no registration needed, you can start in less then 1min.
they dont support domains....But thanks anyway...+1 Karma
XxUNDEROATHxX
=(1C4L)=underOATH
+52|6658|Chandler, AZ

Coolbeano wrote:

They look pretty good, however the free plan does not have the bandwidth that I need...Im considering getting a paid webhosting, but with our site down, we cannot get support from all our members right now...
duk0r
Administrator
+306|6669|Austin, TX

UNDEROATH Those commands need to be typed in a command prompt in linux.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/a3a6d1102d14bf2f7e266fba7f728dc2cc38b316.png
JP3
+8|6671|Grammar Land
I know you're looking for free, so this isn't a direct answer to your question however in my experience, free sucks. heh.

I currently use Media Temple and love it, I still have a contract with 1and1 you can get a basic package with them for around 4 bucks a month, which is peanuts for what you get.

If you really want free, I'll be happy to work something out with you, I have gobs of space on my 1and1 account, you'd just have to point your domain, and I'll set you up with your own ftp access and all that jazz.

Josh

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard