dshak
+4|6821
now, n00blet, I could get used to that.
Sgt.Gh0st
Pump-Action Pimp
+16|6790|The Hague, Holland
Aaahw stop the talking about correct english sentances! If I wanna be lectured about how to wright my sentances in my own free time I'll go to school or something.

No dis-respect to any of you but come on!

Slang aint bad, its part of the computer-culture.

w00t
elbowdeeplove
BWNED!!!
+0|6789|Texas
I do have a bad habit of putting commas, where they shouldn't be,
Bubkin
Pay It Forward
+8|6789
It's because 99% of us went to public school. Be grateful we can communicate at all.

Last edited by Bubkin (2005-11-07 11:18:34)

atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6779|Atlanta, GA USA

dsb wrote:

Bubkin wrote:

Amen chuy.

I'm tired of posts like this complaining about the "jargon". It comes with the territory, it's part of the culture.

Now that being said, I do hate the posts from people who really can't spell and write like my 3rd-grade niece.
Does not knowing that when quotes end a sentence the ending punctuation should be inside the quotes count as writing like your 3rd-grade niece?

Example:
...about the "jargon".  = incorrect
...about the "jargon."  = correct

Just curious.
Actually, I believe you are incorrect.  If he were quoting a sentence (She said, "I went to the store." ) the quote would go after the period.  When quoting a single word ("Jargon") the end-quote would go before the period.

Edit:
Looks like it is done both ways.  From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_mark:

In American English, commas and periods always go inside the quotation marks, no matter the circumstance:

He is called “HAL.”
    Also called “plain quotes,” they are teardrops.

However, due the influence of computer science as explained above (see BNF rules for describing formal languages), the following is sometimes seen:

He is called “HAL”.
    Also called “plain quotes”, they are teardrops.

Last edited by atlvolunteer (2005-11-07 11:11:24)

dsb
+0|6785

atlvolunteer wrote:

Actually, I believe you are incorrect.  If he were quoting a sentence (She said, "I went to the store." ) the quote would go after the period.  When quoting a single word ("Jargon") the end-quote would go before the period.
I wasn't absolutely sure of what I said, so I looked it up.  I came up with the following link:
Purdue Univ. Website

There were others, but this is the only one that addresses the specific instance we're referring to here.

Bubkin wrote:

It's because 99% of us went to public school. Be greatful we can communicate at all.
lol

Last edited by dsb (2005-11-07 11:11:56)

Tyshalle83
+1|6760|Raleigh, NC
To me, writing is all about communication. Bitching about grammar and punctuation and even spelling to some degree just reveals your puckered asshole to the crowd who will be more than willing to open it up a little with a steel toe boot and a hard knob. As long as you can read what someone writes--ONCE--and understand exactly what they're talking about, without pausing so that you can stop to try and figure out WTF something means, or pausing because there's way too much punctuation (or not enough), then you shouldn't be bitching.

Everyone on the internet knows what lol, brb, wtf, and similar spouts of internet jargon means. Pwn is a bit gayer, and while I don't use it, I don't bitch about it too much. Cyber ebonics is a good way to put it, honestly, and much like ghetto talk, there are a lot of people who just hate that shit. I mean, yes, you've come to expect it on the internet on gaming forums and in games themselves, or in AOL chat rooms and other bullshit, but not everyone indulges and starts using those terms. A lot of people, black and white, bitch about ghetto talk. "Word up, Gee! Yo, lets go chill at the crib. Can I ax you a question?" Yes, obviously I'm a white guy who grew up in a middle-class neighborhood, let's ignore that. Some people hate it when others talk in ebonics. Others just kind of accept it. Regardless, there are certain places you can go and you'll expect to hear that kind of slang, but just because you expect it doesn't mean it isn't an annoyance. I mean, when you go to Subway you expect there to be a middle eastern guy fucking up your order because he barely understands english, but just because you expect it that doesn't mean you're not gonna bitch about it when you bite into your spicy ass tuna sandwich. It's all about communication.

If you understand someone easily, without having to read/listen extra carefully--if you can just read what they write at a glance and know what they're talking about, then bitching about it makes you an anus. I myself use conversational grammar and idiomatic spellings, but nothing aggrivates me more than when I see half a page worth of bullshit from some monkey fucker who must be typing with his cock. You know the type, it's like 40 lines, but all one paragraph. It's all bullshit "ur dum ppl kewl wit us n stuff b cuz i no wut is good abot this game liek u no wut i mean" and it just goes on and on and on, and not only do you feel stupider (ha, yes, intentional dickweed) for reading it, but you also come to the conclusion that the assbag who wrote it didn't actually say much of anything at all.

The original poster is right, it's all about how you want to present yourself. If you're the type who needs every last word to be perfect, right down to whether or not the period goes inside or outside the quotation marks (and for the record, it's not always inside, for instance, if you have a question about a quote, and your sentence ends with the quote you don't put the question mark inside the quotation marks, dipshits), then you've got one hell of a puckered asshole, and practically everyone's a fuckin' idiot to you, but at least when I read your shit I'll understand it. On the other hand, if you're that page and a half without spaces guy I was describing before, you're gonna look like a fuckin' moron to everyone who can type even marginally better than you, most of your posts will be skipped because you're a complete dumbass, but in the end, you and all the dipshits who look like you and write like you are gonna think we're all stupid asses anyway, simply for bitching about not being able to understand you.

It really isn't going to go away though, nor should it. But that's my personal philosophy; as long as you can understand the person, that's good enough.
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6779|Atlanta, GA USA
Its kinda funny that we are arguing grammar on a gaming forum...
elbowdeeplove
BWNED!!!
+0|6789|Texas

Bubkin wrote:

It's because 99% of us went to public school. Be greatful we can communicate at all.
I believe it is grateful,
elbowdeeplove
BWNED!!!
+0|6789|Texas

dsb wrote:

elbowdeeplove wrote:

I totally bwned my girlfriend last night.  Take that n00blet.
lol @ "bwned."
Remember where this word originated so that when every 14 year old geeky bastard spouts it off after he hits you with his grenade launcher you can track me down and kill me.

Last edited by elbowdeeplove (2005-11-07 11:17:21)

atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6779|Atlanta, GA USA

Bubkin wrote:

wut dus "communicate" meen?

Last edited by atlvolunteer (2005-11-07 11:18:04)

Bubkin
Pay It Forward
+8|6789

elbowdeeplove wrote:

Bubkin wrote:

It's because 99% of us went to public school. Be grateful we can communicate at all.
I believe it is grateful,
Yeah, that's what I said...

(Never you mind the edit)
elbowdeeplove
BWNED!!!
+0|6789|Texas
Its ok, I went to public school to,

Last edited by elbowdeeplove (2005-11-07 11:21:18)

=Robin-Hood=
A stranger in the dark
+213|6828|Belgium

Sgt.Gh0st wrote:

Aaahw, stop the talking about correct english sentances! If I wanna be lectured about how to wright my sentances in my own free time, I'll go to school or something. Thus, you would go to school in your own free time?
No dis- respect to any of you, but come on!
w00t
Sorry... But it was stronger than myself, now go and flame me a bit...
R
PS.: and I most probably failed to spot a few...
@Ghost... hehe the return of elpaso?

Edit:
OMG the BBCode took me so long that this is completely out of contex...

atlvolunteer wrote:

Hehe... Indeed

Last edited by =Robin-Hood= (2005-11-07 11:31:38)

Bubkin
Pay It Forward
+8|6789

Tyshalle83 wrote:

To me, writing is all about communication. Bitching about grammar and punctuation and even spelling to some degree just reveals your puckered asshole to the crowd who will be more than willing to open it up a little with a steel toe boot and a hard knob. As long as you can read what someone writes--ONCE--and understand exactly what they're talking about, without pausing so that you can stop to try and figure out WTF something means, or pausing because there's way too much punctuation (or not enough), then you shouldn't be bitching.

Everyone on the internet knows what lol, brb, wtf, and similar spouts of internet jargon means. Pwn is a bit gayer, and while I don't use it, I don't bitch about it too much. Cyber ebonics is a good way to put it, honestly, and much like ghetto talk, there are a lot of people who just hate that shit. I mean, yes, you've come to expect it on the internet on gaming forums and in games themselves, or in AOL chat rooms and other bullshit, but not everyone indulges and starts using those terms. A lot of people, black and white, bitch about ghetto talk. "Word up, Gee! Yo, lets go chill at the crib. Can I ax you a question?" Yes, obviously I'm a white guy who grew up in a middle-class neighborhood, let's ignore that. Some people hate it when others talk in ebonics. Others just kind of accept it. Regardless, there are certain places you can go and you'll expect to hear that kind of slang, but just because you expect it doesn't mean it isn't an annoyance. I mean, when you go to Subway you expect there to be a middle eastern guy fucking up your order because he barely understands english, but just because you expect it that doesn't mean you're not gonna bitch about it when you bite into your spicy ass tuna sandwich. It's all about communication.

If you understand someone easily, without having to read/listen extra carefully--if you can just read what they write at a glance and know what they're talking about, then bitching about it makes you an anus. I myself use conversational grammar and idiomatic spellings, but nothing aggrivates me more than when I see half a page worth of bullshit from some monkey fucker who must be typing with his cock. You know the type, it's like 40 lines, but all one paragraph. It's all bullshit "ur dum ppl kewl wit us n stuff b cuz i no wut is good abot this game liek u no wut i mean" and it just goes on and on and on, and not only do you feel stupider (ha, yes, intentional dickweed) for reading it, but you also come to the conclusion that the assbag who wrote it didn't actually say much of anything at all.

The original poster is right, it's all about how you want to present yourself. If you're the type who needs every last word to be perfect, right down to whether or not the period goes inside or outside the quotation marks (and for the record, it's not always inside, for instance, if you have a question about a quote, and your sentence ends with the quote you don't put the question mark inside the quotation marks, dipshits), then you've got one hell of a puckered asshole, and practically everyone's a fuckin' idiot to you, but at least when I read your shit I'll understand it. On the other hand, if you're that page and a half without spaces guy I was describing before, you're gonna look like a fuckin' moron to everyone who can type even marginally better than you, most of your posts will be skipped because you're a complete dumbass, but in the end, you and all the dipshits who look like you and write like you are gonna think we're all stupid asses anyway, simply for bitching about not being able to understand you.

It really isn't going to go away though, nor should it. But that's my personal philosophy; as long as you can understand the person, that's good enough.
"4 out of 5 stars. I laughed, I cried. A fabulous entertainment wrought with mystery, adventure, and rapier-sharp wit. Mr. Tyshalle83 kept me reading..." -Bubkin, Author of Grammar, Public Schooling, Game Forums, and YOU!
dsb
+0|6785

atlvolunteer wrote:

i was just thinking that...at least now we can all go and tell someone in our lives that games are, indeed, educational (like my proper use of the comma? ).

elbowdeeplove wrote:

Remember where this word originated so that when every 14 year old geeky bastard spouts it off after he hits you with his grenade launcher you can track me down and kill me.
I'm going to start using it games until it replaces "pwned."  Then we can all come and bitch at you for another damned annoying cyber ebonics word.

Then we can all write a book and call it "The Evolution of Ownage...I mean Pwnage...I mean Bwnage..."
dsb
+0|6785

Tyshalle83 wrote:

a lot
What if I can't understand you because my attention span didn't last as long as the novel you wrote to explain your philosophy?  Are you at fault for being too wordy?  Or is it me and my short-ass attention span?

Last edited by dsb (2005-11-07 11:46:19)

=Robin-Hood=
A stranger in the dark
+213|6828|Belgium

Tyshalle83 wrote:

a lot
As long as it is comprehensible after the first read, I agree.

dsb wrote:

Are you at fault for being too wordy?  Or is it me and my short-ass attention span?
He did use white lines, as in paragraphs, so it was endurable. However, it was a true test for endurance.
R
BF2dude
+1|6784
I think the word "Cornhole" should be used more in BF2.

Example: You stole my chopper you cornhole!.

Last edited by BF2dude (2005-11-07 11:55:13)

beeng
Get C4, here!
+66|6794

BF2dude wrote:

I think the word "Cornhole" should be used more in BF2.

Example: Hey you stole my chopper you cornhole!.
I like to use kumquat
it sounds -really- vulgar if you use the right tone
"YOU FREAKIN KUMQUATS, GET YOUR BUTTS BACK HERE!"
BF2dude
+1|6784
lol kumquat.

Is that some sort of fruite ?
Sgt.Gh0st
Pump-Action Pimp
+16|6790|The Hague, Holland

=Robin-Hood= wrote:

Sgt.Gh0st wrote:

Aaahw, stop the talking about correct english sentances! If I wanna be lectured about how to wright my sentances in my own free time, I'll go to school or something. Thus, you would go to school in your own free time?
No dis- respect to any of you, but come on!
w00t
Sorry... But it was stronger than myself, now go and flame me a bit...
R
PS.: and I most probably failed to spot a few...
@Ghost... hehe the return of elpaso?
Y'arg.. It be true, I be pwned

Clever basterd..

*gimma a break im Dutch*
Tyshalle83
+1|6760|Raleigh, NC
dsb - Nobody can fault you for thinking I'm long winded. And for those of you with the talent to say a hell of a lot in a few words, I applaud you. I say a hell of a lot in a lot of words. There's a lot of people who don't say much in either meaning or word count, and likewise there's a lot of people who go on and on and on without ever really getting to the point. At least with me you can see exactly what you get.
PFCStenzel
Check your AA alarm...
+82|6802|Idaho, USA / Age 30
Yes it is annoying.  Very annoying.  But sometimes it is funny to see it.
=Robin-Hood=
A stranger in the dark
+213|6828|Belgium

BF2dude wrote:

lol kumquat.
Is that some sort of fruite ?
yes: http://starchefs.com/features/kumquats/html/index.shtml

Sgt.Gh0st wrote:

*gimma a break im Dutch*
Hehe... I know.

Tyshalle83 wrote:

dsb - Nobody can fault you for thinking I'm long winded. And for those of you with the talent to say a hell of a lot in a few words, I applaud you. I say a hell of a lot in a lot of words. There's a lot of people who don't say much in either meaning or word count, and likewise there's a lot of people who go on and on and on without ever really getting to the point. At least with me you can see exactly what you get.
Uhm, now, what was your point exactly?
R

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard